Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• When I took Barnet from the conference to the Champions League on Championship Manager 14 Akinde was mustard in the first two seasons

Sign him

Carlton Cole once scored the winner for me in an England World Cup final....we all see how his career went :neutral: haha
  • edited August 2017

SDAddick said:

I think it's perfectly simple.

Either Katrien and Robinson persuede Duchatelet that we need to stretch the budget to include a Goalscorer or we stay in division one for another season regardless of how pleasing our football is on the eye.

I would love to see another, effective, striker come in but don't agree it is that cut and dried.

With 4231 we only play one striker.

Big Mag has taken time to get 100% fit after injuries and I think he may have been rushed back but he can do a very good job when fully fit.

Novak has one more game in his suspension.

Unless we can find a big improvement on those two then what is the point?

A loan from a prem or Championship club seems the most likely IMO and they maybe good enough.

But this is, when everyone is available, still a strong league 1 first XI imo

It's not the all conquerering side that will bull-doze every team it plays that some claimed after Ipswich and Bristol Rovers.

The problem, as ever, is that they isn't enough depth when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.
    This, an excellent point. We may not have quite enough depth, but we have a lot of quality for this league. Finding someone better than Magennis will be incredibly, incredibly difficult. If we can, great. If not, as you say, find a promising player from a higher division who may not be the finished article but who can come in and provide some intermittent quality when called upon.
    That would be OK but I think the general opinion is that Magennis is not prolific enough to get us out of the division.

If we were playing two up top then he would be fine as the target man if you like. He is a decent player and capable of contributing. He could be our Yann, although nowhere near as good. We would still need the goalscorer, the BWP. I think this was our thoughts last summer, but Ajose didn't work.

As we are going to play 1 striker, we are going to need someone who can play on his own, requiring a lot of fitness, physicality and someone who scores. I'm not many of those exist at our level, and certainly not for 300k
    I don't think many, if any of those exist at our level. And I think writing Magennis off because he won't score 20+ goals kind of misses the point of not just 4-2-3-1, but the way in which Robinson wants to play it. If Magennis gets 15 (and I think he's capable of more) but the system allows at least a couple of the likes of JFC, Holmes, Fosu, Reeves, Clarke to get 10+ then that's a good return.

We've got to get away from this little and large, targetman and poacher approach because it worked in 2011-12. It didn't work under Slade last year (many things didn't to be fair), and it's not the way we're going to play this year.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Either Katrien and Robinson persuede Duchatelet that we need to stretch the budget to include a Goalscorer or we stay in division one for another season regardless of how pleasing our football is on the eye.

I would love to see another, effective, striker come in but don't agree it is that cut and dried.

Big Mag has taken time to get 100% fit after injuries and I think he may have been rushed back but he can do a very good job when fully fit.

A loan from a prem or Championship club seems the most likely IMO and they maybe good enough.

It's not the all conquerering side that will bull-doze every team it plays that some claimed after Ipswich and Bristol Rovers.

The problem, as ever, is that they isn't enough depth when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.
    This, an excellent point. We may not have quite enough depth, but we have a lot of quality for this league. Finding someone better than Magennis will be incredibly, incredibly difficult. If we can, great. If not, as you say, find a promising player from a higher division who may not be the finished article but who can come in and provide some intermittent quality when called upon.
    That would be OK but I think the general opinion is that Magennis is not prolific enough to get us out of the division.

If we were playing two up top then he would be fine as the target man if you like. He is a decent player and capable of contributing. He could be our Yann, although nowhere near as good. We would still need the goalscorer, the BWP. I think this was our thoughts last summer, but Ajose didn't work.

As we are going to play 1 striker, we are going to need someone who can play on his own, requiring a lot of fitness, physicality and someone who scores. I'm not many of those exist at our level, and certainly not for 300k
    I don't think many, if any of those exist at our level. And I think writing Magennis off because he won't score 20+ goals kind of misses the point of not just 4-2-3-1, but the way in which Robinson wants to play it. If Magennis gets 15 (and I think he's capable of more) but the system allows at least a couple of the likes of JFC, Holmes, Fosu, Reeves, Clarke to get 10+ then that's a good return.

We've got to get away from this little and large, targetman and poacher approach because it worked in 2011-12. It didn't work under Slade last year (many things didn't to be fair), and it's not the way we're going to play this year.
    We'll probably need about 70 goals to go up. That's the problem. Can't see us getting close.

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

We'll probably need about 70 goals to go up. That's the problem. Can't see us getting close.

Rough numbers:
    Magennis: 17
    Clarke: 5
    Holmes: 11
    Reeves: 6
    Fosu: 5
    JFC: 9
    Bauer: 5
    Pearce: 2
    Novak: 4
    KAG: 2
    Marshall: 4
    Sarr: 1
    RHF: 20 (seriously, should be good for 2 or 3)

I just put numbers down on paper and got to 73/4. I know it's weird to think of things in these terms, and it can be hard to predict, but in many ways it's less risky than relying on a 20 goal a year man to stay fit in this division. I definitely think we need to add another forward who can provide at least 5, ideally more. But we have goals in this team.
  • Not good enough for league 1!
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Problem is that the first 2 league games have seen us play Holmes, JFC, Fosu & Clarke with Reeves playing in the Cup game.......and none of them scored. Early days I know but do you se my point ?
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Rough numbers:
    Magennis: 17
    Clarke: 5
    Holmes: 11
    Reeves: 6
    Fosu: 5
    JFC: 9
    Bauer: 5
    Pearce: 2
    Novak: 4
    KAG: 2
    Marshall: 4
    Sarr: 1
    RHF: 20 (seriously, should be good for 2 or 3)

I just put numbers down on paper and got to 73/4. I know it's weird to think of things in these terms, and it can be hard to predict, but in many ways it's less risky than relying on a 20 goal a year man to stay fit in this division. I definitely think we need to add another forward who can provide at least 5, ideally more. But we have goals in this team.
    Can we now have this week's lottery numbers please
  • edited August 2017
    Dazzler21 said:

Yes. It is.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/john-akinde/leistungsdaten/spieler/69749

Competition---Games -Goals-Assists-Yel--Y/R--R--Minutes
    Total---------306----111---39---48---1---1---21.140'
    League Two-----130----56---11----22---0---0---9.893'
    National League--88----48---19----18---1---0---7.500'
    League One-----48 -----3----7-----3---0---1---2.213'
    Championship---16-----1----0-----2---0---0--- 465'
    FA Cup---------12-----1----0-----1---0----0---477'
    EFL Cup---------8-----2 ----1-----1---0---0---396'
    EFL Trophy------4------0----1-----1---0---0---196'

I absolutely think he's worth a contract btw. When He was at Crawley I saw him a couple of times, his play was hardworking, but he was often stuck up top on his own and the attack would breakdown before he was supported.

great stats .. BUT I highlight the problem .. Under Robbo's 4321 he'll be another Magennis; alone, adrift, castaway solo up front .. we need another striker AND a more attacking formation

EDIT .. or is it 4231? .. what was the set up @ Plymouth ?
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

I agree, hence why I said that.

I am not writing Magennis off, but he is not capable of scoring 20+ goals, and doubtful of 15 IMO.

I was highlighting the point about our need with strikers with regards to little and large, it doesn't have to be that, but you need 2 goal scoring strikers. Magennis could possibly be 1, but there's no doubt we are desperate for another one.

With regards to your estimation of goals, I think you are way off but we will see. At the minute, we look unlikely to score anything what will be required to go up. This means we will rely on a great defensive record. I don't think Robinson's system will allow for this and we will end up mid table as it stands.
  • edited August 2017
    dickplumb said:

Osman Sow in talks, according to Colin.

We had him on trial at one point.

https://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54010/osman-sow/p1

I heard the move has fallen through after KM made a right pigs ear of the negotiations. He's signing for Bolton.
  • I really like Mag, but I worry about his injury record. Rico Henry Irving Fairchild Hackett may be a great bet for the future and could be a good impact sub, but in his first season can't be expected to get to double figures (sorry Henry). Let's hope KR can get the Belgium bunglers to loosen the purse strings (removes rose coloured classes and is hit by reality of the last 3 years).
    Of course we always have big Lee
  • Pay Darren Bent what he wants.

NB - isn't a rumour.
  • Sponsored links:

• dickplumb said:

He looked good at Hearts and scored goals. He's been playing in China then the UAE for the past year and a half. I imagine there would be a huge question surrounding his fitness and sharpness given he hasn't had a pre-season and he's been playing in poor leagues the last couple years.
  • SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

He looked good at Hearts and scored goals. He's been playing in China then the UAE for the past year and a half. I imagine there would be a huge question surrounding his fitness and sharpness given he hasn't had a pre-season and he's been playing in poor leagues the last couple years.
    Don't tell me Driesen's been at it again with his recommendations.
  • edited August 2017

Of the teams prompted last season, only Sheff U had a player who hit over 20 goals (Billy Sharpe). In fact only 2 players in total for the whole league managed 20 goals or more (Bury's James Vaughan was the second one) Lee Gregory was Millwall's top scorer with 17 (eight of which were penalties), and Bolton finished second despite not having a single player that even made double figures (but they did have 4 on 9 goals each).

http://www.worldfootball.net/goalgetter/eng-league-one-2016-2017/

Last season was a bit of an anomaly and there are usually more like 4 or 5 players that hit 20+ goals, but having one is not a guarantee of promotion and nor is not having one a guaranteed roadblock to promotion.

And because I'm really bored at work I thought it'd be interesting to see what effect it has when you remove penalties from a player's scoring record (I think this a fairer reflection of how good a goal scorer a player is because the number of penalty chances any player gets in a season is a large variable).

For us Ricky jumps from being ranked 12th to joint 5th. Josh goes from 22nd to 16th. Interestingly, without penalties, our two top scorers scored a combined 23 vs 19 for Millwall's pair of Gregory and Morison who were widely regarded as an excellent front pairing, but they also had O'Brien who equaled Ricky's tally.

• RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

Don't tell me Driesen's been at it again with his recommendations.
    It definitely feels like a signing that would be good on FM.

I don't know I think it's a high risk, possibly high reward situation. If he finds his Hearts form then he looks a decent signing. Doubt we'll match his Chinese or UAE wages, but maybe he's ready to take the pay cut.

Again, it's hard because we're looking for maybe a second or third choice center forward who can play up front on their own and score goals. I suspect that is going to require taking a punt on someone, whether it's a free agent or a loan or perhaps someone not proven at this level.
  • I'm sure at the beginning of pre season Sow was top of KR's wanted list.
  • I'm sure at the beginning of pre season Sow was top of KR's wanted list.

Obviously you're being sarcastic but things change over the course of a window. I think he did the right thing by giving Tony Watt a chance to prove himself. A fit and firing Tony Watt is almost certainly better than any center forward we're going to bring in, and it's just unfortunate that a fit and firing Tony Watt doesn't seem to exist anymore.

It would be naive for interest in players not to shift as some become available and others aren't. See the Louis Thompson saga from last year. We chased him for something like two months and it didn't come off. That was insane.
  • We are really (pork)scratching around now for a striker.
  • Scoham said:

dickplumb said:

We had him on trial at one point.

https://www.forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/54010/osman-sow/p1

I heard the move has fallen through after KM made a right pigs ear of the negotiations. He's signing for Bolton.
    Very good @Scoham, great minds and all that............Bolton, the Trotters have a like :wink: .
  • His goal scoring record looks a bit streaky to me.
  • edited August 2017