Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Valley11 said:

Have a look on the Gillingham forum. Many aren't at all bothered if Wright leaves. Most think last season's goal scoring form- which was boosted by a hat trick of penalties in one game - was a flash in the pan, which is backed up by his career stats.
    I'm not saying he's a bad player, I just don't think he's better or that different to what we've got.

This exactly. Whatever money we have should be spent on a goalscoring striker that will score the 20+ goals pretty much every team that gets promoted has.

I like Josh and he will play his part in a 46 game season but we need someone else....ideally better (our other existing strikers are not the answer).

I expect this is our lowest summer of spending for a number of yrs and with our keeper and left back likely to be loans and the winger we bring in a free in Stewart, there is surely some money to spend on a forward (now so many have gone out).
  • Crusty54 said:

Please can the moderators delete all postings that are not transfer rumours.

Oooooh get you!
  • I know this is probably not the right thread, but............can someone please explain what a No 10 is ??? When I was growing up in the 70's football was an easy game to understand & everyone played 4-4-2, with the "2" being strikers. Yes, they wore no's 9 & 10 but to me they did the same thing - they put the ball into the onion-bag !!

Now I keep reading we need to sign a "no 10" or have players who can do that job - but all I see are 4 players (Mag, Novak, Clarke, Watt) who I deem to be strikers & between them are not prolific enough to score enough goals to get us into the top 6, let alone the top 2. We also have a couple of younger players (KAG & Kennedy) who could fill in, but again, I don't see them getting more than a couple of goals each if they played.

I realise that KR plays 4-4-1-1 or variations of, but surely you still need someone to put the ball into the net. MaG is probably the best out of the ones we have but even then I don't think he'll get much more than a dozen goals all season, Am I being too pessimistic or will this wonder system KR wants to play deliver the goods ?

You're right......this isn't the right thread!
  • If we can't get Reeves (I am starting to not want him anyway based on his holdout) then Josh Wright is probably a modest upgrade. First, he scored more goals last year than Reeves. Second, go to Gillingham fan sites and they pretty much claim he was their best player last year. I'll take Wright over ... nothing.

Is being the best player at Gillingham anything to shout about?
    Well they sold Dack for £750K.
  • It has been a month since our last signing (Fosu - 19th June)

Since then we have seen: a striker leave, who although very frustrating has scored more than 20 goals in a season; A defender leave who was on very high wages for a League 1 player but played in a large percentage of our games last season; and a midfielder who has shown some signs of promise during pre-season and one I feel was never really given a real chance in the team.

We have seen 12 players leave/return to their parent clubs and have signed 3 replacements.

Our squad seemed inadequate and thin on the ground last year, the year before and the year before that - are we going for a new record this year?

Did we throw all of our eggs in one basket with Reeves and now we have nothing else lined up? Much like the long, drawn-out pursuit of Delort, which resulted (perhaps thankfully) in us not signing him or another striker and looking thin upfront. Didn't we also spend ages supposedly after Gradel and end up not signing a similar player when it failed a few seasons ago?

TLDR - we need some signings for our thin squad and fast.

12 outgoings and 3 replacements isn't unusual for most clubs in a summer. Most clubs will clear out the deadwood and bring in players for the first team meaning outgoings always outweigh incomings. While I accept we do need a few positions I don't think the squad is anywhere near as light as it was at Bury last season where we barely had enough players and I believe 6 of the 7 subs provided from the acadamy IIRC.

Once Da Silva is signed i'd say we then only need a GK, RB cover (although not urgent while we have Konsa and Barnes), a winger though Stewart would do as a cheap 4th choice option and another "no.10"

So 5 players needed IMO but i'd say Da Silva, Stewart and a GK are all highly likely to sign. I certainly think we'll be better prepared for Bristol Rovers than we were for Bury albeit with a couple of holes to plug.

• To compare here's the squad in September last year.

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/74698/updated-squad-list-1-september-2016

Given we were looking to play 4-4-2 we lacked a 4th senior striker, a 4th wide midfielder and quality in central midfield (despite on paper having the numbers).

Too many of that squad weren't as good as we hoped, while academy players Hanlan, KAG and Muldoon didn't make an impact.

Can see something similar happening again. We'll probably bring in a GK, Dasilva and Stewart and on paper it'll look like a strong squad. We know what Holmes, Pearce, Magennis etc can do - a lot of it depends what the new signings, Kashi and any u23s are able to add to the team.
  • Sponsored links:

• It has been a month since our last signing (Fosu - 19th June)

Since then we have seen: a striker leave, who although very frustrating has scored more than 20 goals in a season; A defender leave who was on very high wages for a League 1 player but played in a large percentage of our games last season; and a midfielder who has shown some signs of promise during pre-season and one I feel was never really given a real chance in the team.

We have seen 12 players leave/return to their parent clubs and have signed 3 replacements.

Our squad seemed inadequate and thin on the ground last year, the year before and the year before that - are we going for a new record this year?

Did we throw all of our eggs in one basket with Reeves and now we have nothing else lined up? Much like the long, drawn-out pursuit of Delort, which resulted (perhaps thankfully) in us not signing him or another striker and looking thin upfront. Didn't we also spend ages supposedly after Gradel and end up not signing a similar player when it failed a few seasons ago?

12 outgoings and 3 replacements isn't unusual for most clubs in a summer. Most clubs will clear out the deadwood and bring in players for the first team meaning outgoings always outweigh incomings. While I accept we do need a few positions I don't think the squad is anywhere near as light as it was at Bury last season where we barely had enough players and I believe 6 of the 7 subs provided from the acadamy IIRC.

Once Da Silva is signed i'd say we then only need a GK, RB cover (although not urgent while we have Konsa and Barnes), a winger though Stewart would do as a cheap 4th choice option and another "no.10"

So 5 players needed IMO but i'd say Da Silva, Stewart and a GK are all highly likely to sign. I certainly think we'll be better prepared for Bristol Rovers than we were for Bury albeit with a couple of holes to plug.

Who is going to score goals ?
  • That is my worry - we know Holmes will get his share if fit - Magennis should get into double figures 15-16. We probably have to hope that Watt is up for it. We also have to hope Kashi and JFC are up for it. We have to hope that Solly isn't past it. Lot's of hoping there then.
  • edited July 2017
    wmcf123 said:

It has been a month since our last signing (Fosu - 19th June)

Who is going to score goals ?
    All depends who fills that "no.10" role. Within the last week it's had Reeves, Ceballos, JFC, Aribo, Watt, Clarke, Josh Wright all penciled in on here.

I'm not sure we're going to see anyone get 20+ goals but I think KR will be expecting Holmes, Magennis, Marshall and whoever "no.10" is to all pitch in with 10+ goals each with token contributions through the rest of the team.
  • We're going to need around the 70 goal mark, maybe slightly more dependant on our defence. it helps if you have a 20 goal a season striker, but if 4 score an average of 13/14 then that would be fine with 1/2 others chipping in.

At the moment, I would say only Magennis and Holmes can do that, with contributions from JFC, Marshall, Clarke and our other strikers. If we don't sign a striker, then the attacking midfielder would have to be able to score at least 12/13.
  • edited July 2017
    If I was in charge my priorities would be

GK - good enough to start

and LB - has to start as we have no other option at the moment.

Then a 10 - probably to start

and a winger -happy with Stewart at 4th choice or someone like Byrne who can cover RB

Then a striker to challenge Josh and Novak

And if there was time/money left an experienced full back who can cover LB and RB - Chicksen could do this job.
  • Glad we're back on track.
  • If we can't get Reeves (I am starting to not want him anyway based on his holdout) then Josh Wright is probably a modest upgrade. First, he scored more goals last year than Reeves. Second, go to Gillingham fan sites and they pretty much claim he was their best player last year. I'll take Wright over ... nothing.

Is being the best player at Gillingham anything to shout about?
    Is being the best player at Charlton anything to shout about?

• Sponsored links:

• The more I see and read about this Wright rumour, the more I think it could happen. Would be a good signing in my opinion, definitely an upgrade on Crofts and shown last season Wright can score goals too.
  • Sage said:

The more I see and read about this Wright rumour, the more I think it could happen. Would be a good signing in my opinion, definitely an upgrade on Crofts and shown last season Wright can score goals too.

Agree better than Crofts, I'm also thinking there might be that unfinished business mentality that could really see him progress here if given the chance!
  • Sage said:

The more I see and read about this Wright rumour, the more I think it could happen. Would be a good signing in my opinion, definitely an upgrade on Crofts and shown last season Wright can score goals too.

Agree better than Crofts, I'm also thinking there might be that unfinished business mentality that could really see him progress here if given the chance!
    yeah bit like Danny Green!
  • If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?
  • Sage said:

yeah bit like Danny Green!
    Lawrie Wilson done alright...even though he used to be shite..in the end.
  • Sage said:

Waste of a wage for me. GK, LB and a striker are my top wish list.

We have more than enough MF and the young backs can play wide if needed. I know I have said this before, but I firmly believe that you need to buy the best CF you can afford and build the team around him, which is what we did with Killer. You can have all the fancy formations in the world but you need someone to stick it in the net.

Mag is hardly prolific, but I expect this to be his most productive. If he is unable to play I think we could be in trouble. I wish Watt had left instead of Aribo as he is not a striker imo. Oh well.
  • If Wright comes then it's another body in so can't argue with it, the question is surely he'd only leave Gillingham if he was guaranteed to start. Can we promise him that? He's not a number 10, and is he any better than Kashi or JFC to play in the '2' in a 4231 formation?

Robinson says he wants two players off each position so Wright would be competing with the likes of Kashi and JFC.
  • edited July 2017
    Redrobo said:

Sage said:

Waste of a wage for me. GK, LB and a striker are my top wish list.

We have more than enough MF and the young backs can play wide if needed. I know I have said this before, but I firmly believe that you need to buy the best CF you can afford and build the team around him, which is what we did with Killer. You can have all the fancy formations in the world but you need someone to stick it in the net.

Mag is hardly prolific, but I expect this to be his most productive. If he is unable to play I think we could be in trouble. I wish Watt had left instead of Aribo as he is not a striker imo. Oh well.
    Finally a rumour, Aribo is off!

Robinson says he wants two players off each position so Wright would be competing with the likes of Kashi and JFC.
    and Crofts, Aribo, Jackson, Lapslie, Dikjsteel? Thats more like 3 players for that position.