Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• If we don't get Stephy I'd like to get Stewart until Jan to cover for Marshall while he's out.

Agreed. Mavididi has a bright future but I feel Stewart could make more of an impact for us.
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reeves obviously has a very high opinion of himself.
    The trouble is that at best he is a lower table Championship / League 1 player and clubs are not exactly falling over themselves to pay the money that he believes that he is worth.

The season starts in 4 days and even if someone signs him I doubt that he is anywhere near match fit. He has missed a complete pre season training and will be playing catch up until the middle of September.

I hope that Charlton tell him that they are not interested.

I'd tell Reeves to f*** off.

Are we so desperate to sign somebody who appears not too interested in signing for us?
    Have you spoken to Reeves and know that he isn't interested in signing for us? If you have then you're more than welcome to tell him where to go but i suspect you know nothing so i suggest you don't tell him where to go as he is a very good football player.

Do you honestly think these contracts are easy to sort out? I'm no fan of the regime at all but i do understand that signing a footballer isn't an easy job.

Have a bit of common sense man.
    I fully understand there is a lot involved in negotiations / contracts etc but we managed to get 4 other incoming deals over the line and also a number of outgoing deals executed. The longer this goes on the more likely another club will come up on the rails and nab him. I hope KR has a back up plan.
    Really? They won't just have a backup plan, they will have several.

Losing out on players, players leaving, injuries etc etc is the way of football. Every club (even ours) has a list of targets, for every position, with an expected price range or expected loan cost which is continually updated.

The club will have made a decision as to if they will try and recruit another if this one falls through, and if they have, soundings will have been taken.
    Yes, really.

I suspect the back up plan, is they will go with what they have if they don't get Reeves over the line. Or let's put it like this, I will be very pleasantly surprised if they do try and recruit another if this one falls through.

You maybe right and the decision is that we use X from the squad. If Robbo decides he can't find better than what he has or the budget does not stretch to better than he has, then that is the plan.

You may disagree with his decision, but that's football.
    Redrobo - I don't dispute any of the points you make. Agree absolutely.

These forums are not the best place for lengthy discourses. I guess my point is, I don't think the squad is strong enough yet to get us promoted and therefore if a deal with Reeves doesn't get over the line, I don't think falling back on X in the current squad is going to get us there. And if KR is looking to try and get 3 more in and Reeves is one of them, it appears he likely feels the same. For the past 3 seasons we have got to the end of the window at end August and there were significant gaps in the squad. At present it appears KR is willing to wait for Reeves to make a decision, i.e. he appears to be dictating the timeline and that may have some consequences in terms of KR's ability to bring in an alternative of similar quality, of which of course he is aware.

I guess I haven't seen enough of Reeves to judge whether he is the messiah, or just a very naughty boy!

• If we don't get Stephy I'd like to get Stewart until Jan to cover for Marshall while he's out.

Agreed. Mavididi has a bright future but I feel Stewart could make more of an impact for us.
    It's a toss up for me, Madvididi has such a lovely turn of pace and some great skill, but he seems erratic, which is to be expected of someone so young.

The problem with Stewart seems to be that Robinson had a good 3-4 week look at him and it never really seemed like he was likely to be offered a contract. I thought he looked decent in the friendlies, his best being against Welling, but he also had days where nothing came off for him and he gave the ball away too easily. And Robinson was critical of his fitness.

He is certainly a different type of wide player than we currently have--more of the chalk on your boots get good crosses in type, and I think that could be useful. But if he's not physically ready then he will really struggle with our high pressing, high tempo style. And even if fit, that desire to stay wide is markedly different from the interchange Robinson wants.
  • Stewart could return then. Could go a lot worse IMO
  • Holmes/Clarke/Fosu/Reeves*/Watt/KAG/Aribo are all thoroughly decent options for the 3 attacking midfield positions. We don't need Stewart
  • SDAddick said:

If we don't get Stephy I'd like to get Stewart until Jan to cover for Marshall while he's out.

It's a toss up for me, Madvididi has such a lovely turn of pace and some great skill, but he seems erratic, which is to be expected of someone so young.

The problem with Stewart seems to be that Robinson had a good 3-4 week look at him and it never really seemed like he was likely to be offered a contract. I thought he looked decent in the friendlies, his best being against Welling, but he also had days where nothing came off for him and he gave the ball away too easily. And Robinson was critical of his fitness.

He is certainly a different type of wide player than we currently have--more of the chalk on your boots get good crosses in type, and I think that could be useful. But if he's not physically ready then he will really struggle with our high pressing, high tempo style. And even if fit, that desire to stay wide is markedly different from the interchange Robinson wants.
    I certainly don't disagree with you, some valid points there SD. I also agree that being purely a winger could probably count against Stewart rather than Mavididi who could interchange with others. I just feel Stewart has that knack of getting a goal from nowhere at times, at least he did in his previous spell while with Mavididi are we going to be already 2-0 up before he adds a 3rd goal, is he going to drag us from 0-1 down to 2-1 up? I'm not sure Mavididi, as good a talent as he is would do that? We went on that desperate winless run in Feb / March and he didn't score while a few times I can remember Stewart digging us out of a hole.

The underlying issue though has to be his fitness, does Stewart have it in him to play the tempo Robinson wants? As you say the fact he's been looked at for 3-4 weeks suggests possibly not.
  • Reeves and then maybe a gun striker but only if one is available, that'll do me
  • Are they? I'd be worried if KAG was starting regularly. Watt looks good when he's beating players but he didn't show any real end product for us or Hearts last season. Aribo still has a lot to prove as well.

Playing a lone striker it's important all of the 3 contribute with goals and assists. I'm not convinced those 3 would do that.

Mavididi or similar would be ideal, someone that could play out wide and potentially physical enough to play as the lone striker.
  • Stewart could return then. Could go a lot worse IMO

I would assume that KR was waiting to see if he can get Madvididi first if not give Stewart a short contract to prove his fitness, obviously from the bench to start with, which is probably what KR and Stewart discussed when he said he may still give him a call. I know they may not necessarily play the same position but I would think the budget will let KR only have so many more players and he wants someone else for the wing position and both can play there
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame about the ears.
  • Wow we have a brand new Nike strip
  • Scoham said:
    10.33 this morning, I wonder why the OS has not announced it yet :wink:
  • Wow! I gathered he was a funny looking fucker... but up close, wow!
  • We've signed Mr potato head that's fantastic news
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

The trouble is that at best he is a lower table Championship / League 1 player and clubs are not exactly falling over themselves to pay the money that he believes that he is worth.

The season starts in 4 days and even if someone signs him I doubt that he is anywhere near match fit. He has missed a complete pre season training and will be playing catch up until the middle of September.

Are we so desperate to sign somebody who appears not too interested in signing for us?
    Have you spoken to Reeves and know that he isn't interested in signing for us? If you have then you're more than welcome to tell him where to go but i suspect you know nothing so i suggest you don't tell him where to go as he is a very good football player.

Do you honestly think these contracts are easy to sort out? I'm no fan of the regime at all but i do understand that signing a footballer isn't an easy job.

I fully understand there is a lot involved in negotiations / contracts etc but we managed to get 4 other incoming deals over the line and also a number of outgoing deals executed. The longer this goes on the more likely another club will come up on the rails and nab him. I hope KR has a back up plan.

Losing out on players, players leaving, injuries etc etc is the way of football. Every club (even ours) has a list of targets, for every position, with an expected price range or expected loan cost which is continually updated.

The club will have made a decision as to if they will try and recruit another if this one falls through, and if they have, soundings will have been taken.
    Yes, really.

I suspect the back up plan, is they will go with what they have if they don't get Reeves over the line. Or let's put it like this, I will be very pleasantly surprised if they do try and recruit another if this one falls through.

You maybe right and the decision is that we use X from the squad. If Robbo decides he can't find better than what he has or the budget does not stretch to better than he has, then that is the plan.

These forums are not the best place for lengthy discourses. I guess my point is, I don't think the squad is strong enough yet to get us promoted and therefore if a deal with Reeves doesn't get over the line, I don't think falling back on X in the current squad is going to get us there. And if KR is looking to try and get 3 more in and Reeves is one of them, it appears he likely feels the same. For the past 3 seasons we have got to the end of the window at end August and there were significant gaps in the squad. At present it appears KR is willing to wait for Reeves to make a decision, i.e. he appears to be dictating the timeline and that may have some consequences in terms of KR's ability to bring in an alternative of similar quality, of which of course he is aware.

I guess I haven't seen enough of Reeves to judge whether he is the messiah, or just a very naughty boy!

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Yes, really.

Lol
  • Year 5 ?
    LOL Schoolboy terms
  • Sponsored links:

• so much for "doing our business early" this season. 3 days until the start of the season & we are still 3 or 4 players short.

I'm not afraid to say it - I don't want Reeves now. the guy is a total plank - sitting there for the last 2 months deciding what offer to take & expects us to go on bended knew 'coz Marshall is now injured. Feck him.

I would rather spend the wages on a decent striker. We don't really have back up for Big Mag (Novak is no replacement & unlikely to score more than a handful of goals all season - and KAG just can't finish).

5Live on Monday were talking about the start of the EPL & mentioned that Boro have FIVE quality strikers (Bamford, Gestead, Asombalonga, & 2 others I cant remember) and when discussing that not all can play & some will have to go, Alex Bruce said "you can never have enough strikers" - and we are going into a 46 game campaign with just 1 player who got into double figures last season. Yes, the midfield will chip in with a few each, but I've never known a team to get promotion with such a powder puff attack such as ours.

Magennis and Holmes both reached double figures for us last season but if you are only referring to strikers then yes only Magennis did.
  • Reeves has held out for a 19-year contract.
  • edited August 2017

Reeves has held out for a 19-year contract.

KM has given it too him at £50,000 a week subject to a rolling 10% increase each year and has agreed to a golden handshake payment of £5 million pounds when he retires at 44 and all the chips he can eat (but only 12 in each portion, she wouldn't budge on that)
    And of course no sell on clause when he decides to leave us for Bolton/Sheff Utd/unknown Spanish club.
    During the press conference KM states that she believes Ben could be League One's answer to Neymar, so anything PSG can do.
    Ben states that it's the hardest negotiations he's ever had, but mentions he would have been happy with £10,000 a week, but Katie was having none of it.
  • I agree, Mavididi would be a good signing, strong player who will only get better.