Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Quality interview from a quality manager.
  • I've had a bottle of red wine so this might be dazed optimism but I think he's going to take us up. It feels right this year, like Powell's first full season in charge. Please god.
  • The way Amos played today, Martin would be no 1 soon enough (unless Amos improves).

I thought Amos in the second half was excellent, a couple of early fumbles could just be nerves?
  • The way Amos played today, Martin would be no 1 soon enough (unless Amos improves).

I thought Amos in the second half was excellent, a couple of early fumbles could just be nerves?
    Even though it was his competitive debut for the club, a keeper with that experience shouldn't be nervous. I haven't seen enough of Amos to suggest whether he has what it takes to be a promotion winning League 1 keeper, I would guess he has though.

We have 2 decent keepers now, albeit an inexperienced one in reserve at the minute. People were calling for him to be given the Number 1 jersey not so long ago.
  • Everton's 19-year-old forward Ademola Lookman is wanted by Derby County on loan. (Daily Mail)

Keepers need confidence to stake their claim on the jersey.

Please give Amos time and full support to achieve that confidence. If we all do that, assuming he's got the basics, then he will improve - keepers thrive on confidence and perform much better when they are not looking over their shoulder every minute at a potential threat to replace them.

In reality, the psychology behind a number one keeper should be that he performs at his very best every game on the understanding that his substitute is only there to step in if he's injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Amos did not play at all badly yesterday, don't know where you got that impression.
  • purdis said:

Amos did not play at all badly yesterday, don't know where you got that impression.

Early fumble, dodgy tip over the bar, unconvincing on most crosses
  • wmcf123 said:

purdis said:

Amos did not play at all badly yesterday, don't know where you got that impression.

Early days yet - as I said - maybe you're right but I hope not, a good, confident keeper is so important for the back four to function with confidence.
  • purdis said:

wmcf123 said:

purdis said:

Early days yet - as I said - maybe you're right but I hope not, a good, confident keeper is so important for the back four to function with confidence.
    Agreed- he deserves more chances. Merely my observation from yesterday
  • cafcfan said:

purdis said:

The way Amos played today, Martin would be no 1 soon enough (unless Amos improves).

Keepers need confidence to stake their claim on the jersey.

Please give Amos time and full support to achieve that confidence. If we all do that, assuming he's got the basics, then he will improve - keepers thrive on confidence and perform much better when they are not looking over their shoulder every minute at a potential threat to replace them.

In reality, the psychology behind a number one keeper should be that he performs at his very best every game on the understanding that his substitute is only there to step in if he's injured.
    This. I remember watching a keeper called Bob Bolder have an absolute mare on his debut at Man City. I was thinking, Jeez, what have we got here. But he went on to do okay didn't he? I've never judged a keeper on his early performances since.
    Agree about Bokder at Man City.....cost us the game. And he wasn't too clever in the cup at Arsenal either......then he got better and better and better.....and was utterly superb in the run in and the whole of the following season.
  • purdis said:

Agreed. Yes, he had a couple of dodgey moments. However he kept a clean sheet on his debut, and made a really good save midway through the 2nd half.
  • Valley11 said:

Everton's 19-year-old forward Ademola Lookman is wanted by Derby County on loan. (Daily Mail)

I'd be surprised if Everton let him go.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck to Amos.
    However I don't feel at ease about the whole Dillon Phillips saga.
    Whatever eventually emerges I wish Dillon a good footballing career which I think will happen.
  • What's wrong with Magennis ? Will he be fit for Plymouth ?
  • What's wrong with Magennis ? Will he be fit for Plymouth ?

He says he will be
  • What is/was the problem?
  • Damaged his knee against Ipswich.
  • If Big Mag isn't available next week surely Robbo has to revert to 4-4-2 ? With no Novak I can't see how we can play Robinsons one up front.
  • If Big Mag isn't available next week surely Robbo has to revert to 4-4-2 ? With no Novak I can't see how we can play Robinsons one up front.

442 is going to be tough with 2 strikers out though? With no Magennis/Novak, we are going to revert to 5-5
  • In a perverse way much like Marshals injury forced our hand in buying another midfielder it could be that this twists the arm to get another striker.
    There is a Northern Irish fella playing for Wigan who seems to be a bit part player nowadays… wouldn't it be good if we could reignite that fire