Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Hang on everybody keeps on stating that we haven't got a big enough squad and now we've got to many depth is key and he's another body we have not got !
  • FAVADDICK said:

Hang on everybody keeps on stating that we haven't got a big enough squad and now we've got to many depth is key and he's another body we have not got !

numbers will be irrelevant if we end up with 16 midfielders, 2 strikers, 5 CBs, 1 injured LB and 1 keeper

Leaving us with Jacko at LB and scrambling to get Kiely out of retirement won't be any good!
  • No better than what we have already. Id rather play Kashi & Aribo.

Neither of them will be getting close to 14 goals. Completely different players.
    Josh Wright is hardly a year in year out goalscorer. He mainly scored penalties last season. We've learnt from signing Novak and Ajose that buying someone who got 50% of their goals from the spot during the previous season is no guarantee that they will score goals the next year.
  • Yeah I know what you mean I understand that other positions are a key first like a goalkeeper and a left back but there's people saying we don't need him he's still young and scored 14 goals last season to be truthful I could see him coming in to play number 10 role as reeves ain't coming
  • No better than what we have already. Id rather play Kashi & Aribo.

Neither of them will be getting close to 14 goals. Completely different players.
    Josh Wright is hardly a year in year out goalscorer. He mainly scored penalties last season. We've learnt from signing Novak and Ajose that buying someone who got 50% of their goals from the spot during the previous season is no guarantee that they will score goals the next year.
    Last centre mid we signed who ended scoring 10 goals a season was Jacko, didn't see many people complaining about the pens there. What makes you automatically say you'd rather Kashi and Aribo? Wright gives us a more attacking player who we don't have yet, could even be a Reeves alternative.
  • Wright is more of a Keith Jones style crab that always passes sideways rather than forward through balls. Do you not remember him when we had him before?

Ask any Millwall fan about him as he played for them for a bit too. Trust me he is no number 10 / Ben Reeves. Massive difference in quality. I'd be amazed if Karl brings him in when he always speaks about signing players that will improve the team.
  • edited July 2017

Wright is more of a Keith Jones style crab that always passes sideways rather than forward through balls. Do you not remember him when we had him before?

Ask any Millwall fan about him as he played for them for a bit too. Trust me he is no number 10 / Ben Reeves. Massive difference in quality. I'd be amazed if Karl brings him in when he always speaks about signing players that will improve the team.

He left 8 years ago..... I think we've learnt not to trust our youth judgement back then, Harry Arter being the main example. Either way I think he's something we don't have. Other than Forster-Caskey who hasn't exactly been all that we haven't had a reliable more forward thinking mid, Aribo isn't really shining in that role either.

Forward thinking not necessarily like Reeves btw. More like what Crofts would ideally be, and I'm not sure Kashi will be.
  • Josh more of a box to box midfielder imo, think he could add to the squad for sure. Providing we don't pay a huge fee, think it's a decent signing
  • Scoham said:

Former midfielder Josh Wright linked, he's currently at Gillingham.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/07/17/por-charlton-weigh-up-wright-move/

Surprised to see he's added goals to his game, scored 14 last season - http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=47198&season_id=149

Takes their penalties but a good player for them and their captain I believe. Unfinished business with us that's for sure.
    Hattrick of pens in the last 10 mins of a game against Scunthorpe (who were 2-0 up at the time).

• FAVADDICK said:

Yeah I know what you mean I understand that other positions are a key first like a goalkeeper and a left back but there's people saying we don't need him he's still young and scored 14 goals last season to be truthful I could see him coming in to play number 10 role as reeves ain't coming

I think he had a good season last year and yes scored 14 goals. But most of them were penalties and he is not a number 10. He is a box to box midfielder and we have Aribo and JFC, with Jacko (not box to box with his legs I know, but capable of scoring the odd goal) so I highly doubt we would be looking at someone like Wright.

I agree Reeves is looking more unlikely, but I think Robbo will want to either keep Ceballos and replace him with similar, which would not be Wright.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rather Laplsie or Djiksteel than Wright even RCC. CM an area we don't need bodies. Just need Crofts out of contention.
  • edited July 2017

Wright is more of a Keith Jones style crab that always passes sideways rather than forward through balls. Do you not remember him when we had him before?

He left 8 years ago..... I think we've learnt not to trust our youth judgement back then, Harry Arter being the main example. Either way I think he's something we don't have. Other than Forster-Caskey who hasn't exactly been all that we haven't had a reliable more forward thinking mid, Aribo isn't really shining in that role either.

Forward thinking not necessarily like Reeves btw. More like what Crofts would ideally be, and I'm not sure Kashi will be.
    JFC struggled with injuries, but when he got a run in the side he scored goals. Aribo clearly tired in his first season as a pro, but he's looked very tidy in pre-season thus far. Add to that Crofts, Dijksteel, JJ, RCC, and potentially Lapslie and we have a lot in terms of numbers. What's hard to know is if the younger players, namely Dijksteel and RCC, are ready.

If given the choice knowing there isn't a huge difference, I'd rather we look to promote younger players (we have 3 quality central midfielders already). Josh Wright is from our academy, so I'd sort of make an exception for him.

In a 4-2-3-1 you don't necessarily need a box-to-box player, and sometimes that type of player doesn't fit in the system. Think of Steven Gerrard being moved to the 10 role under Benitez.
  • KR says ""Look, we need another right-back in to cover Sollsy, we need a left-back in, we need a winger and we need a goalscorer"

We've needed that since the end of last season so what's been going on for the past 2.5 months? Now we're less than 3 weeks away from the first league game.

I think the answer to that is our first choice is gettable, he's just been captaining England to the U19 Euros. In many ways it's a good problem to have, and hopefully it means he'll be fitter and match sharp as a result of playing in a tournament.
  • No thanks to Josh Wright. He was ok for our U19s as it was then, but I don't think we need him. I am not being wise after the event but I was shocked when they let Harry Arter go. I thought he was going to be the new Scott Parker. But he lamped one of the players and they decided that his temperament was too big a risk. I was also shocked when Turner was let go.
  • I wonder what Robinson's story will be when he fails to sign Reeves who he's been openly talking about since January.
  • Redrobo said:

I wonder what Robinson's story will be when he fails to sign Reeves who he's been openly talking about since January.

Hey, shit happens. He has clearly tried his best and if it does not work out then that's football. There will be no reason to chew him out. We move on.
    Exactly this.
  • Really think JFC could play the number 10 role is required, that said I would rather we got in a dedicated attacking midfielder
  • Redrobo said:

I wonder what Robinson's story will be when he fails to sign Reeves who he's been openly talking about since January.

Hey, shit happens. He has clearly tried his best and if it does not work out then that's football. There will be no reason to chew him out. We move on.
    To a certain extent yes, but its a position we need strengthening amd if Reeves isn't coming we should have other targets and go and get one of them.
  • Sponsored links:

• From London News online.

Cristian Ceballos could be on the move out of Charlton again this week – with a return to Sint-Truiden on the cards.

The former Tottenham attacker spent the entire 2016-17 campaign with the Belgian club, who are also under the control of Addicks owner Roland Duchatelet.

Sint-Truiden confirmed the signing of Jorge Teixeira over the weekend on a three-year deal.

It is not clear yet whether Ceballos would make a temporary or permanent exit from Charlton.

He was signed on a free transfer after being released by Tottenham in July 2015 but has made just seven appearances for the Addicks.
  • I'm sure half these online news outlets just rehash what they read on here

Not Richard Cawley. I thought that Ceballos having a good pre season would mean that Robinson would keep him. I was wrong.

• I'm sure half these online news outlets just rehash what they read on here

Without the swearing
  • Redrobo said:

To a certain extent yes, but its a position we need strengthening amd if Reeves isn't coming we should have other targets and go and get one of them.
    I totally agree and I am sure that there is a plan b, but not usually as good as plan a, and will probably cost more in this case or we make do. Either way it is hardly Robbos fault. So far I think he has done well with the resources he has had.

The biggest fear is what comprises he will have to make.
  • Might be worth keeping Ceballos until the end of August to see if he can do it in League One as well as part-timers in pre-season.

I dont see any point in this. If assume Robinson has made up his mind and does not want or prefers other options to Ceballos and Sarr and if moving out needs to be done lets get on and do it so we can get Robinsons targets in.

I actually feel this is the right way to go now, let Robinson managed within a budget and if it means shipping out first before anymore come in then good.
  • edited July 2017
    Might need to factor in where Cellabos would prefer to play. In Belgium where he did well last season and I would imagine would feel he would get a start or in the shit league one full of cloggers and where he has managed seven starts for Charlton and unless he pulls up trees every game will be slated by our ever forgiving fans.

Let me think.
  • Redhenry said:

If we are getting 3,4 or 5 players in, some have to go.

That is a big if. If Reeves joins us that is a player that is better suited to League one than Ceballos. But if we get someone like Josh Wright that is not an improvement.

I think that three players will come in by the start of the season. A left back- Da Silva. A goalkeeper. A midfielder- Not Reeves, who I reckon will go to Bolton or Sheffield Utd.