Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

If I was buying Charlton, and assuming I was knowledgeable about the history of the club, I would think twice before unseating an incumbent manager who clearly has the goodwill of the fans behind him.
    If we win two or three games and find ourselves in the playoff places, you’d be taking a big risk if you imposed an outsider on the club. It wouldn’t be fair on the newcomer for a start.

True, though even when bringing in someone the fans will accept it's hard. Remember when Parky was sacked and Powell was brought in? We were 5th in League One at the time and despite Powell winning a couple of his opening games, we dropped right out of play-off contention. There were murmurings then of what a mistake we had made, but many were willing to accept a poor finish to the season with the hope that something could be rebuilt during the summer, which of course it was.

Kewell would be far less likely to get the benefit of the doubt from the fans, because he isn't a Charlton man, and many will feel that he was only brought in because of the Australian connection. If the new owners are indeed the Australians, they need to be very careful about this appointment, because with recent history and Duchatelet appointing his fellow countrymen, some fans may not be happy from the outset.

• JamesSeed said:

If I was buying Charlton, and assuming I was knowledgeable about the history of the club, I would think twice before unseating an incumbent manager who clearly has the goodwill of the fans behind him.
    If we win two or three games and find ourselves in the playoff places, you’d be taking a big risk if you imposed an outsider on the club. It wouldn’t be fair on the newcomer for a start.

I get that too which is why the new owner has a conundrum to solve.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say there was a takeover today and they said that Bow and JJ would remain until the end of the season and then see. Let's then say we fell away a bit and finished 9th. Would everyone be ok with appointing Kewell then?

Not really given Bow and Jacko much of a chance though has it?
    Someone needs to be brave. Pick a manager with the right qualities and stick with them.
    Most people seem to be assuming that because Lee Bowyer is currently in charge he wants to continue in charge. I’m not sure that’s necessarily true - in fact he may not even know himself.
    Same as HK, he might be happy at Crawley, but assuming Bow did, I'd sooner stick with him and JJ
  • A cheat of Australians
  • A ball-scratching of Australians (particularly in a cautionary sense when referencing clusters of Australian women at a night club)
  • You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

I know it's only been pointed out a few hundred times, but these Aussie youngster's would not get work permits.
  • I would presume that Kewell was supposed to replace Robinson when/if they takeover,him walking and being replaced by Bowyer/JJ and them winning first game and being popular with supporters gives them a headache now,for me id stick with them till end of season at least,appointing Kewell would be unpopular with a lot of supporters in my opinion.
  • Stig said:

thenewbie said:

It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    It's COULDN'T care less... The only Americanism that makes my blood boil because their way makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The data shows it makes no difference to success as a manager. Neither does whether they were a good footballer or not. Following evidence is not "Americanism"... it is being "rational" and knowing the difference between reality and nonsense.
    Think you just got "whooshed" Napa! "Could care less" is the Americanism referred to...
    I've got to be honest, before this thread I never realised that, 'could care less' was a saying used by anyone. I thought it was just a typo because it makes no sense.
    And I've gotta be honest, the first time I've ever heard of it was in the above post.
    Me too......and I lived in California for 3 years, never heard anyone use that expression.
  • Kewell would be a decent assistant manager, perhaps. If it all went wrong he'd be ready to step in.
    I suppose if Bowyer was Kewell's assistant, the same would apply.
  • edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Nail on the head. If they've been paying any attention to Charlton at all over the last year or two, they'll leave Bowyer and Jackson in place until the end of the season at least. Hopefully with Paul Elliott involved they'll be more sensible than Duchatelet.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018

You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

I know it's only been pointed out a few hundred times, but these Aussie youngster's would not get work permits.
    Does it depend how young they come over here? We could sign them and loan out to a European country until they can get work permits. Or have I just played too much Football Manager?
  • I would presume that Kewell was supposed to replace Robinson when/if they takeover,him walking and being replaced by Bowyer/JJ and them winning first game and being popular with supporters gives them a headache now,for me id stick with them till end of season at least,appointing Kewell would be unpopular with a lot of supporters in my opinion.

Good points. But, if there is anything at all in the Twitter reports, maybe a contract has already been signed by HK...making the situation all a bit strained...
  • To be fair to the Australians they probably had lined up a manager well before Robinson left. Not thinking they would actually have to change it from a popular Charlton man.
  • Things are never straight forward though and we are all guilty of making new judgements at different points in time. That’s because we are just distant observers to the process.

I suspect there definitely is legs to the Kewell rumours.

Let’s work out some guesswork into chronological order

- they have been on the scene and potentially acquiring for almost 12 months.

- rumour suggest having done their homework they had identified Chris Powell as the right man for when they take charge. Powell probably met their main guy / delegate and had a number of follow up conversations

- This rumbled on far longer than intended. Whether through the Aussies not having finance in place, other parties expressing interest or Roland just messing the process around, who knows.

- in the meantime Powell was probably getting itchy feet. Was kept being reassured ‘soon’ but he was probably losing conviction that soon will ever emerge. In the meantime, the Southend job was put to him. Not his number one hope, but not much further down the list either. League One club in driving distance who he has a great history with. In the end he thought it was too good an opportunity to miss out on with the possibility that the Aussies may not even be successful in acquiring

- The Aussies are now back to square one. They look again at it on who they want to install. Kewell is perceived to be doing well at Crawley, who are not going crazy but definitely outperforming expectations and playing good football with it. Compatriot as well, through Sport Australia there are likely to be some known links so may well be personal history. Kewell has known friendship with Bowyer so there is also probably some discussion / information sharing going on behind the scenes whilst Robinson is manager.

- Aussies speak with Kewell, both agree that if the takeover happens they can work together and a gentleman’s agreement is formed

- in the meantime, like Meire, unexpectedly Robbo ups sticks and walks. This wasn’t planned in the Aussies roadmap. Bowyer, who possibly might have been identified and happy to become Kewell’s Assistant, gets asked to step in for very short-term, hopefully only one game.

- Charlton smash it out the park, Bowyer is now a hero and the next Fergie, and Charlton fans say they don’t want Kewell, they want Bowyer (who was either going to be out the door or the assistant).

So what do the Aussies do if successful? Go back on what they had researched and agreed with Kewell? Based on one result?

The above is based on no knowledge but what I consider a not unreasonable ‘guess scenario’.

Not straight forward is it? Honesty and trust is very important in every business and football is no different

exactly how I see things and I think that if the Aussies do take-over we will have a coaching triumvate of Kewell (Manager), Bow (Asst Mgr) and JJ (first team coach). What's not to like?

• JamesSeed said:

I get that too which is why the new owner has a conundrum to solve.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say there was a takeover today and they said that Bow and JJ would remain until the end of the season and then see. Let's then say we fell away a bit and finished 9th. Would everyone be ok with appointing Kewell then?

Not really given Bow and Jacko much of a chance though has it?
    Someone needs to be brave. Pick a manager with the right qualities and stick with them.
    Most people seem to be assuming that because Lee Bowyer is currently in charge he wants to continue in charge. I’m not sure that’s necessarily true - in fact he may not even know himself.

He doesn’t. But he clearly said he wants to carry on at least to the end of the season. Good enough for me and all round if you look at it logically.
  • cafc-west said:

I would presume that Kewell was supposed to replace Robinson when/if they takeover,him walking and being replaced by Bowyer/JJ and them winning first game and being popular with supporters gives them a headache now,for me id stick with them till end of season at least,appointing Kewell would be unpopular with a lot of supporters in my opinion.

Good points. But, if there is anything at all in the Twitter reports, maybe a contract has already been signed by HK...making the situation all a bit strained...
    In which case he's been tapped up.
  • The way this story has developed over the last twelve months I woudn't be completely surprised if Kewell wasn't 'their man'. There seems to be a feedback loop of speculation, much of it being sourced from social media.
  • Sponsored links:

• If Kewell was in say Nathan Jones position sitting top of the league with Crawley I think a lot more of us would be in favour of him taking over but he isn't. He hasn't done anything in the managerial game, I know NJ hasn't either but he looks to be going in the right direction.
    It's a shitty time for a takeover (typical Roland) but if it was me I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and tell them you've got 9 games to convince me your the men for the job.
  • agim said:

If Kewell was in say Nathan Jones position sitting top of the league with Crawley I think a lot more of us would be in favour of him taking over but he isn't. He hasn't done anything in the managerial game, I know NJ hasn't either but he looks to be going in the right direction.
    It's a shitty time for a takeover (typical Roland) but if it was me I'd be inclined to stick with what we've got and tell them you've got 9 games to convince me your the men for the job.

Exactly, everybody wins.
  • On the Crawley FC website it states "Harry Kewell is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year (2017). During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts." Does this mean he is eligible to be a full manager at L1 level?
  • cafc-west said:

On the Crawley FC website it states "Harry Kewell is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year (2017). During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts." Does this mean he is eligible to be a full manager at L1 level?

Yes... Lee Bowyer only has his B License, which someone said allows him to manage within the Football League.

If Kewell or Bowyer want to take us into the Premier League they'll need to have that Pro License
  • agim said:

If Kewell was in say Nathan Jones position sitting top of the league with Crawley I think a lot more of us would be in favour of him taking over but he isn't. He hasn't done anything in the managerial game, I know NJ hasn't either but he looks to be going in the right direction.

yes but it's not a level playing field as Luton are a bigger Club and Jones has a bigger budget. I'm not saying Kewell is the answer but who knows maybe he is. Relatively he is doing a good job at Crawley just keeping them in League 2.

• cafc-west said:

On the Crawley FC website it states "Harry Kewell is currently working on his UEFA Pro License coaching qualification and was in charge of the under-23s at Watford from June 2015 before leaving the club by mutual consent earlier this year (2017). During his time at Vicarage Road, three of the under-23s made their first team debuts." Does this mean he is eligible to be a full manager at L1 level?

Yes... Lee Bowyer only has his B License, which someone said allows him to manage within the Football League.

If Kewell or Bowyer want to take us into the Premier League they'll need to have that Pro License
    First off, I don't think a B license allows someone to be a full manager - yes to being an assistant but not a full professional manager.

When it comes to licensing, however, there are exemptions - managers are given the length of time they need to complete their qualifications while still managing, if so necessary.

So Bowyer could complete his A license (allowing management up until the Championship) if in charge, while running the club - this happened with Martin O'Neill back in 2007 (he was allowed three years to complete the course), and with numerous others, when first introduced.
  • The kings of low quality clickbait. They have a headline, followed by a story which basically amounts to the fact that someone tweeted something.
  • edited March 2018
    When there is a void, it has to be filled with speculation. No harm done, Shows we care.

The Adrenaline rush Lee Bowyer got on Saturday would have been the most since he hung up his boots. Just my opinion but I'm certain that he wants the job to the end of the season, and then see what's on offer.

Even you guys that have connections with various groups in the take over process DON'T have access to the mind of Roland Duchatelet.

My fear is that his spite at being slated by the British press and ridiculed by Charlton fans since day 1 for his network and ways of running a football club will result in him being even more obstinate and perverse in the process of selling cafc.
    This is already coming to fruition with this impasse and Duchatelet seemingly playing one suitor against another. Losing one million a month would speed up the proceeding for most entrepreneurs, but our problem is Roland's brain is wired up in a unique way.

This roller coaster still has more ups and downs to come. Hold on tight.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!