Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Six months surprises me for Mavididi... Why such a short loan for the young man who isnt exactly going to head back to Arsenal and score the goals needed for Europa League glory!!

We won't need to keep him when we get Marshall back from injury. No point in paying his wages when he isn't needed
  • Six months surprises me for Mavididi... Why such a short loan for the young man who isnt exactly going to head back to Arsenal and score the goals needed for Europa League glory!!

It's possible that he or Arsenal would want to consider their options again in January anyway
  • JamesSeed said:

Really really don't want Mavididi, not a bad player by any means but basing your team around a loan player never ends well

Good player with pace, and a good attitude. He could make all the difference.

I saw him play twice and I really didn't see what most seem to see in him, was extremely lazy and disinterested when he didn't have the ball, looked good when he got the ball but was extremely greedy and kept losing possession

• JamesSeed said:

Really really don't want Mavididi, not a bad player by any means but basing your team around a loan player never ends well

I saw him play twice and I really didn't see what most seem to see in him, was extremely lazy and disinterested when he didn't have the ball, looked good when he got the ball but was extremely greedy and kept losing possession

Then you clearly didn't see him enough to make a judgement. That's why so many clubs are after him.
  • JamesSeed said:

He is also young and only played a handful of games at the level. He was finding is feet and trying to prove his worth. If he had stayed fit he would have settled down and hopefully found some rhythm and learned how to play the role in senior football.

He is clearly a talented footballer, and hopefully if we get him back he will flourish
  • Would say that he perhaps needs to work on his decision making rather than that he's extremely greedy. He's only a teenager and still learning his trade. Maybe I'm being generous. If he does that though, I think he'll be extremely dangerous in this division.
  • Chrispy51 said:

JamesSeed said:

He is also young and only played a handful of games at the level. He was finding is feet and trying to prove his worth. If he had stayed fit he would have settled down and hopefully found some rhythm and learned how to play the role in senior football.

He is clearly a talented footballer, and hopefully if we get him back he will flourish
    Fair enough, i'm not trying to slate a potentially very good player, would just rather get someone in that can help to improve us going forward, if he is just being signed as a back up to cover whilst Marshall is out then that can only be a good thing as it adds depth, if however he is being brought in as a striker i would rather put my faith in players we own rather rely on a player who has never scored a senior goal. Interesting to see different peoples views :smile:

Not 100% sure on this but I think loans can only be season long loans. But, as said previously, if a six month recall is in the pre-agreement then he can go back in January or whenever the player and both clubs mutually agree.
  • cafc-west said:

Six months surprises me for Mavididi... Why such a short loan for the young man who isnt exactly going to head back to Arsenal and score the goals needed for Europa League glory!!

Not 100% sure on this but I think loans can only be season long loans. But, as said previously, if a six month recall is in the pre-agreement then he can go back in January or whenever the player and both clubs mutually agree.
    Unless its different in January you can definitely have half-season loans as we originally signed Mavididi on one
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2017
    cafc-west said:

Six months surprises me for Mavididi... Why such a short loan for the young man who isnt exactly going to head back to Arsenal and score the goals needed for Europa League glory!!

No that's not the case at all, you can do a 6 month loan fine.

It's just the case with emergency loans being scrapped that teams tend to do year long with a January option to cancel for both teams

It's possible that he or Arsenal would want to consider their options again in January anyway
    This. It may be after a few months on loan in league One he's ready for a step up. The bits I saw of him he looked very talented. Adding him and Reeves would mean nothing short of top 2 should be expected. At that point we'd have a very, very good squad fo this level.
  • SDAddick said:

This. It may be after a few months on loan in league One he's ready for a step up. The bits I saw of him he looked very talented. Adding him and Reeves would mean nothing short of top 2 should be expected. At that point we'd have a very, very good squad fo this level.
    Not sure I share these levels of optimism... the majority of the current squad came close to giving us our lowest league finish in 90 years last season.
  • edited August 2017
    matt88 said:

SDAddick said:

Not sure I share these levels of optimism... the majority of the current squad came close to giving us our lowest league finish in 90 years last season.
    Mainly because the only midfield creativity we had was Holmes.

We now have Holmes, Fosu, Clarke, Marshall (when fit) and hopefully Reeves and maybe Mavididi or someone as good.
    Not forgetting Kashi and Forster-Caskey.
  • Swisdom said:

Mavididi is going to be mustard. A lot of clubs want him, Wenger knows he's got a vast amount of potential and anyone who has seen him play would say the same. Given a run in the team I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I really hope we can get him and I really hope he comes good. He is like Thierry Henry was at the start...young and raw. He turned out half decent. He also mixed it up between being a winger and a striker

I'm sure he has the potential to go on a be a star, but comparing him to Henry is ludicrous, Henry was playing for France & Monaco when he was Mavididi age not a mid table 3rd division side
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:

Mavididi is going to be mustard. A lot of clubs want him, Wenger knows he's got a vast amount of potential and anyone who has seen him play would say the same. Given a run in the team I think you might be pleasantly surprised. I really hope we can get him and I really hope he comes good. He is like Thierry Henry was at the start...young and raw. He turned out half decent. He also mixed it up between being a winger and a striker

I'm sure he has the potential to go on a be a star, but comparing him to Henry is ludicrous, Henry was playing for France & Monaco when he was Mavididi age not a mid table 3rd division side
    Wenger bought potential in Henry. He bought a 22 year old striker with a very average goalscoring record and played him out wide - the rest is history. I'm not saying he's the next Henry but he has been spoken in the same sentences as TH for a while at Arsenal and we've only seen glimpses. Mavididi at 19 needs regular football and I genuinely hope it's for us. We should only judge him after a prolonged period of regular first team football - just look at Jay DaSilva's development with us last season.
  • Swisdom said:

Swisdom said:

Wenger bought potential in Henry. He bought a 22 year old striker with a very average goalscoring record and played him out wide - the rest is history. I'm not saying he's the next Henry but he has been spoken in the same sentences as TH for a while at Arsenal and we've only seen glimpses. Mavididi at 19 needs regular football and I genuinely hope it's for us. We should only judge him after a prolonged period of regular first team football - just look at Jay DaSilva's development with us last season.
    Henry had been one of the stars in the French 1998 World Cup success as a wide striker though. He was widely known but other than showing promise at Monaco he had yet to hit the heights.
  • cafcfan said:

Huddersfield got promoted to the prem on loans. It'll do me.
    Yeah but what does that prove? 12.5% of the teams in that league got promoted. I haven't looked but I bet the 87.5% who didn't get promoted had close to the same number of loan players as Huddersfield. As ever, it's quality and effort that is needed. If you get a Francis Coquelin, then great. If you get a Frank Nouble or a Eggert Jónsson, then not so great.
    I think the point was more that Huddersfield are proof that loans if done sensibly can help rather than hinder your team. You made the same point in your post so I'm struggling to see where the disagreement is here.
  • sam3110 said:

Who said anything about basing the team around him?

Should we send Dasilva back and play Jacko at left back?
    sam3110 said:

Who said anything about basing the team around him?

Should we send Dasilva back and play Jacko at left back?
    Whilst the loan market has its short term benefits for many clubs, I'm still undecided to why clubs should simply let Chelsea as one example farm all these players out when there is zero desire by them to play them in their first team. They continue to earn their millions, and Dasilva will no doubt move on to somewhere else next season or before. As said above it never ends well for the club taking the loan if you are relying on this alone to get you promoted.
  • Announce reeves
  • edited August 2017