Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• SDAddick said:

Things are never straight forward though and we are all guilty of making new judgements at different points in time. That’s because we are just distant observers to the process.

I suspect there definitely is legs to the Kewell rumours.

Let’s work out some guesswork into chronological order

- they have been on the scene and potentially acquiring for almost 12 months.

- rumour suggest having done their homework they had identified Chris Powell as the right man for when they take charge. Powell probably met their main guy / delegate and had a number of follow up conversations

- This rumbled on far longer than intended. Whether through the Aussies not having finance in place, other parties expressing interest or Roland just messing the process around, who knows.

- in the meantime Powell was probably getting itchy feet. Was kept being reassured ‘soon’ but he was probably losing conviction that soon will ever emerge. In the meantime, the Southend job was put to him. Not his number one hope, but not much further down the list either. League One club in driving distance who he has a great history with. In the end he thought it was too good an opportunity to miss out on with the possibility that the Aussies may not even be successful in acquiring

- The Aussies are now back to square one. They look again at it on who they want to install. Kewell is perceived to be doing well at Crawley, who are not going crazy but definitely outperforming expectations and playing good football with it. Compatriot as well, through Sport Australia there are likely to be some known links so may well be personal history. Kewell has known friendship with Bowyer so there is also probably some discussion / information sharing going on behind the scenes whilst Robinson is manager.

- Aussies speak with Kewell, both agree that if the takeover happens they can work together and a gentleman’s agreement is formed

- in the meantime, like Meire, unexpectedly Robbo ups sticks and walks. This wasn’t planned in the Aussies roadmap. Bowyer, who possibly might have been identified and happy to become Kewell’s Assistant, gets asked to step in for very short-term, hopefully only one game.

- Charlton smash it out the park, Bowyer is now a hero and the next Fergie, and Charlton fans say they don’t want Kewell, they want Bowyer (who was either going to be out the door or the assistant).

So what do the Aussies do if successful? Go back on what they had researched and agreed with Kewell? Based on one result?

The above is based on no knowledge but what I consider a not unreasonable ‘guess scenario’.

Not straight forward is it? Honesty and trust is very important in every business and football is no different

A lot of good points in this, and I suspect you're roughly accurate in terms of how things have played out with the Aussies over the last however long, year or so.

I absolutely agree Bowyer should not be made manager based on one result. It was a good result and a really good, markedly improved performance. And it wasn't done by making huge changes either. Yes the formation changed, but I suspect that apart from Reeves and Fosu, a lot of our players' heat maps wouldn't look too dissimilar to the 4-2-3-1. It was the nature of the performance and the tweaks, particularly in our build up play and off the ball movement that I found so impressive.It felt like we finally played the kind of football that we been trying to play (again) for the last few months. But, again, it is one game.

That said, the thing I keep coming back to is, is Harry Kewell the man to really move us forward? Watford youth team and Crawley in midtable are very different propositions to what we're trying to achieve this season, let alone in the future. And I have the same question about Bowyer,id he's the one we want to trust for 12 gamea. We are not far off the playoffs, and we cannot afford to just write this season off. So the 12 game run in must be considered extremely important, and not be treated as a bedding in process.

I don't have any answers on this, just questions. I would certainly rather someone like Kewell, who is young and learning but who played under one of the best tactician in the modern game, and Rafael Benitez (a David O'Leary joke for the kids). Better that than a lower league journeyman. But we're at a really important impasse, with two games in the next five days, and this is a really difficult decision that potential new owners really need to get right.
    I think the stars were in alignment for Bowyer, as starting Zyro, Dijksteel and Page might not have been something he had planned on, but it worked out so well. Would we have payed so well with Megennis and Solly in the side? No-one could have expected Page to play so well, as he hadn’t played for so long.
  • edited March 2018
    Scoham said:

Time from an actual rumour

Southend you say.Can't believe your all missing the glaringly obvious.
    Roland loves us again and wants things to work out.
    First stop, a meeting with Chris Powell to apologise, say it was all one big mistake.He's seen the light and wants him back for loads of wonga.
    Next stop? DFS to return that bloody sofa.

It's like the morning Scrooge woke up I tell you!!
  • The feeling in my water based on a number of undisclosed online sources of questionable integrity, unrelated to football is that this could still be imminent but not yet a done deal.

I'm not so sure.
  • JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Things are never straight forward though and we are all guilty of making new judgements at different points in time. That’s because we are just distant observers to the process.

- rumour suggest having done their homework they had identified Chris Powell as the right man for when they take charge. Powell probably met their main guy / delegate and had a number of follow up conversations

- This rumbled on far longer than intended. Whether through the Aussies not having finance in place, other parties expressing interest or Roland just messing the process around, who knows.

- in the meantime Powell was probably getting itchy feet. Was kept being reassured ‘soon’ but he was probably losing conviction that soon will ever emerge. In the meantime, the Southend job was put to him. Not his number one hope, but not much further down the list either. League One club in driving distance who he has a great history with. In the end he thought it was too good an opportunity to miss out on with the possibility that the Aussies may not even be successful in acquiring

- The Aussies are now back to square one. They look again at it on who they want to install. Kewell is perceived to be doing well at Crawley, who are not going crazy but definitely outperforming expectations and playing good football with it. Compatriot as well, through Sport Australia there are likely to be some known links so may well be personal history. Kewell has known friendship with Bowyer so there is also probably some discussion / information sharing going on behind the scenes whilst Robinson is manager.

- Aussies speak with Kewell, both agree that if the takeover happens they can work together and a gentleman’s agreement is formed

- in the meantime, like Meire, unexpectedly Robbo ups sticks and walks. This wasn’t planned in the Aussies roadmap. Bowyer, who possibly might have been identified and happy to become Kewell’s Assistant, gets asked to step in for very short-term, hopefully only one game.

- Charlton smash it out the park, Bowyer is now a hero and the next Fergie, and Charlton fans say they don’t want Kewell, they want Bowyer (who was either going to be out the door or the assistant).

So what do the Aussies do if successful? Go back on what they had researched and agreed with Kewell? Based on one result?

The above is based on no knowledge but what I consider a not unreasonable ‘guess scenario’.

Not straight forward is it? Honesty and trust is very important in every business and football is no different

A lot of good points in this, and I suspect you're roughly accurate in terms of how things have played out with the Aussies over the last however long, year or so.

I absolutely agree Bowyer should not be made manager based on one result. It was a good result and a really good, markedly improved performance. And it wasn't done by making huge changes either. Yes the formation changed, but I suspect that apart from Reeves and Fosu, a lot of our players' heat maps wouldn't look too dissimilar to the 4-2-3-1. It was the nature of the performance and the tweaks, particularly in our build up play and off the ball movement that I found so impressive.It felt like we finally played the kind of football that we been trying to play (again) for the last few months. But, again, it is one game.

That said, the thing I keep coming back to is, is Harry Kewell the man to really move us forward? Watford youth team and Crawley in midtable are very different propositions to what we're trying to achieve this season, let alone in the future. And I have the same question about Bowyer,id he's the one we want to trust for 12 gamea. We are not far off the playoffs, and we cannot afford to just write this season off. So the 12 game run in must be considered extremely important, and not be treated as a bedding in process.

I don't have any answers on this, just questions. I would certainly rather someone like Kewell, who is young and learning but who played under one of the best tactician in the modern game, and Rafael Benitez (a David O'Leary joke for the kids). Better that than a lower league journeyman. But we're at a really important impasse, with two games in the next five days, and this is a really difficult decision that potential new owners really need to get right.
    I think the stars were in alignment for Bowyer, as starting Zyro, Dijksteel and Page might not have been something he had planned on, but it worked out so well. Would we have payed so well with Megennis and Solly in the side? No-one could have expected Page to play so well, as he hadn’t played for so long.
    If KR had been in charge you'd be singing his praises for exactly the same thing.
  • edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Agreed, I think Bowyer has come in at a time when players are either getting fit after injury layoffs (Zyro, Ajose, Page) or coming back to fitness (DaSilva, Mav). But over the last few months we'd become so static in attack. Some of that down to injuries, perhaps some of it the players not taking instructions on board, but our plan seemed to be to stretch the pitch in the final third then let Fosu try to do something special. Josh's movement, in no doubt at least partly down to fatigue, had stagnated, and as I've said many times we'd stopped making runs in behind. If everything goes according to plan I think our manager will have better players to choose from in the next few days than Robinson did for quite some time. But I think how those players are used has also been really important. And for me that's not 4-2-3-1 versus 4-4-2, it's about style and patterns of play and movement off the ball.
  • edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

If KR had been in charge you'd be singing his praises for exactly the same thing.
    Except KR would still have forced 4-3-2-1 and probably not started half the players that Bowyer did.
  • JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Except KR would still have forced 4-3-2-1 and probably not started half the players that Bowyer did.
    Exactly
  • edited March 2018

JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

If KR had gotten the fluidity of a performance that we had Saturday, combined with a defensive solidity, then he should have gotten praise. I don't understand why that's controversial. But I think things with him had stagnated for all concerned and he wouldn't have gotten that kind of performance out of players, but I don't think that's to do with 4-2-3-1 as it is to do with how we move and interchange when attacking and then pressure the ball in the middle third.
  • Sponsored links:

Is this is all part of a Belgian remake called Snake On A Plane?
  • cabbles said:

I think we should give Bob Peeters another chance

You know who is free?
  • Over 2 million reviews and fuck all has happened - it has to be some kind of record.
  • EastStand said:

Over 2 million reviews and fuck all has happened - it has to be some kind of record.

Yes but what are your thoughts on the preparation methods of instant ramen?
  • edited March 2018

You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

I know it's only been pointed out a few hundred times, but these Aussie youngster's would not get work permits.

Does it depend how young they come over here? We could sign them and loan out to a European country until they can get work permits.

I believe an owner with a refreshing new take on club ownership has some sort of "network" in Belgium.
  • Gonna be today
  • edited March 2018

Scoham said:

Time from an actual rumour

Why go by plane? He could probably get here quicker on the Eurostar...
    Stopping off to make an apology to SCP on his way.
  • A Roland Private Jet flown by Bob Peeters with Guy Luzon as co pilot. Karel Fraeye, Katrien Meire & Jose Riga Serving the drinks
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018
    Will more be understood before the Friday that is good?

Will we be yawning still waiting on Easter morning?

Will it be a happy Easter or...what rhymes wiith Easter?

Find out next week on Charlton Life.

Charlton Life is sponsored by the ads for heat controlled silk boxer shorts and the letter Y.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Will more be understood before the Friday that is good?

Will we be yawning still waiting on Easter morning?

Will it be a happy Easter or...what rhymes wiith Easter?

Will it be a feast, er, on Easter!
  • iamdan said:

Darren Purse seen in New Eltham Co-op, not sure if linked.

Supermarket or undertakers
  • If you had to donate a quid for every view on this thread, AFKA would be buying the club soon!
  • If it doesn't happen could this thread as a piece of work be the biggest waste of time and effort known to man?

Got to be up there.
  • What, above Hollyoaks?
  • Kewell now 1/10 on for the job.
  • I reckon you could get a great book out of this thread a little bit down the line when Roland is a distant memory.
  • I reckon you could get a great book out of this thread a little bit down the line when Roland is a distant memory.

2,000,000 plus views and still going, at this rate we will have forgotten what the heck we were looking for when eventually the club is sold
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!