Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited August 2017

RedChaser said:

I thought Ajose was signed before Slade got the job no?

That's what I thought.
    Great minds and all that, also I got the feeling after half a dozen games or so that Slade had to play him rather than wanted to play him.
  • This seems familiar from an Everton forum:

Everton need a striker that will deliver 20 goals a season otherwise they will struggle. Seventh place will be beyond them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Could Nick Blackman cut it in league one? Derby are looking to loan him out.

He's unlikely to go to a Champ club following his loss of form at Derby but he did ok at clubs before that (remember him scoring and playing well vs us in the Championship when at Reading).

Good shout, he was mustard for Reading in the games I've seen him in. Didn't he play wide left though? Mind you Johnny Summers was a left winger but weren't too shabby at centre forward.
  • JamesSeed said:

Scoham said:

Scoham said:

It is always the same - what I find fascinating is why the bother actually bringing in some decent players, but never finishing the job and the squad is always missing somewhere which always gets exposed. Answers on a post card please!

Roland's preference for a small squad to force academy players to get a chance, whether they're ready/good enough or not.
    I agree but it just adds to the mystery. Why allow KR the chance to get Reeves and Clarke. Just tell him to use Aribo
    We're always 1-3 players short. This year it's right back and up front where we're lacking cover. Last year Phillips, Konsa, Hanlan and eventually Aribo had to step up. Before that KAG and Kennedy were two thrown in too early.

No coincidence they're often strikers, who are the most expensive players to sign.
    Agreed but your missing the point. Why bother making a squad at all only to leave us a few players short. Why not just not bother at all, ensure all the youngsters are being used
    Because that would be a really bad idea?
    But that doesn't bother him surely. I just don't see the point in nearly building a squad. Have a go or don't bother at all.

We all know RD wants to put the youngsters in the shop withdow but he's actually blocked that with some of his signings.

He's a bizarre man that's for sure.
  • edited August 2017
    Blackman can play as a winger or a striker (which could be ideal as that was the bonus with Mavididi). He ticks alot of the boxes. 6ft 2. Pacey. He would definitely give us another alternative option/style to what we have with our other forwards.
  • Ajose would have thrived with our current players in a 442 system. Holmes/Marshall/Fosu out wide would have given him lots of chances as well as what came through central midfield from Kashi/KFC/Reeves. It's so odd we let him go, especially if we need to change up tactics (though KR is set in his 4231 ways) and especially as it's to a divisional rival.
  • edited August 2017
    Swisdom said:

Roland didn't release players.

Katrien wanted Watt out. "Why should we keep giving him chances when he hasn't showed up for two years - the problem is nobody wants to buy him"

Safe to say when we said "we had plenty of interest in him but the offer had to be right for us" it meant we wanted to sell him not loan him again.

Ajose is, was and will continue to be shit.
    Vetojele is currently and constantly is injured.

Yes we are light on strikers but we are no weaker than we've been for ages.

Why does she get to say whether watt stayed or not? Why would she want him gone? I really hope he did sing we want Roland out in front of her and I hope he sung it when he left the building too
  • Could Nick Blackman cut it in league one? Derby are looking to loan him out.

He's unlikely to go to a Champ club following his loss of form at Derby but he did ok at clubs before that (remember him scoring and playing well vs us in the Championship when at Reading).

Should this not be on the striker thread and not on the Roland out one?
  • Blackman going on loan to a club in Israel
  • edited August 2017
  • Sponsored links:

• TelMc32 said:

Swisdom said:

Roland didn't release players.

Katrien wanted Watt out. "Why should we keep giving him chances when he hasn't showed up for two years - the problem is nobody wants to buy him"

Safe to say when we said "we had plenty of interest in him but the offer had to be right for us" it meant we wanted to sell him not loan him again.

Ajose is, was and will continue to be shit.
    Vetojele is currently and constantly is injured.

Yes we are light on strikers but we are no weaker than we've been for ages.

Should you really be being spoon fed at your age??

We've given Katrien chances for 3 and a half years...she hasn't shown up and no one else wants her either! Can she go and join Tony Watt??

Any mention of a fee? We did SELL him, didn't we? Will it cover the wages of the other strikers we are paying who don't actually play for US any more??

Others have already pointed out the flaw in your "Slide" (sic) wanted him assertion.

"No weaker than we've been..." is, in absolutely no way, any confirmation that they have learned from their mistakes.

It's a confirmation that we'll plod along with the same modus operandi...the one that has dropped us further and further into the shit since these incompetents got their hands on our club!!

Only it's not the same old MO is it.
    That involved network players and unsuitable managers.
    There's no point in saying it hasn't changed at all when it has, even if further changes are needed.
  • still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.
  • Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    So just the first sentence is correct then. That last one is not.
    Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget

still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.

Gobby now being reported in the local Bristol rag as having talked to Chris Lines about our players salaries. If he tells all and sundry about our players inflated pay he should not be too surprised when potential recruits hold out for more and delay deals as a result. At least we now know what Gobby is doing when he is on the phone 3 hours a day.
  • sm said:

Swisdom said:

All incomings have been ok Karl's wish list. He is calling the shots.

I think some of the criticism of this comment has been unfair. I do believe every signing made has been a player Robinson wanted, there just hasn't been enough of them!
    So just the first sentence is correct then. That last one is not.
    Well he is calling the shots regarding players we sign, but not budget

still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.

Gobby now being reported in the local Bristol rag as having talked to Chris Lines about our players salaries. If he tells all and sundry about our players inflated pay he should not be too surprised when potential recruits hold out for more and delay deals as a result. At least we now know what Gobby is doing when he is on the phone 3 hours a day.
    Got a link or photo @sm
  • You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

If we hadn't fans would criticise saying " another one we missed out on"

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.