Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.

Are there really many cloggers in Div One these days? I don't see too many Barry Kitcheners or Harry Cripps. The refs don't allow it either (I'm sad to say.....)

But I take your point. Ceballos leaves and it's the worst decision ever. Ceballos stays, doesn't get MOM every game so gets labelled by many as a typical lightweight, poorly scouted, expensive foreign import, not suited to Divison One. Almost a no-win situation.
  • It is unrealistic to think this regime has given Robinson a free hand. What he is allowed is restricted by money and by history.
    Robinson would not have said to himself I need a defender or midfielder so I have sourced and am interested in that Sarr bloke or that Kashi bloke. There are also players suggested to KM by Driesen and agents.
    Robinson is operating within an envelope other managers are less restricted by.
  • dickplumb said:

Redhenry said:

If we are getting 3,4 or 5 players in, some have to go.

That is a big if. If Reeves joins us that is a player that is better suited to League one than Ceballos. But if we get someone like Josh Wright that is not an improvement.

I think that three players will come in by the start of the season. A left back- Da Silva. A goalkeeper. A midfielder- Not Reeves, who I reckon will go to Bolton or Sheffield Utd.
    Think he will end up in Bolton. We seemed to be able to compete with Sheffield Utd for terms with Holmes and I think as Reeves is/was our main target we might compete with them again. At least he hasn't signed for them which implies that to me. Bolton are a different beast but again he hasn't signed yet. We must still be in with a shout. Might need to consider that BR might not be a shoe in starter for either of those two clubs but his connection with Robinson means he would be pretty certain of that with us. Still all to play for.

• I don't like knobinson but if he is happy to let cellabos go (who I think has potential and could unlock tight defences) to strengthen, then It's up to knobinson and we can judge him in Jan. My concern is that cellabos is being moved by a higher pay scale than knobinson, regardless of knobinsons needs and wishes. I suspect that cellabos is going to save wages, not free up wages to strengthen. He has probably been told that he doesn't need cellabos or reeves because we have aribo and kag. Why do I think like this, because it's happened every window since Roland has been here
  • Simonsen said:

Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.

Are there really many cloggers in Div One these days? I don't see too many Barry Kitcheners or Harry Cripps. The refs don't allow it either (I'm sad to say.....)

But I take your point. Ceballos leaves and it's the worst decision ever. Ceballos stays, doesn't get MOM every game so gets labelled by many as a typical lightweight, poorly scouted, expensive foreign import, not suited to Divison One. Almost a no-win situation.
    Yes, it's a cliche that L1 is full of cloggers going around hacking down skillful players on mudbaths

Last season most teams I saw had decent pitches, and played it out from the back, most L1 managers see more inspired by Pep than Dave Bassett.
  • Simonsen said:

Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.

Yes, it's a cliche that L1 is full of cloggers going around hacking down skillful players on mudbaths

Last season most teams I saw had decent pitches, and played it out from the back, most L1 managers see more inspired by Pep than Dave Bassett.
    Not convinced. Or at least not convinced that the hurly burly of league one suits either Cellebos' stature or style.

• Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belgium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.

Maybe, but he's lived in London for a while now and might be better settled here. I'm clasping at straws at this point hoping we keep him as I think we're unlikely to get in a player who is a drastic upgrade.
  • Redrobo said:

I wonder what Robinson's story will be when he fails to sign Reeves who he's been openly talking about since January.

Hey, shit happens. He has clearly tried his best and if it does not work out then that's football. There will be no reason to chew him out. We move on.
    Excellently put.

I would add to that that we should be looking within the squad to see if we have others players emerging who could fill that hole--namely Ceballos.

Everything brings me back to Ceballos.

But we missed out on transfer targets before this regime and we'll miss out on them after they've gone. I worry that we don't seem to have moved on to a plan b, but I guess it's fair as Reeves hasn't signed for anyone. But I fear a Louis Thompson scenario from last season where we pursued one player for months and got Ulvestad in at the 11th hour.

If we don't get Reeves I hope we quickly move on to whoever is next on that list, or keep Ceballos, as I really think we're unlikely to find a player with such a big upside willing to play in this league.
  • seth plum said:

It is unrealistic to think this regime has given Robinson a free hand. What he is allowed is restricted by money and by history.
    Robinson would not have said to himself I need a defender or midfielder so I have sourced and am interested in that Sarr bloke or that Kashi bloke. There are also players suggested to KM by Driesen and agents.
    Robinson is operating within an envelope other managers are less restricted by.

To be fair, just about every manager is restricted by money. But you're absolutely right about being restricted by the signings of previous years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Get the replacements sorted then ship out players like Ceballos surely!? I'm not saying he is a world beater but when we ship him off and then fail to get a replace because "teams don't sell to Charlton" or whatever bullshit they make up this time, we will end up 3/4 players short like every bloody year under this lot! So easy to get rid of Ceballos last minute as he is basically just being swapped.
  • Gobby has caused himself most the these problems. He talked up Reeves all through January and hinted he would be signing in the summer. he would have know what he was earning at MKD and how much he would want to sign.

if he doesnt sign now he will look like an idiot however it is spun.
  • Jack Pitt-Brooke (Independent journalist) has said that there is interest from Millwall, Wigan, Bolton and Blackburn to take Mavididi on loan this season, so doubt we'll see him back.
  • dickplumb said:

Redhenry said:

That is a big if. If Reeves joins us that is a player that is better suited to League one than Ceballos. But if we get someone like Josh Wright that is not an improvement.

I think that three players will come in by the start of the season. A left back- Da Silva. A goalkeeper. A midfielder- Not Reeves, who I reckon will go to Bolton or Sheffield Utd.
    Think he will end up in Bolton. We seemed to be able to compete with Sheffield Utd for terms with Holmes and I think as Reeves is/was our main target we might compete with them again. At least he hasn't signed for them which implies that to me. Bolton are a different beast but again he hasn't signed yet. We must still be in with a shout. Might need to consider that BR might not be a shoe in starter for either of those two clubs but his connection with Robinson means he would be pretty certain of that with us. Still all to play for.

It is not just a matter of competing with Sheffield Utd on terms, they are a division above us.

• How much say does KR have in keeping Ceballos, if he left I don' think think it would be a case of just not fancying him.
  • LouisMend said:

I'm sure half these online news outlets just rehash what they read on here

Not in Cawley's case.
    He doesn't even rehash it.
  • Where is Ceddy Evina when you need him?

and Cory Gibbs
  • dizzee said:

Where is Ceddy Evina when you need him?

and Cory Gibbs
    Just need big Kelly Youga back
  • Simonsen said:

Let me think.

I remember a guest footballer on that awful Channel 5 Football League show saying that in his experience, League 1 can often be a more technical, passing game than the Championship. I think his rationale was that Championship players tend to be bigger, stronger athletes - and so the game becomes much more fast and physical.
  • Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belgium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.

He has never played in League 1 for Charlton... he played in the championship. As an attacking player in that league when we had no good / experienced players around him what chance did he have?

I would like to see him as part of the squad and see what he can do. With some decent players around him he could be the sort of player who can make a difference either from the start or from the bench. The step down to League 1 could be exactly what he needs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Isn't it about time we stopped having rumours and make some bloody signings!
  • Defiently something in these rumours!

I agree, unless he's as much of an idiot he shows himself to be there's no other reason to tweet it.
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Redhenry said:

It is not just a matter of competing with Sheffield Utd on terms, they are a division above us.

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Redhenry said:

I realise that but we held on to Holmes when he could have forced a move. Reeves won't be assured of starting in the championship. He will with us. That's as big a factor as League status especially if we match terms.
  • Bring back Nike, all is forgiven.

Am surprised... I always thought Josh would hate Charlton as much as Dack does based on how he left.
  • Stewart said:

Bring back Nike, all is forgiven.

Wrong thread.
    Haha! Thanks for that, I was wondering were it went.

Am surprised... I always thought Josh would hate Charlton as much as Dack does based on how he left.
    He might do but we pay a lot more than the Jills. Didn't he score a ripper a few years back, a volley from way out? He would suit a possession based passing style.