Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• edited August 2017
    SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Where has the 300k figure come from? Sorry must have missed that.

Robinson's interview, think it was at around 6:45.

Cheers yeah totally missed that.

He kind of says £300k very much in passing. Maybe there's more context there, I don't know. Also, he'd be smart to play down how much he has to spend lest other clubs hear that and think "well if he has £1m to spend then we'll demand £1m."

I'm not saying the £300k number is wrong, I don't know, but that doesn't sound super convincing either way.
    I'm pretty sure he has a little more than £300k to spend. It would make absolutely no sense to reveal our transfer budget to other teams knowing full well we desperately need a striker.

I'm not saying we have millions to spend but somewhere in the region of £500-£700k might be a more accurate figure.
  • Sow scored his second Syrianska goal, in a 5–1 loss against Elfsborg !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_Sow

I should think so given the height advantage. It's a joke Elfs, a joke :smiley:
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Where has the 300k figure come from? Sorry must have missed that.

Robinson's interview, think it was at around 6:45.

Cheers yeah totally missed that.

He kind of says £300k very much in passing. Maybe there's more context there, I don't know. Also, he'd be smart to play down how much he has to spend lest other clubs hear that and think "well if he has £1m to spend then we'll demand £1m."

I'm not saying the £300k number is wrong, I don't know, but that doesn't sound super convincing either way.
    I'm pretty sure he has a little more than £300k to spend. It would make absolutely no sense to reveal our transfer budget to other teams knowing full well we desperately need a striker.

I'm not saying we have millions to spend but somewhere in the region of £500-£700k might be a more accurate figure.
    My thinking as well.
  • Of the teams prompted last season, only Sheff U had a player who hit over 20 goals (Billy Sharpe). In fact only 2 players in total for the whole league managed 20 goals or more (Bury's James Vaughan was the second one) Lee Gregory was Millwall's top scorer with 17 (eight of which were penalties), and Bolton finished second despite not having a single player that even made double figures (but they did have 4 on 9 goals each).

http://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter/eng-league-one-2016-2017/

Last season was a bit of an anomaly and there are usually more like 4 or 5 players that hit 20+ goals, but having one is not a guarantee of promotion and nor is not having one a guaranteed roadblock to promotion.

You are not allowed to make that kind of sense here. "We need a striker" is the lament of every fan for almost every team on Earth.

We are a mid-table club in the third division.

No good striker is willing to drop down to L1 from The Championship or EPL. No good striker is going to be transferred within L1. Why would they go lateral? And any good striker in L2 skips past L1 and goes straight to The Championship.

The L1 clubs with good strikers typically develop them. Not transfer them in.

• I rarely comment on such speculation but If we are shopping in these markets then I would prefer to see someone like Jay Simpson in the mix.

I recognise he failed at Orient but they were a bigger basket case than we were. He has at least shown he CAN play at this level and higher.

He is currently largely sitting on the bench in Philadelphia with his contract expiring in 4 months. I doubt he is on an expensive contract in the MLS.

Equally there is Jay Emmanuel-Thomas who is the last year of his contract at QPR and was on loan at Gillingham last season.

Not exactly signings to get the pulse racing but at least they have some pedigree and with the right management could rekindle something of a career.

Not a bad shout. Never gotten above 1/3 but I think would provide decent competition with Novak. Could be Danny Haynes-esque in that he does a job at this level for a year then is thanked and sent on his way if we're promoted.

That said, 1 in 15 for Philadelphia isn't great. The Union are pretty rubbish, but you'd hope for better than that.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure that he's not on at least okay money in the MLS. It's also possible that he would require a transfer fee as MLS tends to try to wring everything they can out of a deal.
  • edited August 2017
    Sow sounds like a poor man's Vaz Te, and Vaz Te was a poor man's Roger Johnson.
    Agents must have Katrien on speed dial.
  • dickplumb said:

Osman Sow in talks, according to Colin.

Colin talking porkies as usual. ..
  • Of the teams prompted last season, only Sheff U had a player who hit over 20 goals (Billy Sharpe). In fact only 2 players in total for the whole league managed 20 goals or more (Bury's James Vaughan was the second one) Lee Gregory was Millwall's top scorer with 17 (eight of which were penalties), and Bolton finished second despite not having a single player that even made double figures (but they did have 4 on 9 goals each).

Last season was a bit of an anomaly and there are usually more like 4 or 5 players that hit 20+ goals, but having one is not a guarantee of promotion and nor is not having one a guaranteed roadblock to promotion.

You are not allowed to make that kind of sense here. "We need a striker" is the lament of every fan for almost every team on Earth.

No good striker is willing to drop down to L1 from The Championship or EPL. No good striker is going to be transferred within L1. Why would they go lateral? And any good striker in L2 skips past L1 and goes straight to The Championship.

Like Reeves? Marshall?
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

Of the teams prompted last season, only Sheff U had a player who hit over 20 goals (Billy Sharpe). In fact only 2 players in total for the whole league managed 20 goals or more (Bury's James Vaughan was the second one) Lee Gregory was Millwall's top scorer with 17 (eight of which were penalties), and Bolton finished second despite not having a single player that even made double figures (but they did have 4 on 9 goals each).

Well, we literally are mid table, but we both know that that's not Charlton's natural place, in terms of our history, our fanbase and our stadium.

But this whole transfer thread is depressing the hell out of me!

• Sow very much feels like a Driesen signing. A return to the bad old days. And we thought we'd turned a corner. Still, just speculation for now.
  • Although Sharp 30 & Vaughan 24 were the only strikers to score 20 or more L1 goals.

Matty Taylor was on 16 when he was transferred from Rovers to City and Zach Clough after missing the start of the season was on 9 when transferred from Bolton.

• I just want us to sign a player that I've heard of .. #MustBeGettingOld
  • Is our own Josh Umerah not worth a go in the first team? We need someone tall, that's for sure.
  • edited August 2017

MK Dons sign Osman Sow. Bit of a short lived rumour that one.

It was the concrete cows which swayed it
    Or it may be the one place he knows KR isnt going to turn up at!.
  • Is our own Josh Umerah not worth a go in the first team? We need someone tall, that's for sure.

Along with Hanlan they've both missed most of pre-season through injury I think.
  • Scoham said:

Is our own Josh Umerah not worth a go in the first team? We need someone tall, that's for sure.

Along with Hanlan they've both missed most of pre-season through injury I think.
    Umerah played for the U23s today
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:

Sow sounds like a poor man's Vaz Te, and Vaz Te was a poor man's Roger Johnson.
    Agents must have Katrien on speed dial.

Genuinely not sure which one that's harsher on. Not inaccurate, just a bit soul crushing.
  • If I were KM I'd be looking to sign a player with a name like Golflorpgndbybuvahdf. Might not be any good but it would stop the pages and pages of puns we get when a player has a name that sounds like another word in the English language. At the very least it would make it easier for the police to sift through the threads.

Great post, hole in one.
  • _MrDick said:

I just want us to sign a player that I've heard of .. #MustBeGettingOld

You are Danny Rose and I claim the prize!! :wink:
  • dickplumb said:

Yup. With MKDons.
  • JamesSeed said:

dickplumb said:

Yup. With MKDons.
    So pigs can fly damn..................Next!
  • Will grigg all day long