Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Redhenry said:

He still says 4 players.
    Surely these are a goalie, rb, lb and a striker ?
    If Wright is coming are we playing rush goalie ?

Why do we need a RB? We have Solly, Barnes and Konsa.
    I agree. KR has been saying for weeks he wanted a RB.
  • We could do with a right back, you want two players in each position. If Solly gets injured you either have to play Konsa out of position or Barnes who isn't proven at any sort of professional level at the moment.

Goalkeeper and left back are other obvious positions we need. I'd be dissapointed if now Ceballos has went we didn't bring in another attacking midfielder.

Personally I think we need another CM as well, a winger and potentially a striker.

I suspect we'll end up with a goalkeeper, a left back, a right back and a winger who could fill in as a number 10 if needs be.

• Redrobo said:

Josh Wright linked on Sky News. Really prefer Lapslie despite no senior appearances.

I bet he is in his last year of contract and this is to put some pressure on the Scally. Not what we need.
    Doubt KR would've made much of a comment if this was the case. Would've been a much more straight up denial.
    I thought he was being respectful of a good player and it did not sound to me if he was seriously intrested. Time will tell.
  • Progress with the nice Blue away top, another backward step with Ceballos leaving.

Nice blue? In what world is a blue shirt nice? Anyway are we up yet?
  • We could do with a right back, you want two players in each position. If Solly gets injured you either have to play Konsa out of position or Barnes who isn't proven at any sort of professional level at the moment.

Goalkeeper and left back are other obvious positions we need. I'd be dissapointed if now Ceballos has went we didn't bring in another attacking midfielder.

Personally I think we need another CM as well, a winger and potentially a striker.

I suspect we'll end up with a goalkeeper, a left back, a right back and a winger who could fill in as a number 10 if needs be.

Konsa has consistently demonstrated he's good enough at RB which likely makes Barnes third choice. If we keep Sarr (heaven forbid...) then that's 5 CB including Konsa providing cover for RB and sufficient depth at CB.

I can't see how we need another CM when we've already got 4 first team players there plus kids and Jackson on occasion.

Winger we definitely need as we've only got 3 plus KAG who may be utilised out there. Stewart seems the obvious candidate.

Striker - we've got 3 plus Clarke if need be plus kids (KAG, Kennedy and Hanlan) for one role in KR's formation - so I can't see the need for another striker unless it's an upgrade and shiput someone out.

For me the immediate priorities have to be GK and LB with a wide player to follow. The problem with this squad is there aren't many utility players who can play multiple positions - particularly those who can fill in at full back (Chicken and Byrne were good examples). The only reason I'm disappointed in Ceballos going is that he can play CM, wide or in the number 10 role and you need those sort of players in a small squad to cope.

Konsa, KAG and RCC may all be very useful this year if for no other reason than their versitility.

I think a GK, LB and Winger/Number 10 are the three priorities. Possibly would add a striker aswell but with Kag, Novak, Magennis and Watt, that won't happen unless at least one of them leaves (and I would definitely get rid of Watt).

Konsa, Barnes and RCC can also cover right-back, although I agree they are either inexperienced our out of position (both in the case of RCC).

I cannot see the need for another CM personally.
  • Crusty54 said:

Please can the moderators delete all postings that are not transfer rumours.

Good shout, will be easier keeping this to one page!
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:

Please can the moderators @i_b_b_o_r_g delete all postings that are not transfer rumours.

Fixed this for you crusty
  • Can the moderators delete the other 798 comments that are not rumours and not single out certain messages that might of hurt the big guns. Thank you
  • While a GK and LB are the priority I'd still like a right back, ideally one with more pace and threat going forward than Solly. That's an important part of how KR wants to play. Konsa doesn't really offer that and I'm not sure Barnes will.
  • cabbles said:

Crusty54 said:

Please can the moderators @i_b_b_o_r_g delete all postings that are not transfer rumours.

Fixed this for you crusty
    Thanks piddles
  • Crusty54 said:

Christ, that'll take them until the next transfer window.
  • Can the moderators delete the other 798 comments that are not rumours and not single out certain messages that might of hurt the big guns. Thank you

Well you have just added to the work load.....damn so have I.
  • Scoham said:

While a GK and LB are the priority I'd still like a right back, ideally one with more pace and threat going forward than Solly. That's an important part of how KR wants to play. Konsa doesn't really offer that and I'm not sure Barnes will.

I think Barnes does when I've seen him a few times.
  • If we can't get Reeves (I am starting to not want him anyway based on his holdout) then Josh Wright is probably a modest upgrade. First, he scored more goals last year than Reeves. Second, go to Gillingham fan sites and they pretty much claim he was their best player last year. I'll take Wright over ... nothing.
  • Also, has anyone signed George Thomas from Coventry yet? He is an under-23 "free" and has a very bright future. He has scored some amazing goals the last year. I would take him over Reeves in a heartbeat. Younger, probably better and more upside.

• If we can't get Reeves (I am starting to not want him anyway based on his holdout) then Josh Wright is probably a modest upgrade. First, he scored more goals last year than Reeves. Second, go to Gillingham fan sites and they pretty much claim he was their best player last year. I'll take Wright over ... nothing.

Is being the best player at Gillingham anything to shout about?
  • Sponsored links:

• Also, has anyone signed George Thomas from Coventry yet? He is an under-23 "free" and has a very bright future. He has scored some amazing goals the last year. I would take him over Reeves in a heartbeat. Younger, probably better and more upside.

Don't know him but sounds ok. Getting into the ABR (anyone but Reeves) camp
  • I know this is probably not the right thread, but............can someone please explain what a No 10 is ??? When I was growing up in the 70's football was an easy game to understand & everyone played 4-4-2, with the "2" being strikers. Yes, they wore no's 9 & 10 but to me they did the same thing - they put the ball into the onion-bag !!

Now I keep reading we need to sign a "no 10" or have players who can do that job - but all I see are 4 players (Mag, Novak, Clarke, Watt) who I deem to be strikers & between them are not prolific enough to score enough goals to get us into the top 6, let alone the top 2. We also have a couple of younger players (KAG & Kennedy) who could fill in, but again, I don't see them getting more than a couple of goals each if they played.

I realise that KR plays 4-4-1-1 or variations of, but surely you still need someone to put the ball into the net. MaG is probably the best out of the ones we have but even then I don't think he'll get much more than a dozen goals all season, Am I being too pessimistic or will this wonder system KR wants to play deliver the goods ?
  • edited July 2017

I know this is probably not the right thread, but............can someone please explain what a No 10 is ??? When I was growing up in the 70's football was an easy game to understand & everyone played 4-4-2, with the "2" being strikers. Yes, they wore no's 9 & 10 but to me they did the same thing - they put the ball into the onion-bag !!

Now I keep reading we need to sign a "no 10" or have players who can do that job - but all I see are 4 players (Mag, Novak, Clarke, Watt) who I deem to be strikers & between them are not prolific enough to score enough goals to get us into the top 6, let alone the top 2. We also have a couple of younger players (KAG & Kennedy) who could fill in, but again, I don't see them getting more than a couple of goals each if they played.

I realise that KR plays 4-4-1-1 or variations of, but surely you still need someone to put the ball into the net. MaG is probably the best out of the ones we have but even then I don't think he'll get much more than a dozen goals all season, Am I being too pessimistic or will this wonder system KR wants to play deliver the goods ?

in a 4231 (Robbo's preferred formation), you have 2 CM's and then a front 4 of 2 wingers, an attacking midfielder and a striker.
    If you think of Chelsea, it would have been something like this:
    Costa
    Hazard, Willian, Pedro

Willian would be the 10, someone who floats a bit but is basically the one behind the striker. I would suggest it's also close to our formation when we started a season so well of:
    Bent
    Thomas, Murphy, Rommedahl
    Smertin, Kishishev

Kashi would be our Kishishev and JFC/Aribo our Smertin. We are looking for someone who can score goals and be the main playmaker, hence the interest in Reeves.

Luckily, pre-season has looked good for Ceballos as I think he does exactly what we are looking for :)

In current climent, yes
  • Crusty54 said:

Does that include your post? :-)

By the way, I heard a rumour that we'll sign Ronald McDonald. Please don't delete me, please.

I'm sure there were Sheffield Utd fans saying that about Holmes. Beggars and choosers and all that.
  • edited July 2017

I know this is probably not the right thread, but............can someone please explain what a No 10 is ??? When I was growing up in the 70's football was an easy game to understand & everyone played 4-4-2, with the "2" being strikers. Yes, they wore no's 9 & 10 but to me they did the same thing - they put the ball into the onion-bag !!

in a 4231 (Robbo's preferred formation), you have 2 CM's and then a front 4 of 2 wingers, an attacking midfielder and a striker.
    Costa
    Hazard, Willian, Pedro

Willian would be the 10, someone who floats a bit but is basically the one behind the striker. I would suggest it's also close to our formation when we started a season so well of:
    Bent
    Smertin, Kishishev

Kashi would be our Kishishev and JFC/Aribo our Smertin. We are looking for someone who can score goals and be the main playmaker, hence the interest in Reeves.

Luckily, pre-season has looked good for Ceballos as I think he does exactly what we are looking for :)
    Bad news for you then
  • I know this is probably not the right thread, but............can someone please explain what a No 10 is ??? When I was growing up in the 70's football was an easy game to understand & everyone played 4-4-2, with the "2" being strikers. Yes, they wore no's 9 & 10 but to me they did the same thing - they put the ball into the onion-bag !!

Costa
    Hazard, Willian, Pedro

Bent
    Smertin, Kishishev

Bad news for you then
    Whooooooooosh
  • It has been a month since our last signing (Fosu - 19th June)

Since then we have seen: a striker leave, who although very frustrating has scored more than 20 goals in a season; A defender leave who was on very high wages for a League 1 player but played in a large percentage of our games last season; and a midfielder who has shown some signs of promise during pre-season and one I feel was never really given a real chance in the team.

We have seen 12 players leave/return to their parent clubs and have signed 3 replacements.

Our squad seemed inadequate and thin on the ground last year, the year before and the year before that - are we going for a new record this year?

Did we throw all of our eggs in one basket with Reeves and now we have nothing else lined up? Much like the long, drawn-out pursuit of Delort, which resulted (perhaps thankfully) in us not signing him or another striker and looking thin upfront. Didn't we also spend ages supposedly after Gradel and end up not signing a similar player when it failed a few seasons ago?

TLDR - we need some signings for our thin squad and fast.