Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• The euphoria is understandable and welcomed.  I just get this itchy feeling in my Charlton supporting bones that the Belgian oxygen thief will leave us wanting resources next year and we will suffer as a consequence...  what a bloody waste! 
  • We still have the whole summer left so relax guys, there's still time for a sale. :) 
  • We still have the whole summer left so relax guys, there's still time for a sale. :) 
    There is time yes...........but no sale is going to happen unless RD lowers his asking price.
    Unfortunately it will be the third summer since the original rumour. 
  • Uboat said:
    We still have the whole summer left so relax guys, there's still time for a sale. :) 

Jesus!! Does this thread go back that far??
  • bobmunro said:
    Uboat said:
    We still have the whole summer left so relax guys, there's still time for a sale. :) 

Jesus!! Does this thread go back that far??
    He’s not going to answer you!

• _MrDick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Have have a horrible feeling GM is back in Oz. Either that or he’s up in the middle of the night texting :-(
    He could have gone home to pack up his stuff and move to the Uk? #ClutchingAtStraws
    His family weren't keen before though were they
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019

_MrDick said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Have have a horrible feeling GM is back in Oz. Either that or he’s up in the middle of the night texting :-(
    He could have gone home to pack up his stuff and move to the Uk? #ClutchingAtStraws
    His family weren't keen before though were they

They were, but when ‘it didn’t happen’ they had to start a new school year in Oz. Couldn’t start a new school year here on the offchance. 
    The Aussies could still buy the club without GM staying on as CEO of course. 
  • @Airman Brown

I think I remember you posting a few weeks back that you thought a sale any time soon was no better than 50/50 which to me is actually encouraging. How do you read the situation at this point. 
  • @Airman Brown

I think I remember you posting a few weeks back that you thought a sale any time soon was no better than 50/50 which to me is actually encouraging. How do you read the situation at this point. 
    As per above now is the time from both the buyer and seller’s perspective, but this is RD we are dealing with so common sense doesn’t come into it.
  • 1647, England's puritan rulers ban Christmas, eventually leading to a second civil war.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Here’s some context on the finances: www.votvonline.com

If the club isn’t sold a lot may depend on whether Bowyer gets to spend the extra central revenue or Duchatelet tries to break even.

Excellent piece @Airman Brown

I think some people need to read this a realise that it's not only RDs ownership that is currently preventing us being a "championship club with premiership asperations".  The club can't afford to pay the wages required to compete, over any length of time, at the top of the championship.  We may get lucky one season, but it's unlikely.

Unless we get an owner willing to put in say £30 million a season it's not economically viable.   People talk about an "owner with the ambition to back the manager" what they mean is an owner willing to spunk their own money up the wall.

We are long passed "local boy made good" ownership model.  My fear now is that noone who can afford to buy and run us, in a way most people want, would be stupid enough to do it.   If Roland decides he isn't getting his money back and sells the club on the cheap you open up the market to the likes of Ken Anderson and the chancers at Sunderland (that take over could go very ugly, very soon).   Be careful what you wish for. 
    Agreed, some of those wages numbers are ridiculous. To me there needs to be greater coordination between the leagues so that you don't have teams running up terrible losses, but "getting away with it" by getting promotion, when Birmingham got hit by a points deduction
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2019
    One thing that may help is that we had a number of players, some of whom have left, who were on Championship wages, but I do take the point on the increases in wage bills (a knock on from the Premier League I expect) although some of that will be a distortion from clubs who have been relegated retaining players on premier league wages.

The strategy relies too much on Bowyer's ability to get players in at value, get the most out of them,  run a small squad and then of course there is the over reliance on loans - as mentioned. One could argue a number of the squads are bloated and too reliant on overpaid underperformers, but the over reliance on Bowyer's abilities is less likely to succeed the higher up you go and after all we did have a high budget for League 1 albeit with some on Championship wages, some of whom didn't perform.

One of the failures of Duchatelet's strategy historically has been his devaluing of the role of manager to a head coach role and also very dispensable with experience not valued highly, and not providing enough expertise to back that up via a Director of football for example. I can understand the wish to get great value but this was undermined then by some bizarre contracts and purchases some we assume were speculative to sell on, but then they didn't seem very good at selling on either - not in every case at least.

Anyway he has accidentally got one part right in the retention of Lee Bowyer, but of course has one foot out of the door, and wants we assume to do as little as possible to maintain Championship status.

The travesty is of course, as mentioned above, that Bow is clearly a real talent and could go a long way with some investment if spent wisely. I would go as far as to say he is on course to be one of our best managers in terms of talent - what a shame if that is wasted.

• The idea you abolish the Premier League, and then the money comes back, is for the birds. 
  • *technically he hasn’t yet retented Bowyer...
  • razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

So can we 'blame' Duchatelet? In my view yes, no-one forced him to buy the club, and it appears that he didn't do his homework. He's also wasted a LOT of money with poor hiring, and a flawed strategy in a number of ways, all of which has been rehearsed many times on this site.
    Sorry I didn't mean its not Roland's fault he has wasted so much money and didn't have a credible plan.  I ment that if he went tomorrow unless the new owner was prepared to put in a crazy amount of money we wouldn't be much better off.

Anyone that is prepared to spunk so much money, on a club they have no emotional link with, is probably not fit and proper in the 1st place. This is a problem the EFL now have, do you let an owner you know to be a risk take over a club or do you let it go into liquidation?  I belive that was a choice they had to make with Sunderland in the summer. 
    Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
  • razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Not sure I agree, surely the prestige and money from owning a Premier League club is a factor?
    Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

• edited June 2019
    The whole experience of this season including Bowyers achievement has made me a little more glass half full than I used to be. It’s been a pretty miserable experience over the last few years supporting the club.

I also wonder if our support has galvanised albeit not materially during the normal season, due to the Duchatelet era unifying and even growing our support, and now crowned with a fantastic Wembley experience, an echo of the back to the Valley struggle. This might explain the sellout and noise from the 24k in the semi and even Wembley somewhat.

It would be interesting to see what the  upturn in season ticket sales is, hard to compare with other times tho of course due to the toxicity now -compared with Powell’s era for example.
  • razil said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    razil said:

Absolutely this.
    Abramovich was not a Chelsea supporter when he bought them.

Abramovich bought Chelsea when they had qualified for the champions league.   The money he threw at Chelsea, that was seen as obscene at the time, is chicken feed compared to what has happened at City.

If your prepared to risk, say for sake of argument 150-200 million, on a club like us, with out any guarantee of even getting to the premier league you need your head testing.  Or you have serious cash, if your in the later camp you might as well buy Arsenal. 

• Wasn't the Network's major strategy that between them the six clubs would be largely self-sufficient in players, who would be transferred around the group rosters soaking up spares and filling in gaps?

A bold concept made much less likely to succeed when the senior people involved had no knowledge of,  interest in or feeling for football at this relatively high level.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!