Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 2017 Summer Transfer Rumours Thread (Deadline Day from page 264)

Comments

• Da Silva is only just 19 and has less than 10 starts in pro football, not a chance he'll feature every week even if he's fit but Page is ok to have as a backup in league one though.

Da Silva is obviously a very talented player with a big future but I have reservations about him playing full back due to his height. Surely his future lies in the midfield or on the wing.
    Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    And Gary Medel, El Pitbull, plays central defender for Chile despite being only 5' 7".
  • cafcfan said:

Da Silva is only just 19 and has less than 10 starts in pro football, not a chance he'll feature every week even if he's fit but Page is ok to have as a backup in league one though.

Da Silva is obviously a very talented player with a big future but I have reservations about him playing full back due to his height. Surely his future lies in the midfield or on the wing.
    Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    And Gary Medel, El Pitbull, plays central defender for Chile despite being only 5' 7".
    And he's bloody brilliant in so, so, so many ways.
  • cafcfan said:

Da Silva is only just 19 and has less than 10 starts in pro football, not a chance he'll feature every week even if he's fit but Page is ok to have as a backup in league one though.

Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    SDAddick said:

cafcfan said:

Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    Was shocked that his only time in the Premier League was with Cardiff City, even more surprised he plays for Inter now.

I thought he played for another minor team now and was gonna express my disbelief that another Premier League team hadnt signed him up
  • Da Silva would possibly lose an ariel battle with Peter Crouch but you take that into account and use strengths not expose weaknesses.
    Da Silva is good for this division in my eyes, although a long sustained tough campaign is something he hasn't experienced yet.
  • cafcfan said:

Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    SDAddick said:

cafcfan said:

Jordi Alba is 5 ft 6
    Was shocked that his only time in the Premier League was with Cardiff City, even more surprised he plays for Inter now.

I thought he played for another minor team now and was gonna express my disbelief that another Premier League team hadnt signed him up
    He played more in central midfield there, which is where he'd played for Sevilla. He plays center half for Chile, as part of that fantastic generation of exceptionally talented, athletic short players who pressed their way to two Copa America wins and a Confed Cup final.
  • Apart from Kashi, I would hope and possibly see Ceballos returning and being able to do a job (maybe).

He was on Spurs' books and has been schooled over here so if we can offer a bit of stability, maybe he can do something in league one
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:

Apart from Kashi, I would hope and possibly see Ceballos returning and being able to do a job (maybe).

He was on Spurs' books and has been schooled over here so if we can offer a bit of stability, maybe he can do something in league one

And he had a full season at STTV so surely should be worth consideration?
  • cabbles said:

Apart from Kashi, I would hope and possibly see Ceballos returning and being able to do a job (maybe).

After a season at STTV, he deserves to be captain, penalty and free kick taker. Maybe even player Manager when Robinson is sacked at the end of August. Just please please please, don't let him take the corners.
  • cabbles said:

After a season at STTV, he deserves to be captain, penalty and free kick taker. Maybe even player Manager when Robinson is sacked at the end of August. Just please please please, don't let him take the corners.
    To be fair he's not the only one to screw up a corner, vis Charlie Adam last season!

• cabbles said:

To be fair he's not the only one to screw up a corner, vis Charlie Adam last season!

That was one corner yet Danny Green spent his entire Charlton career taking crap deliveries after scoring direct early days.
  • SDAddick said:

cabbles said:

Yeah I've long wondered what went SO wrong with him. He looked decent in that Hull game, and broke his foot sticking his foot in making a challenge to stop a cross. But Slade seemingly didn't want to know him. I hope that he, like Sarr and Ajose, are at least given a chance to prove themselves in pre-seasons. I think that even at his best, Ajose doesn't fit the system. But with Ceballos and Sarr I think there is talent to work with.
    Is it not the case that Sarr has an attitude problem?
  • This sounds crazy but ... Surely its worth getting Sarr back to check him out. He's had another years experience, important for a comparative youngster.
    And he would be operating in a lower league - he might just have found his level.

Oh why are those men in white coats knocking on my door!
  • Sponsored links:

• I think Ceballos must be coming back.

I have two reasons:

1) the flat he lives in when at Sint Truiden looks to be pretty ordinary

2) @'Big in Brasov' played a wonderful Ceballos corner in a dads v sons 2 a side on blackheath at the weekend.

The stars are aligned....
  • edited July 2017
    I always said I do think Sarr isn't 'that' bad and had some potential. The fact he didn't set the world alight in the French second tier doesn't bode too well but I'd still give him a go.
  • Well I never realised maintaining the Bite Size thread was going to be so impacting, what with all these comings and goings....

I was just about to post something on that thread when one of those "mod guys" closed it.
  • Personally I think Da Silva's height is an issue. When you consider the general lack of height/power in the rest of the team we will need a really commanding keeper if we are not to be a walkover at corners etc.
  • Hex said:

Personally I think Da Silva's height is an issue. When you consider the general lack of height/power in the rest of the team we will need a really commanding keeper if we are not to be a walkover at corners etc.

very few teams rely on their full backs to be the source of any aerial threat so I don't think his height is an issue at all. I would prefer a full back that can defend, pass and offer a bit going forward than a lump who can defend and make himself be known but a poor footballer.

I do agree though that having the likes of Da Silva means its important to have some power elsewhere, that's where the likes of the CBs and Josh will come in.
  • Hex said:

Personally I think Da Silva's height is an issue. When you consider the general lack of height/power in the rest of the team we will need a really commanding keeper if we are not to be a walkover at corners etc.

Yet people also complained when we had 6ft+ Fox. Ultimately height is almost irrelevant in fullbacks. Look at some of the best of the past 10 years. Lahm, Alba, Alves, Carlos. That's not the area where we should be looking to make up height and Da Silva would definitely be one of it not the best full back in the league.
  • My issue with Da Silva (and it probably sounds pretty minor) in the handful of games I saw him last year was how slow he was to get wide when we won the ball back in our defensive third. Minor I know but it drove me nuts how he never (in the games I saw) got wide quickly to provide an outlet and we often had to go the other way when that wasn't the best option.