Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Not Powell and not Kewell. Keep Bow and JJ as it is for the foreseeable, regardless of who the owner is. Why even consider anyone else at this stage?

I do agree R but had we lost 3 nil Saturday everybody would have been as negative about Bowyer as they were before we found out he was taking charge and screaming for Euell
    BUT we didn't lose 3-0 and play rubbish with no spirit like so many recent matches.

Against Plymouth 8 of the starting 11 had possibly their best ever game and Bauer, Fosu and Amos played a massive part in the best home performance for years.

Anyone who wasn't at the valley on Saturday would believe fans are going OTT with 1 win,
    but it was seeing the transformation of the mentality of the team with the shackles off which must be down to Lee and JJ

The twin strikers were the catalyst for me, can be any combination of 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-3-1-2
    As long as it's TWO strikers up front.
    Plus Lee knew that Plymouth would alter at half time so our strikers dropped deeper when Argyle had the ball and got forward when we were attacking.

A Seismic change in the players, fans, mood and the Weather from the Fleetwood match.

PS. I love Seaford. Great walks and fresh air, can park for free, and get to know the seven sisters if your feeling fit !
    the walk along the River Cuckmere to Cuckmere Haven is nice too, drink in the pub afterwards, what's not to like.

That's age. We used to walk to the pub. Now we go to the pub after a walk.
  • SexyDave said:

I was told earlier the Kewell rumor is not correct, bow and jj until the end of the season. Takeover announced Wednesday (today).

I always take what I hear with a pinch of salt, but just passing what I've been told.

That would seem sensible at this point. And it leaves open what might happen at the end of the season.
  • SexyDave said:

I was told earlier the Kewell rumor is not correct, bow and jj until the end of the season. Takeover announced Wednesday (today).

I always take what I hear with a pinch of salt, but just passing what I've been told.

That would seem sensible at this point. And it leaves open what might happen at the end of the season.
    Are you hearing today's the day then?
  • I’d be hugely disappointed if Kewell came in as Manager. Superficially it would seem that he’s only being appointed because he’s an Aussie.
  • Solidgone said:

"You dirty old man..." Harry H Corbett [Steptoe and Son].

He used to live in East Sussex and was buried there
  • It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    It's COULDN'T care less... The only Americanism that makes my blood boil because their way makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The data shows it makes no difference to success as a manager. Neither does whether they were a good footballer or not. Following evidence is not "Americanism"... it is being "rational" and knowing the difference between reality and nonsense.
    Think you just got "whooshed" Napa! "Could care less" is the Americanism referred to...
  • Sponsored links:

• It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    It's COULDN'T care less... The only Americanism that makes my blood boil because their way makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The data shows it makes no difference to success as a manager. Neither does whether they were a good footballer or not. Following evidence is not "Americanism"... it is being "rational" and knowing the difference between reality and nonsense.
    He was referring to your idiotic use of "I could care less" when trying to show you don't care.
  • DOUCHER said:

The club needs uniting and it needs to regain its identity and spirit and get some momentum back. I'm not sure kewell would give us that but anybody who gets the team winning probably would to an extent I guess. The ideal way would be to get some club men back at the helm. Bowyer and jj have been a good step in that direction but the icing on the cake would surely be for the likes of curbs and peacock to come into the set up in some way as well. If I was the new owner I would have been onto curbs before I even considered bidding - what a buzz that would create

Curbishley and Powell have been out of the game too long, although I do agree with your post.

A management team with strong Charlton connections would be a great start to galvanising the fans and club again. This is badly needed after being torn apart over the past 4 1/2 years.
  • Is today the day?
  • DOUCHER said:

The club needs uniting and it needs to regain its identity and spirit and get some momentum back. I'm not sure kewell would give us that but anybody who gets the team winning probably would to an extent I guess. The ideal way would be to get some club men back at the helm. Bowyer and jj have been a good step in that direction but the icing on the cake would surely be for the likes of curbs and peacock to come into the set up in some way as well. If I was the new owner I would have been onto curbs before I even considered bidding - what a buzz that would create

Curbishley and Powell have been out of the game too long, although I do agree with your post.

A management team with strong Charlton connections would be a great start to galvanising the fans and club again. This is badly needed after being torn apart over the past 4 1/2 years.
    Fair point but I think peacock had been out of the game for quite a while when curbs had him in as part of his coaching team - a mentor type role
  • Stig said:

thenewbie said:

It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

Think you just got "whooshed" Napa! "Could care less" is the Americanism referred to...
    I've got to be honest, before this thread I never realised that, 'could care less' was a saying used by anyone. I thought it was just a typo because it makes no sense.
    And I've gotta be honest, the first time I've ever heard of it was in the above post.
  • edited March 2018
    Stig said:

I’d be hugely disappointed if Kewell came in as Manager. Superficially it would seem that he’s only being appointed because he’s an Aussie.

I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football.

Who is really a better option anyway? I know that LB and JJ are riding high in the opinion polls this week, and rightly so after the weekend, but their experience of management is limited to one week. Frankly, I'd expect any incoming owners to have a bit more of a plan about them than to choose a manager on the basis of one match.

I've nothing against Bowyer. If I was the incumbent owner (and I don't mean Two Shats - the thought of being him makes me sick) I'd stick with him until the end of the season at least. I'd expect different from new owners though and honestly can't see any reason to be disappointed if their new man was Kewell.
    1) Kewell has NO experience at this level. He has only managed at League 2.

2) Our most successful manager of recent years was appointed with exactly the same record as Bowyer has now. One game, one win, as caretaker manager. I refer to Chris Powell.

I have nothing against Kewell, but your arguments don't stack up.
  • Stig said:

I’d be hugely disappointed if Kewell came in as Manager. Superficially it would seem that he’s only being appointed because he’s an Aussie.

I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football.

Who is really a better option anyway? I know that LB and JJ are riding high in the opinion polls this week, and rightly so after the weekend, but their experience of management is limited to one week. Frankly, I'd expect any incoming owners to have a bit more of a plan about them than to choose a manager on the basis of one match.

I've nothing against Bowyer. If I was the incumbent owner (and I don't mean Two Shats - the thought of being him makes me sick) I'd stick with him until the end of the season at least. I'd expect different from new owners though and honestly can't see any reason to be disappointed if their new man was Kewell.

2) Our most successful manager of recent years was appointed with exactly the same record as Bowyer has now. One game, one win, as caretaker manager. I refer to Chris Powell.

This point never makes sense to me, how is someone suppose to get experience at a certain level if owners should only recruit people who’ve experience at that certain level.
    That's true, but the context here is why he would/wouldn't be a better choice than Bowyer/Jackson.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2018

Stig said:

This point never makes sense to me, how is someone suppose to get experience at a certain level if owners should only recruit people who’ve experience at that certain level.
    Read the original poster's comment.

"I can understand that given our experiences with Riga, Peeters and Fraeye, but at least Kewell has recent management experience in this division and a long background in English football."

As I said, he has NO experience at this level. We are in League 1, he has NO management experience in League 1...
  • Am I right in saying that people would still prefer Kwell come in rather than stick with an arguably better, easier to move forward, option in Bow/JJ?
  • You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

Yes I believe so
  • Stig said:

On this basis, let’s appoint Paul Jewel
  • You'd have to say from reading the spiel on the Oz consortium website that a big part of their plans is to make whichever club they choose a household name in Australia. To do that,and I'm just speculating here, the whole set up will need a real Australian flavour to give the club some appeal back home, hence the arrival of Kewell. This would be followed I guess with a fair smuttering of Australian youngsters filtering through the academy and probably more coaches with an Oz background and sporting philosophy.
    Whether that really is the best way forward for this club only time will tell I guess. The distance between the two different spheres of interest couldn't be worse geographically in my opinion.
    There will be a fair amount of scepticism around on the Charlton supporters part and rightly so.
    Yes it's not Duchatelet. But could we be moving from one harebraned scheme to another??

So the only reason Keeell May get the gig is because he is Australian and NOT necessarily because he is best man for the job? It makes no more sense than any of RDs appointments. I suppose we may also replace the Red Robin with Waltzing Matilda, a new Club Crest with a Koala on it and/or our junior coaches with Aussies?

• Am I right in saying that people would still prefer Kwell come in rather than stick with an arguably better, easier to move forward, option in Bow/JJ?

Not me, and certainly not Kwell (or even Kewell). Think he could probably do a good job - but would much rather keep bow/JJ in there until the end of the season (if not more). Why disrupt the team at this moment in time? Bow/JJ know the players, their strengths and weaknesses and appear to have the support of them. Crazy to risk breaking that at this point in the season.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!