Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited August 2017

still got an unsuitable manager though, in my opinion of course.

I'd argue he's far less unsuitable than his predesessors, with the possible exception of Riga.

Actually, a suit might not be a bad idea.

Boom boom.
  • You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Agreed, although the argument is that they in many people's eyes they seeeeeeem to have learned something since then. The old Meire/Driesen signing system looks to be dead and buried, from the 'network' days to the Ajose signing.

Something has changed. I have no idea who or what is behind the change, but if it means we're beginning to move in the right direction it would be churlish not to acknowledge that.

It doesn't mean that what went on in the past should be forgotten, far from it. But trying to build up a head of steam to launch more protests on the grounds of something that happened in the past would be de very difficult.

'Spend more money on a striker!' doesn't really do it as a chant, much as I wish they would.
  • Thanks

That refers to KR speaking to Lines last season when we still had Tex, Sarr and Kashi on big money.
    So now still Sarr and Kashi on big money, as only Tex has left. I doubt Holmes and Pearce are now paid peanuts either.
  • edited August 2017

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

If we hadn't fans would criticise saying " another one we missed out on"

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

Who hired the person who made the decision to hire Steve Head??? And who hired them???

With all this delving into the past, this could end up like an episode if "Who so you think you are?".
  • Sponsored links:

• Halix said:

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

Who hired the person who made the decision to hire Steve Head??? And who hired them???

This could end up like an episode if "Who so you think you are?".
    Was thinking more the muppet show...
  • I still think Ajose could have been more of a success if we played system that suited him. It's the common issue with players being bought by a DoF or Head Scout type system, it relies on the club having a settled playing system, with players bought for that system.

KR has gradually built up a team set up to play 4-2-3-1. If we sacked him and brought in another coach who played 4-2-3-1, the change should be relatively easy, whereas if the next guy wanted 3-4-3 or 4-4-2, the current squad wouldn't work as successfully
  • JamesSeed said:

TelMc32 said:

Swisdom said:

Roland didn't release players.

Katrien wanted Watt out. "Why should we keep giving him chances when he hasn't showed up for two years - the problem is nobody wants to buy him"

Safe to say when we said "we had plenty of interest in him but the offer had to be right for us" it meant we wanted to sell him not loan him again.

Ajose is, was and will continue to be shit.
    Vetojele is currently and constantly is injured.

Yes we are light on strikers but we are no weaker than we've been for ages.

Should you really be being spoon fed at your age??

We've given Katrien chances for 3 and a half years...she hasn't shown up and no one else wants her either! Can she go and join Tony Watt??

Any mention of a fee? We did SELL him, didn't we? Will it cover the wages of the other strikers we are paying who don't actually play for US any more??

Others have already pointed out the flaw in your "Slide" (sic) wanted him assertion.

"No weaker than we've been..." is, in absolutely no way, any confirmation that they have learned from their mistakes.

It's a confirmation that we'll plod along with the same modus operandi...the one that has dropped us further and further into the shit since these incompetents got their hands on our club!!

Only it's not the same old MO is it.
    That involved network players and unsuitable managers.
    There's no point in saying it hasn't changed at all when it has, even if further changes are needed.
    IMO it is still the same old. It just is in a different guise. Smoke screen basically.

We are told Karl has 100% control of playing matters by RD & KM yet KM wanted Watt gone & so it happens, I assume Swisdom got this from the horses mouth or he wouldn't have publicly stated it.

• There is a difference from saying you have learned from your mistakes and actually doing so. The clue that this is the case comes when you get the explanation of the mistake - it is essential to understand what the mistake is to learn from it I would say. When we get their interpretation of the mistake, we don't get anything about squad balance which most of us that understand football would put it down to, but not employing an English manager or player which is nonsense.

Yes, having a manager or even a player who understands the league is useful, but Riga wasn't a mistake! What this distortion in terms of interpreting the mistake actually tries to do in my opinion, is blame the managers. I am not saying that Peeters or Luzon were the best managers in our history, but they were not idiots and would have done better with better backing and balanced squads - and Peeters at least has said as much.
  • In view of recent comments from KR, can we have a new poll; wiith the current squad do you think we will finish a) top two, b) top six, or c) neither.

C all day from me and new manager by January. Which is disappointing because I believe that Meire and Duchatalet appreciate the financial benefits of being in tier two rather than three but won't invest to get there.

The rumour element? There will be no additions this window.
  • Could this thread be re-named Ill informed speculation?
  • Sponsored links:

• Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

Ajose is also on big wages. Only one person to blame for that.
    You really are an angry birdie!

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Still don't let that get in the way of you blaming the management will you.

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.
    Just as well there are a few 'apologists' to give a balanced view on here!

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

You weren't questioning KM, you were blaming her!
  • JamesSeed said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    That would imply that he had more than one amazing season. Which he hadn't.
    He was a classic stats signing, based on that one season.
    I have no idea how from that comment, how it indicates he had more than one amazing season, I'm sure you can tell I'm not a fan of his and he has only ever had one good season.

However, I do agree that we purchased him on the strength of that one season. We took a chance and it failed, at least we are not paying all of his wages as Bury are now lumbered!
  • Ajose had one season of good form and everyone here, without much thinking, said we will have him because he's clearly a goal scorer!

Michael Rickets was god awful but had one good season for Bolton and got a couple of England caps in the process but afterwards went to utter pot! I would put Ajose in that bracket.
    Harry Kane is a goal-scorer and will always have an above average season.

Ajose was a ploy to get the fans onboard with us looking like we are getting the best players in league 1!
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
  • edited August 2017
    id like to go on record as saying a BLAME Katy and her poodles for the shit state the clubs in this isnt a rumour ---sorry
  • edited August 2017

Ajose had one season of good form and everyone here, without much thinking, said we will have him because he's clearly a goal scorer!

Michael Rickets was god awful but had one good season for Bolton and got a couple of England caps in the process but afterwards went to utter pot! I would put Ajose in that bracket.
    Harry Kane is a goal-scorer and will always have an above average season.

Ajose was a ploy to get the fans onboard with us looking like we are getting the best players in league 1!

No, many not "everyone" was happy. Some were sceptical for the very reason that it had been only one season and said so at the time.

But you are right that there were high levels of optimism when he signed and the signing was welcomed, me included.

A bit like this season then.
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
    Had Ajose turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread and was scoring for fun, would you have turned around and said well done to KM for signing him, I doubt it!

We are all living in hope that we can at least sign another striker and keeper before the end of the window, but we have done some good business so far, Reeves, Marshall, Clark, Fosu, kept Holmes and Pearce with improved contracts. I'm sure KM has played her part in making this happen, but no one is going to congratulate her are they!

• nope your right there ---well maybe her PR company getting hundreds of pounds a day might