Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Essex_Al said:

All seems a bit daft to buy, beg or borrow a striker when we already have TWO of our own that could do a decent job......Igor & Ajose. Now, what numpty would loan them out when we only have 2 experienced strikers in Mag & Novak.

Leave off mate, one clearly doesn't want to play in England the other is shite living off of one good season at Swindon, he was crap before that and crap since! Was on the bench for Bury today wasn't he?
    Fair point. But then why did we sign them in the first place?
  • RedChaser said:

Selling Konsa could be a key in so far as it might provide the opportunity to negotiate a loan for a decent player for a year as part of the deal. For some reason, the buying club dictates to us evry time. If we have a player they want, we ought to have some bargening power as long as we don't look too desperate.

But we are desperate, very desperate. It's plain for all to see!
    Shhhh! ;-)
  • edited August 2017
    JamesSeed said:

All seems a bit daft to buy, beg or borrow a striker when we already have TWO of our own that could do a decent job......Igor & Ajose. Now, what numpty would loan them out when we only have 2 experienced strikers in Mag & Novak.

I think Igor would rather chew Roland's toenails than pull on a Charlton shirt and Ajose just ain't up to it.

Agree about Ajose. He had plenty of opportunities to show what he can do, and did virtually nothing to impress (apart from the rather cooly taken goal v. the Spanners).
    Igor is another matter, and beyond my ken, as they used to say.
    I've always said Mag is only good when 100% fit, and after plenty of match practice, which isn't that useful for a club in our position.
    If we only have 300K to spend on a striker, then it's going to take a great feat of scouting to find one who'll join us.
    My money's on a loan.
    Let's just hope it's not an end of window 'no one else wants them' loan acquisition....like Amos & Ulvestad. We need players good enough to get us out of this league.
  • Yann

Tease!
  • Home sick means you desperately want to go home. Charlton is home. We will play him and put him back in the shop window.

Come on Everton, you know it makes sense.
  • Redrobo said:

Home sick means you desperately want to go home. Charlton is home. We will play him and put him back in the shop window.

Why would Everton want him in the shop window? No one is going to pay anywhere near the amount they did for him!

• sammy391 said:

Redrobo said:

Home sick means you desperately want to go home. Charlton is home. We will play him and put him back in the shop window.

Why would Everton want him in the shop window? No one is going to pay anywhere near the amount they did for him!

No, you're right. Everton would much prefer he stayed on their books until his contract ran out. Not.

If he comes back to us, or anywhere else, and scores a few goals someone will want him and they could get their money back or close. If not, they took a punt and it did not work out. It will not bother them unduly.
  • Sponsored links:

• It is obvious to everyone we need a striker, probably two. Strikers come at a premium, especially goalscoring ones, but it would be oh so typical of the board to not take the risk and spend some cash in this instance. It's been a decent summer by all accounts thus far, I don't think anyone would disagree, we've kept our key players and added some real quality going forward. It may be oversimplifying the situation to suggest another forward of quality will see us promoted, but it would certainly leave us in a very strong position. It's so frustrating that we won't up our budget to land that man, 300k ain't gonna buy you much if that rumoured figure is true, an untested punt from a few leagues below, maybe an unproven striker from some Scottish or northern side strapped for cash. You don't need to spend ten million, a striker going for that money isn't gonna come to league one, but if a player like Grigg/Matty Taylor, for example, is quoted at circa 1 mill and we don't stretch our budget it is silly, amateurish, stupid (assuming KR wants the player). The difference will easily be made up in increased gate receipts, more TV money etc if we get promoted.
  • Scoham said:
    Is that our mate Wim de Cort (or whatever his name was) with him?
  • bellz2002 said:

Scoham said:
    Is that our mate Wim de Cort (or whatever his name was) with him?
    It is indeed, I believe he's their technical director.
  • Standing (and seating) room only at the Tony Watt Appreciation Society AGM
    It looks like he's taken that photo while lying under the table.
  • edited August 2017
    We have got ourselves in a position where a couple of decent strikers will almost certainly get us up. Now the question is, how much more do we lose being a League One club instead of a Championship one - and of course- you only have to look at Huddersfield to see what can be done from the Championship.
  • We have got ourselves in a position where a couple of decent strikers will almost certainly get us up. Now the question is, how much more do we lose being a League One club instead of a Championship one - and of course- you only have to look at Huddersfield Charlton, Wigan and Blackburn to see what can be done from the Championship.

Fixed that for you.
  • We did good business on the whole during the summer, with some quality players coming in. However, Saturday showed that the squad depth is still a problem. Two weeks into the season and we are already seeing a bench made up mainly of academy players. Saturday also showed that we desperately need a striker who can score goals. Unfortunately they don't come cheap and I have serious doubts that Duchatelet will provide the finance to buy such a player. A recurring theme of Robinson's tenure is one of dominating matches but not being able to get the result. It nearly cost us last season and will do so again this season unless the squad is strengthened further in the right places. I also feel sorry for Dillon Phillips. Once again he has to watch while a loan keeper is brought in days before the start of the season. I feel he is a competent goalkeeper at this level and he is at an age where he should be considered as first choice. I can't believe that when management identify their targets in close season they say 'don't worry about the keeper, we'll get someone in on loan a couple of days before the start of the season!'
  • Sponsored links:

• I do believe Keepers are not given the priority their importance deserves in a side.
  • johno6uk said:

We did good business on the whole during the summer, with some quality players coming in. However, Saturday showed that the squad depth is still a problem. Two weeks into the season and we are already seeing a bench made up mainly of academy players. Saturday also showed that we desperately need a striker who can score goals. Unfortunately they don't come cheap and I have serious doubts that Duchatelet will provide the finance to buy such a player. A recurring theme of Robinson's tenure is one of dominating matches but not being able to get the result. It nearly cost us last season and will do so again this season unless the squad is strengthened further in the right places. I also feel sorry for Dillon Phillips. Once again he has to watch while a loan keeper is brought in days before the start of the season. I feel he is a competent goalkeeper at this level and he is at an age where he should be considered as first choice. I can't believe that when management identify their targets in close season they say 'don't worry about the keeper, we'll get someone in on loan a couple of days before the start of the season!'

While that's true about the bench Phillips, Konsa and Aribo are part of the first team squad. It wasn't a bench full of academy players that had barely made an appearance.

We had two suspensions, Watt on his way out, Reeves not fit enough and 3(?) longer term injuries.

While we desperately need at least 1 new striker no owner at this level is going to give us a squad close to 30 senior players.

Worth remembering when we won League 1 we could only have 5 subs so we didn't need to fill the bench with 1/2 academy players.
  • In hindsight given Saturday's result, maybe they should have saved the money from flying the squad to the match and put it towards the transfer kitty!!
  • I think 500k with add ons would do it. Surely we could afford it if Watt is going and we offload Lennon.

How the F can we offload Lennon while he's crocked and he's not gonna be on mega money so wouldn't free up enough to make a difference
  • I think it's perfectly simple.

Either Katrien and Robinson persuede Duchatelet that we need to stretch the budget to include a Goalscorer or we stay in division one for another season regardless of how pleasing our football is on the eye.

I would love to see another, effective, striker come in but don't agree it is that cut and dried.

With 4231 we only play one striker.

Big Mag has taken time to get 100% fit after injuries and I think he may have been rushed back but he can do a very good job when fully fit.

Novak has one more game in his suspension.

Unless we can find a big improvement on those two then what is the point?

A loan from a prem or Championship club seems the most likely IMO and they maybe good enough.

But this is, when everyone is available, still a strong league 1 first XI imo

It's not the all conquerering side that will bull-doze every team it plays that some claimed after Ipswich and Bristol Rovers.

The problem, as ever, is that they isn't enough depth when the inevitable injuries and suspensions kick in.
  • edited August 2017

I think 500k with add ons would do it. Surely we could afford it if Watt is going and we offload Lennon.

How the F can we offload Lennon while he's crocked and he's not gonna be on mega money so wouldn't free up enough to make a difference
    So we haven't had bids for him then over the last few weeks? RD is still going to see a squad size of x amount of players and argue it's too much. Getting rid of a CB when we have 5 would make sense and possibly allow us to sign a striker.

Admittedly, it won't too much a difference. Even if Lennon went for 5 mil, only 100k or 200 would be added to Robinsons budget.