Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• It's probably been mentioned on here already but Harry Forrester signed for AFC Wimbledon.
  • It's probably been mentioned on here already but Harry Forrester signed for AFC Wimbledon.

Very good signing for them!
  • Reluctant Nicko says we're after Godden. Stevenage want 'fortunes'.
  • sam3110 said:

I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

Can only hope though, would be a good signing.

One of the more prolific league one strikers in recent years, of course he would start
    Not inspiring loyalty in your players when you sign someone and chuck him straight in the team ahead of the guy you have issued a new contract to for being consistent...
    Yeah we should start Crofts over Kashi aswell because he was nowhere to be seen last season
    Are you joking? That's not the same meaning at all so I'm guessing it's a joke?

Billy Clarke is playing well...would you drop him for a fit again Ben Reeves just because he's a supposedly better player?
    What's the difference? You pick your best team to win the match. We need to keep winning football matches to get promotion.

If I thought Reeves could offer more than Clarke, then yes I would put him in ahead of him. At the minute, he cannot offer more than Clarke so he doesn't start.

Magennis might have a new contract, but I don't think he's even playing that well anyway so I disagree with you.
    He was poor against Plymouth but yesterday seemed to have turned a corner according to reports. Thats fine to disagree as you are entitled to an opinion but imo it doesn't make sense to upset a group dynamic when there playing well as a team. Big Mag starts looking poor then give Grigg or whoever we sign a chance.
  • I'm not questioning his goalscoring ability, it's pretty obvious he can score as he's done it with 3 different clubs. I'm questioning whether he can play as a lone central striker, or if all those goals came playing up front with a strike partner in a 442 (genuine question as i don't know)

He's not exactly tall and from memory i wouldn't class him as a big/strong striker, so will offer almost no physical presence like Magennis does

Didn't he play as a lone striker at MK Dons?
  • edited August 2017
    Grigg would get in the team ahead of Magennis. I like Magennis a lot, but from a central striker you want 20 goals a season - I don't think he has that in his locker, even at League 1 level....Grigg has.

It's all about trying to get the best players you can in to the team.
  • edited August 2017

sam3110 said:

I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

One of the more prolific league one strikers in recent years, of course he would start
    Not inspiring loyalty in your players when you sign someone and chuck him straight in the team ahead of the guy you have issued a new contract to for being consistent...
    Yeah we should start Crofts over Kashi aswell because he was nowhere to be seen last season
    Are you joking? That's not the same meaning at all so I'm guessing it's a joke?

Billy Clarke is playing well...would you drop him for a fit again Ben Reeves just because he's a supposedly better player?
    What's the difference? You pick your best team to win the match. We need to keep winning football matches to get promotion.

If I thought Reeves could offer more than Clarke, then yes I would put him in ahead of him. At the minute, he cannot offer more than Clarke so he doesn't start.

Magennis might have a new contract, but I don't think he's even playing that well anyway so I disagree with you.
    He was poor against Plymouth but yesterday seemed to have turned a corner according to reports. Thats fine to disagree as you are entitled to an opinion but imo it doesn't make sense to upset a group dynamic when there playing well as a team. Big Mag starts looking poor then give Grigg or whoever we sign a chance.
    I don't think he should sign Thursday and start Saturday admittedly. But he is a better goalscorer then Magennis so should be in the team ahead of him. Turned a corner? He could and should have had a hat trick. He played ok but won't score enough goals. It didn't matter yesterday but it did against Plymouth and will again in the future.

All pointless anyway I guess as he hasn't signed and I don't actually think he will
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

As far as I know, we want Grigg and he wants to come to us. The problem is Wigan and whether they allow him to leave, but that is also down to Wigan possibly signing another striker if he comes to us.

Like many things in football, there's a domino effect, we just have to hope they fall for us.

Any source for that? Haven't read anywhere that he wants to come to us. Would be good if he did of course.
  • I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

I wouldn't sign anyone who isn't a better goalscoring option than Magennis. In an ideal world at least. Grigg does seem to be far more prolific, and with luck our midfield should create way more chances than the likes of Crofts, Foley and Ulvestadt did last season.
  • sam3110 said:

That's football for you. It's how you manage these situations that counts.
  • edited August 2017
    Oggy Red said:

Given the service, there's no reason why Magennis can't score at least 15 goals this season, while still doing the off the ball stuff that creates the platform for other players to create and score goals.

Well, there's not no reason, he has never scored more than 10 in his career so far (as a starter). He's a great option for the squad but if there is a consistent 20 goal a season striker at this level out there we can get, it would be silly not to upgrade.

I don't think this is too unfair a comparison, imagine our title winning season with Deon Burton instead of BWP. We'd have drawn quite a few more games.
  • Oggy Red said:

Given the service, there's no reason why Magennis can't score at least 15 goals this season, while still doing the off the ball stuff that creates the platform for other players to create and score goals.

Well, there's not no reason, he has never scored more than 10 in his career so far (as a starter). He's a great option for the squad but if there is a consistent 20 goal a season striker at this level out there we can get, it would be silly not to upgrade.

I don't think this is too unfair a comparison, imagine our title winning season with Deon Burton instead of BWP. We'd have drawn quite a few more games.
    Or imagine 09/10 with BWP in the squad. Would have gone up automatically.
  • Scoham said:

Oggy Red said:

Or imagine 09/10 with BWP in the squad. Would have gone up automatically.
    If we'd had another decent striker, like Yann, alongside Burton, we'd have gone up in 09/10.

• Richard J said:

cfgs said:

Anyway, this might have been mentioned on one of the forward related threads, but Ketts says on his Dr Kish blog that it is Will Grigg that we are pursuing.

actually he doesn't. He says that Grigg fits the describtion make by Tarby and that as an ex-MK dons player it could well be him

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201708&date=20170820&time=0739
    Devante Cole fits it as well.

Could we trade Novak in part exchange?
    Webuyanycrap.com
  • edited August 2017
    Oggy Red said:

But he is a better goalscorer then Magennis so should be in the team ahead of him.

Maybe Grigg is the more prolific goalscorer but I shouldn't understimate what else Magennis brings to the team.

As the lone forward, he provides, mobility, muscle and aerial presence (just as important when defending set pieces in a generally lightweight team) and vital link up play with the midfield.

Oggy Red said:

But he is a better goalscorer then Magennis so should be in the team ahead of him.

Maybe Grigg is the more prolific goalscorer but I shouldn't understimate what else Magennis brings to the team.

As the lone forward, he provides, mobility, muscle and aerial presence (just as important when defending set pieces in a generally lightweight team) and vital link up play with the midfield.

Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

I do completely agree and I rate Magennis. The point about helping the defence in set pieces is also something I have thought of and is a very valid point.

However, we do need a goalscorer. We have many players capable of chipping in but that's not going to be enough. We kept a clean sheet against Bristol Rovers, we scored enough yesterday but the Plymouth game highlighted the problem. It's all well and good Magennis doing good work for the team, but that's wasted if he misses good chances and that costs us points.

He might be possible of 15 goals, the evidence suggests that will be a push.

Regardless, we need another quality forward in and the signing of someone like Grigg will convince me we can go up.
  • If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.
  • If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.

We are still short at full back and reliant on our two staying fit but I would accept that if we sign another good striker.

Phillips out on loan with a keeper arriving and possibly a winger on loan until January in an ideal world but they are not priorities.
  • Sponsored links:

We are still short at full back and reliant on our two staying fit but I would accept that if we sign another good striker.

Phillips out on loan with a keeper arriving and possibly a winger on loan until January in an ideal world but they are not priorities.
    We're ok at RB; reports on Dijksteel are good and Konsa looks an absolute thoroughbred. Left back looks dodgy beyond JDS
  • wmcf123 said:

If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.

We're ok at RB; reports on Dijksteel are good and Konsa looks an absolute thoroughbred. Left back looks dodgy beyond JDS
    Compared to other areas on the pitch, RB is still a bit of a risk. I thought we should sign someone but it's certainly not a priority. Konsa can play there and we have three others in Barnes, Dijksteel and RCC. But in truth, that is very inexperienced cover. The reports on Dijksteel are good, but this is based on a pre-season friendly or two and a cup game against League 2 opposition. He is still raw and not even a RB by trade. LB cover is 2 CB's in Lennon and Sarr, a RB in Barnes and Jackson. In terms of numbers thats fine but not sure I would want any of them playing much time there. Obviously we have Page but not sure when he's back, always seems injured.
  • Magennis has regularly started ahead of Grigg for N Ireland, which suggests that his all round game is maybe better?

Either way, I don't think it's obvious that Grigg would automatically play instead of Josh

• JamesSeed said:

Sage said:

As far as I know, we want Grigg and he wants to come to us. The problem is Wigan and whether they allow him to leave, but that is also down to Wigan possibly signing another striker if he comes to us.

Like many things in football, there's a domino effect, we just have to hope they fall for us.

Any source for that? Haven't read anywhere that he wants to come to us. Would be good if he did of course.
    Nothing to read publicly but it is something that Grigg does want to do. If you need more than just me saying it and want something else, have a listen carefully to exactly what Robinson says in his post match interview, it confirms what I have been told.

Grigg has worked with Robinson before, was prolific for him and to put it this way, Wigan are playing a Newcastle youngster in front of him right now, that's not saying Grigg isn't good enough, because he is, he'd just prefer to leave and join us instead.

On a side note, and this isn't something of source but throwing it out there.. how would people feel if Novak was involved in some kind of deal to bring Grigg to the club? It allows him to move back up north, we get him off the books and he can kickstart his career, whilst we sign a player who has been very good in this league and for Robinson previously. We would of course need to sign another one on loan too, or it would leave us in the same position as we are now.
  • edited August 2017

wmcf123 said:

If we get Grigg I will be seriously impressed with our recruitment this summer, I am still left unconvinced that they won't leave us short in at least one area though.

Compared to other areas on the pitch, RB is still a bit of a risk. I thought we should sign someone but it's certainly not a priority. Konsa can play there and we have three others in Barnes, Dijksteel and RCC. But in truth, that is very inexperienced cover. The reports on Dijksteel are good, but this is based on a pre-season friendly or two and a cup game against League 2 opposition. He is still raw and not even a RB by trade. LB cover is 2 CB's in Lennon and Sarr, a RB in Barnes and Jackson. In terms of numbers thats fine but not sure I would want any of them playing much time there. Obviously we have Page but not sure when he's back, always seems injured.
    League 2 opposition who have started the season well. I was one who gave Dijksteel a glowing reference based on his performance v Exeter, it doesn't matter who the opposition is, the basics such as tackling, control, passing, movement and reading the game will still be the same if it's Exeter or Wigan. I first saw Konsa vs Ipswich in the pre-season friendly last year and knew then what a talent he was too.

I appreciate the point you make about having senior backup but IMO Dijksteel is good enough for this level to play a good run of games and I would far rather any money we have available goes on another striker. I do share your concern about lack of cover at left back while Page is out though.
  • wmcf123 said:

League 2 opposition who have started the season well. I was one who gave Dijksteel a glowing reference based on his performance v Exeter, it doesn't matter who the opposition is, the basics such as tackling, control, passing, movement and reading the game will still be the same if it's Exeter or Wigan. I first saw Konsa vs Ipswich in the pre-season friendly last year and knew then what a talent he was too.

I appreciate the point you make about having senior backup but IMO Dijksteel is good enough for this level to play a good run of games and I would far rather any money we have available goes on another striker. I do share your concern about lack of cover at left back while Page is out though.
    Don't get me wrong, I have repeatedly stated the priority is the striker. I was more talking about in an ideal world, then we are short at full-back, possibly a winger to cover Marshall and a keeper with Phillips loaned out.

Obviously we are on a budget so you need to prioritise and a striker is desperately needed, whether Novak stays or not. I haven't seen Dijksteel yet but am not doubting how well he has played so far. But we do need to remember he is still a young player, and possibly not a RB. Would still be a risk if he had to fill in for an injured Solly if he happened to be out for a month or two. That being said, I have always encouraged the use of youngsters. We are a League 1 side, not Champions League contenders so I'm sure he could do a job.
  • We are only short of a striker at this point in time and maybe a goalkeeper.

We have two players for every other position and this is a very strong squad.
  • Something odd here re Novak. Wanting him out seemingly not coming from the club so this has been the player and agent.

With two weeks left of the window I can only assume that Novaks agent has been touting his player around behind the clubs back. If he hasn't then finding a new club willing to take LN on would seem unlikely given the short time involved.