Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• se9addick said:

wmcf123 said:

dickplumb said:

Sarr is now officially the scapegoat. He has played well in pre-Season. But some people are never going to give him a chance. He is a young player and will improve.

Any criticism these days and the "scapegoat" card comes out. Are we meant to just deem every player fantastic ? Nabby Sarr is one of the worst players I've seen in my 25 years of supporting Charlton and it will take several good performances for me to change my view .
    But he's played well against a couple of Irish village teams and Greenwich Borough, how are you not convinced that he's the second coming of Bobby Moore ?
    I think there's middle ground. I have seen him play 3 times, once ok and twice poorly. I don't particular want him around, I think we need 4 CB's which we have in Bauer, Lennon, Pearce and Konsa, so I would offload him. However, he's played better than Bauer so far in pre-season and I am not totally against giving him a chance if Lennon were to leave and he would be 4th choice. Wouldn't want him any higher than that though.
  • Sarr > Harry Lennon. He was never even that bad. Was poor in a poor team.

I've seen him be absolutely dreadful. But I take the point that he was playing in a rotten team. Could he be ok at this level? Maybe. We didn't exactly get a huge sample of data from watching him start a handful of games.

But claiming to know that he's better than Lennon is a bit silly.

I've seen him be absolutely dreadful. But I take the point that he was playing in a rotten team. Could he be ok at this level? Maybe. We didn't exactly get a huge sample of data from watching him start a handful of games.

But claiming to know that he's better than Lennon is a bit silly.
    Lennon's main contribution in every game he's played in has been conceding penalties or getting sent off.
  • The main difference between Sarr and Lennon is that the former is on a long and expensive contract, completely out of kilter with L1 football, and one which few suitors are likely to match.

• Sponsored links:

• The main difference between Sarr and Lennon is that the former is on a long and expensive contract, completely out of kilter with L1 football, and one which few suitors are likely to match.

That's true, but not relevant to the quality of players. I'm just saying that Lennon gets a pass from negativity because he's from the youth system while Sarr gets slagged off constantly just because KM was dumb enough to give him the deal, it's not his fault.

That's true, but not relevant to the quality of players. I'm just saying that Lennon gets a pass from negativity because he's from the youth system while Sarr gets slagged off constantly just because KM was dumb enough to give him the deal, it's not his fault.
    He gets slagged off because he is utter garbage.
  • I do worry that Robinson is a bit 'eggs in one basket'. We've been linked with Martin, no other goalkeepers, Reeves, but no other attacking midfielders, Da Silva, but no other left backs. If these fall through it will be a bit of egg on face. Hopefully there are some deals simmering away in the back ground ala Fosu, but I'm not hopeful.
  • I do worry that Robinson is a bit 'eggs in one basket'. We've been linked with Martin, no other goalkeepers, Reeves, but no other attacking midfielders, Da Silva, but no other left backs. If these fall through it will be a bit of egg on face. Hopefully there are some deals simmering away in the back ground ala Fosu, but I'm not hopeful.

Make your mind up. Are the eggs in the basket or on Robinsons face ?
  • I see the Gary Crofts bashing hasn't stopped!
  • uie2 said:

I see the Gary Crofts bashing hasn't stopped!

Who does he play for?
  • edited July 2017

I do worry that Robinson is a bit 'eggs in one basket'. We've been linked with Martin, no other goalkeepers, Reeves, but no other attacking midfielders, Da Silva, but no other left backs. If these fall through it will be a bit of egg on face. Hopefully there are some deals simmering away in the back ground ala Fosu, but I'm not hopeful.

Make your mind up. Are the eggs in the basket or on Robinsons face ?
    The eggs are probably being cooked now with fried bread ready for Robinson to eat
  • edited July 2017
    In Naby Sarr I've never known a Goalscorer against Crystal Palace get such criticsm, should get slighty amunity considering we'd have lost 4-0 had it not been for him.

Also whilst he was Defender that day it was his fellow Defender; Alou Diarra (World Cup Winner) who was daft enough to give away two pens to the very collapsable Zaha.

If compared to Colchester when he played with Lennon it proves that he needs a commanding Centre-Back to play alongside, seeing that we now have Jason Pearce I'd like to see how the two line up together
  • Sponsored links:

• People saying Sarr is good on the ball and is very technical for a CB. I just don't see it, I've never seen someone miss control the ball so many times. Add on top of that his miss kicks, miss clearances and complete air kicks I was struggling to see if he had any ball control or hand eye coordination at all.

As for Lennon maybe he isn't a cultured ball playing CB but he is a traditional English Centre back. In a similar mould to Michael Morrison, no nonsense and doesn't try anything too fancy on the ball just gets rid. He was very highly rated during his spell at Gills many of my mates whobare regular there blame us recalling him for their slump that season. That was top end league 1. I know Robinson rates him highly. My Gills mates told me there was a rumour he was trying to get him for MK the second half of the season he was at Gills. He is certainly good enough for this level and being left footed is a bonus. If he can get over his injury issue he will be an asset.

Exactly my recollection of his ability 'on the ball'. My memory isn't good enough to remember the opposing team, but I definitely remember a game at the valley where he became an absolute liability due to several underhit passes and miscontrolled touches.

Again, not writing him off, but this idea that he's some sort of cultured footballing CB doesn't ring true.
  • In Naby Sarr I've never known a Goalscorer against Crystal Palace get such criticsm, should get slighty amunity considering we'd have lost 4-0 had it not been for him.

Also whilst he was Defender that day it was his fellow Defender; Alou Diarra (World Cup Winner) who was daft enough to give away two pens to the very collapsable Zaha.

If compared to Colchester when he played with Lennon it proves that he needs a commanding Centre-Back to play alongside, seeing that we now have Jason Pearce I'd like to see how the two line up together

Both left footed, can't see either being completely comfortable playing on the right side.
  • Dr.Kish thinks a keeper is already lined up and the additional 4 players we want are an RB, LB (Da Silva), Winger (Stewart?) and a Striker......which may mean the interest in Reeves has gone (& we'd surely keep Ceballos if that was the case).

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201707&date=20170717&time=0606
  • Dr.Kish thinks a keeper is already lined up and the additional 4 players we want are an RB, LB (Da Silva), Winger (Stewart?) and a Striker......which may mean the interest in Reeves has gone (& we'd surely keep Ceballos if that was the case).

http://www.cafcpicks.com/cgi-bin/drkish/display.pl?month=201707&date=20170717&time=0606

Depends where Robinson sees Ceballos, isnt he actually a Winger himself rather than a No.10 so that could be his replacement.
  • The size of Sarrs' contract is not the lads fault (who would turn down being paid circa 1.5mn € by the age of 26?) but you cannot ignore the expectations that come with it.

As of today Sarr has, or is competing for, the 4th CB slot after Bauer, Pearce & Konsa. His competition is Lennon who is still recovering from injury, with maybe young Bowry, and potentially Cummings looking to progress. Carrying a 5th central defender is not unheard of.

However for either Lennon or Sarr (both are 23) to progress they both need senior game time. Just how much is either let alone both likely to see? Even if Konsa is sold during the season is either a natural fit on the right side of central defence?

Sarr started 13 games for us in 15/16 and 20 games for Red Star in 16/17. Regrettably he was pretty much dropped for the 2nd half of each season.

As of now unless the executive pay off/ write off his contract I doubt his departure will make very much difference financially, with his current profile no one is going to match his current contract - either way we are on the hook until 2020.

The one way it might change is if the lad gets to play senior games on a regular basis to help him progress. As has been said he has a notable youth pedigree and appears to have many of the attributes needed yet has struggled to step up with Sporting, Red Star or us.

I just struggle to see how we are going to be able to give him the senior game time he now needs.

The Cebellos situation is similar.

Cebellos has performed well in preseason against modest opposition. He did well in the final stages of last season with STVV. He is 24. He also needs to play. He deserves a chance but (thankfully for us) we now have several attacking midfield options.

Will he get the nod over Marshall, Holmes, Clarke or possibly Forster-Caskey/ Aribo before you even consider what to do with Watt and/ or Novak all with Fosu, Charles Cook, Ahearne Grant and young Lapsie looking to progress.

Add Reeves and where do they all fit?

Why add Reeves? Simple, he has a proven L1 record of scoring & creating goals, as have Marshall, Holmes & to a degree Clarke. With just Magennis up front in a 4-2-3-1 goals have to come from across the 3 attacking midfield players. It is not an easy call. Do you take a guy with the proven track record if he is on offer, or a risk with the potential of Cebellos, a guy in the last year of his contract? The heart says you would want to give the guy a chance - the head says you go with the guy who has done it before.

As you seek to settle in the new signings do you even have the option of giving him the game time?

Here finances do come into play. CC is on a decent contract. If STVV are prepared to take that over and offer him a new longer deal it is not fairer to let him progress elsewhere? Are we today really in a position to offer him a new extended contract?

I saw a tiny sample of new player Ryan Blumberg on Saturday, so he is one to watch, although he has a very short contract. He occupies a similar status to Cummings and both are interesting prospects.
  • Linked to Scott Golbourne from Bristol City. Bit of an odd one with Karl being very confident of signing DaSilva

• Their source is Kent Live...
  • MarcusH26 said:

Linked to Scott Golbourne from Bristol City. Bit of an odd one with Karl being very confident of signing DaSilva

How long is Lewis Page out for... Or will he be a permanent flop now who'll never get another chance at the club