Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• EastStand said:

Over 2 million reviews and fuck all has happened - it has to be some kind of record.

You ever watched Eadtenders?

• SDAddick said:

Stig said:

thenewbie said:

It would be mad if Kewell was installed as manager - his only qualification seems to be that he's Australian. He doesn't have any connection to our club and doesn't have a record of success as a manager.

I could care less about whether a new manager has any "connection to the club." I think this silly policy has set back English football for ages. I want the best qualified and most likely to do well for the job we are hiring for. English football is the only place where fans want ex-players to run their clubs even though data is overwhelming that such has no bearing on success as a manager.

Now, as to the point "he has no record of success as a manager"... on that I agree.
    It's COULDN'T care less... The only Americanism that makes my blood boil because their way makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

The data shows it makes no difference to success as a manager. Neither does whether they were a good footballer or not. Following evidence is not "Americanism"... it is being "rational" and knowing the difference between reality and nonsense.
    Think you just got "whooshed" Napa! "Could care less" is the Americanism referred to...
    I've got to be honest, before this thread I never realised that, 'could care less' was a saying used by anyone. I thought it was just a typo because it makes no sense.
    And I've gotta be honest, the first time I've ever heard of it was in the above post.
    Me too......and I lived in California for 3 years, never heard anyone use that expression.
    It's pretty common. It's easy to think people are saying "I couldn't care less" because your brain just fills that in logically. But yeah, as it is, it makes no sense.
    Yep, I hear it all the time. Drives me insane.
  • If it doesn't happen could this thread as a piece of work be the biggest waste of time and effort known to man?

Got to be up there.

No way mister burn,

The Sussex tourist board think its wonderful.
  • JamesSeed said:

SDAddick said:

Things are never straight forward though and we are all guilty of making new judgements at different points in time. That’s because we are just distant observers to the process.

I suspect there definitely is legs to the Kewell rumours.

Let’s work out some guesswork into chronological order

- they have been on the scene and potentially acquiring for almost 12 months.

- rumour suggest having done their homework they had identified Chris Powell as the right man for when they take charge. Powell probably met their main guy / delegate and had a number of follow up conversations

- This rumbled on far longer than intended. Whether through the Aussies not having finance in place, other parties expressing interest or Roland just messing the process around, who knows.

- in the meantime Powell was probably getting itchy feet. Was kept being reassured ‘soon’ but he was probably losing conviction that soon will ever emerge. In the meantime, the Southend job was put to him. Not his number one hope, but not much further down the list either. League One club in driving distance who he has a great history with. In the end he thought it was too good an opportunity to miss out on with the possibility that the Aussies may not even be successful in acquiring

- The Aussies are now back to square one. They look again at it on who they want to install. Kewell is perceived to be doing well at Crawley, who are not going crazy but definitely outperforming expectations and playing good football with it. Compatriot as well, through Sport Australia there are likely to be some known links so may well be personal history. Kewell has known friendship with Bowyer so there is also probably some discussion / information sharing going on behind the scenes whilst Robinson is manager.

- Aussies speak with Kewell, both agree that if the takeover happens they can work together and a gentleman’s agreement is formed

- in the meantime, like Meire, unexpectedly Robbo ups sticks and walks. This wasn’t planned in the Aussies roadmap. Bowyer, who possibly might have been identified and happy to become Kewell’s Assistant, gets asked to step in for very short-term, hopefully only one game.

- Charlton smash it out the park, Bowyer is now a hero and the next Fergie, and Charlton fans say they don’t want Kewell, they want Bowyer (who was either going to be out the door or the assistant).

So what do the Aussies do if successful? Go back on what they had researched and agreed with Kewell? Based on one result?

The above is based on no knowledge but what I consider a not unreasonable ‘guess scenario’.

Not straight forward is it? Honesty and trust is very important in every business and football is no different

A lot of good points in this, and I suspect you're roughly accurate in terms of how things have played out with the Aussies over the last however long, year or so.

I absolutely agree Bowyer should not be made manager based on one result. It was a good result and a really good, markedly improved performance. And it wasn't done by making huge changes either. Yes the formation changed, but I suspect that apart from Reeves and Fosu, a lot of our players' heat maps wouldn't look too dissimilar to the 4-2-3-1. It was the nature of the performance and the tweaks, particularly in our build up play and off the ball movement that I found so impressive.It felt like we finally played the kind of football that we been trying to play (again) for the last few months. But, again, it is one game.

That said, the thing I keep coming back to is, is Harry Kewell the man to really move us forward? Watford youth team and Crawley in midtable are very different propositions to what we're trying to achieve this season, let alone in the future. And I have the same question about Bowyer,id he's the one we want to trust for 12 gamea. We are not far off the playoffs, and we cannot afford to just write this season off. So the 12 game run in must be considered extremely important, and not be treated as a bedding in process.

I don't have any answers on this, just questions. I would certainly rather someone like Kewell, who is young and learning but who played under one of the best tactician in the modern game, and Rafael Benitez (a David O'Leary joke for the kids). Better that than a lower league journeyman. But we're at a really important impasse, with two games in the next five days, and this is a really difficult decision that potential new owners really need to get right.
    I think the stars were in alignment for Bowyer, as starting Zyro, Dijksteel and Page might not have been something he had planned on, but it worked out so well. Would we have payed so well with Megennis and Solly in the side? No-one could have expected Page to play so well, as he hadn’t played for so long.
    If KR had been in charge you'd be singing his praises for exactly the same thing.
    Saying the stars were in alignment means luck/fate was on his side. That’s not singing his praises. You’re just trying to score a cheap point ;-)
    My point about Robinson was that the abuse was unwarranted. I lost faith some time ago, but I didn’t feel the need to get personal @Stu_of_Kunming
    Each to their own I guess.
  • Kewell now 1/10 on for the job.

Just means people are lumping money on it happening.
  • Chris Powell shortening to 4/1 second favourite now
  • Bowyer at 16-1 now. Win on Friday and you'd have to say that's generous seeing as he only has to make it 10 games. It's almost a bet on whether the takeover happens before the end of the season or not really ain't it.
  • I could not see any way that SCP would fuck Southend over and join us now

He's too much of a gentleman for that, but then he did play for Palace at one point in his life.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer at 16-1 now. Win on Friday and you'd have to say that's generous seeing as he only has to make it 10 games. It's almost a bet on whether the takeover happens before the end of the season or not really ain't it.

What so if you bet on LB now at 16-1 to be next manager of CAFC and he manages 10 games... it pays out??

What so if you bet on LB now at 16-1 to be next manager of CAFC and he manages 10 games... it pays out??
    Yeah mate. technically its nine games now (conveniently how many games are left!)
  • In other airline news, Belgian airline Brussels Airlines is repainting its fleet to honour some of the world's most influential, famous and important Belgians.

Today, they've got as far as The Smurfs.

So, only a few thousand to go now, Roland.

Yeah mate. technically its nine games now (conveniently how many games are left!)
    Thanks! I'll have some of that!
  • I would take the airport story as a pinch of salt as there is no need for both parties to be round the same table.

When I sold my business last year I was sat in my solicitors office in Kent and the buyers were sat in their solicitors office in Central London. Last minute games by the buyer meant it dragged on and we finally signed on the dotted line at 10pm before the solicitors emailed each way as proof of the sale and purchase.

Thanks! I'll have some of that!

That's on skybet I don't know about any other sites though bud so worth checking if you aren't using them before you punt!
  • I could not see any way that SCP would fuck Southend over and join us now

Did he have a clause that said if a bigger club came knocking he would be allowed to talk to them.........or even Charlton ?
  • Dazzler21 said:

I could not see any way that SCP would fuck Southend over and join us now

He's too much of a gentleman for that, but then he did play for Palace at one point in his life.
    Releases an autobiography based on his dark past about the time when he once played for palace.

"Chris Powell: ....The other side of me"

Available at WH Smith

• Sponsored links:

• So as we are well past 2,000,000 views on this thread, can we lay down some of the important statistics?

1. Who has made the most posts on this thread?

2. Who has had the most likes on this thread?

3. Who has received the most LOL's?

4. Who has been flagged most?

5. Who has written the most words on this thread (overall, and in a single post)?

My betting is on

1/ @JamesSeed
    2/ @Airman Brown
    3/ @DOUCHER
    4/ @AFKABartram
    5/ @JamesSeed and @Grapevine49
  • Mal said:

I reckon you could get a great book out of this thread a little bit down the line when Roland is a distant memory.

2,000,000 plus views and still going, at this rate we will have forgotten what the heck we were looking for when eventually the club is sold
    What, the club's being sold?!

Had a punt on that!
  • Oh crap I'm gonna end up being the most hated bloke on the forum when Kewell gets announced tomorrow afternoon ain't I ;)
  • Pedro45 said:

So as we are well past 2,000,000 views on this thread, can we lay down some of the important statistics?

5. Who has written the most words on this thread (overall, and in a single post)?

My betting is on

1/ @JamesSeed
    2/ @Airman Brown
    3/ @DOUCHER
    4/ @AFKABartram

Quantity not quality.

Had a punt on that!
    You might as well double that up with promotion at 14/1, because I doubt you'll have one without the other.
  • Oh crap I'm gonna end up being the most hated bloke on the forum when Kewell gets announced tomorrow afternoon ain't I ;)

From what I have gleaned, when pressed on the subject, HK dismissed the idea of leaving Crawley, although he was very praiseworthy when it came to CAFC. Maybe the media (and many of us on here) have just got it wrong?
    Not dismissing the possibility of him becoming manager at some stage IF the Aussies succeed in their takeover, but would be surprised if he was appointed anytime soon.
  • JamesSeed said:

Pedro45 said:

So as we are well past 2,000,000 views on this thread, can we lay down some of the important statistics?

My betting is on

1/ @JamesSeed
    2/ @Airman Brown
    3/ @DOUCHER
    4/ @AFKABartram

Quantity not quality.
    That's what we like - Forums that are full of opinion ;-)
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!