Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• ross1 said:

Not the first player Charlton has had that was managed by his mum. The oldies will remember this player, although his name escapes me for a moment. I think it was in the 60's or 70's, a winger with us who wanted to go back home to South Africa I believe, and his mum negotiated a deal with Charlton. Come on oldies, what was his name. Got it Cliff Durandt 1962-1965

Was it Oosthuizen ?
    I thought he used to play golf.
  • I don't know where he is playing now but I have always rated Adam Le Fondre at this level.
  • I don't know where he is playing now but I have always rated Adam Le Fondre at this level.

Bolton.

Bolton.
    Which would then suggest he is on wages we would not be prepared to pay.

Bolton.
    They did push the boat out and pay big wages to recruit the likes of Henry, Beevers & Le Fondre last season (we're led to believe that even 4th choice squad players like Amos were on good money with them too). Just shows that a bit of investment can get you out of this league. Them and Sheff United invested the most and went for it.....and they finished 1st and 2nd as a result.

Bolton.
    They did push the boat out and pay big wages to recruit the likes of Henry, Beevers & Le Fondre last season (we're led to believe that even 4th choice squad players like Amos were on good money with them too). Just shows that a bit of investment can get you out of this league. Them and Sheff United invested the most and went for it.....and they finished 1st and 2nd as a result.
    Bolton are in extreme financial difficulties so that wasn't sustainable at all.

You don't need to go out and spend millions. Robinson has built a good squad with limited funds. However, its the same as every year. We are a couple of players short and he's told he cant buy anymore and we are left short again.
  • Go and get that Ramozotti bloke from Brunei (one of last year's silly rumours). He had a great highlights vid! 6ft 4" and looked like he could power in a header.

Unknown quantity.....could be our outfield version of Sasa Ilic !! Got to be good for the crack.....
  • Wonder if BWP is feeling homesick? :wink:
  • edited August 2017
    Simonsen said:

Go and get that Ramozotti bloke from Brunei (one of last year's silly rumours). He had a great highlights vid! 6ft 4" and looked like he could power in a header.

Unknown quantity.....could be our outfield version of Sasa Ilic !! Got to be good for the crack.....

74 games, 55 goals for Brunei.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:

Wonder if BWP is feeling homesick? :wink:

I hear he's earning around £300,000 a week... There's a reason with his goalscoring record there, he hasn't returned to the UK.
    Not a chance he is on anywhere near that.
  • Dazzler21 said:

I hear he's earning around £300,000 a week... There's a reason with his goalscoring record there, he hasn't returned to the UK.
    $600,000 a year in 2015.
  • I know there has been criticism of the owners for a long time now and, probably, rightly so but with every change in manager there is a kind of 'start again' in each window.

In January Robinson said that we just missed out at the end of the window and that he was going to start on the summer signings straight away. What that does mean is that there is no justification for us not having what those making the decisions want on 1st September. So I think we have to assume that the squad will be, exactly, what RD and/or KM want it to be in a fortnight.

Ignoring injuries and suspensions (and I might have a small amount of sympathy with Marshall) there will be no hiding place if this season doesn't bring promotion - or, at least, get very close.

They have had six months to build this squad and with no change of manager and a fixed style of playing (4-2-3-1) if we fall short it will be because that is what they want to have happened. It won't be a mistake that they can learn from it will be an indication of what they want for our club and there can be no 'second chances' for them.

I know people have been saying this for months and months but there is, literally, nothing they can hide behind this time.

So does a top 6 finish mean they have changed and we move forward together?

Just asking.

• We've had months and months to sort out this striker issue. I wonder just how much is down to Robinson not prioritising the need because he's become too fixated on wingers and number 10's. Where to be fair we look well blessed for a league one club. Now it might well be that it's all down to Duchatelet not wanting to spend but I'm beginning to think it has been a certain amount of negligence on the part of KR. The signatures of Holmes, Marshall, Reeves and Fosu have stretched the budget allocated to the point where we find ourselves once again with an unbalanced squad and in desperation in the last two weeks of the window.
  • I think Robinson had Mavididi penciled in as the striker he wanted to compete with Magennis and Novak. Now that's gone, he doesn't know what to do, especially with the rumoured budget.
  • edited August 2017
    For me it's a case of 'sign a 20 goal a season striker or bust' as the minimum requirement for a shot at promotion. Simple as that.

As @kings hill addick rightly pointed out the regime have nothing to hide behind this time.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Salary, Sponsorships and Compensation would say otherwise, especially as he's seen as the no.1 player in the MLS right now.

(Giovinco is seen as the next best player in the world of the MLS)
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Salary, Sponsorships and Compensation would say otherwise, especially as he's seen as the no.1 player in the MLS right now.

I know he's done well over there, but surely Kaka is a bigger star over there than BWP?
  • Redrobo said:

I know there has been criticism of the owners for a long time now and, probably, rightly so but with every change in manager there is a kind of 'start again' in each window.

In January Robinson said that we just missed out at the end of the window and that he was going to start on the summer signings straight away. What that does mean is that there is no justification for us not having what those making the decisions want on 1st September. So I think we have to assume that the squad will be, exactly, what RD and/or KM want it to be in a fortnight.

Ignoring injuries and suspensions (and I might have a small amount of sympathy with Marshall) there will be no hiding place if this season doesn't bring promotion - or, at least, get very close.

They have had six months to build this squad and with no change of manager and a fixed style of playing (4-2-3-1) if we fall short it will be because that is what they want to have happened. It won't be a mistake that they can learn from it will be an indication of what they want for our club and there can be no 'second chances' for them.

I know people have been saying this for months and months but there is, literally, nothing they can hide behind this time.

So does a top 6 finish mean they have changed and we move forward together?

Just asking.

I don't know. If we finish a couple of points behind second, make a fist of the playoffs and then hold on to our better players and strengthen then I guess so.

If we scrape 6th and never look like we are going to do any better then no.

In reality there is not much we can do about it if RD refuses to sell the club but any suggestion that they have learned from their mistakes combined with any claim that they want to be promoted from this division will have to be refuted.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Robinson had Mavididi penciled in as the striker he wanted to compete with Magennis and Novak. Now that's gone, he doesn't know what to do, especially with the rumoured budget.

I'm sure that's true but there should have been reserve options - if not then they haven't learned anything have they?
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Kaka, Pirlo, Schweinsteiger, Giovinco all on a lot more than BWP.

He is thriving in the US but he is not earning the same as players in elite European teams
  • ross1 said:

Not the first player Charlton has had that was managed by his mum. The oldies will remember this player, although his name escapes me for a moment. I think it was in the 60's or 70's, a winger with us who wanted to go back home to South Africa I believe, and his mum negotiated a deal with Charlton. Come on oldies, what was his name. Got it Cliff Durandt 1962-1965

Was it Oosthuizen ?
    I thought he used to play golf.
    He still does

I'm sure that's true but there should have been reserve options - if not then they haven't learned anything have they?
    not disagreeing with you at all, we will be left short. They haven't learnt at all. We won't sign Godden or Akinde, we will get a loan in from a prem/champ club.
  • The ambition of the club can be measured by the quality of the striker they bring in. Not holding out much hope
  • edited August 2017

Dazzler21 said:

Dazzler21 said:

I know he's done well over there, but surely Kaka is a bigger star over there than BWP?
    Kaka doesn't get near BWP in terms of goals and assists. Sure he's a bigger name, but BWP is rated as the best in the MLS right now. (They're all about goals and assists when it comes to forwards as they have seen many tricksters that can't score goals over there)

SAYING ALL OF THAT....

I have just done some research and it seems different places give different reports.
  • If he was on $600K per YEAR in 2015 (when he was still in the top bracket of goals/assists in the MLS), so circa £450K.

If he was now on £300K per WEEK (£15.6m per YEAR) that would be a wage increase of nearly 3500% in two years?