Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I think it's perfectly simple.

Either Katrien and Robinson persuede Duchatelet that we need to stretch the budget to include a Goalscorer or we stay in division one for another season regardless of how pleasing our football is on the eye.

I would love to see another, effective, striker come in but don't agree it is that cut and dried.

With 4231 we only play one striker.

Big Mag has taken time to get 100% fit after injuries and I think he may have been rushed back but he can do a very good job when fully fit.

Novak has one more game in his suspension.

Unless we can find a big improvement on those two then what is the point?

A loan from a prem or Championship club seems the most likely IMO and they maybe good enough.

But this is, when everyone is available, still a strong league 1 first XI imo

It's not the all conquerering side that will bull-doze every team it plays that some claimed after Ipswich and Bristol Rovers.

The problem, as ever, is that they isn't enough depth when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.
    I think that's a very valid view but I must say that just like a lot of others I think that we just won't score enough goals even with a fit Magennis and Novak. Neither are prolific and perhaps its unfair but we don't know how effective Novak would be in that loan role should he be required to do it for any length of time.

It's just my opinion but even a PL loan is unlikely to paper over that deficiency unless we strike extremely lucky. In any case it's a big ask for any youngster to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1.

What I've seen of our football so far impresses me but until I see Robinson change to a 4-4-2 during a match or 4-3-3 to suit the individual game I can't believe that we have enough about us often enough to win enough matches.

Plymouth was the perfect example of us being toothless.

It's not necessarily Robinsons fault. It just looks like RD closing his purse a bit to early just like every other season.

We're becoming an established league one club. Next close season it's going to be very hard to hang onto our better players and perhaps even harder to attract players to a club with no ambition because that's what we are fast becoming.
    The relative lack of spending isn't Robinson's fault although he himself talked up the budget over the summer. A lot of high earners have gone as have all but two of the "network" signings (Kashi, who is good, and Sarr).

But KR's addiction to 4231 was the undoing of him at MKD and it might be the same here.
    I think 4231 could become a success. It would be tough to change it now as he has built a squad to play in this way. Our first team looks strong, and we have some decent players waiting in the wings too.

The issue is how stubborn he is over it. He needs to change it when it's not working, whether thats after 60 mins or we start with a new formation. To play 442, we need at least 1, probably 2 new strikers, and I cannot see where Clarke, and possibly Reeves fit in, in a 442.

I think we all feel the same, we got rid of our only fully fit senior striker just before the game Saturday which was a mistake. We need to replace Watt with a goalscorer, and I don't think the budget will allow that.

Either Katrien and Robinson persuede Duchatelet that we need to stretch the budget to include a Goalscorer or we stay in division one for another season regardless of how pleasing our football is on the eye.

I would love to see another, effective, striker come in but don't agree it is that cut and dried.

Big Mag has taken time to get 100% fit after injuries and I think he may have been rushed back but he can do a very good job when fully fit.

A loan from a prem or Championship club seems the most likely IMO and they maybe good enough.

It's not the all conquerering side that will bull-doze every team it plays that some claimed after Ipswich and Bristol Rovers.

The problem, as ever, is that they isn't enough depth when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.
    I think that's a very valid view but I must say that just like a lot of others I think that we just won't score enough goals even with a fit Magennis and Novak. Neither are prolific and perhaps its unfair but we don't know how effective Novak would be in that loan role should he be required to do it for any length of time.

It's just my opinion but even a PL loan is unlikely to paper over that deficiency unless we strike extremely lucky. In any case it's a big ask for any youngster to lead the line in a 4-2-3-1.

What I've seen of our football so far impresses me but until I see Robinson change to a 4-4-2 during a match or 4-3-3 to suit the individual game I can't believe that we have enough about us often enough to win enough matches.

It's not necessarily Robinsons fault. It just looks like RD closing his purse a bit too early just like every other season.

We're becoming an established league one club. Next close season it's going to be very hard to hang onto our better players and perhaps even harder to attract players to a club with no ambition because that's what we are fast becoming.

By way of appeasement Henners, I thought Hackett-Fairchilds cameo on Saturday was quite encouraging.
    I see the point you make about the attack being toothless but on another day we could have been 3-0 up by half time. It was the keeper who kept them in it rather than our attack fluffing there lines in front of goal. That would have been far more alarming.

That said we offered nothing in the second half and I agree we do need a striker to compete with Magennis.

It's not necessarily Robinsons fault. It just looks like RD closing his purse a bit too early just like every other season.

By way of appeasement Henners, I thought Hackett-Fairchilds cameo on Saturday was quite encouraging.
    I see the point you make about the attack being toothless but on another day we could have been 3-0 up by half time. It was the keeper who kept them in it rather than our attack fluffing there lines in front of goal. That would have been far more alarming.

That said we offered nothing in the second half and I agree we do need a striker to compete with Magennis.
    One goal in two games won't get us promoted. As for we could have scored. We didn't and looked less likely the longer it went on.

One goal in two games won't get us promoted. As for we could have scored. We didn't and looked less likely the longer it went on.
    I agree with your points but lets see how it looks after a couple more games, we played one game with 10 men for 84 minutes and the other we've already covered, then we'll have a better idea if it's as toothless as suggested.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

I think it's perfectly simple.

Think you answered your own question - depth.

Ajose shows why you can't sign a "guaranteed" 20 goal striker at this level.

We need to bring in another striker that is capable at this level and if things go well has a realistic chance of getting to 20. Magennis might with good service and staying fully fit. Novak got 15(?) with Chesterfield, hopefully he can improve on last season.

KR said himself he wants three '9s'. A new striker doesn't have to be miles better than the two we have but perhaps a slightly different type of player while still someone that can play as a lone striker.

I'd like to see someone like Mavididi that could play up front or out wide to give us more options.
  • Probably sums me up as a person but I reckon I'd have a good beer with TW.
  • 'Being wanted'

Won't last long. Good riddance.
  • any mention of a fee for TWWW (undisclosed or otherwise), or is it a loan with a view to a purchase after a tear , or the same as Tex & Cebllos and we basically gave them our player.
  • any mention of a fee for TWWW (undisclosed or otherwise), or is it a loan with a view to a purchase after a tear , or the same as Tex & Cebllos and we basically gave them our player.

I would say its a give away and we are happy to get his wages off our books.
  • a PL loan would only be a kid with less experience than KAG so I don't see the point.

Probably a lot more goal threat though...

• stonemuse said:
    I hope you like waffles and Trappist beers Jase :wink: .
  • Sponsored links:

wtf ??? In the last month we have simply given away 3 players, losing around £3m - 5m in transfer fees !! And KR says we can't afford a decent striker. Our CEO needs lynching.
  • edited August 2017

any mention of a fee for TWWW (undisclosed or otherwise), or is it a loan with a view to a purchase after a tear , or the same as Tex & Cebllos and we basically gave them our player.

wtf ??? In the last month we have simply given away 3 players, losing around £3m - 5m in transfer fees !! And KR says we can't afford a decent striker.
    I feel your pain but I'd remove that last sentance mate, you never know who's looking in.
  • Any more talk like that jase and you'll be having to learn Flemish....
  • Surprised Pearce hasn't been transfer listed yet.

wtf ??? In the last month we have simply given away 3 players, losing around £3m - 5m in transfer fees !! And KR says we can't afford a decent striker. Our CEO needs lynching.
    I don't think we could have got a fee for Watt. If we paid his contract up, then that is ridiculous, but I don't mind if he left on a free.
  • Glad Watts gone, bloke is clearly a fruit loop. Watt to Watch FFS. Desperately need a replacement though and if they have got rid of him without a replacement already lined up then they need shooting.
  • When Robinson said he wanted "three nines" did he just mean he wanted another striker just to take the number 27 shirt that is a vacant squad number?
    How many seasons have we had where a good striker is something we obviously have needed ? This problem is something that should have been sorted by now if the club is ever going to move forward. Invest now you Belgian twat and you will be able to reap the benefits later but please do not seek the advice of Driesen.
  • 'I've missed you'? I seem to remember him saying he couldn't wait to get out of Belgium when he came here...
  • Did we actually pay a fee for Watt?, it was rumoured that we (RD) stitched SL up, by getting him on a free before selling the club