Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• dickplumb said:

I hear that Sow hogs the ball.

Didn't he used to play for the Trotters.
  • Crackling good striker, brain as well as brawn
  • SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

Osman Sow in talks, according to Colin.

He looked good at Hearts and scored goals. He's been playing in China then the UAE for the past year and a half. I imagine there would be a huge question surrounding his fitness and sharpness given he hasn't had a pre-season and he's been playing in poor leagues the last couple years.
    Don't tell me Driesen's been at it again with his recommendations.
    It definitely feels like a signing that would be good on FM.

I don't know I think it's a high risk, possibly high reward situation. If he finds his Hearts form then he looks a decent signing. Doubt we'll match his Chinese or UAE wages, but maybe he's ready to take the pay cut.

Again, it's hard because we're looking for maybe a second or third choice center forward who can play up front on their own and score goals. I suspect that is going to require taking a punt on someone, whether it's a free agent or a loan or perhaps someone not proven at this level.
    Oh god really? Second or third choice after Magennis and Novak. That's pretty depressing.
  • Hope he like a tackle, nothing better than seeing your centre forward chop the oppo down.
  • JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

RedChaser said:

SDAddick said:

dickplumb said:

He looked good at Hearts and scored goals. He's been playing in China then the UAE for the past year and a half. I imagine there would be a huge question surrounding his fitness and sharpness given he hasn't had a pre-season and he's been playing in poor leagues the last couple years.
    Don't tell me Driesen's been at it again with his recommendations.
    It definitely feels like a signing that would be good on FM.

I don't know I think it's a high risk, possibly high reward situation. If he finds his Hearts form then he looks a decent signing. Doubt we'll match his Chinese or UAE wages, but maybe he's ready to take the pay cut.

Again, it's hard because we're looking for maybe a second or third choice center forward who can play up front on their own and score goals. I suspect that is going to require taking a punt on someone, whether it's a free agent or a loan or perhaps someone not proven at this level.
    Oh god really? Second or third choice after Magennis and Novak. That's pretty depressing.
    You may not rate him, but I think it will be very tough if not impossible to categorically improve on Magennis at this level. Novak? Yes.
  • I really like Mag, but I worry about his injury record. Rico Henry Irving Fairchild Hackett may be a great bet for the future and could be a good impact sub, but in his first season can't be expected to get to double figures (sorry Henry). Let's hope KR can get the Belgium bunglers to loosen the purse strings (removes rose coloured classes and is hit by reality of the last 3 years).
    Of course we always have big Lee

Not sure how old Reeco is but Wayne Rooney scored 15 in his first 67 games at Everton (many as sub) and what was he? 17? 18?
    It's always worth trying what you have before buying. A good manager will know if he's ready, or whether it might be too much of a risk.

• I can't believe that nobody has stooped as low as......

Hope he brings home the bacon.
  • cfgs said:

I can't believe that nobody has stooped as low as......

Hope he brings home the bacon.

I can believe the amount of people poking their snout into this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck with negotiating a contract with his mum. She a nightmare apparently and partially the reason why Barnet still have him there.

Every football agents eyes must light up when dealing with Miss 'I love doing deals' Meire.......
  • dickplumb said:

Never heard of him!
  • Who Colin?
  • Good luck with negotiating a contract with his mum. She a nightmare apparently and partially the reason why Barnet still have him there.

Every football agents eyes must light up when dealing with Miss 'I love doing deals' Meire.......
    Meire will make a pigs ear of any negotiations.
  • edited August 2017

You may not rate him, but I think it will be very tough if not impossible to categorically improve on Magennis at this level. Novak? Yes.

For £300k I agree with you. Though there are available players like Bogle and Grigg who can pretty much guarantee the goals we need to get promotion.

Hence why it is massively disappointing that we've only invested circa £175k on transfers this season (estimated £100k on Clarke and £75k on Fosu). KR has done well to acquire/get back as many quality players without transfer fees as he has (Reeves, Marshall, Da Silva, Kashi) but you have to be prepared to spend on some players. We spent far more in the Powell season (Green, Wiggins, Stephens etc) and even more under Slade.

Really hope the club show some ambition and give him just 10% of money generated from player sales in 2017 to allow us to sign more than a young unwanted loanee or unproven div 2 striker.

We would be right up there if we do and fans will only be proved right if KM and RD don't support a promising campaign this year. If it doesn't work they can sell Konsa at the end of the season (or in Jan) and recoup 4 times the £750k - £1m striker investment.
  • edited August 2017
    If we sign him and he praises Meire he will just be loin.
  • cabbles said:

Just glanced through the last few pages but not encouraged that we're being linked with a move for £1m, for a league 2 striker who is 28 and is managed by his mum. Everything about that is wrong if you let it sink in

League two
    1m
    Managed by mother

I believe Ousmane Dembele is, or was, managed by his mum. Not sure if that makes your case or hinders it.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/23/ousmane-dembele-football-hottest-property-rennes-bayern-munich-ligue-1
  • Where has the 300k figure come from? Sorry must have missed that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

Charlton are interested in signing Barnet striker John Akinde, News Shopper understands.

Addicks boss Karl Robinson is looking for a frontman to replace Tony Watt, who joined Belgium club Oud-Heverlee Leuven on the weekend.

And Akinde is one striker who Charlton are keeping tabs on.

Akinde, who QPR have shown an interest in previously, is currently sidelined with a minor knee injury.

The striker has two years left to run on his contract, and given his impressive goalscoring record for the Bees, the North London club could demand a fee of around £1m.

On Saturday, Robinson...........

No worries - he is back in training & KM is close to finalising the deal...

Roland's happy, he gets to have all of his right shoes... Will save a fortune on gafa tape!
  • edited August 2017
    Not the first player Charlton has had that was managed by his mum. The oldies will remember this player, although his name escapes me for a moment. I think it was in the 60's or 70's, a winger with us who wanted to go back home to South Africa I believe, and his mum negotiated a deal with Charlton. Come on oldies, what was his name. Got it Cliff Durandt 1962-1965
  • Oh god really? Second or third choice after Magennis and Novak. That's pretty depressing.

For £300k I agree with you. Though there are available players like Bogle and Grigg who can pretty much guarantee the goals we need to get promotion.

Hence why it is massively disappointing that we've only invested circa £175k on transfers this season (estimated £100k on Clarke and £75k on Fosu). KR has done well to acquire/get back as many quality players without transfer fees as he has (Reeves, Marshall, Da Silva, Kashi) but you have to be prepared to spend on some players. We spent fae more in the Powell season (Green, Wiggins, Stephens etc) and even more under Slade.

Really hope the club show some ambition and give him just 10% of money generated from player sales in 2017 to allow us to sign more than a young unwanted loanee or unproven div 2 striker.

We would be right up there if we do and fans will only be proved right if KM and RD don't support a promising campaign this year. If it doesn't work they can sell Konsa at the end of the season (or in Jan) and recoup 4 times the proven £750k - £1m striker investment in out goings.

Bogle got 3 in 12 for Wigan last year, but prior to that he'd never played higher than League Two. I don't think he'd be a bad signing by any stretch, but if Wigan are asking £1m+ for him it's like...I don't know it's just a lot of money, even in adjusted terms, for a player with 2 years in League Two and before that National League.

I don't know, I still think looking abroad would provide the best value for money and best risk/reward scenario, but Karl doesn't seem interested in signing players from abroad which, to me, is a mistake.
  • SDAddick said:

Where has the 300k figure come from? Sorry must have missed that.

Robinson's interview, think it was at around 6:45.

• ross1 said:

Not the first player Charlton has had that was managed by his mum. The oldies will remember this player, although his name escapes me for a moment. I think it was in the 60's or 70's, a winger with us who wanted to go back home to South Africa I believe, and his mum negotiated a deal with Charlton. Come on oldies, what was his name. Got it Cliff Durandt 1962-1965

Was it Oosthuizen ?
  • Sorry just seen the edit
  • edited August 2017
    Scoham said:

SDAddick said:

Where has the 300k figure come from? Sorry must have missed that.

Robinson's interview, think it was at around 6:45.

Cheers yeah totally missed that.

He kind of says £300k very much in passing. Maybe there's more context there, I don't know. Also, he'd be smart to play down how much he has to spend lest other clubs hear that and think "well if he has £1m to spend then we'll demand £1m."

I'm not saying the £300k number is wrong, I don't know, but that doesn't sound super convincing either way.
  • Sow scored his second Syrianska goal, in a 5–1 loss against Elfsborg !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osman_Sow