Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:
    If he isn't all I can imagine is it's a pride thing. Surely can't be based on performances.
    Or the fact that he found out after a deal was agreed and wasn't consulted, which they have form for. He wants to add and not sell without doing that.
    He has spoken to the owner on a handful of occasions. He talks to Meire day to day - I suspect Meire had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to let Watt go - it would have been the owner who probably found five minutes to pay us some attention to decide to let him go given there was interest. This is the way the idiot runs his network. You just do not play an unfit player on the second gameof the season, but KR didn't have loads of options.

I'm not even saying it was wrong to let Watt go, but you need to replace first.
    I think we are agreeing with each other.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:
    If he isn't all I can imagine is it's a pride thing. Surely can't be based on performances.
    Or the fact that he found out after a deal was agreed and wasn't consulted, which they have form for. He wants to add and not sell without doing that.
    He has spoken to the owner on a handful of occasions. He talks to Meire day to day - I suspect Meire had absolutely nothing to do with the decision to let Watt go - it would have been the owner who probably found five minutes to pay us some attention to decide to let him go given there was interest. This is the way the idiot runs his network. You just do not play an unfit player on the second gameof the season, but KR didn't have loads of options.

yes we are
  • So this will be Watts eighth club and at 23 you think he won't get many more chances to turn his career round.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:

yes we are
    I find that fact very agreeable.
  • cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:

yes we are
    That's nice!
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:

yes we are
    That's nice!
    Nice to be nice.
  • Having said that - If we brought in a top striker for this level we will probably get promoted - IF and with this mob, IFs are always big IFs!
  • cfgs said:

colthe3rd said:

cfgs said:
    Sorry I should have been clearer. The pride thing meant in reference to either the fact he felt he could turn his career around but was sold without his say so. If he is to be given funds to replace then he shouldn't be that bothered as the performances have shown many times that it isn't working. And yes obviously that's a big if.
  • edited August 2017

4231 is a goto formation for top tier sides these days but there's a reason it hasn't seemed to catch on in the lower levels of the game; to play it well you need a well rounded striker who can hold the ball up, play in others, win aerial duels and score goals. Those strikers are few and far between at league one level, (Kermorgant was one exception). Most strikers at our level are either big lumps without the nous to play the role, or, to a lesser extent, players who can finish but offer nothing outside the eighteen yard box (Ajose for example). We're not gonna get a proven player who can do all that IMO as clubs will simply demand extortionate amounts we will not pay. I reckon we'll end up with a Premier League loan and cross our fingers he is enough. Saying that, however, if Will Grigg becomes available for less than a million we would be foolish not to stump up; he scored 28 in this league in 15/16, knows Robinson well, knows Magennis/Reeves from NI and most importantly would be a very good replacement for the departing 'Ole Ole' song.

Totally agree. I think Magennis can play this role when he is fully fit and on form. But beyond that we are not equipped for it.

I think you have to be adaptable and be able to go 4-4-2, even as a plan B.

I know we went 4-4-2 on near the end, but our two strikers when we did that have one goal between them in their admittedly short careers.
  • Still remember hearing that we would get our business done early in the close season. How long left until the season starts ....... Oh wait a minute!!!!
  • edited August 2017

He does talk some regime apologist shit.

In his defense, if he didn't do that he'd probably be sacked. With that said, quit being a fuckin tight wad and spend some money........
  • LouisMend said:
    Just read the article. KR says a 20 goal striker will cost £1.5 - £2m & that League 1 clubs don't spend that kind of money. Someone please tell him we sold Lookman for £9M so I'm sure 20% of that could be spent TO TRY TO GET US OUT OF THI(S LEAGUE
    I'm sure he's fully aware of that but getting the owner to part with some of that cash is proving as difficult for KR as it has for all our managers under the regime.

Unfortunately it all goes back to the poor decision making, hence money-wasting by the management team from day one of the takeover.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017

LouisMend said:
    Just read the article. KR says a 20 goal striker will cost £1.5 - £2m & that League 1 clubs don't spend that kind of money. Someone please tell him we sold Lookman for £9M so I'm sure 20% of that could be spent TO TRY TO GET US OUT OF THI(S LEAGUE
    Plus Fox plus getting Tex and Watt off the wage bill plus Ceballos who probably didn't go for a fee etc. and so on.

All that said, even in that 1.5-2m pound range, who are we going to get who can play up front on their own, has potential to grow as a player (and resale value), and most importantly will come to a League One team? I really struggle to think of a player who would fit that criteria. I think the best bet would be to go abroad, but you would of course have the issue of bedding someone in in League One.

I think one of the best options for getting in someone like that is a DaSilva/Mavididi-esque loan of a young player with a lot of talent from a big club. But it seems that the likes of City and Chelsea in particular like to loan their best youth players to the continent.

I'm all for spending money to strengthen the squad, but we're in a situation where we don't just need bodies, we need quality. And we can't complain about money poorly spent on the one hand then turn around and demand we throw a seven figure transfer fee at any old decent League One or League Two striker.
  • Just bite the bullet, have the courage to sell Konza, spend some of it on a good striker with the ability to get the goals to get us out of this league and loan in a centre back to replace Konza in the squad. We cannot keep going in to every season with a glaring deficiency in the squad and expect anything other than mid-table mediocrity at best.
  • johnny73 said:

Why sell any prospect? Use some of the Lookman money to buy a first team forward.

Lots of people saying use some of the Lookman money, but as far as I Can see, there IS NO Lookman money! That's not how this mob operate.
  • edited August 2017
    The Lookman money covered last year's running costs. The only way we will get a striker like Grigg or Bogle (what we need to get promotion) will be if we sell Konsa.

Otherwise you're looking at either a £300k striker or a loan. Listen to the Louis Mendez interview. Before KR says 'there are funds available' it sounds like he actually says the words 'three hundred thousand'.

If we don't sell Konsa I expect we'll end up with a complete gamble panic loan on deadline day (£300k will not buy much outside of League Two and based on the Godden situation cannot even acquire the best in that league).
  • edited August 2017
    The quote I mentioned above can be heard 6:45 mins into this interview.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05c74p1

£300k is the budget.....so forget internationals like Grigg. Our club can attract quality players like that but KR simply doesn't have the budget to get them (despite all the sales and players off the wage bill).
  • wmcf123 said:

£300k is the budget.....so forget internationals like Grigg. Our club can attract quality players like that but KR simply doesn't have the budget to get them (despite all the sales and players off the wage bill).i

£300k is the budget.....so forget internationals like Grigg. Our club can attract quality players like that but KR simply doesn't have the budget to get them (despite all the sales and players off the wage bill).i

Quite a shock that the regime aren't delivering. Didn't see that one coming
    An even bigger shock, that some on here think they've changed and that we've turned a corner.
    The usual suspects were out in force last week following our demolition job on Bristol Rovers.
    We have 2 senior forwards. One is playing whilst unfit and the other is suspended.
  • I wouldn't say they've completely changed but this squad should do better than last years. Even if it's just by having a better midfield.

Any big fees they've spent have always been at the start of the window. Can't see that sort of money being spent now, KRs made that clear.

I expect it'll be a gamble on someone that might come good. Either a young Prem loanee or someone that happens to be available for a small fee, like Magennis last year or BWP when he came in.