Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
    And that’s the highest they will ever finish spending that amount. With the six clubs above them having literally 2-3x as much to spend or more, Wolves have likely hit their ceiling.
    How much did Leicester spend to win the league again?
    So you want to pin Charlton’s hopes on being the next 1500-1 shot? Does not sound like a sound strategy. Also, they wildly broke FFP rules to get promoted as well.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
    And that’s the highest they will ever finish spending that amount. With the six clubs above them having literally 2-3x as much to spend or more, Wolves have likely hit their ceiling.
    How much did Leicester spend to win the league again?
    Leicester are the counter point to any argument you can ever make about anything football and finance related. That doesn't hide the fact that Leicester were "doped" whilst in the championship. It was a fluke, it will never happen in our life times again.  Like Nottingham Forest winning back to back European cups. 
    I don't believe in luck as many others do. Everything has a chance of happening, it's how you tilt odds in your favour through preparation, hard work and belief. Much like Bowyer has done this season.  

Winning the Premier League in a season that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc all underestimated them. Their manager got his tactics spot on and the players played out of their skins. They gave it everything. 

Winning One European Cup could be 'Luck' as you put it, for me it's players excelling beyond their capabilities and being underestimated. 
    Winning Two confirms it's more likely my belief than your 'Luck'.

I didn't say it was luck, I said it was a fluke, the perfect storm and you need all the cards to come up trumps.  If it wasn't a fluke it would happen all the time, it doesn't. 

fluke1

NOUN

• An unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.

‘their victory was a bit of a fluke’
      More example sentences
      Synonyms

VERB

[WITH OBJECT]
    • Achieve (something) by luck rather than skill.

Sounds awfully similar old chap.

That season every player gave everything the manager studied every opponent and set up well against all opponents. 

It was sensational to see how they set up different each game and every player was willing to put their bodies on the line.

There was no luck. No fluke. The big guns underestimated them and they knew it.

You get away with that for one season, but you expose everything you have to do so, they didn't have the money to change out the weaker players or replace the ones that were sold and as such had little opportunity to replicate it the following season and ever since.
  • now I know what is like to be in eye of the storm ^
  • This all sounds very encouraging for a club  with an out of contract manager and 7 players. 
  • Dave2l said:
    Rudders22 said:
    Addickted said:
    Reckon Roland got any extra cash for Gomez winning the CL?
    With Meire negotiating the deal?

I suspect we probably owe Liverpool money.
    No. I have just asked a mate and he confirmed no. 

Your mate must be seriously

"In the know"

add on clauses for Gomez for playing in European Cup Final. Nothing else 
  • edited June 2019
    Bluebird Bestie has hunted for info re Tan and no one there has heard a thing. 
    What they did say was nothing would surprise them as he is bonkers.  
    Twinned with Cardiff anyone???
  • Bluebird Bestie has hunted for info re Tan and no one there has heard a thing. 
    It's not Tan.
  • Bluebird Bestie has hunted for info re Tan and no one there has heard a thing. 
    It's not Tan.
    What have you heard then airman ??

• No idea where the Tan thing has come from bar someone having some mischief on Twitter. 
  • Sponsored links:

• FAVADDICK said:
    It's not Tan.
    Can't add anything more at the moment in fairness to others and it may not amount to anything anyway, so don't get too excited. But I do know that Vincent Tan isn't involved.
    And so it begins ....
  • edited June 2019
    The story  of 1652 pages starts with a duct taped shoe and ends with the shoe fitting Cinderella by Lord Bowyer and we all live happily ever after in our full valley wonderland.

What, you don't believe in fairy stories ?
  • Airman. Are you aware of any significance with the middle Eastern fella who was sitting on Curbishleys left at Wembley?
  • 1652, The Battle of Kentish Knock in the first Anglo Dutch war results in a narrow victory for the English.
    It's not Tan.

Beige?
    Camel.....
  • Sponsored links:

• 1652, The Battle of Kentish Knock in the first Anglo Dutch war results in a narrow victory for the English.
    Hopefully repeated in the Nations League
    Hopefully repeated in the Nations League
    That sounds double Dutch.
  • Airman. Are you aware of any significance with the middle Eastern fella who was sitting on Curbishleys left at Wembley?
    I don't know who he was, so I'm not.
  • @happyvalley

You will run out of facts before we run out of RD.
    Source. 
  • FAVADDICK said:
    It's not Tan.
     don't get too excited. 
    IT'S HAPPENING!!!
  • Uboat said:
    FAVADDICK said:
    It's not Tan.
     don't get too excited. 
    IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    Hurrah!
  • edited June 2019
    Hope not there's still another 367 pages of facts to do yet.

• Hope not there's still another 367 pages of facts to do yet.

I best get started then 

1652 : England declares war on The quite recently formed Netherlands, beginning the first Anglo-Dutch war

With the third war commencing tomorrow at 19:45
  • LTKapal said:
    Hope not there's still another 367 pages of facts to do yet.

I best get started then 

1652 : England declares war on The quite recently formed Netherlands, beginning the first Anglo-Dutch war

With the third war commencing tomorrow at 19:45
    Grrr
    It's not Tan.

Beige?
    Camel.....
    Toe 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!