Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

Is that a new collective noun? A smuttering of Australians? - it works. Although fair is not an appropriate term to use in relation to Ozzie’s at the moment.

Also I think quantities of distance is more to do with a matter of fact than opinion.
  • Stig said:

I’d be hugely disappointed if Kewell came in as Manager. Superficially it would seem that he’s only being appointed because he’s an Aussie.

I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football.

Who is really a better option anyway? I know that LB and JJ are riding high in the opinion polls this week, and rightly so after the weekend, but their experience of management is limited to one week. Frankly, I'd expect any incoming owners to have a bit more of a plan about them than to choose a manager on the basis of one match.

I've nothing against Bowyer. If I was the incumbent owner (and I don't mean Two Shats - the thought of being him makes me sick) I'd stick with him until the end of the season at least. I'd expect different from new owners though and honestly can't see any reason to be disappointed if their new man was Kewell.
    1) Kewell has NO experience at this level. He has only managed at League 2.

2) Our most successful manager of recent years was appointed with exactly the same record as Bowyer has now. One game, one win, as caretaker manager. I refer to Chris Powell.

I have nothing against Kewell, but your arguments don't stack up.
    This point never makes sense to me, how is someone suppose to get experience at a certain level if owners should only recruit people who’ve experience at that certain level.
    Basically your only choice is to rotate between Hughes / Pardew / Pulis / Allerdyce
  • Chizz said:

DOUCHER said:

The club needs uniting and it needs to regain its identity and spirit and get some momentum back. I'm not sure kewell would give us that but anybody who gets the team winning probably would to an extent I guess. The ideal way would be to get some club men back at the helm. Bowyer and jj have been a good step in that direction but the icing on the cake would surely be for the likes of curbs and peacock to come into the set up in some way as well. If I was the new owner I would have been onto curbs before I even considered bidding - what a buzz that would create

Curbishley and Powell have been out of the game too long, although I do agree with your post.

A management team with strong Charlton connections would be a great start to galvanising the fans and club again. This is badly needed after being torn apart over the past 4 1/2 years.
    That will come as a shock to many Southend fans.
    I got the 'P' right!
  • DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

The club needs uniting and it needs to regain its identity and spirit and get some momentum back. I'm not sure kewell would give us that but anybody who gets the team winning probably would to an extent I guess. The ideal way would be to get some club men back at the helm. Bowyer and jj have been a good step in that direction but the icing on the cake would surely be for the likes of curbs and peacock to come into the set up in some way as well. If I was the new owner I would have been onto curbs before I even considered bidding - what a buzz that would create

Curbishley and Powell have been out of the game too long, although I do agree with your post.

A management team with strong Charlton connections would be a great start to galvanising the fans and club again. This is badly needed after being torn apart over the past 4 1/2 years.
    Fair point but I think peacock had been out of the game for quite a while when curbs had him in as part of his coaching team - a mentor type role
    At least somebody knew who I was referring to instead of going for the cheap like/lol count!
  • The biggest problem we have as supporters at this time is, were all very on edge, by that I mean we have become so used to the drivel served up by both Meire and Roland, that were questioning every rumour and snippet we read or hear about on new owners.
    We all have opinions, but perhaps it's worth thinking now about what we would like to see happen in supporter relations with the new owners, and how we could help build our great club back up again, over 4 and a half years the club has lost so many good people, some of which have had so much influence in the effectiveness of the CARD campaign, dont let us lose them.
  • Stig said:

I’d be hugely disappointed if Kewell came in as Manager. Superficially it would seem that he’s only being appointed because he’s an Aussie.

I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football.

Who is really a better option anyway? I know that LB and JJ are riding high in the opinion polls this week, and rightly so after the weekend, but their experience of management is limited to one week. Frankly, I'd expect any incoming owners to have a bit more of a plan about them than to choose a manager on the basis of one match.

I've nothing against Bowyer. If I was the incumbent owner (and I don't mean Two Shats - the thought of being him makes me sick) I'd stick with him until the end of the season at least. I'd expect different from new owners though and honestly can't see any reason to be disappointed if their new man was Kewell.

2) Our most successful manager of recent years was appointed with exactly the same record as Bowyer has now. One game, one win, as caretaker manager. I refer to Chris Powell.

This point never makes sense to me, how is someone suppose to get experience at a certain level if owners should only recruit people who’ve experience at that certain level.
    Basically your only choice is to rotate between Hughes / Pardew / Pulis / Allerdyce
    That is the exact opposite of my point.
  • You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

So the only reason Keeell May get the gig is because he is Australian and NOT necessarily because he is best man for the job? It makes no more sense than any of RDs appointments. I suppose we may also replace the Red Robin with Waltzing Matilda, a new Club Crest with a Koala on it and/or our junior coaches with Aussies?

Read their statement. It's not hard to assume that they want to put an Australian stamp on whichever club they get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Imo the harry kewell rumours are like the Dennis wise ones, just people putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

Would much prefer bow and jacko til end of season and then grab Powell over the summer.

There's more to this one.
  • Redhenry said:

Imo the harry kewell rumours are like the Dennis wise ones, just people putting 2 and 2 together to make 5.

Would much prefer bow and jacko til end of season and then grab Powell over the summer.

There's more to this one.
    Any idea on timings RH?

• Stig said:

Read the original poster's comment.

"I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football."

As I said, he has NO experience at this level. We are in League 1, he has NO management experience in League 1...
    Ah if you were merely stating the fact that he has no experience at this level rather than using it as a point NOT to appoint him then I retract my response.
  • Still no chance for the money men to pip them at the post?
  • DOUCHER said:

DOUCHER said:

Fair point but I think peacock had been out of the game for quite a while when curbs had him in as part of his coaching team - a mentor type role
    At least somebody knew who I was referring to instead of going for the cheap like/lol count!
    Oh Peacock. I thought you were talking about Colin Powell. Managing Margate is about the right level of experience under Roland.
  • Stig said:

Read the original poster's comment.

"I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football."

As I said, he has NO experience at this level. We are in League 1, he has NO management experience in League 1...
    Ah if you were merely stating the fact that he has no experience at this level rather than using it as a point NOT to appoint him then I retract my response.
    That's correct. Lee Bowyer, with one game, has more experience at managing at League 1, than Kewell has.

I have no problem if Kewell is appointed manager. That would be the new owner's prerogative. But, the arguments that Stig used, don't stack up...
  • JamesSeed said:

If I was buying Charlton, and assuming I was knowledgeable about the history of the club, I would think twice before unseating an incumbent manager who clearly has the goodwill of the fans behind him.
    If we win two or three games and find ourselves in the playoff places, you’d be taking a big risk if you imposed an outsider on the club. It wouldn’t be fair on the newcomer for a start.

My thoughts exactly on the Bowyer/Kewell debate.
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    It's COULDN'T care less... The only Americanism that makes my blood boil because their way makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The data shows it makes no difference to success as a manager. Neither does whether they were a good footballer or not. Following evidence is not "Americanism"... it is being "rational" and knowing the difference between reality and nonsense.
    Duche is busily providing new data..
  • I don't get the scepticism over Kewell. He's got more managerial experience than Bowyer, who most would seem to accept, although to be fair Bowyer has more experience in running a fishing lake in France. If Kewell was British this discussion wouldn't be happening. I've no idea if Kewell is the right man for the job but then again I've no idea if Bowyer is. If Kewell gets the job I'm prepared to accept it. I'd rather him than a has been like Robinson, Slade etc.

At the end of the day, experience differs, whoever you get in (Slade was "experience"). But re. HK; I'm not sceptical about him, I just think Bow and JJ could turn out to be an effective partnerships. I also fear for both of their CAFC futures, if they are overlooked.

If roles were reversed and it was HK who had played for the club and been behind the scenes for the last couple of years, I'd be saying the same as, at this stage in both of their managerial careers, there can't be a lot in it
  • If there are people with experience of football at the top of the club, they're not going to take getting league time for some Aussie youngsters over success on the pitch. Not to mention they will struggle with work permits, something that RD didn't have to consider (with one very notable management exception). I very much doubt they'd employ their choice of manager and then tell them who to pick or what formation to choose either. If they did, it would be an Aussie no mark, not a guy that has been working in England longer than some posters have been alive!*

*this may not be quite right, can't be arsed to check but it must be close
  • edited March 2018
    JamesSeed said:

If I was buying Charlton, and assuming I was knowledgeable about the history of the club, I would think twice before unseating an incumbent manager who clearly has the goodwill of the fans behind him.
    If we win two or three games and find ourselves in the playoff places, you’d be taking a big risk if you imposed an outsider on the club. It wouldn’t be fair on the newcomer for a start.

I get that too which is why the new owner has a conundrum to solve.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say there was a takeover today and they said that Bow and JJ would remain until the end of the season and then see. Let's then say we fell away a bit and finished 9th. Would everyone be ok with appointing Kewell then?

• JamesSeed said:

I get that too which is why the new owner has a conundrum to solve.

Playing devil's advocate for a minute. Let's say there was a takeover today and they said that Bow and JJ would remain until the end of the season and then see. Let's then say we fell away a bit and finished 9th. Would everyone be ok with appointing Kewell then?

Not really given Bow and Jacko much of a chance though has it?
    Someone needs to be brave. Pick a manager with the right qualities and stick with them.
  • He might be our new gaffer tape.

I'm assuming you lost your wifi connection before you could finish your sentence so I've helpfully done it for you.
  • How do you nobble a mitre football?

Pass it to a Charlton player.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!