Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Mavididi is going to be mustard. A lot of clubs want him, Wenger knows he's got a vast amount of potential and anyone who has seen him play would say the same. Given a run in the team I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I really hope we can get him and I really hope he comes good. He is like Thierry Henry was at the start...young and raw. He turned out half decent. He also mixed it up between being a winger and a striker

I'm sure he has the potential to go on a be a star, but comparing him to Henry is ludicrous, Henry was playing for France & Monaco when he was Mavididi age not a mid table 3rd division side
    Wenger bought potential in Henry. He bought a 22 year old striker with a very average goalscoring record and played him out wide - the rest is history. I'm not saying he's the next Henry but he has been spoken in the same sentences as TH for a while at Arsenal and we've only seen glimpses. Mavididi at 19 needs regular football and I genuinely hope it's for us. We should only judge him after a prolonged period of regular first team football - just look at Jay DaSilva's development with us last season.
    To be fair wasn't Henry more of a wide player at Juve, then moved inside later? It's what everyone thought would happen to Theo Walcott except for the fact that Theo Walcott doesn't have the technical ability or tactical sense to play centrally.

As an aside (and I know I'm way off topic here but this has been bothering me for days so please indulge me) Taylor Twellman, former US international turned commentator said during the Man City game the other night that he felt Sterling was similar to Theo Walcott. Now he meant that in terms of "not sure if he can put all his potential together." But like, Sterling is 22 ffs. And for whatever you think of him, Sterling is a million times more technically gifted than Walcott, which you could see from a young age.

Walcott has always been rapid, and had to learn the game and grow his technical ability, amongst loads of injuries. Sterling is technically gifted and quick as an aside, and he needs to improve his decision making in the final third. I know he was officially the national scapegoat because he had the audacity to buy his mother a nice house, but whenever I saw Sterling last year he looked very dangerous. Didn't always make the right decision, sometimes drifted in and out of the game (hes a winger to be fair), but he is technically very good, quick, much stronger than he looks, and he presses well for City.
  • Announce reeves

Is it me or does Vic look like he's using Jedi mind power to draw Ben towards the Valley.
    Or is he using it to tell Greenie Jr
    "I am not the Midfield genius you are looking for"
  • Reeves obviously has a very high opinion of himself.
    The trouble is that at best he is a lower table Championship / League 1 player and clubs are not exactly falling over themselves to pay the money that he believes that he is worth.

The season starts in 4 days and even if someone signs him I doubt that he is anywhere near match fit. He has missed a complete pre season training and will be playing catch up until the middle of September.

I hope that Charlton tell him that they are not interested.
  • I think that Karl Robinson is getting impatient as well and that<s why he said that he is looking at other players as well as Reeves.
    The trouble is that at best he is a lower table Championship / League 1 player and clubs are not exactly falling over themselves to pay the money that he believes that he is worth.

The season starts in 4 days and even if someone signs him I doubt that he is anywhere near match fit. He has missed a complete pre season training and will be playing catch up until the middle of September.

I don't know what's happened with him. The season ended April 30th (I think) and it was clear before then that he was going to let his contract run down. It seems pretty clear that he has, or has had, suitors. But it's been three months. I get he's 25 and this should be his big payday but...three months?!?!

For me, if it were Reeves or Stewart, another goalkeeper, and Madvididi for the year I'd take the latter. I don't know what he's asking in wages but it must be a fair amount and given his injury record I think the club should look to put him on a contract with high incentive/performance bonuses as opposed to a high base.

I think we've largely done some very good business this summer, but this whole Reeves saga, to me, illustrates how silly is was to let Ceballos go when we did. If we can't get Reeves, I struggle to see us attracting a significantly better player than Ceballos. And any such player would almost certainly require a transfer fee and at least decent wages so I suspect the financial footprint would be similar. No, it's not guaranteed that CC would do well at League One level, but he has the technical ability to be a Championship player.

Time will tell. Obviously ideally you'd like all your business done well in advance, but at our level there are all kinds of extraneous factors outside of our control that can have knock-on effects to the deals we want to do. The window is open for another month. Right now we have a strong first XI, and any signings made should either be to provide quality in depth (Madvididi) or, ideally, to push for a starting birth (Reeves). We're now past the point of signing experienced lower league players just for the sake of it.
  • Alex Bruce?
  • Robbo and others seemed to suggest that he was after Alex Bruce on 5live tonight. Unless it was all a massive joke that I didn't get..
  • Sponsored links:

• Robbo and others seemed to suggest that he was after Alex Bruce on 5live tonight. Unless it was all a massive joke that I didn't get..

I would say that's exactly what it was

It went over my head.

It went over my head.
    Sorry properly not clear in my message I meant I agree he is trying to sign him rather a joke you did not get
  • If Alex Bruce is on the wish list does that mean konza is off?
  • edited August 2017

If Alex Bruce is on the wish list does that mean Konsa is off?

Might mean Sarr and Lennon are

It went over my head.
    Sorry properly not clear in my message I meant I agree he is trying to sign him rather a joke you did not get
    Ahh right. I wasn't sure whether to believe it as I don't see a 32 yr old centre back as what we need... Can he play left back or right back?
  • I thought Alex Bruce was on trial at Bolton . Not sure why we are linked with him unless someone is leaving .
  • edited August 2017
    Was this 5Live thing with Robinson pre-recorded? He was meant to be at Leyton Orient this evening watching Mavididi, who happened to score again tonight in a 5-1 win for Arsenal's U23s.

Okay, have just seen that he was on the phone this evening for 5 minutes so that makes sense.
  • That would be quite an irritating signing tbh
  • Sponsored links:

• Reeves still not signed? Not surprising I suppose. If only we'd spoken to him earlier than January it might have been sorted by now.
  • You really don't get how this thread works, do you golfie?
  • edited August 2017

I'd tell Reeves to f*** off.

Are we so desperate to sign somebody who appears not too interested in signing for us?
  • dickplumb said:

The Ben Reeves deal is close, should be agreed by this evening. There is still some negotiating to be done. If all goes well it will probably be announced Thursday. This is from an extremely good source.

Genuine question - What can still need negotiationg when we first made him an offer over six weeks ago?
  • Is he actually training with us?

Safe to say this window hasn't gone as he planned