Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Before @Chizz gets the monopoly.

Would it be more a case of out of the Duchatelet fire and into the frying tan.
  • I'm sorry who is Roger Rose (Fairtree)? Is his information normally 'pucka'? 
  • Did Tan and the Cardiff fans learn to get on in the end?
  • Uboat said:
    Did Tan and the Cardiff fans learn to get on in the end?
    Yep. 
    Once he put them back in Blue (understandably). 
    My besties a Bluebird, I will see if she’s heard owt. 
  • I'm sorry who is Roger Rose (Fairtree)? Is his information normally 'pucka'? 
    No.  He is a wind up merchant. 
  • Anyone else see on NewsNow - same link, different name, Takeover snaps to fan snaps..... obviously corrected 20mins later - did someone type the wrong thing in the wrong headline....??? 🤔
  • Someone on twitter reporting that Tan's nephew has now bid this morning. No mention in the media though but I am that desperate it's true that I am going to believe it.
    Despite this being bullshit, how much money does Tan's nephew actually have?
  • https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x18oiow

A link to Vincent Tan could not go past without posting this link.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 
    It'd cost about 1.5-2bn to buy Arsenal these days. If you had that sort of cash it'd be better to look at a club with potential (like the UAE lot with Newcastle) that you can buy for 300-400m and then spend 600m on the team. If they do that Newcastle will be better than Arsenal anyway, so i think people would be crazy to buy Arsenal right now. Ok they're a big club with worldwide support, but worldwide support doesn't win you games.
    But with the spending power of teams in the Prem, spending 600mil at Newcastle doesn’t mean you are going to do anything. So you could end up wasting a billion. Look at United, spent all that money and haven’t progressed, in fact gone backwards. 
    600m is an entire team of 50m players. I'd like to bet that if you gave Benitez 600m he'd get them into Europe. Wolves have spent a fraction of that and got 7th.
    And that’s the highest they will ever finish spending that amount. With the six clubs above them having literally 2-3x as much to spend or more, Wolves have likely hit their ceiling.

Wolves cheated their way into the PL in the first place. Brilliantly, but they did. Championship clubs are allowed to lose £39M over three years. They lost at least £50M+ just in their last two seasons but got promoted before running afoul of FFP rules thanks to the fact clubs get forever to report their financial results. If they failed to go up last year they would have been hit with transfer embargos and probably a points penalty. It also helps that the owners of Wolves also own a chunk of super agent Mendes’ company (how this is allowed is beyond me) and that he sent Wolves all his personal clients on the cheap as a personal thank you.
  • Right then, all we need now is someone who is ITK to come on here and say this rumour has legs and I can get the Malaysian flag up in the garden

I'm more Interested in the arms. Don't want to be waiting another 5 months because they can't sign the documents 
  • Right then, all we need now is someone who is ITK to come on here and say this rumour has legs and I can get the Malaysian flag up in the garden
    Well he would finally get his red coloured kit! Wasn’t he the one who changed their colours from blue to red a few years ago?
  • Knowing our luck he'd change our red kit to blue
    And change our name to London Dragons while he's at it!
  • Missed It said:
    Knowing our luck he'd change our red kit to blue
    Maybe Red Bull can become investors with him and we can be The London Dragons at Red Bull Valley. While playing in blue kits.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Absolutely this.

So you spend a billion with Newcastle and get 6th? Then what do you do when the teams around you go and spend 150 million? 

Fulham also spent big like Wolves and got relegated. Going and spending money doesn't necessarily mean success. 

That was my point. I agree anyone thinking of buying Arsenal is crazy, but I think anyone interested in buying an English football club is crazy. 
  • Missed It said:
    Knowing our luck he'd change our red kit to blue
    I heard the London Lions...
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    If the Aussies were trying to get money together before, what must they be thinking now with the money they would need to come up with to compete in The Championship? My honest guess is.... “Wow did we dodge a bullet by not buying! WTF were we thinking?”

• If the Aussies were trying to get money together before, what must they be thinking now with the money they would need to come up with to compete in The Championship? My honest guess is.... “Wow did we dodge a bullet by not buying! WTF were we thinking?”

But if their 5 year plan was to get to the premier league then they haven't sunk money in getting out of league 1.  A lot of the dead wood is out of contract and they can start afresh with a core of good players that can be added to.  If we are now able to go out and get some young players who will grow into a promotion winning side in the next couple of years and bring in some good quality experienced players and loans we can hopefully start to build a squad capable of promotion within their 5 year plan.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Absolutely this.

This is a pretty fair summary.  The other point about "worldwide support" is that it is fickle and shallow.  'Fans' 5,000 miles away are going to feel no qualms about abandoning teams they only supported in the first place because they are 'successful' and popular with others around them - and won't get the same amount of stick from their mates if they switch teams (compared with someone in the UK).  It's closer to the scenario of a committed BMW driver/fan deciding to buy an Audi instead - you might be a bit sheepish about it having sung the praises of BMW all these years, but you and your mates soon move on  (especially if your mates are all Audi divers anyway).

But logic never has much to do with the buying and selling of football clubs...
  • edited June 2019
    Chrispy51 said:
    If the Aussies were trying to get money together before, what must they be thinking now with the money they would need to come up with to compete in The Championship? My honest guess is.... “Wow did we dodge a bullet by not buying! WTF were we thinking?”

But if their 5 year plan was to get to the premier league then they haven't sunk money in getting out of league 1.  A lot of the dead wood is out of contract and they can start afresh with a core of good players that can be added to.  If we are now able to go out and get some young players who will grow into a promotion winning side in the next couple of years and bring in some good quality experienced players and loans we can hopefully start to build a squad capable of promotion within their 5 year plan.

Fair enough. But no matter how much dead wood we cut, how do we compete when (as one can read in the “Airman - VOTV” thread), we will have at most £26-28M to spend on our whole club, when the relegated PL clubs have £150M to spend on wages and other clubs routinely spend £50-70M on wages? How? Bowyer is good but he probably ain’t good enough to overcome 5-1 spending advantages. And given this predicament, who is going to want to jump in this fray and take the risk now to buy us? Our wage bill would probably rank in the bottom 3 of the Championship right now and we already have sharks circling for Taylor and we probably lose Aribo too. Seems dicey. I would hate to be the one who replaces Roland and then sees us relegated. New owners like to be heroes, not goats.

I really hope you are right, though! o:)
  • edited June 2019
    Ed. Fake account
  • Fairtree is back!
  • 1650, William 111 is born.
  • The guy is a parody please don't believe a word he says.

Que the 6.01pm Bowyer signs a 6-year deal after I've posted this.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!