Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?

Robinson says he wants two players off each position so Wright would be competing with the likes of Kashi and JFC.
    I don't doubt he'd be competing for a place, my point is will he leave a club where's he guaranteed to start, to potentially sit on our bench every week. Although i guess 1-2k extra a week might help that problem.
  • If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?

Robinson says he wants two players off each position so Wright would be competing with the likes of Kashi and JFC.
    We have that at the moment with those two, Crofts and Aribo. Could see Wright coming in if one of them left.
  • edited July 2017
    Scoham said:

If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?

We have that at the moment with those two, Crofts and Aribo. Could see Wright coming in if one of them left.
    Konsa can also play there and Jackson too (although he'd be a last choice). It really isn't a position we need to strengthen
  • if Josh Wright signs, will his sister-in-law pop down to the Valley to watch him ;)
  • if Josh Wright signs, will his sister-in-law pop down to the Valley to watch him ;)

his sister would do!
  • Is he a Charlton fan?
  • Stewart said:

Is he a Charlton fan?

West Ham I think
  • No thanks to Josh Wright and his Family. Overrated.
  • Redrobo said:

Sage said:

The more I see and read about this Wright rumour, the more I think it could happen. Would be a good signing in my opinion, definitely an upgrade on Crofts and shown last season Wright can score goals too.

Waste of a wage for me. GK, LB and a striker are my top wish list.

We have more than enough MF and the young backs can play wide if needed. I know I have said this before, but I firmly believe that you need to buy the best CF you can afford and build the team around him, which is what we did with Killer. You can have all the fancy formations in the world but you need someone to stick it in the net.

Mag is hardly prolific, but I expect this to be his most productive. If he is unable to play I think we could be in trouble. I wish Watt had left instead of Aribo as he is not a striker imo. Oh well.
    Finally a rumour, Aribo is off!
    Whoops.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017

He will improve our squad. He's available. He's affordable. He wants to play for us.

No brainer?

Not if it means not signing a player for a more important position.
  • dickplumb said:

No thanks to Josh Wright and his Family. Overrated.

His Mum is overrated?
  • dickplumb said:

I don't see where his family come into this
    Towie.

and Crofts, Aribo, Jackson, Lapslie, Dikjsteel? Thats more like 3 players for that position.
    Crofts - Not good enough to start every game
    Aribo - Only played a handful of games but signs a very good player
    Jackson - Past his best now, any team looking to do well cant not have JJ as starter unfortunately
    Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

I still feel we need another CM alongside Kashi(Fitness) and JFC.
  • Redrobo said:

Sage said:

The more I see and read about this Wright rumour, the more I think it could happen. Would be a good signing in my opinion, definitely an upgrade on Crofts and shown last season Wright can score goals too.

Waste of a wage for me. GK, LB and a striker are my top wish list.

We have more than enough MF and the young backs can play wide if needed. I know I have said this before, but I firmly believe that you need to buy the best CF you can afford and build the team around him, which is what we did with Killer. You can have all the fancy formations in the world but you need someone to stick it in the net.

Mag is hardly prolific, but I expect this to be his most productive. If he is unable to play I think we could be in trouble. I wish Watt had left instead of Aribo as he is not a striker imo. Oh well.
    No need to read anymore - says it all. Close the thread. Nothing else can come close.
  • dickplumb said:

I don't see where his family come into this
    Towie.
    Still has nothing to do with whether he'd be a good signing or not.

and Crofts, Aribo, Jackson, Lapslie, Dikjsteel? Thats more like 3 players for that position.
    Jackson - Past his best now, any team looking to do well cant not have JJ as starter unfortunately
    Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

Let's put things into perspective though. If we go into a season with 23 odd senior players (2 each position and a 3rd striker) and then 4/5 promising youngsters as cover, we have to accept that is the best we are going to get as it certainly trumps anything we have had in the past few years.

I don't see the point in having 6 CM's if it's going to leave us short elsewhere.

Ideally, I agree that another CM would not be a bad thing. But we need a GK, a RB, a LB, 1/2 attacking midfielders and possibly a striker before we worry about adding another CM.
  • edited July 2017

If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?

Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

Let's put things into perspective though. If we go into a season with 23 odd senior players (2 each position and a 3rd striker) and then 4/5 promising youngsters as cover, we have to accept that is the best we are going to get as it certainly trumps anything we have had in the past few years.

I don't see the point in having 6 CM's if it's going to leave us short elsewhere.

Ideally, I agree that another CM would not be a bad thing. But we need a GK, a RB, a LB, 1/2 attacking midfielders and possibly a striker before we worry about adding another CM.
    I see what you are saying and agree with your priority order but if we dont get another CM as well then we are in danger of seeing our midfield get overrun, slow and predictable like the last 12 months and also Lapslie, Dikjsteel and Aribo might be playing more games than ideally they are ready for and that has been the classic trade mark of this regime.

If this happens we will see the same problems of last year losing possession no build up play which left us open at the back and slow to attack. Therefore that is why I see another CM who has energy box to box as so important to how our season pans out.

Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

I see what you are saying and agree with your priority order but if we dont get another CM as well then we are in danger of seeing our midfield get overrun, slow and predictable like the last 12 months and also Lapslie, Dikjsteel and Aribo might be playing more games than ideally they are ready for and that has been the classic trade mark of this regime.
    I'm not disagreeing at all. I am just trying to be realistic as life under this lot has left a lot to be desired.

At this moment in time, it's quite frustrating to bid for Josh Wright when other areas of the team need improving a lot more urgently. We don't even have a fit LB and its coming towards the end of July yet we bid for a 5th/6th CM? I don't get it.
  • Sponsored links:

Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

I'm not disagreeing at all. I am just trying to be realistic as life under this lot has left a lot to be desired.

At this moment in time, it's quite frustrating to bid for Josh Wright when other areas of the team need improving a lot more urgently. We don't even have a fit LB and its coming towards the end of July yet we bid for a 5th/6th CM? I don't get it.
    Bidding for one position does not mean others are not being worked on, For example it sounds like LB is all but done.

Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

If this happens we will see the same problems of last year losing possession no build up play which left us open at the back and slow to attack. Therefore that is why I see another CM who has energy box to box as so important to how our season pans out.
    I'm not sure we have one. Aribo doesn't look an energetic box to box player to me. Not sure JFC is that kind of player either, though there are signs he might be able to add goals to his game.

Lapslie - Unproven
    Dikjsteel - Unproven

Bidding for one position does not mean others are not being worked on, For example it sounds like LB is all but done.
    Come on, you know what this lot are like! We will sign Da Silva and Wright, and then the budget will be gone. Leaving us with too many CM's, enough CB's but light everywhere else.

Sorry if I am being pessimistic, but I would prefer we sorted out the positions we needed first.
  • edited July 2017
    There's no guarantee any of them will stay fit. We've gone into season after season excited but knowing we lack depth and utility players.

We need as many as we can get for now but need to make sure of two things.

1. They are top L1 standard
    2. They are not overpriced.
  • Wright was not good enough for us, Scunny or Millwall, so a no from me.
  • No objection to Wright. Even if he doesn't start it adds depth, of which we've not had in recent seasons. There's also no guarantee Kashi will stay fit.

Agreed, it's a massive leap of faith that Kashi after being out for so long will be able to cope with 2 games a week in L1. And JFC doesn't seem the sort of player to go all season without injury
  • expecting a couple of in-comings now before they tell us they have cashed in on Ezri.
  • Wouldn't really give much consideration to Wright.

Robinson has openly said this week its not a position we are looking at.
  • Wouldn't really give much consideration to Wright.

Robinson has openly said this week its not a position we are looking at.

We have made a bid for him, the info is from someone I know at Gillingham and 100% accurate.