Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• So much discussion about whether or not we should keep Bowyer on or get Kewell in. Meanwhile we've already missed the hopeful Monday completion date and we're rapidly moving past the Wednesday possibility. Until something's confirmed there's a decent chance we're not getting to get any choice over who's in charge or anything else
  • If Kewell has been promised I'm pretty sure Bowyer will know about it and be aware that his stint was only ever going to be a game or two
    If he's happy with that then we supporters should be also
  • Taxi_Lad said:

If Kewell has been promised I'm pretty sure Bowyer will know about it and be aware that his stint was only ever going to be a game or two
    If he's happy with that then we supporters should be also

That would mean that Bowyer knows for sure who the new owners are.
  • Uboat said:

JamesSeed said:

If I was buying Charlton, and assuming I was knowledgeable about the history of the club, I would think twice before unseating an incumbent manager who clearly has the goodwill of the fans behind him.
    If we win two or three games and find ourselves in the playoff places, you’d be taking a big risk if you imposed an outsider on the club. It wouldn’t be fair on the newcomer for a start.

I get that too which is why the new owner has a conundrum to solve.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say there was a takeover today and they said that Bow and JJ would remain until the end of the season and then see. Let's then say we fell away a bit and finished 9th. Would everyone be ok with appointing Kewell then?

Not really given Bow and Jacko much of a chance though has it?
    Someone needs to be brave. Pick a manager with the right qualities and stick with them.
    in fact he may not even know himself.
    Do any of us truly know ourselves? Truly?
    Many people are very deep;

Just like a U-boat.

• PaddyP17 said:

cafc-west said:

On the Crawley FC website it states "Harry Kewell is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year (2017). During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts." Does this mean he is eligible to be a full manager at L1 level?

Yes... Lee Bowyer only has his B License, which someone said allows him to manage within the Football League.

If Kewell or Bowyer want to take us into the Premier League they'll need to have that Pro License
    First off, I don't think a B license allows someone to be a full manager - yes to being an assistant but not a full professional manager.

When it comes to licensing, however, there are exemptions - managers are given the length of time they need to complete their qualifications while still managing, if so necessary.

So Bowyer could complete his A license (allowing management up until the Championship) if in charge, while running the club - this happened with Martin O'Neill back in 2007 (he was allowed three years to complete the course), and with numerous others, when first introduced.
    We've done this to death. Bowyer must have his A licence to be a first team coach. The interview I posted earlier said he had completed his badges back in 2016 indicating that he might actually have a Pro Licence. Anyway, a manager/coach only needs the Pro licence for the Premier League or managing teams in UEFA competitions. (Not sure what would happen then if, say a A licence holder in the Championship won the FA Cup or EFL Cup and qualified for European competitions?)

If you don't believe me, here's the "pyramid of qualifications" from the PFA's web site: https://thepfa.com/coaching/courses/qualifications

It's probably worth mentioning that the term "manager" is rarely used in continental football. The individual looking after the team would usually be called a head coach or something.
  • agim said:

If Kewell was in say Nathan Jones position sitting top of the league with Crawley I think a lot more of us would be in favour of him taking over but he isn't. He hasn't done anything in the managerial game, I know NJ hasn't either but he looks to be going in the right direction.
    It's a shitty time for a takeover (typical Roland) but if it was me I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and tell them you've got 9 games to convince me your the men for the job.

yes but it's not a level playing field as Luton are a bigger Club and Jones has a bigger budget. I'm not saying Kewell is the answer but who knows maybe he is. Relatively he is doing a good job at Crawley just keeping them in League 2.

Is Crawley's budget that small by L2 standards?

This is a club that was well funded as it rose up the leagues, and had 3 seasons in L1. Looking at the table they are behind clubs like Accrington, Exeter, Wycombe and Lincoln
  • edited March 2018
    Was talking to a Watford fan at work and mentioned Kewell. He said he hardly ever won a game whilst looking after the U23's at Watford.

Sign him up.

http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/15224453.Kewell_leaves_Vicarage_Road/
  • edited March 2018

agim said:

If Kewell was in say Nathan Jones position sitting top of the league with Crawley I think a lot more of us would be in favour of him taking over but he isn't. He hasn't done anything in the managerial game, I know NJ hasn't either but he looks to be going in the right direction.
    It's a shitty time for a takeover (typical Roland) but if it was me I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and tell them you've got 9 games to convince me your the men for the job.

yes but it's not a level playing field as Luton are a bigger Club and Jones has a bigger budget. I'm not saying Kewell is the answer but who knows maybe he is. Relatively he is doing a good job at Crawley just keeping them in League 2.

Is Crawley's budget that small by L2 standards?

This is a club that was well funded as it rose up the leagues, and had 3 seasons in L1. Looking at the table they are behind clubs like Accrington, Exeter, Wycombe and Lincoln
    https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-two/startseite/wettbewerb/GB4

Going by TransferMarkt they're where they should be... Accrington on the other hand are massively over achieving

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017%E2%80%9318_EFL_League_Two#Teams

The above also shows they've the third smallest Ground in this Division (Accrington against massively over achieving when you consider it) - Attendance of course being an issue as there will always be a limit to the fan revenue they can bring in
  • edited March 2018
    cafcfan said:

PaddyP17 said:

cafc-west said:

On the Crawley FC website it states "Harry Kewell is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year (2017). During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts." Does this mean he is eligible to be a full manager at L1 level?

Yes... Lee Bowyer only has his B License, which someone said allows him to manage within the Football League.

If Kewell or Bowyer want to take us into the Premier League they'll need to have that Pro License
    First off, I don't think a B license allows someone to be a full manager - yes to being an assistant but not a full professional manager.

When it comes to licensing, however, there are exemptions - managers are given the length of time they need to complete their qualifications while still managing, if so necessary.

So Bowyer could complete his A license (allowing management up until the Championship) if in charge, while running the club - this happened with Martin O'Neill back in 2007 (he was allowed three years to complete the course), and with numerous others, when first introduced.
    We've done this to death. Bowyer must have his A licence to be a first team coach. The interview I posted earlier said he had completed his badges back in 2016 indicating that he might actually have a Pro Licence. Anyway, a manager/coach only needs the Pro licence for the Premier League or managing teams in UEFA competitions. (Not sure what would happen then if, say a A licence holder in the Championship won the FA Cup or EFL Cup and qualified for European competitions?)

If you don't believe me, here's the "pyramid of qualifications" from the PFA's web site: https://thepfa.com/coaching/courses/qualifications

It's probably worth mentioning that the term "manager" is rarely used in continental football. The individual looking after the team would usually be called a head coach or something.
    He doesn’t. He has a B licence but he is allowed to manage in L1 with that because the Football League allows exceptions as long as you are working towards an A licence.

The rules are tighter in the Championship but still allow some flexibility.

I also took it from the PFA site originally but the Football League rules are different.
  • edited March 2018
    Thing is, this is Charlton... One game where we looked 1)Interested, 2)Dangerous, 3)Purposeful and 4)Won easily does not a place in the play offs make.

Now I am sure that Bow and JJ are a million trillion miles better than Tarbucks stunt double, but let's give it a couple of games and see if the trend continues. IF the convicts have got Kewell or anyone else lined up, I am sure that 10 games unbeaten and promotion at the play offs might make them consider their options...
  • Sponsored links:

• robroy said:

Was talking to a Watford fan at work and mentioned Kewell. He said he hardly ever won a game whilst looking after the U23's at Watford.

Sign him up.

Is the Watford Academy that good though?

I know they're owned by the Pozzo Family so get a good few of their players from their Network (which works) yet cant think of too many players who have really come through into their First-Team, Lloyd Doyley one of a few surely?
  • edited March 2018
    Is there any other business on the planet where, a group of investors, after a long protracted due diligence and negotiation phase, buy a business for £40 million (or whatever the figure is), and then seek to appoint into the the singular most important job in that business a person who has virtually zero experience and zero achievements in that role? Duchatelet made this mistake from day 1 and continued making the same mistake throughout his reign. I simply cannot believe the new owners are going to continue taking punts on managers with no track record and simply hope it works out.
  • edited March 2018
    An A Licence minimum is required to be full time manager of any professional side.

If Kewell is working towards his pro licence, he already has the A licence. Bowyer we know to have at least the B licence.

The UEFA Pyramid:

Level 5, UEFA Pro Licence (focus on how to manage)
    A mandatory qualification for managing in the FA Premier League and UEFA competitions.
    Most candidates complete in 12 months

Level 4, UEFA A Licence (focus on phases of play, 9v9 games and 11v11 match play)
    Work as a manager/coach in the professional game, or Academy Manager.
    Most candidates complete within 2 years.

Level 3, UEFA B Licence (focus on functions, phases of play and 8v8 games)
    Find work in Centres of Excellence and Academies.
    You have 2 years, but can usually be completed in 12-18 months

Level 2, Certificate in Coaching Football (focus on how we coach, play, support and the future player)
    Find work in Football in the Community, local authorities, US soccer camps.
    You have 3 years to complete, but it can be achieved in 6 months. PFA members can start their coaching pathway at this tier.

Level 1
    Useful for local community work, and can be completed in a few weeks. Not a mandatory qualification, but a gentle introduction.
  • edited March 2018
    Watching that interview on the "Kent Live" website, HK did say - "What makes me laugh is that, when an Australian consortium goes and buys an English club, you automatically think they're going to get an Australian"

Maybe it's just his choice of words, or maybe he knows that a deal was more or less done last Sunday, regardless if he's been approached or not.
  • robroy said:

Sign him up.

Is the Watford Academy that good though?

I know they're owned by the Pozzo Family so get a good few of their players from their Network (which works) yet cant think of too many players who have really come through into their First-Team, Lloyd Doyley one of a few surely?
    Currently 8th in a ten team development league.
  • Dazzler21 said:

An A Licence minimum is required to be full time manager. If Kewell is working towards his pro licence, he already has the A licence.

The UEFA Pyramid:

Level 5, UEFA Pro Licence (focus on how to manage)
    A mandatory qualification for managing in the FA Premier League and UEFA competitions.
    Most candidates complete in 12 months

Level 4, UEFA A Licence (focus on phases of play, 9v9 games and 11v11 match play)
    Work as a manager/coach in the professional game, or Academy Manager.
    Most candidates complete within 2 years.

Level 3, UEFA B Licence (focus on functions, phases of play and 8v8 games)
    Find work in Centres of Excellence and Academies.
    You have 2 years, but can usually be completed in 12-18 months

Level 2, Certificate in Coaching Football (focus on how we coach, play, support and the future player)
    Find work in Football in the Community, local authorities, US soccer camps.
    You have 3 years to complete, but it can be achieved in 6 months. PFA members can start their coaching pathway at this tier.

Level 1
    Useful for local community work, and can be completed in a few weeks. Not a mandatory qualification, but a gentle introduction.

How did Karel Fraeye get the gig then, having only manged to come 156,386th on Football Manager 2014 on Xbox?
    He got his A licence whilst part of the coaching set up at KAA Gent I believe.
  • Managers

40.1 Subject to Regulation 40.4:

40.1.1 all Managers in the Championship must hold a minimum of the UEFA A Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA Pro-Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.1.2 all Managers in League 1 and League 2 must hold a minimum of the UEFA B Licence and be working towards completing the UEFA A Licence within 3 years of appointment.

40.2 Where a Club is promoted from League One to the Championship and that Club’s Manager does not hold the UEFA A Licence, the Manager shall have until 31st July in the following Season in which to obtain the UEFA A Licence.

40.3 Where a Club appoints a Manager on an interim basis that individual does not need to meet the qualifications set out in Regulation 40.1 above provided always that this dispensation shall not last beyond the end of the Season in which they are appointed. Further, Clubs may not appoint any individual who has already held an interim Manager position at a Club under this Regulation unless and until such time as they have acquired the qualification(s) required under Regulation 40.1.
  • Sponsored links:

• What time is the press conference?
  • Usually Thursday for a start.
  • Expect further delays... And it'll happen sooner than you think. Expect it today and it'll happen later than you think.
  • No sorry his driving force is ego
  • No sorry his driving force is ego

I agree, that's sort of what I meant by reputation. But I don't think he would deliberately be nasty or spiteful. I seriously think that we are so far down his food chain that he doesn't consider us. Yes, ego's a good description.
  • Dizzle said:

Still no chance for the money men to pip them at the post?

nope
  • When there is a void, it has to be filled with speculation. No harm done, Shows we care.

The Adrenaline rush Lee Bowyer got on Saturday would have been the most since he hung up his boots. Just my opinion but I'm certain that he wants the job to the end of the season, and then see what's on offer.

Even you guys that have connections with various groups in the take over process DON'T have access to the mind of Roland Duchatelet.

My fear is that his spite at being slated by the British press and ridiculed by Charlton fans since day 1 for his network and ways of running a football club will result in him being even more obstinate and perverse in the process of selling cafc.
    This is already coming to fruition with this impasse and Duchatelet seemingly playing one suitor against another. Losing one million a month would speed up the proceeding for most entrepreneurs, but our problem is Roland's brain is wired up in a unique way.

This roller coaster still has more ups and downs to come. Hold on tight.

I agree about Bowyer.

However, I don't believe Roland does things out of spite. I don't think he even considers us. His driving force is money and reputation.
    And because of the skilled and innovative protests at the valley and in Belgium his reputation and methods have taken a battering. His reputation is in the gutter any business friends( does he have any ?) Would say jettison this project ASP.
    He and his financial team are trying to recoup the losses plus have a profit. Does he have the acumen to succeed ?
    Don't judge Duchatelet like you would other rich business people; He is spiteful and inarticulate. A dangerous combo.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!