Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• If Novak goes, I assume KR has someone else he wants to bring in, who can play the lone striker role in his system.
  • I'm perfectly fine with Novak going although as others have said it does expose a lack of cover for Magennis.

Novak was never going to fire us to promotion so if clearing his wages helps KR to bring in Mavididi on loan then it's good business for us.

Mavididi is a completely different type of player, he fits the quick, tricky winger mould. If we dump Novak we would need to bring in a target man type number 9 as back up to Magennis.
    Exactly. Novak is no world beater but he is the only cover we have for Josh in Robinson 's one up front formation.
    Not strictly true - Hanlan and Umerah could probably have a go at doing it.

Mind you, I'm not saying for a minute they would be good enough to do so on a regular basis.
  • I'm perfectly fine with Novak going although as others have said it does expose a lack of cover for Magennis.

Novak was never going to fire us to promotion so if clearing his wages helps KR to bring in Mavididi on loan then it's good business for us.

Mavididi is a completely different type of player, he fits the quick, tricky winger mould. If we dump Novak we would need to bring in a target man type number 9 as back up to Magennis.
    Exactly. Novak is no world beater but he is the only cover we have for Josh in Robinson 's one up front formation.
    Not strictly true - Hanlan and Umerah could probably have a go at doing it.

Mind you, I'm not saying for a minute they would be good enough to do so on a regular basis.
    In a years time I would probably agree with you, but right now I'm not too sure
  • It was interesting that the 'Udders fans told us that Novak may not be a world beater but that he'll always give his all, Leedsbasedtownfan's exact words were actually 'If as I suspect you have a good season, Novak will be part of that and be a firm fans favourite due to his never say die attitude and 100% commitment'. I don't think we saw any of that last season and he looked really disinterested. His injuries, especially the broken hand at Welling, really seemed to disrupt him and he never got a run of games and goals. It's probably best for all parties he gets a clean break and Bury is the sort of club he might flourish at. It's a shame, because I thought he hinted at some real quality on occasion and could have been an asset for us this season as he'd be able to play that lone striker role.
  • He scored a good header against Chesterfield but was below average league one at best! Bury sounds like a decent club for him at this stage of his career.
  • They always leave us short in at least one part of the squad. We do have quite a few strikers at the moment but no one else that is proven as a back-up target man. If Novak goes with KR then want 4-5 or will it be like Slade where more go and the number of signings he says he wants diminishes to nothing?

• Maybe he has not settled in the south?. Could that be part of the problem?.
    No doubt, Henry will know the answer.
  • sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Novak wasn't good enough if you ask me

Fixed it for you.

Where has the Bury rumour come from anyway? Is there substance behind this or is the Bury link just a pure guess of a club that might be able to afford his wages now they're under new owners.
    My writing didnt need fixing thanks, we never saw the best of him as we never played the way we should have done with him.

He is more than good enough to be a squad player for us, please divulge who's available to is that would be much better?
    Fair enough Sam. We don't need to agree and your obviously entitled to your view.

I personally don't rate him as I associate the likes of Novak and Ajose with our huge failure last season. We spent alot of our budget on those two but in my opinion they both disappointed enormously (and I think new starts would be good for both of them).

In response to your question, I'd suggest Rochdale's Calvin Andrew or Rotherham's Clarke-Harris would be better competition for Magennis (and are likely to be obtainable for the same or less salary). Clarke-Harris looked good in the championship a couple of years ago and I expect will do well at this lower level now this season now he's older and has recovered from last year's injuries.

Admittedly though there isn't obvious alternative options out there that have proven high goal scoring records. A replacement would therefore be a bit of a gamble but whoever we went for I'd be suprised if they contributed less than Novak last year. Other than the Chesterfield header I remember nothing from him.
  • sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Novak wasn't good enough if you ask me

Fixed it for you.

Where has the Bury rumour come from anyway? Is there substance behind this or is the Bury link just a pure guess of a club that might be able to afford his wages now they're under new owners.
    My writing didnt need fixing thanks, we never saw the best of him as we never played the way we should have done with him.

He is more than good enough to be a squad player for us, please divulge who's available to is that would be much better?
    Fair enough Sam. We don't need to agree and your obviously entitled to your view.

I personally don't rate him as I associate the likes of Novak and Ajose with our huge failure last season. We spent alot of our budget on those two but in my opinion they both disappointed enormously (and I think new starts would be good for both of them).

In response to your question, I'd suggest Rochdale's Calvin Andrew or Rotherham's Clarke-Harris would be better competition for Magennis (and are likely to be obtainable for the same or less salary). Clarke-Harris looked good in the championship a couple of years ago and I expect will do well at this lower level now this season now he's older and has recovered from last year's injuries.

Admittedly though there isn't obvious alternative options out there that have proven high goal scoring records. A replacement would therefore be a bit of a gamble but whoever we went for I'd be suprised if they contributed less than Novak last year. Other than the Chesterfield header I remember nothing from him.
    If a striker can hold the ball up, has pace, is hard working, decent in the air, can bring others into the game, and score goals regularly - chances are they don't play in League 1 and don't plan on it any time soon either.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sell them all apart from Holmes! ;)
  • uie2 said:

Sell them all apart from Holmes! ;)

I dont think even the scouse tactical genius would consider a 0-0-1-0 formation.
  • Redhenry said:

Good move if we can get Novaks wages completely off the books. He's on about 6k a week. Not sure any other L1 club would pay him that.

Exactly.
  • Redhenry said:

Good move if we can get Novaks wages completely off the books. He's on about 6k a week. Not sure any other L1 club would pay him that.

maybe not but he'd probably accept less with a longer contract or may take a pay off from us to compensate the wage difference. I'd heard the 6k pw was triple what he was on at Chesterfield. No wonder players are eager to sign for such a basket case of a Club.
  • Redhenry said:

18k a week on Tex and Novak yet Kermorgant was offered less than he was already earning after leading us to promotion and the brink of the Championship playoffs. Katrien Meire everyone.
    This has been done to death but if you want to go on with it plse open another thread. Thank you.
  • Well and experienced goalkeeper and Da Silva are an absolute must.
    Anyone else will be a bonus.
    I still think we are desperate to offload a couple to free up wages though.
  • Sponsored links:

All this we need Mavididi, he looked good not great and made 1 great run and now he is seen as the one we need.

Novak was never fit from the start of last season. If he and mavididi were both fit and played the same number of games Lee would get more goals
  • i think Novak got one goal last season.
  • Redhenry said:

i think Novak got one goal last season.

Scored at least two... Away at Fleetwood to make it 2-2 and Chesterfield winner 1-0 at the Valley
  • You just know that if we got rid of Novak, then Magennis will break his leg next game, leaving us with Ajose who can't play in that system.
  • Redhenry said:

maybe not but he'd probably accept less with a longer contract or may take a pay off from us to compensate the wage difference. I'd heard the 6k pw was triple what he was on at Chesterfield. No wonder players are eager to sign for such a basket case of a Club.
    in the regime's defence (how dare me I know), he wasn't a bad signing based on his previous seasons form. I agree that his injured, particularly last pre-season, meant he started the season behind others in terms of fitness and form. Wouldn't be too bothered if he left, nor if he stayed as I think he could do ok.
    I agree to a point but its a classic case of lazy buying and not having any foundations set in place with a consistent either being the manager or a DOF and style like Soton and Swansea.

What we get is someone thinking he is good we will sign him (Novak) he was top scorer last year (Ajose) without any thought to how the next manager wants to play etc.

We have seen this with TD signings based on stats but also factor in the fact that no consideration as we know was given to character etc and the English leagues.
  • Maybe he has not settled in the south?. Could that be part of the problem?.
    No doubt, Henry will know the answer.

Perhaps he's got a touch of the old dale Stephens southitis