Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• I can't see the problem with Tex - he's a decent player & also scores the odd goal from a corner (and not with his head, mainly with his feet) , If we can't sell him to get his wages off the payroll then play him - Him, Bauer, Pearce & Konsa (with lennon in reserve) are a decent set of defenders in this league.

It's just a waste, we don't need 5 CBs and leaving 2 out of Konsa, Pearce, Bauer and Tex every week won't be easy.

I would prefer to have Bauer/Konsa to the right and Lennon/Pearce to the left competing. Allowing Sarr and Tex to leave will help us get a balanced squad.

We all know RD and KM won't allow a quality side of 23/24 if 6 of them are CB's and Tex on a wage of 12k.
    It will be easier if Konsa has been sold.
    true enough, if Konsa goes instead of Tex then I wouldn't actually complaint too much. Tex/Bauer to the right, Pearce/Lennon to the left would do the job.
  • I can't see the problem with Tex - he's a decent player & also scores the odd goal from a corner (and not with his head, mainly with his feet) , If we can't sell him to get his wages off the payroll then play him - Him, Bauer, Pearce & Konsa (with lennon in reserve) are a decent set of defenders in this league.

It's just a waste, we don't need 5 CBs and leaving 2 out of Konsa, Pearce, Bauer and Tex every week won't be easy.

I would prefer to have Bauer/Konsa to the right and Lennon/Pearce to the left competing. Allowing Sarr and Tex to leave will help us get a balanced squad.

We all know RD and KM won't allow a quality side of 23/24 if 6 of them are CB's and Tex on a wage of 12k.
    I'd feel more comfortable having five CBs in the squad letting one of Sarr or Tex go...

That way if we have a situation like last season where someone is out for a long period (referring to Pearce and his injury) we then still have four Defenders to fall back on rather than being left with three and praying we dont lose a second to injury.

Because of that I reckon it would be easier to have Sarr as that additional backup as couldnt see Tex being happy with that deal.

I'd feel more comfortable having five CBs in the squad letting one of Sarr or Tex go...

That way if we have a situation like last season where someone is out for a long period (referring to Pearce and his injury) we then still have four Defenders to fall back on rather than being left with three and praying we dont lose a second to injury.

Because of that I reckon it would be easier to have Sarr as that additional backup as couldnt see Tex being happy with that deal.
    I'm not disagreeing. My thoughts have been on what we have been left with in the past. Under this regime, we have always bought a couple of decent players but the squad has always been left too thin. That coupled with the fact we are in League 1, we have to be realistic.

If we can go into the season with 22 players, back up of each position, with a 3rd choice striker, Jacko and a few youngsters like KAG, I would be very happy.

If we could afford 5 CB's then great, but I would prefer to have Reeves in and 4 CB's, then having 5 and stretching our budget.

I'd sell Konsa depending on what is being offered. He is nowhere near where Gomez was at the same age. I'd consider selling the BFG too as he has been mega accident prone all last season and into this PS.
  • edited July 2017

My understanding is that Tex was headed for the US. Meire couldn't match the per annum salary he would get there, so she offered him a similar total amount but spread over a longer period. Of course, whether the money she was told he could have got elsewhere was accurate or a negotiating ploy we will never know.

Redhenry, £12k a week was a big salary for Charlton to pay in the Championship. Ricardo Fuller got it last time around, but not even Kermorgant did. Some of our best players were on about half that.

If it's true that Tex in League 1 is being paid more than Yann in the Championship that just about sums up this regime in one transaction.

I think Tex is a decent defender too but his value to the team does not come close to Yann in the Championship (or Fuller for that matter) and Yann was allowed to go rather than be offered more dosh.

Wonder what his team mates think of it ?

I assume you know something as you have mentioned/hinted at this a few times?

I assume you know something as you have mentioned/hinted at this a few times?
    So has Bowyer.
  • DaSilva still pinging on the radar as a locked on target. image
  • I am surprised no Championship teams have made an attempt to sign Dasilva on a deal themselves
  • Sponsored links:

• I am surprised no Championship teams have made an attempt to sign Dasilva on a deal themselves

He's still very inexperienced though, only played a handful of games. Size might be an issue too for some teams.

*when

true enough, if Konsa goes instead of Tex then I wouldn't actually complaint too much. Tex/Bauer to the right, Pearce/Lennon to the left would do the job.
    Tex is a good player. I like him. I think the question is whether he is 100 per cent motivated in League One - not suggesting that he is lazy, just that when push comes to shove his heart may not be completely in it.
    It'll be really interesting how Kashi plays this season (leaving aside fitness issues), as he certainly didn't join us to play in L1 either

Tex is a good player. I like him. I think the question is whether he is 100 per cent motivated in League One - not suggesting that he is lazy, just that when push comes to shove his heart may not be completely in it.
    It'll be really interesting how Kashi plays this season (leaving aside fitness issues), as he certainly didn't join us to play in L1 either
    Maybe with Kashi at 29 and having missed most of the past 2 seasons with serious injury, he's just desperate to be playing regularly and prove himself again.

As by January he'll be a vital member of the team and our best player, Roland will sell him while he can still get some sort of transfer fee for him.
    Which, as we'll then be 5 points clear at the top of the table, will totally derail our promotion challenge.

You read it here first!

;o)
  • Quite jealous really, definitely would have had Henry instead of Stewart if he signs.
  • Sage said:

Quite jealous really, definitely would have had Henry instead of Stewart if he signs.
    Difference is Henry will be a definite starter at this level but probably wouldn't get in to our team, while Stewart will probably be happy to be on the bench.
  • Sage said:

Quite jealous really, definitely would have had Henry instead of Stewart if he signs.
    Difference is Henry will be a definite starter at this level but probably wouldn't get in to our team, while Stewart will probably be happy to be on the bench.
    Just prefer to have the quality of Henry when he was available and probably would've chosen us over Oxford.

It's better to have someone like Henry knowing that if Holmes or Marshall wasn't playing, the ability and quality of our midfield wouldn't suffer.

Just making a point that I think he would've been a very good signing for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

I can't see the problem with Tex - he's a decent player & also scores the odd goal from a corner (and not with his head, mainly with his feet) , If we can't sell him to get his wages off the payroll then play him - Him, Bauer, Pearce & Konsa (with lennon in reserve) are a decent set of defenders in this league.

Maybe with Kashi at 29 and having missed most of the past 2 seasons with serious injury, he's just desperate to be playing regularly and prove himself again.

As by January he'll be a vital member of the team and our best player, Roland will sell him while he can still get some sort of transfer fee for him.
    Which, as we'll then be 5 points clear at the top of the table, will totally derail our promotion challenge.

You read it here first!

;o)
    Many a true word spoken in jest

• When we were in the Championship (seems like a decade ago) I recall our interest in Henry. Kenny Jackett was Wolves manager. We put in a couple of bids but Jackett persuaded Henry to sign a new improved contract. Not really blaming Henry - it seems a common practice for players/agents to force the hand of the manager if they're not happy with their wages, or if they aren't getting a regular first team slot - which was the case with Henry. But does that then create a little "bad blood" between the player/agent and Charlton? Maybe that's a factor why Henry landed up at Oxford rather than at Charlton.
  • I'm depressed by the fact that we are shopping in the same market as Oxford to be honest.
  • When we were in the Championship (seems like a decade ago) I recall our interest in Henry. Kenny Jackett was Wolves manager. We put in a couple of bids but Jackett persuaded Henry to sign a new improved contract. Not really blaming Henry - it seems a common practice for players/agents to force the hand of the manager if they're not happy with their wages, or if they aren't getting a regular first team slot - which was the case with Henry. But does that then create a little "bad blood" between the player/agent and Charlton? Maybe that's a factor why Henry landed up at Oxford rather than at Charlton.

Or it could be that we simply didn't want him.

Or it could be that we simply didn't want him.
    You will probably find Henry was on a list of winger targets that we have but lower down than Marshall and Fosu, we got the two men we wanted so we didnt need to sign Henry?
  • Long term Charlton target was desperate to return to London but chose Oxford Utd.

• Are we expecting any more complete and utter bollocks from Tarbuck tonight, "an exciting weekend of signings" maybe?

Would you want him as first choice LB if we were in the Championship having only played 10 games in his professional career?

He needs to play as well. I assume he signed a 3yr deal with Chelsea so maybe out of contract next July and they will want to know if he is worth keeping so I expect that there will be a must play clause or fines in any deal. A division 1 side like us is more likely to be prepared to take the risk to get the player than a Championship club - especially a full back.
  • Long term Charlton target was desperate to return to London but chose Oxford Utd.

i think i read that he wanted to stay in his house near Reading so Oxford would be suitable for that as well.

i think i read that he wanted to stay in his house near Reading so Oxford would be suitable for that as well.

Fair point but I am still coming to terms with the fact that Oxford Utd are seen as preferable to us regardless of their convenient location on the M40 and easy access to the Cotswolds .