Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Curb_It said:

Just as well the houses are cheap, I'd have to take a 80% pay cut if I worked anywhere other than our Capital.

Not always true. I got a 25% pay rise when I moved from working in central London to Leeds. Cost of living is a lot cheaper too. So many myths about living and working outside of London.
    That 25% was a compensation increase.
  • Harry Lime Theme-Anton Kadao
  • "You dirty old man..." Harry H Corbett [Steptoe and Son].
  • Rudders22 said:

Ignore that attention seeking twat

I don’t mind @i_b_b_o_r_g to be fair.
  • Rudders22 said:

Ignore that attention seeking twat

I don’t mind @i_b_b_o_r_g to be fair.
    I was waiting for that ; )
  • edited March 2018
    Solidgone said:

"You dirty old man..." Harry H Corbett [Steptoe and Son].

Steptoe is basically ElfsborgAddick in 10 years time.
  • Keeping things on thread famous quotes on the takeover:
    "Get that takeover sorted Butler" Peter Varney
    "Can you see what it is yet" Aussie consortium
    "Are we nearly there yet dad" Charlton lifers
    "Nein" German horse
    "Ding" Pot Noodles
  • As mentioned earlier, fake profile. Here is a link to the photo he is using, second one down.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/alcohol-abuse-concern-over-middle-aged-1876977
    Flag Quote · Like LOL

Cheers Guys.... I`ll head your words
  • Solidgone said:

F*** right off Dicky.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:

F*** right off Dicky.
    Yeah you tell him, 5years MAX...
  • edited March 2018
    The Film:
    When Harry met Solly.

• With our luck we'll end up with Hare Krishna ....
  • You can't Harry love
  • "Hurry up Harry come on"
  • Many more pages of this nonsense and I'll commit Hari Kari.
  • Being suggested Kewell has said goodbye to his players, and the takeover and announcement he is the Manager is tomorrow..... Wynn Grant: Social media reports are stating that Crawley Town manager Harry Kewell has said his goodbyes to his players this morning as he is set to leave the club and be announced as Charlton manager this Thursday. Charlton are set to be taken over on Wednesday and the new owners believe Kewell is the man for the job.

I have no independent confirmation of these reports. I would like to have seen Bowyer given more of a 'fair go' at the task of management.
  • Sponsored links:

• Mal said:

Being suggested Kewell has said goodbye to his players, and the takeover and announcement he is the Manager is tomorrow..... Wynn Grant: Social media reports are stating that Crawley Town manager Harry Kewell has said his goodbyes to his players this morning as he is set to leave the club and be announced as Charlton manager this Thursday. Charlton are set to be taken over on Wednesday and the new owners believe Kewell is the man for the job.

I have no independent confirmation of these reports. I would like to have seen Bowyer given more of a 'fair go' at the task of management.

That's clearly just based on that fake journalist account. If it turns out to be true it'll be a coincidence.
  • @mal and others

KEWELL DID NOT SO GOODBYE TO PLAYERS. THIS WAS A FALSE STORY PUT OUT BY A FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT

Whoever did that is such a loser
  • What no take over yet? Shock horror
  • @mal and others

KEWELL DID NOT SO GOODBYE TO PLAYERS. THIS WAS A FALSE STORY PUT OUT BY A FAKE TWITTER ACCOUNT

I Just said it was being suggested, I didnt say I believed it, I copied it from the Forever Charlton site from Wyn Grants post.
  • edited March 2018

It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    Apologies for off topic but I am not sure if that is true for us though...

I have been going since 1982, in that time we have had 18 managers. Discounting those who lasted less than a month (ie caretakers) that number is 14.

Now, the next bit is subjective I accept but I also suspect most would broadly agree with me on most (and likely all the ex players):

Unquestionable successes
    Lawrence
    Curbs (ex player)
    Powell (ex player)

Decent Efforts
    Gritt (ex player)
    Riga
    Parkinson
    Robinson
    Peeters

Bad
    Pardew (ex player)
    Fraeye
    Luzon
    Slade
    Dowie
    Reed

This suggests ex players have served us statistically well as managers.

Further, the state the club is in then bringing it all together would potentially be easier under a respected coach. We ain’t going to get a proven top one in League One so an ex player is likely the next best thing.

The fans are likely to give them more time and support - that is just a human emotion.

That Cardiff home match under Powell a case in point; I suspect if he was not a very very popular character in charge the crowd may have been less likely to stay onside.
  • B

It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    Apologies for off topic but I am not sure if that is true for us though...

I have been going since 1982, in that time we have had 18 managers. Discounting those who lasted less than a month (ie caretakers) that number is 14.

Now, the next bit is subjective I accept but I also suspect most would broadly agree with me on most (and likely all the ex players):

Unquestionable successes
    Lawrence
    Curbs (ex player)
    Powell (ex player)

Decent Efforts
    Gritt (ex player)
    Riga
    Parkinson
    Robinson
    Peeters

Bad
    Pardew (ex player)
    Fraeye
    Luzon
    Slade
    Dowie
    Reed

This suggests ex players have served us statistically well as managers.

Further, the state the club is in then bringing it all together would potentially be easier under a respected coach. We ain’t going to get a proven top one in League One so an ex player is likely the next best thing.

The fans are likely to give them more time and support - that is just a human emotion.

That Cardiff home match under Powell a case in point; I suspect if he was not a very very popular character in charge the crowd may have been less likely to stay onside.
    I know you said during your time, but...
    Seed: Very much an ex player. Did ok
  • The Aussies have been in the frame for a long time now. If they are serious about running the club they'll already have plans in place rather than waiting until they are the owners. That could mean that a prospective manager may have been lined up weeks, maybe months, ago. If they are serious, they won't be altering those plans on the basis of one good performance. And frankly, I'd hope that they were a bit more loyal and a bit less capricious in their decision making than to do that.

I'll accept anyone as a new manager as long as we get new owners.
  • The club needs uniting and it needs to regain its identity and spirit and get some momentum back. I'm not sure kewell would give us that but anybody who gets the team winning probably would to an extent I guess. The ideal way would be to get some club men back at the helm. Bowyer and jj have been a good step in that direction but the icing on the cake would surely be for the likes of curbs and peacock to come into the set up in some way as well. If I was the new owner I would have been onto curbs before I even considered bidding - what a buzz that would create
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!