Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Perfect storm brewing.
    We need to transfer in league points more than anything else. Not that it bothers Roland that much.
  • Who is this West Ham player?
  • “I can’t guarantee anything, no. I’m not going to lie to anybody. We’ve brought in a lot of strikers, Tony Watt’s been one, we spent a lot of money bringing Nicky Ajose in last summer and Lee Novak came in. But I can’t guarantee [that a striker will be signed] just yet. It’s something I’m working on.”

He added: “It’s not my fault, it’s previous things that have been done and maybe people have been left to do what they need to do and put us in this position. We’ve not really spent money in the summer, we’ve done things right.

So who and what is KR blaming then?

Excuse me for being thick but, thay makes fuck all sense on the whole or in part. The only discernable thing to come from that codswallop is, "it's NOT my fault"
    No, you're right, most of it doesn't make sense.
  • dickplumb said:

Who is this West Ham player?

As we are going for record of double-barrelled surnames, surely its Jahmal Hector-Ingram
  • dickplumb said:

Toni Martinez? Spent time on loan with Oxford last season.
  • Richie Towell?

Where's this come from ?

Towell would be great

Just made it up, but played 3 games last year for Brighton, yet they offered him a new 2 year contract in the summer so must be a player there. Can't see him ever playing for them so why not let us have him on loan for a bit?
  • Richard J said:

dickplumb said:

Toni Martinez? Spent time on loan with Oxford last season.
    yeah could be, didn't score many, if any at Oxford. They had a young striker at Newport aswell, but he also failed to do much, and that was the league below.
  • 17th august and we have got rid of 3 strikers and currently have 1 that can't hit a cows ass with a banjo, and has been confirmed that we wont be making ANY signings until next week, which means right near end of season so its the shit nobody wants going on the cheap.

learned from there mistakes - have they fuck.

will be a repeat of last season, and will keep happening until we are sold.

see some pleb on social media saying " negativity isnt wanted this season" should be reminded that charlton is situated in london not north Korea and we have a right of free speech to a certain extent, another reason to stay away from the valley is hearing goons like that probably slagging card off.

Why would that stop you from going to the Valley? I don't mind CARD, I admire the fact they want the best for the club, even if they are not everyones cup of tea. But I certainly wouldn't stay away because people slag them off, thats nonsense.
    as i said ANOTHER, the main reason being i think its hypocritical to moan about roland then go and give him season ticket money - just my opinion. last season i did get along to a few games, only paid for 2 even if its 200 quid less a season its still less money for him to not spend on making the club competitive etc.

its always been about balancing the books and always will, kr wont be here come the end of the season, he will have had enough, he is a puppet as there his employers, but deep down i think he knows that he is destined for another club, there's only so much he can do, he knows we need more players and roland wont spend, when were languishing in 15th in october no doubt some will say give him till the transfer window etc.
    So you're saying all managers are puppets? How much freedom does any manager have? You're right though, KR will be judged by results.

I was surprised in the summer how few people were saying we needed a new striker. Josh/Novak/Watt never looked good enough to lead a genuine promotion push imho. We also badly need another Rudd type to shore up the defense.

I think the side we have now is good enough for top 10 but I reckon we'll struggle against the best sides, unfortunately.
  • other than waffle too much it probably "isnt his fault" ...probably as frustrated as all of us
  • Regardless of form, attitude etc, to let all of Ajose, Igor and Watt go out of the door without getting in at least one striker before all 3 had left feels negligent to me. So why is that not the current management's fault (whether KR, KM, RD, I don't care)?

I don't do Twitter or Facebook, but perhaps someone could ask Richard Cawley to ask that question....or would he lose his credentials (!!) if he asks difficult questions?
  • Sponsored links:

• More from clickbait/pop up hell

"Charlton boss Karl Robinson says he can’t guarantee the club will sign a striker before the transfer window shuts.

Josh Magennis and Lee Novak are the Addicks’ only senior forwards following Tony Watt’s departure last weekend.

And Robinson has previously spoken about the need to sign another striker.

When asked how close he was to bringing one in, he said: “No. We’re not at the moment. We’re trying to bring one in. It’s obvious where we need players.

“I can’t guarantee anything, no. I’m not going to lie to anybody. We’ve brought in a lot of strikers, Tony Watt’s been one, we spent a lot of money bringing Nicky Ajose in last summer and Lee Novak came in. But I can’t guarantee [that a striker will be signed] just yet. It’s something I’m working on.”

He added: “It’s not my fault, it’s previous things that have been done and maybe people have been left to do what they need to do and put us in this position. We’ve not really spent money in the summer, we’ve done things right.

“I’m not one for wasting money, I like to do things in the correct way and give young players a chance. You look at our squad and it’s basically made up of academy players which is a good thing for the future of this football club. I can’t promise anything but we’re working on it.

“You can bring a striker in for a minimal fee but does he really have an effect and drive the football club forward? I’m not sure. We have to have someone who is going to have an effect.”

Young Charlton striker Reeco Hackett-Fairchild made his league debut against Plymouth, coming off the bench as a late substitute.

He impressed in pre-season and looks set to be another starlet from the Addicks’ academy.

Robinson admits Hackett-Fairchild might have to make the permanent step-up to the senior team with the club’s shortage of strikers.

He added: “He might have to [make the step-up]. He’s a really talented individual. He’s got great feet and tremendous awareness on where he is on the football pitch.
    "

And yet people still sneer and mock when I mention Reeco.

The swines! I, for one, am right behind you. I'd like to see him start on Saturday.

• cafc-west said:

Can we please cut the Towell jokes. Its absorbing far too much of my time coming on here to see if the rumours have completely dried up.

Agreed let's stick to the crux of the matter, sign him him up as I'm sure he'll wipe the floor with most CB's in L1.
  • JamesSeed said:

17th august and we have got rid of 3 strikers and currently have 1 that can't hit a cows ass with a banjo, and has been confirmed that we wont be making ANY signings until next week, which means right near end of season so its the shit nobody wants going on the cheap.

see some pleb on social media saying " negativity isnt wanted this season" should be reminded that charlton is situated in london not north Korea and we have a right of free speech to a certain extent, another reason to stay away from the valley is hearing goons like that probably slagging card off.

Why would that stop you from going to the Valley? I don't mind CARD, I admire the fact they want the best for the club, even if they are not everyones cup of tea. But I certainly wouldn't stay away because people slag them off, thats nonsense.
    as i said ANOTHER, the main reason being i think its hypocritical to moan about roland then go and give him season ticket money - just my opinion. last season i did get along to a few games, only paid for 2 even if its 200 quid less a season its still less money for him to not spend on making the club competitive etc.

its always been about balancing the books and always will, kr wont be here come the end of the season, he will have had enough, he is a puppet as there his employers, but deep down i think he knows that he is destined for another club, there's only so much he can do, he knows we need more players and roland wont spend, when were languishing in 15th in october no doubt some will say give him till the transfer window etc.
    So you're saying all managers are puppets? How much freedom does any manager have? You're right though, KR will be judged by results.

I was surprised in the summer how few people were saying we needed a new striker. Josh/Novak/Watt never looked good enough to lead a genuine promotion push imho. We also badly need another Rudd type to shore up the defense.

I think the side we have now is good enough for top 10 but I reckon we'll struggle against the best sides, unfortunately.
    Rudd? He wasn't even that good. No better than Phillips imo. If Phillips needs a season where he plays every game it should be with us. Seems plenty of other Clubs think he is good enough.
    I agree. Keep Phillips and start him on Saturday.
    I we need another keeper it's only as his number 2.
    Not sure Amos is up to that standard.
  • JamesSeed said:

17th august and we have got rid of 3 strikers and currently have 1 that can't hit a cows ass with a banjo, and has been confirmed that we wont be making ANY signings until next week, which means right near end of season so its the shit nobody wants going on the cheap.

not at all but this regime in particular know how to run a football club better than any manager ever, equally karl must of looked at what has gone on previously here and obviously fancied his chances. deep down he knows that its bollocks for the fans, but he has to put food on the table as so to speak so must get on with come octoberish time if were right down there i expect him to be sacked, and it wont be deserved but as you and others say you are judged on results, with the exception of some of the clown imports, it hasn't really been the managers fault.
  • “I can’t guarantee anything, no. I’m not going to lie to anybody. We’ve brought in a lot of strikers, Tony Watt’s been one, we spent a lot of money bringing Nicky Ajose in last summer and Lee Novak came in. But I can’t guarantee [that a striker will be signed] just yet. It’s something I’m working on.”

So who and what is KR blaming then?

KM and RD.

Not a popular opinion, but I rather like him.
  • edited August 2017
    If only we were part of something like a european network, and could bring in a striker from abroad somehow.
  • If, and it's a huge if, we get promoted - there is no way this lot will fund the team enough to stay up. They have made sure they have spent next to nothing on fees this summer but told us the money is there (just like every window) and we just won't pay the fees people are asking for (it's because Charlton are a huge club and we are on the up...).

Once again we have the makings of a very strong team but we only have two senior strikers, both of which seem liable to get injured and are very similar players.

What's the point in this kind of semi-investment every year
  • Also, once again we were told we need 3-4 players, that no-one else would be leaving but what has happened? We have lost Watt (he may have seemed lazy but he did contribute with the odd goal) and we are still talking about shipping Philips out without any sign of another keeper coming in - are we going to rely on Maynard-Brewer, surely not.

Slade had exactly the same situation , where he dropped the number of players we needed to sign each time he spoke to the press and we eventually signed one or two but let more than that go.

I was feeling positive about this season. With our ridiculous midfield and a strong back four (with decent sub's too) but we are so short up front and have one senior keeper (assuming Philips goes). The season has started you fools.
  • I think Robbo is managing fans expectations at the moment, I think he had a players lined up which he wanted, but is not willing to pay over the odds. While I think the money is there for the right player for the club and manager, they are not going to throw money at it like previously.

Expecting us to sign at least 3 players before the window finishes.

He is in a lose.. lose situation if have doesn't mention potential signings, he lose because of lacking ambition! Or if he mentions signings and they don't come he loses again!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    DubaiCAFC said:

I think Robbo is managing fans expectations at the moment, I think he had a players lined up which he wanted, but is not willing to pay over the odds. While I think the money is there for the right player for the club and manager, they are not going to throw money at it like previously.

Expecting us to sign at least 3 players before the window finishes.

He is in a lose.. lose situation if have doesn't mention potential signings, he lose because of lacking ambition! Or if he mentions signings and they don't come he loses again!

Then perhaps he needs to change a habit he has and stay stum then. He doesn't need to say things like its not my fault and I am not sure if I can get one in. He can say nothing. Yes, managing fans expectations is not easy when the summer has been so promising so far. Nobody expects him to come out and slag off the owners, but I think he hinted to that today anyway.

Having noted what he has said today, I reckon the funds are not there and he will end up with someone he doesn't want/need. He will then say the market wasn't right, couldn't get it over the line, etc. I actually believe we will sign a striker, but it will be a loan and a huge gamble, not what we need.

I cannot say 3 players coming in. In fact, I don't even think we need it as the squad isn't too bad. It just needs a striker desperately, and possibly a keeper if he wants to loan Phillips out.
  • @Henry Irving Whats this West Ham striker business???
  • “I can’t guarantee anything, no. I’m not going to lie to anybody. We’ve brought in a lot of strikers, Tony Watt’s been one, we spent a lot of money bringing Nicky Ajose in last summer and Lee Novak came in"

Not sure what point he's trying to make unless it's that we're still paying for Watt and Ajose's wages so we have no money for a new striker. In which case we might as well have kept Ajose.
  • Any rumours?
  • Essex_Al said:

JamesSeed said:

Rudd? He wasn't even that good. No better than Phillips imo. If Phillips needs a season where he plays every game it should be with us. Seems plenty of other Clubs think he is good enough.
    Sometimes I wonder what games you are watching, Rudd was a far superior keeper!
    That's not a rumour.
  • @Henry Irving Whats this West Ham striker business???

Just a whisper going around