Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• clb74 said:

Davo55 said:

Murray has made public statements which have turned out to be false. They are in VOTV. What is the difference between that and lying?

He has to know they are untrue when he makes them for him to be lying. Even the belief they are untrue is largely or entirely based on things people post here under pseudonyms (as I am, but I'm not concealing my identity). I am not criticising anyone, but people need to calm down a bit. Things have moved backwards as well as forwards in this saga. Things that were true or appeared to be true become untrue or turn out not to have been.

dickplumb said:

I think Charlton fans are being lied to by Murray and Duchatelet. We are being played like a fiddle and I am sick of it. The two bids were supposed to be agreed months ago. Now we hear that no bids have been agreed. What the fuck is happening?

Murray has no medium or long-term interest in making statements that turn out not to be true. He would have been better off personally saying nothing at all. Duchatelet is just mad. Even if they were capable of crafting a conspiracy between them, it's hard to see Duchatelet would have expensive lawyers and accountants running around on the clock for months in order to deceive supporters.

But he was (quite rightly) backed into a corner by the threat of the CARD protest - wasn't it meant to be calling for him to talk to the crowd? So I guess he had to say something. He just said enough to stop further protests.
    So are protests at The Valley effective or not effective? I can't keep up. Murray likely wants to void exposing the extent to which he is now regarded as an enemy, probably because he is keen to sell himself as the man the fans trust to new owners. However, you can't explain all of his statements since January 20th on the basis of an aborted protest that day. Indeed, fewer and fewer people believe him anyway.
    I'm not really sure what you mean - but if you are asking me, then yes, I do think they are effective. This announced protest resulted in Murray speaking to the Trust. He had to do something or the protest focus would switch to him rather than RD. Apart from Tone, he is the last man standing.
    That isn't really correct. The Trust had already approached him to see if he would meet us, in the hope of us finding out at least something of what was going on, and to register our concerns about the way the transfer window appeared to be proceeding. As I recall, he had already agreed to do that, and he then became upset that we had asked him for a meet, and at the same time, as part of CARD, we appeared to be organising protests against him. If anything the protest call nearly sabotaged the meeting.

Murray has made public statements which have turned out to be false. They are in VOTV. What is the difference between that and lying?

He has to know they are untrue when he makes them for him to be lying. Even the belief they are untrue is largely or entirely based on things people post here under pseudonyms (as I am, but I'm not concealing my identity). I am not criticising anyone, but people need to calm down a bit. Things have moved backwards as well as forwards in this saga. Things that were true or appeared to be true become untrue or turn out not to have been.

dickplumb said:

I think Charlton fans are being lied to by Murray and Duchatelet. We are being played like a fiddle and I am sick of it. The two bids were supposed to be agreed months ago. Now we hear that no bids have been agreed. What the fuck is happening?

Murray has no medium or long-term interest in making statements that turn out not to be true. He would have been better off personally saying nothing at all. Duchatelet is just mad. Even if they were capable of crafting a conspiracy between them, it's hard to see Duchatelet would have expensive lawyers and accountants running around on the clock for months in order to deceive supporters.

But he was (quite rightly) backed into a corner by the threat of the CARD protest - wasn't it meant to be calling for him to talk to the crowd? So I guess he had to say something. He just said enough to stop further protests.
    So are protests at The Valley effective or not effective? I can't keep up. Murray likely wants to void exposing the extent to which he is now regarded as an enemy, probably because he is keen to sell himself as the man the fans trust to new owners. However, you can't explain all of his statements since January 20th on the basis of an aborted protest that day. Indeed, fewer and fewer people believe him anyway.
    I'm not really sure what you mean - but if you are asking me, then yes, I do think they are effective. This announced protest resulted in Murray speaking to the Trust. He had to do something or the protest focus would switch to him rather than RD. Apart from Tone, he is the last man standing.
    That isn't really correct. The Trust had already approached him to see if he would meet us, in the hope of us finding out at least something of what was going on, and to register our concerns about the way the transfer window appeared to be proceeding. As I recall, he had already agreed to do that, and he then became upset that we had asked him for a meet, and at the same time, as part of CARD, we appeared to be organising protests against him. If anything the protest call nearly sabotaged the meeting.
    If that was true it would amount to strange not to say dishonest behaviour from at least one of the CAST board members involved with CARD and who supported CARD’s position. So I suggest it isn’t.
    Pico said:

I'm afraid my Trust board colleague PragueAddick has got it wrong.

The Trust board had discussed the pros and cons of requesting a meeting with RM but had not approached RM to try to set a meeting up before the CARD statement was issued.

This is an important clarification, and worth piecing together the exchange.

CAST is part of CARD and fully supported the call for a protest, so it would have been strange, to say the least, if that had nearly sabotaged a pre-arranged meeting with Richard Murray.

Thanks to @Pico for clarifying.
    The trust is part of CARD?
    Yes.
    Which is the one @Henry Irving is the leader of? ;)
  • edited April 2018

Is it safe to post yet? There seemed to be some very troubled souls "stalking" this thread.

It appears we all need a few moments tranquility and some "re-girding of loins" as the closing stages of the season and hopefully a takeover saga now resembling War & Peace approaches its end phase. In hindsight we should have asked for a "winter break" on this thread. You could all try Havening Techniques!

There are very few people who could write the sentence "re-girding of loins" and still sound articulate and classy doing so. I doff my cap to you.
  • SDAddick said:

T_C_E said:

clb74 said:

Davo55 said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

If that was true it would amount to strange not to say dishonest behaviour from at least one of the CAST board members involved with CARD and who supported CARD’s position. So I suggest it isn’t.
    Pico said:

The Trust board had discussed the pros and cons of requesting a meeting with RM but had not approached RM to try to set a meeting up before the CARD statement was issued.

CAST is part of CARD and fully supported the call for a protest, so it would have been strange, to say the least, if that had nearly sabotaged a pre-arranged meeting with Richard Murray.

Yes.
    I'm more of a spiritual mentor and inspiration to both. They all accept that Spell It Out in Black and White was the catalyst for every thing that came later.

A bit like me introducing @LoOkOuT to @AFKABartram and telling them that they should work together as the outcome would be a great forum. You know the rest.
    I can't imagine the level of nerdiness it would take two introduce two people IRL and saying "you should start an internet group together."
    Can’t you?
  • edited April 2018
    SDAddick said:

T_C_E said:

Yes.

I'm more of a spiritual mentor and inspiration to both. They all accept that Spell It Out in Black and White was the catalyst for every thing that came later.

A bit like me introducing @LoOkOuT to @AFKABartram and telling them that they should work together as the outcome would be a great forum. You know the rest.
    I can't imagine the level of nerdiness it would take two introduce two people IRL and saying "you should start an internet group together."

But they weren't two internet people, we were in the upstairs room of the pub and both had approached me for help with their Charlton fan community idea (lookie) and a fanzine (AKFA). The solution was obvious and much as they fought it eventually they accepted the logic of what I was saying.

• Which is the one @Henry Irving is the leader of? ;)

Your modesty knows no bounds :smile:

There is hardly any resentment within the CARD elite that I sometimes get the credit for all their hard work when I've never been part of CARD.
  • edited April 2018

SDAddick said:

T_C_E said:

clb74 said:

Davo55 said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Pico said:

Yes.

Can’t you?

I can. I would definitely be the one to do something like that. I'm clearly just jealous of Henry's prescience.
  • Sponsored links:

• If only you could give him a promote eh?
  • Probably still got part of the rib bone hidden inside a 1970’s kit at the museum.
  • I have heard Grapevine posts a lot of sense but I can’t face it all, especially not on this thread

Heard it thorough the grapevine?
  • Is Irving still waffling on?

FFS someone give him a promote or we'll get these narcissistic posts ad infinitum.
  • Pardon my ignorance as a noob but is there a financial aspect to this promote lark or is it purely ceremonial like a knighthood?
  • Pardon my ignorance as a noob but is there a financial aspect to this promote lark or is it purely ceremonial like a knighthood?

Only more TV money.

Only more TV money.
    ...And an extra 5 mill for Roland if it happens this year...?
  • Addickted said:

Is Irving still waffling on?

FFS someone give him a promote or we'll get these narcissistic posts ad infinitum.

Let's not be hasty, they're not like confetti :wink:

• @Henry Irving also introduced Adam to Eve, planted an apple tree in Isaac Newton’s garden, and wrote the lyrics for Chaka Demus & Pliers remix of Twist n Shout.

My biggest shock is he for some reason has let Tim Berners-Lee take full credit for his internet idea...

Sorry, I know how much it annoys you (Lookie never has a problem, go figure) when I remind people about how CL was created but facts are facts.

All your other stuff is untrue but I did write the additional lyrics to Valley Floyd Road. Macca said I was his best co-writer since John.
  • Sponsored links:

• Addickted said:

Is Irving still waffling on?

Please don't, having no promotes is so liberating.

I can wind up AFKA and Bexley Dan as much as I like.
  • Is it safe to post yet? There seemed to be some very troubled souls "stalking" this thread.

It appears we all need a few moments tranquility and some "re-girding of loins" as the closing stages of the season and hopefully a takeover saga now resembling War & Peace approaches its end phase. In hindsight we should have asked for a "winter break" on this thread. You could all try Havening Techniques!

In the real world there has been much to admire over the past 12-14 days. As a result there may still be a journey of consequence to travel over the coming weeks. As Bristol showed it will not be an easy journey.

M.Duchatelet can take credit the club continues to trade enabling the current personnel to have stirred a burst of positivity and to apparently remain in place to guide us on the journey to come.

Most, as I, will exult if the journey reaches a successful conclusion and restores us to the status we held on a certain fateful day in Jan 2014. Such an event in itself will repair some of the damage caused over the past four years.

Whether the structure of the club and its personnel will then be in position to continue as a professional organisation let alone retain such a status we can all review at a more appropriate time.

The meandering ramblings of this thread suggest it has been an all too difficult experience for many. It has certainly been a very expensive one for the club. Though some latter improvement is evident the recent accounts published for the trading year to June 2017, reveal little more than most had already surmised.

When you consider the skeleton executive and reduced squad the operational costs are disappointing. These of course are the numbers which correlate to the club falling to nigh on its lowest League position in living memory.

It is good the overall financial position as at June 2017 had not materially deteriorated from the previous year but it still left the level of debt, originallly absorbed at a level of circa £21mn, at an unprecedented circa £57mn. An increase of £36mn over a 43 month period of trading.

Add in exceptional trading receipts for player sales of circa £21mn and we have, under this administration, had a pro rata per annum funding requirement of circa £16mn.

The loss of match day revenue of circa £2mn p.a. from 2015, the nominal £1mn p.a. interest charge, the sunken costs for the incomplete training ground upgrade all play into it but really it is not just the money you spend but how you spend it and importantly the results you achieve.

Pardon my ignorance as a noob but is there a financial aspect to this promote lark or is it purely ceremonial like a knighthood?

I received £500 for my one and only promote.
    As for others I have no idea.
  • SDAddick said:

Is it safe to post yet? There seemed to be some very troubled souls "stalking" this thread.

There are very few people who could write the sentence "re-girding of loins" and still sound articulate and classy doing so. I doff my cap to you.
    You've obviously never read one of @DaveMehmet posts. ;)

Knighthood? He's already Sir Henry Irving.

Just win matches give him a promote :smile:

• Davo55 said:

dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

Pico said:

Sorry everyone, I completely fouled up with the post referred to.

I am constantly berating other people on other threads to only post contentious stuff if they have the sources to back it up. Had I followed my own advice last night, and just checked back on the relevant email threads to remind myself, I would simply not have posted what I did, and am now going to remove the original post.

Apologies particularly to my fellow Trust and CARD colleagues. I will now spend the rest of the day kicking myself and confining my Charlton Life to the match thread.

Maybe a new hair gilet , PA ?

:wink:
  • edited April 2018

But they weren't two internet people, we were in the upstairs room of the pub and both had approached me for help with their Charlton fan community idea (lookie) and a fanzine (AKFA). The solution was obvious and much as they fought it eventually they accepted the logic of what I was saying.

I think AFKA's & Lookie's timing was right in launching this site - especially after dear old Netaddicks had been almost destroyed by the Two Sheds saga ( who was it he used to fight tooth & nail with?).

I am not sure if old Two Sheds was washed away in the Tsunami prior to, or after the creation of Charlton Life...

• Stig said:

So, when's the fanzine coming out?

QED
  • Stig said:

So, when's the fanzine coming out?

At this rate, before the takeover is completed!
  • Less than 24 hours until the big season ticket announcement (I would've thought). I predict the ST prices and details and general arrangements will be an ill thought through dogs dinner of a mess. It will have the added frisson of every club employee saying 'it's not me guv'.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!