Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Lost Timmy Abraham a striker & brother of Tammy to Fulham & Largie Ramazani aged 16 a striker with bags of potential & ability to Manchester United. So not keeping hold of academy strikers who show promise.
    Worrying for the future!
  • edited August 2017

Lost Timmy Abraham a striker & brother of Tammy to Fulham & Largie Ramazani aged 16 a striker with bags of potential & ability to Manchester United. So not keeping hold of academy strikers who show promise.
    Worrying for the future!

The one who signed for Man United after playing for them in one trial is a joke. Whoever made that decision not to keep hold of him is going to prove to be a big mistake in my opinion.
  • Hurst signed for Rotherham on loan

He was always going to stay up north.

He was always going to stay up north.
    So... people actually like living up there?
  • Sage said:

Lost Timmy Abraham a striker & brother of Tammy to Fulham & Largie Ramazani aged 16 a striker with bags of potential & ability to Manchester United. So not keeping hold of academy strikers who show promise.
    Worrying for the future!

The one who signed for Man United after playing for them in one trial is a joke. Whoever made that decision not to keep hold of him is going to prove to be a big mistake in my opinion.

We didn't have a say in it. Largie's head was turned and his parents forced the issue. We did all we could but cannot compete with Man Utd. He's just like Defoe

I'm told Timmy Abrahams isn't as good as he thinks an lives a bit on his brothers reputation.

• Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

If we hadn't fans would criticise saying " another one we missed out on"

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

Ajose is also on big wages. Only one person to blame for that.
    You really are an angry birdie!

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Still don't let that get in the way of you blaming the management will you.

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.
    Just as well there are a few 'apologists' to give a balanced view on here!

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

You weren't questioning KM, you were blaming her!
    Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
    Had Ajose turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread and was scoring for fun, would you have turned around and said well done to KM for signing him, I doubt it!

We are all living in hope that we can at least sign another striker and keeper before the end of the window, but we have done some good business so far, Reeves, Marshall, Clark, Fosu, kept Holmes and Pearce with improved contracts. I'm sure KM has played her part in making this happen, but no one is going to congratulate her are they!

Ffs have a day off.

You caused a massive row on Wednesday.
    Eh! massive row, must have missed that then!

Thought this was a forum for all views not just the blinkered :wink:
    Realists v apologists refusing to open their eyes and admit defeat.

I still like you though Al despite the nasty things you say about me!

Always thought he'd come South.
  • Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Essex_Al said:

Swisdom said:

You say it's irrelevant who signed Ajose? Sorry you are wrong. A player was signed without consultation with a new head coach. 800k on a player who did not fit into both Slade's and Robinson systems and this is still having an impact on Robinson as he can't spend that money on getting the forward he wants. Whose fault? Meire is to blame as she is CEO who made the decision to buy him on the recommendation of Steve Head ( Where is he now....Oh yeah another Meire apppointment).

It's not irrelevant who signs players that is the point and why mistakes are made with so many players under this regime that is still impacting on the club 3 years on

Ajose was available at the time so they got him based upon stats presumably. Yes - risky. But we as fans were largely excited at the time

If we hadn't fans would criticise saying " another one we missed out on"

Steve Head had held many prestigious jobs so the club hired him (again fans were positive) and listened to him ( no point hiring him and ignoring him) - it didn't work out for either. It still impacts us. These things happen in football. The knock-on is we need at least one striker now.
    I expect there's a bit of mind games from KR and he has a little more to spend but clubs know we are desperate so are bumping up the prices. Again this would have been averted had we sorted our shit out earlier. As ever.

Who made the decision to hire Steve Head before getting a head coach then getting rid of him months later?

Ajose is also on big wages. Only one person to blame for that.
    You really are an angry birdie!

In every other club in the land, strikers will be on the most wages. When we signed him, Ajose had just had his best ever season and scored a hatful of goals. You can be sure he didn't come to us because we are the mighty Charlton, he came because we offered him more money than he was on at Swindon, that's all players are interested in these days.

Most fans were excited when we signed him thinking we had signed a striker to score plenty of goals for us, did anyone care how much we had to pay to get him, no of course not!

Still don't let that get in the way of you blaming the management will you.

Like I keep saying, Ajose was shite before Swindon and shite since, and now can't even get into Bury's team!
    Apologists out in force today. Is there any other League One club that would pay him over £5k a week? And if he was 'shite before Swindon' then you've got to question the extent of our scouting and salary offered haven't you?

Just because I question Katrien Meire rather than believe everything she says, doesn't make me an 'angry birdie'.
    Just as well there are a few 'apologists' to give a balanced view on here!

I'd be pretty certain that there are a number of clubs in this division paying over £5k for their strikers.

We took a chance with Ajose, hoping he would score goals for us, it has failed miserably, that's football I'm afraid! I certainly wasn't a fan that was overly excited by his signing, but plenty were!

You weren't questioning KM, you were blaming her!
    Yeah, you're right, I do blame her. She's the CEO. If we've got players who aren't good enough on long-term contracts and big money that the club admit aren't good enough and they now can't afford, who else would you blame?
    Had Ajose turned out to be the best thing since sliced bread and was scoring for fun, would you have turned around and said well done to KM for signing him, I doubt it!

We are all living in hope that we can at least sign another striker and keeper before the end of the window, but we have done some good business so far, Reeves, Marshall, Clark, Fosu, kept Holmes and Pearce with improved contracts. I'm sure KM has played her part in making this happen, but no one is going to congratulate her are they!

Ffs have a day off.

You caused a massive row on Wednesday.
    Eh! massive row, must have missed that then!

Thought this was a forum for all views not just the blinkered :wink:
    Realists v apologists refusing to open their eyes and admit defeat.

I still like you though Al despite the nasty things you say about me!
    Ah, the realist who died of an open mind.

Always thought he'd come South.
    South...Yorkshire.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    We won't get rid of Novak. Who is going to pay 6k a week in League 1? This is not the regimes fault. Slade wanted him and they backed Slade.
  • Redhenry said:

We won't get rid of Novak. Who is going to pay 6k a week in League 1? This is not the regimes fault. Slade wanted him and they backed Slade.

1 out of 2 Strikers that Slade wanted ain't bad.
  • Redhenry said:

That's just it, they won't need to pay him 6k - I'm sure we will just carry on subsidising his wages.
  • edited August 2017
    Redhenry said:

I thought we had Slade lined up before he took the job? I could be completely wrong and he was indeed Slade's Man
  • Redhenry said:

Have you forgotten who our owners are? We'll probably let a league one promotion rival take him and subsidise 5k a week of his wages.
  • vffvff
    edited August 2017
    Novak hasn't really settled at Charlton, I can't remember too many outstanding moments, apart from a couple of memorable misses. Maybe he just needs a run of games but needs to take his chance when it arrives. Sometimes it doesn't work out with players & it is best for them to move on.

In normal club situations maybe that allows the current manager to get in a striker that he wants. Given that Watt, Vetekele & Ajose have moved on without replacement, there is no guarantee that Novak would be replaced. That would leave the frontline even more threadbare. That would be a concern.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    Last season was his worst League One season in his career. Think he can only get better, if we keep hold of him and can get 10 goals out of him as a back up /competition for Magennis then I'll be happy.

09/10: 12 goals
    10/11: 5 goals
    11/12: 13 goals
    (three seasons in the Championship)
    15/16: 14 goals
    16/17: 2 goals
  • Halix said:

I guess the worry is we have actually thinned the squad. I don't understand why we need to lose Novak and Lennon to buy a striker. Watt and Ajose have gone, and we have the Lookman money so if we don't pay out, it's because Roland wants the money for himself. As the window winds down, this is currently a very bad one. There's still time to get a couple in, but with our goalkeeping and striker issues as well as a paper thin squad, and KR needs to grow a pair and tell the SMT they have repeated the same mistakes again.

For heavens sake, how many times must it be said, the Lookman money was LAST year, it went into the Belgian kitty LAST year, its deceased and gone to meet its maker, it has ceased to be, it is an ex transfer. However it did have beautiful plumage.
    What about the £10m we got for Scott Parker? Even the £1m we got for Humphrey and Williams would be enough to buy a striker for this season.
  • Sage said:

Worrying for the future!

At 16 I think players still have freedom of movement so there's not much we could do I don't think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • SDAddick said:

Sage said:

Worrying for the future!

At 16 I think players still have freedom of movement so there's not much we could do I don't think. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Think your right as kids can only officially be tied down once they reach 18-years old... I think as well that clubs can only sign these kids if they live within a certain radius

Of course if Im right, the clubs just get around this by moving the whole family to within that specified radius... Something else the Sporting Bodies could no doubt control if they wanted to stop big teams from stockpiling these kids!!
  • edited August 2017

Halix said:

I guess the worry is we have actually thinned the squad. I don't understand why we need to lose Novak and Lennon to buy a striker. Watt and Ajose have gone, and we have the Lookman money so if we don't pay out, it's because Roland wants the money for himself. As the window winds down, this is currently a very bad one. There's still time to get a couple in, but with our goalkeeping and striker issues as well as a paper thin squad, and KR needs to grow a pair and tell the SMT they have repeated the same mistakes again.

For heavens sake, how many times must it be said, the Lookman money was LAST year, it went into the Belgian kitty LAST year, its deceased and gone to meet its maker, it has ceased to be, it is an ex transfer. However it did have beautiful plumage.
    What about the £10m we got for Scott Parker? Even the £1m we got for Humphrey and Williams would be enough to buy a striker for this season.
    Didnt Killer go for about £300k? Or perhaps we could re-sign him?, his knees are in slightly better nick than Sollys!
  • edited August 2017
    Scoham said:
    I hope he does but what he wants and what he gets in terms of quality, could well be two different things.
  • And a keeper?
  • We still need decent cover at Left back as well. If we were to lose DaSilva for any length of time, I wouldn't fancy Jackson playing there.

Don't know why he wants another winger. Clearly a striker is the priority, and 2 if Novak goes.