Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I'd go:
    Hamer
    Solly (then)
    Morro
    Pearce
    Wiggins
    Holmes
    Kashi
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Yann
    BWP

Can't disagree with that team really. Hard to drop Jackson given how good he was back then, but he's not a winger.

Early days, but Da Silva could go ahead of Wiggins, and Marshall/Fosu ahead of Jackson.
  • edited August 2017
    We do have lots of potential now that we need more time to assess without getting carried away. Wiggins before his injury was heading for the Premier League - Solly was at his best - JJ was superb, BWP for much of that season was ultra clinical. Kashi looks a top player though and Fosu for me is a star in the making.
  • I reserve judgement on Amos / Hamer.

I have only seen him play for us twice. What will he be like after 10 games?
  • Richard J said:

I reserve judgement on Amos / Hamer.

I have only seen him play for us twice. What will he be like after 10 games?

I don't think Amos will be as good as Hamer
  • I'd go:
    Hamer
    Solly (then)
    Morro
    Pearce
    Wiggins
    Holmes
    Kashi
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Yann
    BWP

Can't disagree with that team really. Hard to drop Jackson given how good he was back then, but he's not a winger.

Early days, but Da Silva could go ahead of Wiggins, and Marshall/Fosu ahead of Jackson.
    Wiggins was a superstar that season. Thought he was destined for the Prem with or without us before he got injured.
    Agree, along with Solly the two best fullback 's in the league
  • Was thinking about a combined Charlton XI from our champ/league1 teams from the past few years and how well we could do the other day

Hamer/Pope
    Solly Morrison Gomez Wiggins
    Kashi Stephens
    JBG Holmes/Jackson Lookman
    Yann

Would surely be flirting with champ play offs with that team. Shame
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd go:
    Hamer
    Solly (then)
    Morro
    Pearce
    Wiggins
    Holmes
    Kashi
    Stephens
    Jackson
    Yann
    BWP

Wiggins was a superstar that season. Thought he was destined for the Prem with or without us before he got injured.
    Agree, along with Solly the two best fullback 's in the league

Was thinking about a combined Charlton XI from our champ/league1 teams from the past few years and how well we could do the other day

Hamer/Pope
    Solly Morrison Gomez Wiggins
    Kashi Stephens
    JBG Holmes/Jackson Lookman
    Yann

Would surely be flirting with champ play offs with that team. Shame

Wiggins and Jackson wouldn't be in the team now.
  • One team won the league with record points, the other has beaten Bristol Rovers. Let's calm down a bit.

Most miserable bloke about int ya
    You ever met CLB74?
  • Any rumours ?

Nothing to see here, move along, havent you all got homes to go to.
  • edited August 2017
    This current team vs 11/12 team comparison is a bit pointless because we know exactly what the old team was capable of but we have little idea how good this one is yet.

What I do know is, I had no idea how good the 11/12 team was in August 2011 as I hadn't knowingly seen a single one of Powell's summer signings play before. I feel much the same about Robinson's signings too, but there are more players carried over from the previous season in the current team than there were in Powell's team.

I doubt we will ever be able to dominate a division again in the way we smashed it in 11/12, but I do have a suspicion we are going to be a more exciting and dynamic side the year than the one which swept all aside that season. There is probably more flair in the team now.
  • We were incredibly lucky with injuries in 2011/12, I'm struggling to think of a major injury we suffered that season. Danny Hollands having triplets was as bad as it got!

Yeah, I think although the team was quality, we did indeed get lucky. I still think that squad lacked depth, we didn't really have a decent reserve CB/RB or much width in that team. We would have severely missed nearly all of those players.

A pointless discussion but barring Magennis, Da Silva and Kashi, I do think this team could cope with the loss of any player, albeit short term I mean
  • edited August 2017

We were incredibly lucky with injuries in 2011/12, I'm struggling to think of a major injury we suffered that season. Danny Hollands having triplets was as bad as it got!

Yeah, I think although the team was quality, we did indeed get lucky. I still think that squad lacked depth, we didn't really have a decent reserve CB/RB or much width in that team. We would have severely missed nearly all of those players.

A pointless discussion but barring Magennis, Da Silva and Kashi, I do think this team could cope with the loss of any player, albeit short term I mean
    We had 3, Morrison, Taylor and Cort. Fortunately we never had to use Doherty.

Difference is we could bring in short term loans, so the squad could be that bit smaller.

I'm not sure it was just luck. The fitness/sport science/physios etc probably did a very good job.

No doubt we had a better pre-season than those under Peeters, Luzon and Slade.

A lot of that squad probably had a good records of playing regularly and having few injuries as well.

Style of play could also make a difference. Robinson wants aggressive tackling and high pressing. I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to a few injuries as the season goes on.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

I would swap Peter Varney for KM

I'd swap Reg Varney for KM
    Where has the love gone?
  • Scoham said:

We were incredibly lucky with injuries in 2011/12, I'm struggling to think of a major injury we suffered that season. Danny Hollands having triplets was as bad as it got!

We had 3, Morrison, Taylor and Cory. Fortunately we never had to use Doherty.

Difference is we could bring in short term loans, so the squad could be that bit smaller.

I'm not sure it was just luck. The fitness/sport science/physios etc did a very good job.

A lot of that squad probably had a good records of playing regularly and having few injuries as well.

Style of play could also make a difference. Robinson wants aggressive tackling and high pressing. I wouldn't be surprised if that leads to a few injuries as the season goes on.
    For some reason, last night I convinced myself Leon Cort only arrived in the January. Realised now he turned his loan permanent in the January
  • edited August 2017

Scoham said:

We had 3, Morrison, Taylor and Cory. Fortunately we never had to use Doherty.

I'm not sure it was just luck. The fitness/sport science/physios etc did a very good job.

For some reason, last night I convinced myself Leon Cort only arrived in the January. Realised now he turned his loan permanent in the January
    Cort and Morro were quality, in an old school manner. Taylor had found his level but did well too.
  • Had a look out of interest, Cort only started 10 league games that season. Taylor seems to be the one more easily forgotten but I always thought he did such a good job that you didn't really notice him. Players such a Bauer seem to be rated higher but he's never been consistent over a full season.
  • Scoham said:

Had a look out of interest, Cort only started 10 league games that season. Taylor seems to be the one more easily forgotten but I always thought he did such a good job that you didn't really notice him. Players such a Bauer seem to be rated higher but he's never been consistent over a full season.

Yeah Taylor and Morrison clicked and had a great understanding. Think Cort was the better player but joined when they had already started playing together and he just couldn't get a look in
  • edited August 2017

One team won the league with record points, the other has beaten Bristol Rovers. Let's calm down a bit.

Or just realistic. Cheers for the constant digs from you and your dad though. You must feel so brave behind that keyboard.
  • edited August 2017

One team won the league with record points, the other has beaten Bristol Rovers. Let's calm down a bit.

Or just realistic. Cheers for the constant digs from you and your dad though. You must feel so brave behind that keyboard.
    Hahahahaha it's like the second time I've commented on one of your miserable posts in ages. And can't remember my old man saying anything to you in recent times, so turn it in.