Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Hex said:

Personally I think Da Silva's height is an issue. When you consider the general lack of height/power in the rest of the team we will need a really commanding keeper if we are not to be a walkover at corners etc.

Yet people also complained when we had 6ft+ Fox. Ultimately height is almost irrelevant in fullbacks. Look at some of the best of the past 10 years. Lahm, Alba, Alves, Carlos. That's not the area where we should be looking to make up height and Da Silva would definitely be one of it not the best full back in the league.
    Bit early to compare Da Silva with Roberto Carlos!

In all seriousness, I also think its early to say he could be the best in the League, we have had very little to judge on but I certainly think a loan like him is one of the best signings we could make at little cost.
  • Has there been much talk on the potential Martin signing, can't be arsed to trawl back through he pages?

If not, can I be the first to say, I've never seen him play, know nothing about him but he's shite and useless!

Anybody else have any thoughts about him?
  • Has there been much talk on the potential Martin signing, can't be arsed to trawl back through he pages?

If not, can I be the first to say, I've never seen him play, know nothing about him but he's shite and useless!

Anybody else have any thoughts about him?

No, I think you have it covered :smiley:
  • SDAddick said:

Laddick01 said:

I almost hope we don't sign Da Silva, poor lad will be getting pelters if he makes even one mistake.
    Is it a custom to bash our LB's?

Never rated Wiggins. One footed one trick pony.
    Dont even get me started on Chris Powell, god he was awful!! - What became of him anyway?
  • SDAddick said:

Laddick01 said:

I almost hope we don't sign Da Silva, poor lad will be getting pelters if he makes even one mistake.

Dont even get me started on Chris Powell, god he was awful!! - What became of him anyway?
    John Humpries was far too slow, and Mark Reid couldn't take a penalty to save his life.
  • Halix said:

SDAddick said:

Laddick01 said:

John Humpries was far too slow, and Mark Reid couldn't take a penalty to save his life.
    Mark Bowen and Scott Minto as well - 2 of the worst players we've ever had.
  • Da Silva played 90 minutes again for England at the U19 Euro championships last night, is it possible any deal (if there is to be one) won't be done until after the tournament.
  • Da Silva played 90 minutes again for England at the U19 Euro championships last night, is it possible any deal (if there is to be one) won't be done until after the tournament.

That win over Holland saw us pretty much reach the Semi-Finals as well so dont expect him back any time soon.

The tournament is out in Georgia too so not the most local of Countries to wizz a contract out to
  • Star of the show seems to be Sessegnon of Fulham (who's only just turned 17), surprised a prem club hasn't signed him yet
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't need to read the 100 new posts on this thread because I know from the "Bite Sized" thread not having a single post in 4 days means absolutely nothing is happening. Having that thread is such a time saver!!!

You have a lot of faith in @AFKABartram not missing something important. (Of course, if anyone else had started a duplicate thread it would have been unceremoniously shut down without so much as a by your leave.)
  • Star of the show seems to be Sessegnon of Fulham (who's only just turned 17), surprised a prem club hasn't signed him yet

He's just signed a Pro-Contract with Fulham so think he's one of these rare Youngsters who'd prefer to be playing First-Team football in the Championship instead of U21 Football and endless loan deals with Chelsea etc.
    and Crainey signed a new long term deal too despite interest from PL clubs

He's just signed a Pro-Contract with Fulham so think he's one of these rare Youngsters who'd prefer to be playing First-Team football in the Championship instead of U21 Football and endless loan deals with Chelsea etc.
    Very good player. Fancy Fulham for promotion next season.

Star of the show seems to be Sessegnon of Fulham (who's only just turned 17), surprised a prem club hasn't signed him yet

Very good player. Fancy Fulham for promotion next season.
    Very surprised that they've kept hold of him this season - Was one of the best Midfielders in the Championship last season, thought someone like Brighton or Huddersfield might have tried to sign him, even the likes of Sunderland or Aston Villa

Only problem surrounding Fulham and promotion is the fact they dont seem to be using the Transfer Window - Think I read something the other day with Jokanovic issuing an ultimatum saying he'd walk away unless deals started to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

My issue with Da Silva (and it probably sounds pretty minor) in the handful of games I saw him last year was how slow he was to get wide when we won the ball back in our defensive third. Minor I know but it drove me nuts how he never (in the games I saw) got wide quickly to provide an outlet and we often had to go the other way when that wasn't the best option.

He was our best f**king player (give or take a Holmes) in every single game he started ffs
    I'm happy to boo him if Page doesn't start - much easier to scapegoat all left backs next season. Could we please agree on this?
  • Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

My issue with Da Silva (and it probably sounds pretty minor) in the handful of games I saw him last year was how slow he was to get wide when we won the ball back in our defensive third. Minor I know but it drove me nuts how he never (in the games I saw) got wide quickly to provide an outlet and we often had to go the other way when that wasn't the best option.

He was our best f**king player (give or take a Holmes) in every single game he started ffs
    I'm happy to boo him if Page doesn't start - much easier to scapegoat all left backs next season. Could we please agree on this?
    I think we need to learn from our mistakes and move forward.

Lets boo a different position from now on.

• Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

I think we need to be a bit more patient. See how patient i'm being?
  • Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

Can't we just still boo Morgan Fox instead, so that his legacy can live on?
  • edited July 2017
    Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

Any news on strikers coming in? We always go for the strikers that like to hold the ball up or are good in the air. This year would be nice if we went for one that scores goals.

We have plenty of firepower - if the team plays to its potential we'll create chances. Who knows which strikers will find form but we've got 5 or 6 of them

problem is none are proven to score goals for US. Ajose scored loads the season before last but came to us & never really hit the mark and then we loaned him out as he didn't fit our system. Ditto for watt x 2. Novak scored less than our defenders & the new boy Clarke scored 7 playing for a team who finished in the top 6.. I'd prefer it if we actually had someone that had a track record & that you KNEW could score gaols, like a Mendonca, Bent (D) or Killer.
  • edited July 2017

Leuth said:

Ross_cafc said:

I agree. It needs to be the player who starts the season off well. Really shatter his confidence and turn him in to being as shit at the rest of the team.
  • Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

Any news on strikers coming in? We always go for the strikers that like to hold the ball up or are good in the air. This year would be nice if we went for one that scores goals.

We have plenty of firepower - if the team plays to its potential we'll create chances. Who knows which strikers will find form but we've got 5 or 6 of them

problem is none are proven to score goals for US. Ajose scored loads the season before last but came to us & never really hit the mark and then we loaned him out as he didn't fit our system. Ditto for watt x 2. Novak scored less than our defenders & the new boy Clarke scored 7 playing for a team who finished in the top 6.. I'd prefer it if we actually had someone that had a track record & that you KNEW could score gaols, like a Mendonca, Bent (D) or Killer.
    Or maybe someone new will emerge. Maybe it's Karlan's year?
  • Leuth said:

Nicholas said:

problem is those kinds of players are hardly ten a penny at this level. Magennis proved at the start of last season that he can certainly be a potent threat in front of goal. Injury derailed him a bit but there's certainly a goal scorer AND creator in there, particularly if those around him are playing well too.