Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Oh ffs, his picture is one of those Google stock images, his header is a high street, he is referring to us as #addicts. Move along everyone, more misery to follow 
  • edited June 2019

Chrispy51 said:
    If the Aussies were trying to get money together before, what must they be thinking now with the money they would need to come up with to compete in The Championship? My honest guess is.... “Wow did we dodge a bullet by not buying! WTF were we thinking?”

But if their 5 year plan was to get to the premier league then they haven't sunk money in getting out of league 1.  A lot of the dead wood is out of contract and they can start afresh with a core of good players that can be added to.  If we are now able to go out and get some young players who will grow into a promotion winning side in the next couple of years and bring in some good quality experienced players and loans we can hopefully start to build a squad capable of promotion within their 5 year plan.

Fair enough. But no matter how much dead wood we cut, how do we compete when (as one can read in the “Airman - VOTV” thread), we will have at most £26-28M to spend on our whole club, when the relegated PL clubs have £150M to spend on wages and other clubs routinely spend £50-70M on wages? How? Bowyer is good but he probably ain’t good enough to overcome 5-1 spending advantages. And given this predicament, who is going to want to jump in this fray and take the risk now to buy us? Our wage bill would probably rank in the bottom 3 of the Championship right now and we already have sharks circling for Taylor and we probably lose Aribo too. Seems dicey. I would hate to be the one who replaces Roland and then sees us relegated. New owners like to be heroes, not goats.

I really hope you are right, though! o:)
    Huddersfield did it. Palace did it. Swansea did it.......
  • 16:50

About the time I start thinking about what I'm going to have for dinner
  • edited June 2019

Chrispy51 said:
    If the Aussies were trying to get money together before, what must they be thinking now with the money they would need to come up with to compete in The Championship? My honest guess is.... “Wow did we dodge a bullet by not buying! WTF were we thinking?”

But if their 5 year plan was to get to the premier league then they haven't sunk money in getting out of league 1.  A lot of the dead wood is out of contract and they can start afresh with a core of good players that can be added to.  If we are now able to go out and get some young players who will grow into a promotion winning side in the next couple of years and bring in some good quality experienced players and loans we can hopefully start to build a squad capable of promotion within their 5 year plan.

Fair enough. But no matter how much dead wood we cut, how do we compete when (as one can read in the “Airman - VOTV” thread), we will have at most £26-28M to spend on our whole club, when the relegated PL clubs have £150M to spend on wages and other clubs routinely spend £50-70M on wages? How? Bowyer is good but he probably ain’t good enough to overcome 5-1 spending advantages. And given this predicament, who is going to want to jump in this fray and take the risk now to buy us? Our wage bill would probably rank in the bottom 3 of the Championship right now and we already have sharks circling for Taylor and we probably lose Aribo too. Seems dicey. I would hate to be the one who replaces Roland and then sees us relegated. New owners like to be heroes, not goats.

I really hope you are right, though! o:)
    Huddersfield did it. Palace did it. Swansea did it.......
    Huddersfield did it with much higher turnover than us when they went up and they blew past FFP rules and got fined for it. A similar breach under current rules would be not just be a fine but a transfer embargo and point deduction.

Palace and Swansea did it. But for each of those two there are many more that failed. Leeds, QPR, Birmingham, Bolton, Leyton, Notts, the list is endless.

If you take a sober, rational look at clubs that escape The  Championship, they make 2x our turnover at the very least, spend 3-5x our 2018-19 wages and then lose more than FFP rules allow (Wolves, Brighton.) Or, they go up with PL parachute payments while losing £70M in one year like Newcastle did two seasons ago.

Neither of these sound like the Aussies to me. Wish they did. But to me at least, they don’t.
  • 1651, Charles 11 escapes to France.

Roger has got this all wrong!  If you have a scoop you surely just show a bit of leg....a bit of a tease......reel them in.....bask in the glow of your "I know something you don't know" moment

What Rog has done there is kick your front door in, naked, done some cartwheels and whacked you in the face with his todger shouting "Bowyer has a new contract....Bowyer has a new contract....Bowyer has a new contract....Bowyer has a new contract....Bowyer has a new contract....Bowyer has a new contract...."

Notwithstanding that - much of what he says has proven to be bollocks

Still - that all said I do believe there is stuff going on that we will hear about this week.  Bowyer has been quiet but appears to be planning for the future, Aribo was speaking as though he would be here.  It's only Williams that has seemingly gone chasing the dollar rather than wait and see.

• Sorry but if you WANT to spend £500 million on players at a club like Newcastle, who the hell are you going to buy?  If the player is good enough they will go to one of the top 6 in England, Barca, Real, PSG, Juve or Munich.  If they aren't going to be good enough for them you won't catch them with a team full of them will you?   It's a bit like saying Real Madrid are worth £3 billion, you might as well buy us then chuck £2 billion in the transfer kitty. 
  • *addicts
  • Sponsored links:

• PopIcon said:

https://www.andrewmcdowall.co.uk/onlineCatalogue/

It would appear this guy is also a model for Andrew McDowall.
    Quality haha, going to tweet him that 
  • I thought everyone knew that Fairtree was a kid mucking about from last season.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
    And that’s the highest they will ever finish spending that amount. With the six clubs above them having literally 2-3x as much to spend or more, Wolves have likely hit their ceiling.
    How much did Leicester spend to win the league again?
  • edited June 2019
    Who the *edited blooming heck* are the addicts?? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Sorry but if you WANT to spend £500 million on players at a club like Newcastle, who the hell are you going to buy?  If the player is good enough they will go to one of the top 6 in England, Barca, Real, PSG, Juve or Munich.  If they aren't going to be good enough for them you won't catch them with a team full of them will you?   It's a bit like saying Real Madrid are worth £3 billion, you might as well buy us then chuck £2 billion in the transfer kitty. 
    Yep. And let’s be honest, what big global star wants to live in Newcastle, 2/3 of the way to the North Pole, when such nicer climate options are available in many countries. 

Newcastle are the next Aston Villa; a glorified yo-to club. They just don’t know it yet.
  • edited June 2019
    Ahem
    "C MALAY F C"
    "C MALAY F C"
    "C MALAY F C"
    "C MALAY F C"

"Give me a C"
    "C"
    Give me Malay"
    "Malay"
    "Give Me an F"
    "F"
    "Give Me a C"
    "C"

• This Fake Tan story ... has this got anything to do with messr Ackworth? 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
    And that’s the highest they will ever finish spending that amount. With the six clubs above them having literally 2-3x as much to spend or more, Wolves have likely hit their ceiling.
    Leicester are the counter point to any argument you can ever make about anything football and finance related. That doesn't hide the fact that Leicester were "doped" whilst in the championship. It was a fluke, it will never happen in our life times again.  Like Nottingham Forest winning back to back European cups. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Absolutely this.

Leicester are the counter point to any argument you can ever make about anything football and finance related. That doesn't hide the fact that Leicester were "doped" whilst in the championship. It was a fluke, it will never happen in our life times again.  Like Nottingham Forest winning back to back European cups. 
    I don't believe in luck as many others do. Everything has a chance of happening, it's how you tilt odds in your favour through preparation, hard work and belief. Much like Bowyer has done this season.  

Winning the Premier League in a season that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc all underestimated them. Their manager got his tactics spot on and the players played out of their skins. They gave it everything. 

Winning One European Cup could be 'Luck' as you put it, for me it's players excelling beyond their capabilities and being underestimated. 
    Winning Two confirms it's more likely my belief than your 'Luck'.

• Is it happening yet?

• I'm still sticking with the Austrians.
  • stick with em chief its only two weeks to wait
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Absolutely this.

I don't believe in luck as many others do. Everything has a chance of happening, it's how you tilt odds in your favour through preparation, hard work and belief. Much like Bowyer has done this season.  

Winning the Premier League in a season that Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs etc all underestimated them. Their manager got his tactics spot on and the players played out of their skins. They gave it everything. 

Winning One European Cup could be 'Luck' as you put it, for me it's players excelling beyond their capabilities and being underestimated. 
    Winning Two confirms it's more likely my belief than your 'Luck'.

I didn't say it was luck, I said it was a fluke, the perfect storm and you need all the cards to come up trumps.  If it wasn't a fluke it would happen all the time, it doesn't. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    Addickted said:
    Reckon Roland got any extra cash for Gomez winning the CL?
    With Meire negotiating the deal?

I suspect we probably owe Liverpool money.
    No. I have just asked a mate and he confirmed no. 

Your mate must be seriously

"In the know"
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!