Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• edited February 2018

Dear God. Please not Red Bull.

Would really be RIP Charlton.

RD is slowly killing the club, RB would be a quick death of Charlton. There will be a club with a similar name in a different ground and different kit but it won't be Charlton. Not to me anyway.

That would be it for football for me.

I know it's just one dodgy Twitter account but I cannot emphasise enough how bad this will be.

Would it be though? They wouldn't be able to change the name, that's been established. Cardiff's mad owner tried changing the kit, and he had shit all luck with that and changed it back; even he knew he'd crossed a line. Maybe the ground would become the Red Bull Valley, maybe we'd move, but I think we have to accept being based where we are that one day there's a serious chance an owner will try and move us to the Peninsula. As for the logo, yeah, we might get a new one with bulls on it, but we could also get one with a bloke dying of heartburn like Leeds or some weird cartoon pirate ship like City regardless of who owns us.

If we've learned anything from RD's failed experiment, as well as the quick about-turns of the owners of Hull, Cardiff and others, it's that football fans in this country, you and me, are a bunch of bastards and you can't sell us anything we don't want to buy if it concerns our club. Sure, Red Bull have been able to pick up clapped out teams - a fifth division team and a team who had already changed their name for sponsorship money before - with little history and little interest but we are not that. I don't think we're being bought by RB for a second but I really don't think they'd have much luck pulling the heart out of the club if they tried; RD's been actively trying to kill us for years and as soon as he gets his money he's running for his life away from us as fast as he can. We like to say that RD bought the wrong club, and we will continue to be the wrong club for anyone stupid enough to come in with any agenda other than winning football matches and trying not to go out of business
    I'd be interested to know how much that (moving to the peninsular) would cost. I imagine land in the area no longer comes cheap. There's also the cost of building a stadium large enough to cope with the kind of crowds you'd hope to get in the Premier League. Can't see there'd be any point in building a smaller stadium - that would be an admission of defeat, before you've even got started.
    Obviously some funding would come from the sale of The Valley [sob].

Woudn't it be cheaper just to organise a fleet of coaches to provide free travel to and from the peninsular including the O2?
  • Dear God. Please not Red Bull.

Would really be RIP Charlton.

RD is slowly killing the club, RB would be a quick death of Charlton. There will be a club with a similar name in a different ground and different kit but it won't be Charlton. Not to me anyway.

That would be it for football for me.

I know it's just one dodgy Twitter account but I cannot emphasise enough how bad this will be.

Would it be though? They wouldn't be able to change the name, that's been established. Cardiff's mad owner tried changing the kit, and he had shit all luck with that and changed it back; even he knew he'd crossed a line. Maybe the ground would become the Red Bull Valley, maybe we'd move, but I think we have to accept being based where we are that one day there's a serious chance an owner will try and move us to the Peninsula. As for the logo, yeah, we might get a new one with bulls on it, but we could also get one with a bloke dying of heartburn like Leeds or some weird cartoon pirate ship like City regardless of who owns us.

If we've learned anything from RD's failed experiment, as well as the quick about-turns of the owners of Hull, Cardiff and others, it's that football fans in this country, you and me, are a bunch of bastards and you can't sell us anything we don't want to buy if it concerns our club. Sure, Red Bull have been able to pick up clapped out teams - a fifth division team and a team who had already changed their name for sponsorship money before - with little history and little interest but we are not that. I don't think we're being bought by RB for a second but I really don't think they'd have much luck pulling the heart out of the club if they tried; RD's been actively trying to kill us for years and as soon as he gets his money he's running for his life away from us as fast as he can. We like to say that RD bought the wrong club, and we will continue to be the wrong club for anyone stupid enough to come in with any agenda other than winning football matches and trying not to go out of business
    Great post Garry. If there's one thing positive to come out of the Two Shats era, it's that the fans have shown what they can do when faced with unsuitable ownership. Hopefully that'll be enough to put only well-intentioned suitors in the frame.
  • Has anyone with anything credibility commented on the Red Bull rumor?
  • Personally I just want to see Charlton be successful if that involves Red Bull so be it. Without big money that won't be possible in today's football world

• Big money is very useful but what really gets you success is smart people. Like it or not (and of course many don't) RB Leipzig have been very very smart.

Big money gets smart people.
    Not always - just ask RD.
  • I'm getting a major feeling of déjà vu
  • edited February 2018

Big money is very useful but what really gets you success is smart people. Like it or not (and of course many don't) RB Leipzig have been very very smart.

Big money gets smart people.
    Not always - just ask RD.
    He didnt pay big money in his football clubs(after all, why do you think the likes of Kermy,Morro were moved on?) - but i bet he does at Melexis.

• I wasn't thinking of his clubs, more the personnel he hired to run them. I'm sure his other businesses must be much better run.
  • Sponsored links:

I’m getting a major feeling of de....

Woah that’s weird!

• edited February 2018

I wasn't thinking of his clubs, more the personnel he hired to run them. I'm sure his other businesses must be much better run.

He didnt pay Katrien much (apparently), and clearly didnt pay Driesen very much(if at all). And i would hardly call them very smart..

Some kind of euphemism????
  • edited February 2018
    This is Groundhog day all over again! It’s not Red Bull I tell you.

That's what you said before.
  • How tall are Australians?

About as big as Elfsborg
  • 3blokes said:

I’ve heard, apparently, this thread can now be seen from outer space..

Brilliantly funny. To someone who has read every post on this sodding thread, I think you have nailed the scale of it now 3 Blokes
  • This is Groundhog day all over again! It’s not Red Bull I tell you.

Did Roland see his shadow?
  • Sponsored links:

About as big as Elfsborg
    Being run by dwarfs then.
  • IMHO, the only valid discussion regarding Red Bull is to try to fathom how come billions of people around the world are drinking the foul piss.

All Fosters drinkers as well.

• No need to discuss Red Bull - we will soon have the report of agent Lookman.
  • edited February 2018

IMHO, the only valid discussion regarding Red Bull is to try to fathom how come billions of people around the world are drinking the foul piss.

All Fosters drinkers as well.
    Hardly anyone drink Fosters in Australia.

From Wikipedia: Notably, while Foster's Group owns many of these brands, Foster's Lager itself is not considered a local drink anywhere in Australia.
  • Has anyone with anything credibility commented on the Red Bull rumor?

Only Craig David so far
  • IMHO, the only valid discussion regarding Red Bull is to try to fathom how come billions of people around the world are drinking the foul piss.

Just the smell if it makes me want to throw up. Specially on the train at 06:30 in the morning
  • Someone earlier mentioned building luxury flats on the valley, I wonder if they've ever been to Charlton. :open_mouth:

The flats could be luxury but the development would need to be like an all inclusive resort in Aleppo where you don’t leave the complex.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!