Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Do we really need a winger? Fosu, Holmes, Marshall and KAG. Surely two strikers would be a better investment?

That can only happen if Novak goes.

A few injuries and KAG will be starting. Him and Fosu look promising but I'm not yet convinced they guarantee goals and assists in the way Holmes does.

Realistically maybe he thinks we need at least one, a striker/winger would be ideal. Someone physical enough to play up front but with enough pace to play out wide. Mavididi would have fit that role in the squad.
  • We still need decent cover at Left back as well. If we were to lose DaSilva for any length of time, I wouldn't fancy Jackson playing there.

Don't know why he wants another winger. Clearly a striker is the priority, and 2 if Novak goes.

Maybe Novak isn't going? Agent talk to keep him in KR's mind during the red card period?
  • Saw marshall in the car park before the game limping and looking in alot of pain. Dont know if his injury is worse than previously thought... may show the need for another winger
  • From KRs interview it sounds like we're after someone from a rival club, Grigg?
  • From KRs interview it sounds like we're after someone from a rival club, Grigg?

Yet again KR cannot keep his mouth shut when perhaps it would be wise to do so.
  • We still need decent cover at Left back as well. If we were to lose DaSilva for any length of time, I wouldn't fancy Jackson playing there.

Don't know why he wants another winger. Clearly a striker is the priority, and 2 if Novak goes.

Page? Not sure how long it'll be before he's fit again, but I thought he showed promise.
  • JamesSeed said:

We still need decent cover at Left back as well. If we were to lose DaSilva for any length of time, I wouldn't fancy Jackson playing there.

Page? Not sure how long it'll be before he's fit again, but I thought he showed promise.
    I forgot all about him.
  • edited August 2017
    No longer a sticky!!!

Sad times indeed.
  • Anyway, this might have been mentioned on one of the forward related threads, but Ketts says on his Dr Kish blog that it is Will Grigg that we are pursuing.
  • cfgs said:

Anyway, this might have been mentioned on one of the forward related threads, but Ketts says on his Dr Kish blog that it is Will Grigg that we are pursuing.

actually he doesn't. He says that Grigg fits the describtion make by Tarby and that as an ex-MK dons player it could well be him

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201708&date=20170820&time=0739
  • Sponsored links:

• As much as I would like us to sign Grigg I really can't see it happening. I'm sure that Grigg won't be happy sitting on the bench but I bet Paul Cook is very pleased with that level of player to be called upon. Toney the loanee from Newcastle I presume could be recalled in January ? and of course might get an injury. Unless Wigan have other good options better than Grigg which is unlikely I can't see them releasing him.

I wonder if Matty Taylor could be back on the cards now that he's slipped further down the pecking order at Bristol City.

My money is on a Prem loanee which as we already know is a bit of a gamble.
  • cfgs said:

Anyway, this might have been mentioned on one of the forward related threads, but Ketts says on his Dr Kish blog that it is Will Grigg that we are pursuing.

actually he doesn't. He says that Grigg fits the describtion make by Tarby and that as an ex-MK dons player it could well be him

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201708&date=20170820&time=0739
    Devante Cole fits it as well.

Could we trade Novak in part exchange?
  • Is Grigg any more likely to start for us than he is for Wigan? Surely in a 4231 formation, Magennis will always be the first choice striker when he's fit.

Where would Grigg play? He's not a winger who will replace Holmes/Marshall/Fosu and i can't see him playing ahead of Clarke or Reeves in the attacking midfield position.

Don't get me wrong, he'd obviously be a welcome addition to the squad, but not sure where he fits in.
  • I'm not questioning his goalscoring ability, it's pretty obvious he can score as he's done it with 3 different clubs. I'm questioning whether he can play as a lone central striker, or if all those goals came playing up front with a strike partner in a 442 (genuine question as i don't know)

He's not exactly tall and from memory i wouldn't class him as a big/strong striker, so will offer almost no physical presence like Magennis does
  • Sage said:

As far as I know, we want Grigg and he wants to come to us. The problem is Wigan and whether they allow him to leave, but that is also down to Wigan possibly signing another striker if he comes to us.

Like many things in football, there's a domino effect, we just have to hope they fall for us.

How do you know Grigg wants to come to us? I don't think anyone knows that unless your Griggs Dad.....

#itsdelortsdadalloveagain
  • Sage said:

As far as I know, we want Grigg and he wants to come to us. The problem is Wigan and whether they allow him to leave, but that is also down to Wigan possibly signing another striker if he comes to us.

Like many things in football, there's a domino effect, we just have to hope they fall for us.

How do you know Grigg wants to come to us? I don't think anyone knows that unless your Griggs Dad.....

#itsdelortsdadalloveagain
    Well I'm assuming that the noises coming from Grigg and his agent to Charlton are that they are willing.

• I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

Can only hope though, would be a good signing.
  • Sponsored links:

• I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

One of the more prolific league one strikers in recent years, of course he would start
  • sam3110 said:

I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

One of the more prolific league one strikers in recent years, of course he would start
    Not inspiring loyalty in your players when you sign someone and chuck him straight in the team ahead of the guy you have issued a new contract to for being consistent...
  • sam3110 said:

I dont think Grigg would necessarily start but the idea of a new challenge and a potentially fair crack of the whip if/when he does might be enough to get him over the line, if he & Charlton are looking to make it happen of course!

Not inspiring loyalty in your players when you sign someone and chuck him straight in the team ahead of the guy you have issued a new contract to for being consistent...
    Yeah we should start Crofts over Kashi aswell because he was nowhere to be seen last season
  • edited August 2017

sam3110 said:

Yeah we should start Crofts over Kashi aswell because he was nowhere to be seen last season
    Are you joking? That's not the same meaning at all so I'm guessing it's a joke?

Billy Clarke is playing well...would you drop him for a fit again Ben Reeves just because he's a supposedly better player?

He'd definitely be a starter. A he's a better striker than anything we have including Big Mag and B he's not going to come from sitting on the bench at Wigan to sitting on the bench at Charlton.

Whether he can play up on his own as effectively as Magennis does is open for debate but Robinson certainly knows him well enough.

• Bubble said:

sam3110 said:

Billy Clarke is playing well...would you drop him for a fit again Ben Reeves just because he's a supposedly better player?
    Paul Hayes looked good before Kermorgaant turned up
    Hayes has his chance and didnt take it, Yann came in and kept him out, thats fine.

Magennis is playing well in a team that are clicking but it's fine just to sign Grigg and sack Josh off?
  • edited August 2017
    If he proved he was the better player in training then of course he starts. He doesn't get in the team on reputation alone. Magennis usually gets the nod for Northern Ireland ahead of Grigg.

None of this matters anyway because we're not signing him.
  • sam3110 said:

What's the difference? You pick your best team to win the match. We need to keep winning football matches to get promotion.

If I thought Reeves could offer more than Clarke, then yes I would put him in ahead of him. At the minute, he cannot offer more than Clarke so he doesn't start.

Magennis might have a new contract, but I don't think he's even playing that well anyway so I disagree with you.

He'd definitely be a starter. A he's a better striker than anything we have including Big Mag and B he's not going to come from sitting on the bench at Wigan to sitting on the bench at Charlton.

Whether he can play up on his own as effectively as Magennis does is open for debate but Robinson certainly knows him well enough.

Good enough to start, yes. Thats not the point i'm making though.

If he promised a good go if or when Big Mag loses form then why not? He is a professional at the end of the day and might be up for the challenge?