Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:

Harry Kewell as manager - W15 D8 L21 = 34% win rate.

Is he expected to do better at Crawley? (Again, no idea)
  • Assuming the Kewell rumour has some weight - I totally understand the worry that it would be Australians hiring another Australian for Australian's sake... an echo of the Duchatelet era.

I would suggest that there is a difference though - Kewell has spent almost his whole career in English football, worked as a coach of Watford u23s and is now performing fairly well as manager of a English League 2 team. I have no idea if he's any good, and I'm sure his nationality plays a big part, but he's not quite Karel Freaye.

I get what you mean but, if he's only being linked because of the Aussie link. For example, if a British buyer was interested, Harry Kewell wouldn't even have been listed as as candidate for our vacent role from most bookies etc
    Maybe - I'm not enough of an expert on which managers at our level are currently considered hot property. If you were to list good up-and-coming managers around our level that we could realistically recruit.. would Kewell be nowhere near? (Asking, as I have no idea).
    On that basis, possibly, but defo not as much as a favourite as he currently is.

No problem against the guy, hasn’t done a bad job at Crawley. However for now, I’d like to stay as we are till end of the season.
  • Dazzler21 said:

They were favourites for relegation this season, but are comfy in midtable
  • Rothko said:

Dazzler21 said:

They were favourites for relegation this season, but are comfy in midtable
    After a dodgy start I think the Crawley fans are fairly happy with his style of football and recognise that his team are doing far better than any of them were expecting.

• Curb_It said:

Curb_It said:

Can people please stop talking about the takeover! We are trying to talk about West Sussex towns.

#EastSussexMatters
    I love living in East Sussex, lovely countryside, nice seaside towns, clean air, clear night skies, so glad I left dismal, dirty, traffic polluted, light polluted, crowded south east London.

Where did you live before you moved to East Sussex?

Barnehurst/Erith border

Bit rude to look down your nose on an area that a lot of choose to live our lives, a place that a good lot of us love... or perhaps some of us cant afford to move out to the back of beyond (yawn) and pay £5,000 per year on travel or want to spend all those hours commuting.

Gone right off topic here.
    Born and bred in Erith but I escaped as soon as I could. I live in Yorkshire and you can buy a five-bed house up here for what you can a flat around there now. Anyway, those Australians eh?
    Do you live near @Leeds_Addick ?
  • Whats the lastest on Takeover has it all just been bollocks again,come on someone ITK give us a update i feel like im a hampster on his wheel
  • edited March 2018
    pwr heard rumours that he wants to hang on to the training ground - and the buyers want the whole club not bits of it. hence the hold up.
  • Meanwhile takeover news..... :)
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018

Dazzler21 said:

Crawley aren't wealthy, but they're not poor.

in 07/08 they were mid table in the conference
    in 08/09 they were mid table in the conference
    in 09/10 they were mid table in the conference
    in 10/11 they were promoted to league 2 as conference champions.
    in 11/12 they were automatically promoted to league 1
    in 12/13 they finished mid table
    in 13/14 they were a mid-table league 1 finisher
    in 14/15 they were relegated from league 1, missing out on safety by 3 points.
    15/16 they were 20th and 13 points of relegation spots
    in 16/17 they finished 19th 3points off the relegation spots.

I'd argue that they should at least be competing for the playoffs, if not autos.

Kewell could be doing quite well given last season's finish

I have to mention that their manager last season was completely clueless.

I went to a few games as my old work sponsor them and against Portsmouth I remember they had no shape, no drive and no real effort. It was like Karel Fraeye was manager.

I guess anything had to be better than that!

I hope when the Takeover is completed that the best man for the job is hired.
  • The East Sussex mob really hijacked my West Sussex chat...
  • edited March 2018

Horsham in West Sussex has a twinned town... In Victoria, Australia, also called Horsham.

Thus this talk about West Sussex has all been very loosely takeover related.

Don't know what the East side have been chatting on though...
  • Lots of people seem quick to judge Harry Kewell, just by looking at bald statistics.
    Didn't Kewell come in fairly late last season and lead Crawley to safety? For a long time they had looked doomed to relegation.

Last summer he had a major clear out and rebuilt the team on a very small budget.
    It took a while for the new squad to gel, but from before Christmas to just recently they had a pretty decent run of results and shot up the table.

While I wasn't too impressed with their defending last week :smile: , sometimes they get punished as they are prepared to take a few risks at the back in order to take the game to the opposition , playing an attractive quick passing attacking style.

Obviously a work in progress.

Kewell's evidently learning on the hoof and gaining experience - but IMO he's building a side that could quite possibly win promotion next season, if they tighten up at the back. For now though, I reckon he should stay where he is and earn his stripes before moving on to bigger things.

• Oggy Red said:

Lots of people seem quick to judge Harry Kewell, just by looking at bald statistics.
    Didn't Kewell come in fairly late last season and lead Crawley to safety? For a long time they had looked doomed to relegation.

Last summer he had a major clear out and rebuilt the team on a very small budget.
    It took a while for the new squad to gel, but from before Christmas to just recently they had a pretty decent run of results and shot up the table.

While I wasn't too impressed with their defending last week :smile: , sometimes they get punished as they are prepared to take a few risks at the back in order to take the game to the opposition , playing an attractive quick passing attacking style.

Kewell's evidently learning on the hoof and gaining experience - but IMO he's building a side that could quite possibly win promotion next season, if they tighten up at the back. For now though, I reckon he should stay where he is and earn his stripes before moving on to bigger things.

• The tweet from David White has got me thinking its going to take abit longer to get this over the line.

Many things written on this site over last 12hours have fallen into place for me now.

Never easy being a Charlton fan but Always interesting.

This is going to run into April.

Bowyer did very well on Saturday, but last week he wasn't even favourite to take over between himself and Jackson, never mind against external alternatives.

The point is that things change quickly - and if we lose the next two games they may change again. Hopefully we win them and the current set-up is able to run until the end of the season because it is successful, but the Kewell rumour didn't start on message boards, it started in the national press.

And East Sussex ?

Crawley's in West Sussex.
    But it may as well be on the moon!! No atmosphere whatsoever!
    Why all this talk about East and West Sussex when the real burning question (apart from date of takeover of course) is why is West Kent the home of Kentish Men whilst East Kent is the home of Men of Kent?

Because the first arrivals (Hengist's lot) who arrived and founded the Kingdom of Kent (the first English kingdom and therefore the first Englishmen/women) were Jutes from what is now northern Denmark. They landed and settled predominantly in East/South Kent.

Following them came a load of Saxon types from what is now northern Germany who mainly settled north and west of the Medway, which is considered the boundary between Men of Kent (Jutes) to the east and south and Kentish Men to the north and west.

Christ, I'm amazed that I remember all of that!

Shit...just realised this is the takeover thread - sorry! :/
  • Lets get this thread back on track...

Here are some song titles with Harry in it that seem relevant:

Hurry up Harry - Sham 69
    Harry was a champion - Chas and Dave
    Harry is our man - Kunt and the Gang

...and now back to West Sussex/Kent...
  • Solidgone said:

Lets get this thread back on track...

Hurry up Harry - Sham 69

Theme from Harry's Game (AFKA: not wishing to be a grass but Solidgone started it)
  • Sponsored links:

• Oggy Red said:

Lots of people seem quick to judge Harry Kewell, just by looking at bald statistics.

Nope... Kewell only joined Crawley last May, once the season had finished
  • 1905 said:

Solidgone said:

Lets get this thread back on track...

Hurry up Harry - Sham 69

Theme from Harry's Game (AFKA: not wishing to be a grass but Solidgone started it)</blockquote
    Creep ;0)
  • Dirty Harry - Gorillaz
  • Whats the lastest on Takeover has it all just been bollocks again,come on someone ITK give us a update i feel like im a hampster on his wheel

what's the point? We'll just be told it's a #donedeal for next Monday and fuck all will happen again.

• This all leading up nicely to a big big announcement on April the 1st.
  • Is this the right thread to bring up ball tampering because quite frankly, that's the last thing we need at the Valley.

Dave Mehmet is your man
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!