Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I'm cool with John Lewis taking us over as long as I get a free coffee with my half time pie and chips.

With our luck, it would be Poundland

• Don't know why anyone would want to leave the Valley and watch football in a soulless bowl near the O2. Anyone been to the Olympic stadium/emirates etc. its crap.

Just easier to access though North Greenwich. Can get there from waterloo etc easily enough and from other areas of London a lot easier than getting to charlton station.
    All we need is to get the council to build a tram loop from the O2 to The Valley.

We might get an EU grant.

• Don't know why anyone would want to leave the Valley and watch football in a soulless bowl near the O2. Anyone been to the Olympic stadium/emirates etc. its crap.

Just easier to access though North Greenwich. Can get there from waterloo etc easily enough and from other areas of London a lot easier than getting to charlton station.
    Charlton could run shuttle buses to and from North Greenwich if the demand was there.
  • edited February 2018
    So we've got two Muirs, an Alex McLeish and now an Alex McGleish
  • But has anyone considered that new owners might try to move us to the peninsula?? What then??!

I'm shocked this hasn't been brought up before.

I have a feeling RB might want to change our badge as well.

Can anyone investigate?
    Wow, slow down there. Where are you getting this stuff from?

You'll be saying no one has done due diligence and nothing is happening next.
    We could discuss RD's asking price, that would be new and exciting.
    Only after what school you went to, is Brexit a good idea and the impact of selling Scott Parker; three topics everyone on CL seems to dodge.
    Never mind Scott Parker. I’m still fuming about Len Glover.
    I see your Len Glover and raise you Scotty Kingsley
    You got me. Was he our first ever sale ?

Sold to pay our debts in 1921/2
    How did that make you feel Henners ?

Gutted.

Hated Fulham ever since.

The most important player in Charlton’s history?

“Although Scotty only played 20 league matches for Charlton he was undoubtedly one of the most significant and central figures in the club’s history – one could even argue, the most significant.
    After the First World War is was Kingsley, who had joined the Addicks in 1912, who approached the Charlton secretary to enquire if it was possible to re-form the club and this was agreed at a subsequent meeting which was attended by Scotty.
    It is also claimed that Kingsley was one of a small delegation of Charlton minded people who visited what was then called the Swamps and decided that was where they wanted their ground to be built – which signaled the birth of the Valley.
    Then when, in 1922, Charlton were threatened with closure by the builders of the stand if they did not honour a £1,000 debt, Scotty agreed to a transfer to Fulham and his transfer fee wiped out the debt and probably saved the club”
    Colin Cameron – Club Historian writing in the Valiant 500

The first overseas player?

Although the early Charlton teams were made up of local boys and Scotty Kingsley attended Fossdene School was born in Barbados in 1891. He died in Plumstead in 1967. He worked as a foreman optical instrument maker for the Woolwich Arsenal throughout his playing career.
    Seems our history is in good hands.

• .I really, really dont get the negativity about RB - only Charlton fans wouldn't want loads of money thrown at its club.Its just stupidity gone mad.

So, lets say its a choice of 2 - RB or RD, you'd choose RD ?? !
    As someone said earlier, ...good luck. Coz if its RB i would jump with joy - if its RD then , thats it, i'm off- you can all have your home games v Woking at The Valley in front of 3k - instead pf possibly Spurs at The Peninsular in front of 40k. its just laughable. Its like the fans on here who weren't bothered that we didnt play Spurs at Wembley this season - effing fruitcakes all of you.

They can call us what they like, RB London as far as i'm concerned - i will still know our heritage- and it will still be my club.

There is no future under RD - he is destroying us.It will eventually be a dead parrot club with The Valley looking like what Highbury looks like now.

Firstly, I don't think it's gonna be RB so this is all irrelevant but I want to reply for arguments sake.

Secondly I'm following on from your post Pres but this isn't aimed specifically at you. Most of the questions are rhetorical so please don't think I'm having a go at you.

We have to be careful here in my view. We are in danger of making it look like the protests are entirely about success on the pitch when for me at least they have been about so so much more. We have (rightly) taken issue with the club being run without putting the fans first, the complete absense of fan engagement, the lack of recognition for our history and our identity and their footballing strategy. For me the lack of success on the pitch is a symptom of all the above.

Do you really think any of those will be better under RB? The only thing that will change is the footballing strategy. Whilst that will be a welcome change and will bring success but at what cost? Everything that makes our great club what it is? That'll be a no from me.

Look at RB Leipzig, most of the fans who supported before RB turned up no longer go. The club refuse to admit that there was a club before they took over. All history books have been erased. They've brought success but at too great a cost for many. And that's despite the German rules on fan ownership etc. Which are far more stringent than anything our woeful FA would try. You think they wouldn't find a way round the FA rules? They would. And too many fans would back them on the hope of success that it couldn't be stopped.

As I said before RD is a slow death, RB would be a quick death. I would rather cling on in our death bed a little longer and hope that a real cure turns up rather than take a brain transplant and continue to exist but as a completely different person.

Obviously I want Charlton to be a success but not at any cost. Don't you have any footballing principles? For me i want our growth to be organic, with fan engagement key. The whole club from top to bottom united and working together. The right off the field set up in order to bring the best of field results, within our means. Obviously that will have to be backed up by serious money but it can still be done properly. I don't think that is unrealistic.

In my view if you are willing to take success at the cost of losing your club you may as well to and support City, Chels, United or Arsenal. They've already sold their soul for success. It'll be a different club your supporting anyway so what's the difference? Again just my view.

If it were to happen I would probably go and support Bromley/Welling/Orient.

Fuck the Premier league, and fuck their money. Fuck their attitude of corporation and brand above the fans. Fuck modern football.
    I love Canters

Charlton could run shuttle buses to and from North Greenwich if the demand was there.
    I said the same this morning. But better still - Bring back the trams!
  • Summery 2/2
    Roland is selling the entire network to Red Bull and we will either be moving to the Peninsular or (if already full) to Boris Island. Ademola Lookman will be the next player-manager and the shirts will be sponsored by John Lewis.

“Build it and they will come”. I’m sure if we were premier league we would have done this to try and combat West Ham being at Stratford. Especially if West Ham ever got relegated again.
  • Sponsored links:

• The nightmare scenario is that we don't get Aussie owners, but instead get Aussie beer
  • Robinson said that he, Gallen and Murray I believe, all convened at the o2 on Wednesday, so it’s FACT we are moving to the peninsula, irrefutable and glaringly obvious.

I heard something yesterday, but then again I was walking through Berkeley Square.

Wibble
  • DA9 said:

Robinson said that he, Gallen and Murray I believe, all convened at the o2 on Wednesday, so it’s FACT we are moving to the peninsula, irrefutable and glaringly obvious.

I heard something yesterday, but then again I was walking through Berkeley Square.

Wibble

Was it a Nightingale...?

I don’t need to access The Valley from North Greenwich thanks so you can cram moving away from The Valley up your ass please.

Please note, I did say please

The 472 and 486 buses are rarely full before matches, so I don't think the demand is there at the moment. If we got into the Premier League again though... it might be worth considering.

Fwiw, in my opinion the case for moving to the Peninsula doesn't stack up any more. The developer of the site, Knight Dragon, doesn't have a stadium as part of its plan, and the land there will rapidly increase in value as more of it is developed. I think only a major downturn in the economy (and particularly in real estate) might make the idea of a move there viable. For now, it's nothing to worry about.
  • .I really, really dont get the negativity about RB - only Charlton fans wouldn't want loads of money thrown at its club.Its just stupidity gone mad.

As someone said earlier, ...good luck. Coz if its RB i would jump with joy - if its RD then , thats it, i'm off- you can all have your home games v Woking at The Valley in front of 3k - instead pf possibly Spurs at The Peninsular in front of 40k. its just laughable. Its like the fans on here who weren't bothered that we didnt play Spurs at Wembley this season - effing fruitcakes all of you.

They can call us what they like, RB London as far as i'm concerned - i will still know our heritage- and it will still be my club.

There is no future under RD - he is destroying us.It will eventually be a dead parrot club with The Valley looking like what Highbury looks like now.

Firstly, I don't think it's gonna be RB so this is all irrelevant but I want to reply for arguments sake.

Secondly I'm following on from your post Pres but this isn't aimed specifically at you. Most of the questions are rhetorical so please don't think I'm having a go at you.

Look at RB Leipzig, most of the fans who supported before RB turned up no longer go. The club refuse to admit that there was a club before they took over. All history books have been erased. They've brought success but at too great a cost for many. And that's despite the German rules on fan ownership etc. Which are far more stringent than anything our woeful FA would try. You think they wouldn't find a way round the FA rules? They would. And too many fans would back them on the hope of success that it couldn't be stopped.

Fuck the Premier league, and fuck their money. Fuck their attitude of corporation and brand above the fans. Fuck modern football.
    When RB took over Leipzig in 2009, they had average attendances of 2,150
    In 2017 that was 41,404.

How many of the original fans dont now go ?

In 2017 that was 41,404.

2,150 :smile:
  • But has anyone considered that new owners might try to move us to the peninsula?? What then??!

Can anyone investigate?

Only after what school you went to, is Brexit a good idea and the impact of selling Scott Parker; three topics everyone on CL seems to dodge.

I think @blackpool72 was the agent that sorted that deal.
  • I'm cool with John Lewis taking us over as long as I get a free coffee with my half time pie and chips.

As long as it's not Sainsbury's.
  • Sponsored links:

Can anyone investigate?

I think @blackpool72 was the agent that sorted that deal.
    Admin I am being bullied.

In 2017 that was 41,404.

Most of them, as I said it's an entirely different club. It's been well publicised the long standing fans that dont go.

The point still stands as do all my other points.
  • Fumbluff said:

Don't know why anyone would want to leave the Valley and watch football in a soulless bowl near the O2. Anyone been to the Olympic stadium/emirates etc. its crap.

I don’t need to access The Valley from North Greenwich thanks so you can cram moving away from The Valley up your ass please.

Please note, I did say please
    Curb_it................he said ass and not arse!!!

In 2017 that was 41,404.

Most of them, as I said it's an entirely different club. It's been well publicised the long standing fans that dont go.

The point still stands as do all my other points.
    Clearly its an entirely different club, from a club that had average attendances of 2,150 8 years ago to a club that has avg attendances now of over 40 thousand !.

Hardly a failing model i would suggest.
  • T_C_E said:

But has anyone considered that new owners might try to move us to the peninsula?? What then??!

Can anyone investigate?

I think he played Ghandi in a film, the name of which escapes me!
    Apparently I have a ticket for the football for a fiver. Am I........
    A) a tight b@st@rd?
    B ) In the know, re: the takeover?
    C) Popping in to help our Tone pack his best china tea service and bid him a tearful farewell?
    D) A hypocrite, if they are still here?
    Answer = C) Because you would accidentally drop it (and then tread on it to make sure it was in a thousand pieces) :wink:
  • cafc-west said:

So...anyone else back to scanning for comments from @Airman Brown and @Redhenry ??

I scan for posts from @3blokes
    Oi, oi does Mr A know about this :wink: .
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!