Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Been brought up on the fact that the spine of the team is the most important.

We have (in the way Gobinson plays) only one centre forward and one goalkeeper, desperately need to strengthen these areas as priority.
  • Redhenry said:

He still says 4 players.
    Surely these are a goalie, rb, lb and a striker ?
    If Wright is coming are we playing rush goalie ?

Why do we need a RB? We have Solly, Barnes and Konsa.
    Well KR said he wants one, given how keen he is to play youngsters he must think Barnes isn't ready to be 2nd choice.
  • I simply dont understand the need to shift Ceballos when by keeping him we dont need anymore Midfielders... I dont think we even need to worry about signing Reeves and/or Wright because of the depth we've got in the centre.

Concentrate on using the Teixeira | Ajose | Vetokele freed up money to get a Left-Back in, get that Right-Back as cover for Chris Solly and despite Dillon Phillips now improving from the earlier games we need a damned Goalkeeper!! - I said it a few weeks ago but this season is EXACTLY the same as last, we've signed a handful (three) players who'll get the fans excited and think that change is afoot and now we've started to dither in the Transfer Market and we'll still be waiting for targets to join after the Bristol Rovers game!!

We are still crying out for another box to box midfielder. Kashi gives us still and quality but dont think he brings that box to box player like Wright.
  • I simply dont understand the need to shift Ceballos when by keeping him we dont need anymore Midfielders... I dont think we even need to worry about signing Reeves and/or Wright because of the depth we've got in the centre.

Concentrate on using the Teixeira | Ajose | Vetokele freed up money to get a Left-Back in, get that Right-Back as cover for Chris Solly and despite Dillon Phillips now improving from the earlier games we need a damned Goalkeeper!! - I said it a few weeks ago but this season is EXACTLY the same as last, we've signed a handful (three) players who'll get the fans excited and think that change is afoot and now we've started to dither in the Transfer Market and we'll still be waiting for targets to join after the Bristol Rovers game!!

We are still crying out for another box to box midfielder. Kashi gives us still and quality but dont think he brings that box to box player like Wright.
    Surely JFC is that man?
    One option but what if he gets injured? apart from Kashi centre mid is the same as from when Robinson come in and I felt this area was along with the missing 10 was one of the reason we struggled.

Whenever i think of successful Charlton teams it has been built around a strong energetic centre midfield.
  • Think wright would be good addition. Kashi is injury prone, Aribo is young and will need resting whilst JFC was in and out the team last year. Personally think wright would be better option than crofts although wouldn't add as comedy value to charlton live
  • I think Da Silva will sign in the next day or so and I think it is possible that the Mivi will join us as well - if fit.

I think we have a goal keeper lined up and we are waiting for his club to sign a target before this happens. As always, the top table is served first before the crumbs fall down to us plebs.

Reeves appears to be waiting on an offer and I wonder if the issue is that it is a championship side that he fancies, but the deal is not as good and his agent is trying to reduce the gap. To be fair, it is an important career decision at his age that he needs to get right. He is not established enough to get a relegation clause, so (say) Sheffield Utd are offering less, and then he gets relegated with them, is it the 1st division forever and on less pay? Or do you accept the Daisy offer and hope?
  • http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15419084._He_s_a_player_I_really_like___Charlton_boss_responds_to_Gillingham_star_links/

This is interesting, if it is anymore than a smokescreen it's also admitting that we've given up on Reeves.

KAG as a number ten? who's he kidding?

Josh Wright is also a very different player to Reeves.
  • “Tex has gone to St Truiden – we’re two separate things so that came off my wage bill,” he added.

Hold on, doesn't Roland pretend he doesn't / didn't own STTV?
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/sport/15419084._He_s_a_player_I_really_like___Charlton_boss_responds_to_Gillingham_star_links/

This is interesting, if it is anymore than a smokescreen it's also admitting that we've given up on Reeves.

Good to know after Clarke our options at "no. 10" are moving our best player out of position, a young striker that's struggled at first team level and a young attacking player that is unproven and may be more of a winger.

No mention of Ceballos playing, that surely suggests he's off. Probably one of the "one or two more things" he said need to do before doing more business (https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/27249/charlton-boss-karl-robinson-makes-selection-revelation-admits-naby-sarr-might-back-plans/).

Wasn't long ago KR wanted 2 equally good players per position. Now he's basically saying the key position in the midfield will be covered by whoever might do a job there.

I really hope Clarke is a big success otherwise that position is going to be a problem.
    Yup Ceballos has all but gone based on that article...

Shame because if Sarr has played back into his plans then what was Cristian doing for four games?
    Spot on! If the argument that Sarr has improved the same must be said of Ceballos who has performed better according to most
    Robinson doesn't make the decisions, remember that.

Surely JFC is that man?
    One option but what if he gets injured? apart from Kashi centre mid is the same as from when Robinson come in and I felt this area was along with the missing 10 was one of the reason we struggled.

Whenever i think of successful Charlton teams it has been built around a strong energetic centre midfield.
    Not sure if it's good enough myself but at the moment I'd say Kashi and Crofts are the options as holding midfielders with JFC and Aribo as the box to box CMs.
  • When fit we're looking at:

New keeper

Solly Pearce Bauer new left back

Kashi JFC

Marshall Clarke Holmes

Magennis

Subs: Phillips, Konsa, Aribo, Crofts, Fosu, Watt, Novak

Not sure where Wright fits in if we signed him, and it's plainly clear we need another winger.
  • Scoham said:

I simply dont understand the need to shift Ceballos when by keeping him we dont need anymore Midfielders... I dont think we even need to worry about signing Reeves and/or Wright because of the depth we've got in the centre.

Surely JFC is that man?

Not sure if it's good enough myself but at the moment I'd say Kashi and Crofts are the options as holding midfielders with JFC and Aribo as the box to box CMs.
    Plus Jackson and a couple of the kids. Really don't think CM is a priority at the moment when compared to full backs and wide players given KR's formation. And a GK of course.

The other thing is with the likes of Wright KR will also be looking to improve the squad - so may see him as an upgrade on Crofts and ship Crofts or another out.
  • Da Silva, a GK and a winger, i'd be happy with. If we keep Novak and Watt I can't see Roland sanctioning another striker. Especially as we play 1 up top.
  • Rob Green told he can leave Leeds. Too expensive for us? I imagine he'll get a gig in The Championship or as a Premier League backup somewhere though.

New keeper

Kashi JFC

Marshall Clarke Holmes

Magennis

Not sure where Wright fits in if we signed him, and it's plainly clear we need another winger.

That's a pretty strong team. If the players in it stayed fit - don't laugh - anything other than a top 6 finish would be totally unacceptable
  • “Tex has gone to St Truiden – we’re two separate things so that came off my wage bill,” he added.

That was back when he had two Belgian sides - his girlfriend owned STVV, but since he sold Standard he has taken control of her/it/them.
  • Rob Green told he can leave Leeds. Too expensive for us? I imagine he'll get a gig in The Championship or as a Premier League backup somewhere though.

Probably not worth a flag but if there was a 'dislike' button I'd be hitting it. The perennial disappointment and the John Lewis of the Goalkeeper Union - looks good, likes to be compared to others, is always considered but never really saves you anything.

New keeper

Kashi JFC

Marshall Clarke Holmes

Magennis

That's a pretty strong team. If the players in it stayed fit - don't laugh - anything other than a top 6 finish would be totally unacceptable
    It is pretty strong and if they're all fit you'd have to think that side would be in the top 2, as i can't see too many stronger sides.

However that side is a couple of injuries away from being mid-table nobodies. If any 2-3 from Kashi, Holmes, Marshall and Magennis got injured, we'd struggle big time.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2017

When fit we're looking at:

New keeper

Kashi JFC

Marshall Clarke Holmes

Magennis

For what it's worth you could argue that against tougher opposition or away from home Robinson might opt for something like...

New keeper

Kashi

JFC Wright
    Marshall Holmes

Magennis

With Marshall and Holmes playing wide. That side wouldn't be too bad.
  • I don't think Bauer will be starting. If our goal is promotion then he's not good enough.
  • edited July 2017

J.Steele (Contract ends in 2018)

Solly Pearce Bauer DaSilva

Kashi Crofts

Marshall Clarke Holmes

Magennis

Subs: Phillips, Konsa, Aribo, JFC, Fosu, KAG, Novak

Fosu should be able to play RM as he is a Right footed Left Winger?

Also you can see I have put Steele in, he's gotta be worth a look in to see if he is available?
  • I see the squad as something like this:
    New GK
    Solly, Konsa, Pearce, New LB
    Kashi, JFC
    Marshall, New 10, Holmes
    Magennis

2nd XI:
    Phillips
    Barnes, Bauer, Lennon, Page
    Crofts, Aribo
    Fosu, Clarke, New Winger
    Novak

I don't think we need another RB as we have Konsa, Barnes and Charles-Cook all capable of covering there. If Solly was out, I would start Konsa RB and bring Bauer into the starting team.

I don't get the need for Wright but we have 100% made a bid from him. As a 'DM', we have Kashi, Crofts and then possibly Dijksteel. As the more box to box midfielder, we have JFC, Aribo and then possibly even Jackson or Lapslie. I really think with 4 senior CM's, 1 youngster who broke in last year and then another 2 looking to break in this season, it would be a waste of money signing another one.

The only reason we might want Wright is if we don't sign another number 10, and Aribo backs up Clarke in that position. But again, would be a total waste of time IMO as we should leave Wright, leave Aribo as a CM and keep Ceballos.

GK and LB are clearly the priority. I wouldn't mind another attacking midfielder/winger and thought Stewart would be worth a one year deal.

If we got Martin, Da Silva and Stewart, we wouldn't really be spending a penny and still leaves us to get rid of Sarr. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Watt and bringing in another striker though.

• Pearce to me is the only definite CB. The other position is open, which leaves quite a choice Bauer, Konsa, Sarr (if he stays), Lennon
    New GK
    Kashi, JFC
    Marshall, New 10, Holmes
    Magennis

2nd XI:
    Phillips
    Crofts, Aribo
    Fosu, Clarke, New Winger
    Novak

I don't think we need another RB as we have Konsa, Barnes and Charles-Cook all capable of covering there. If Solly was out, I would start Konsa RB and bring Bauer into the starting team.

I don't get the need for Wright but we have 100% made a bid from him. As a 'DM', we have Kashi, Crofts and then possibly Dijksteel. As the more box to box midfielder, we have JFC, Aribo and then possibly even Jackson or Lapslie. I really think with 4 senior CM's, 1 youngster who broke in last year and then another 2 looking to break in this season, it would be a waste of money signing another one.

The only reason we might want Wright is if we don't sign another number 10, and Aribo backs up Clarke in that position. But again, would be a total waste of time IMO as we should leave Wright, leave Aribo as a CM and keep Ceballos.

GK and LB are clearly the priority. I wouldn't mind another attacking midfielder/winger and thought Stewart would be worth a one year deal.

If we got Martin, Da Silva and Stewart, we wouldn't really be spending a penny and still leaves us to get rid of Sarr. I wouldn't mind getting rid of Watt and bringing in another striker though.

There is actually another reason. We just want to p**s off Gillingham - and Paul Scally in particular - even more.
    New GK
    Kashi, JFC
    Marshall, New 10, Holmes
    Magennis

2nd XI:
    Phillips
    Crofts, Aribo
    Fosu, Clarke, New Winger
    Novak

There is actually another reason. We just want to p**s off Gillingham - and Paul Scally in particular - even more.
    to be fair, it might quite nice for RD and co to piss a club off that's not their own!
  • Pearce to me is the only definite CB. The other position is open, which leaves quite a choice Bauer, Konsa, Sarr (if he stays), Lennon

I agree, but I have always seen a left/right combination meaning either Bauer/Konsa to partner either Pearce/Lennon.

That was while he owned Standard Liege. I believe he subsequently took public control of Sint-Truiden again, although he has since sold a share of it.