Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• And that folks would explain why The Aussies were always 'The Preferred Bid'.

Murray just can't help himself yet again putting his own interests ahead of those of the club.
    I think Murray would try to insert himself into any deal, to be honest, and that’s also why I believe he would be keen to block any deal involving Varney.

i don’t agree with David White’s opinion on several points in the article but if he says as a matter of fact that Murray came round his house in October 2017 with one of the Aussies I absolutely believe that.

This is when the whole story started to kicked off in earnest and the club, via Karl Robinson, denied anything was happening. At the time I was being told Murray was trying to get into the deal.
    I don't disagree with you at all AB and I was posting without reading any articles but certainly it explains why Peter Varney or his consortium was batted away from the bidding at least.

Is Murray still showing potential buyers around The Valley too? 
  • I'm not sure from that article if RM was part of the consortium or acting as the club's agent.

Maybe both.

Good points about the protests.
  • I'm not sure from that article if RM was part of the consortium or acting as the club's agent.

Maybe both.

Fair point. Meire was the contact for the ex-directors, though, not least because of the bad blood beteeen many of them and Murray.
  • Phew, pretty sure I’ve never said anything unpleasant about Murray on CL. Padded seat in the DB with extra legroom still on then.

Just need the banker to be a hoax now...
  • Green or Wagstaff ?
    Red sauce or brown sauce?
    Brown or White bread ?
    Fish or bread puns ?
    Murray or Duchatelet ?
    The Devil or the deep blue sea ?

Maybe both.

Haven’t read the article, but what you’re saying is that Murray was around and about the place, handling some discussions, possibly for the club. 

Oh. 
  • Chizz said:
    He's selling. If nothing else comes from this thread of almost 150 pages, at least we can take away this one fact: he's selling. He may not be selling today, or this week, or this month. But, he's selling. We all want to know who the new owners are, what the price will be, how much money they've got, what their plans are, who we might sign and what is going to happen to The Valley. All of these remain firmly up in the air. But there's one, cast-iron fact we know: he's selling. He won't want to lose more money. Despite how some people present the opportunities to offset losses against tax, he doesn't want to lose more money. No-one does. It's a stain on his business record, it's a loss to his prestige, it's a drag on his resources and it's a diminution of his - and his family's - wealth. So, either sooner or later, there is no doubt, whatsoever: he's selling. I want to know when and I want to know what's next. But, I can wait. And, if he's reading this, I have one message for him - I can wait longer than you, Roland. Not least because, unlike you, Roland, I have nothing to lose. And that's why this thread - despite being inconclusive on a number of issues so far - is so heartening, uplifting and positive. Because, sooner or later, there's no doubt about it now: he's selling.
    He might still be selling but doesn't appear to have been too worried about losing more money otherwise he would have done so by now.He doesn't seem to realise that, eventually, he will run out of players worth anything to sell. And I'm afraid the "heartening, uplifting and positive" ship carrying my hopes that he would do so sooner rather than later sailed some time ago.

Would be ecstatic to be proven wrong and for it to happen before next season though.

“Proven” wrong. Best pun so far!
  • I heard that as a child the bidder was his mother's pride.
  • Sponsored links:

• I Don’t believe a word of any of it 
    Big home game coming up - unfounded takeover rumour appears. Round we go again.
    So lazy - on the one hand RD doesn’t care about protests, even though he says he does, on the other we supposedly have this sophisticated media operation to put them off, despite the fact the club didn’t know this story was coming yesterday.

Over on Twitter, meanwhile, the story in the Standard is a plot to sell copies of VOTV, even though it came out after that went to press.

I’ve no doubt the story has been put out for a purpose - to flush RD out on price. But the idea it’s about the other things is laughable.

I see it as the other way around.

Dachatelet putting it out there to those interested that £30 mill is in the ball park.
  • Had DW done this interview before any knowledge of the £30m banker bid? He seems pessimistic about a sale happening any time soon. If the bid has come in since, it's at least going to stir things up a bit surely. 
  • Also, we’ve lost our history updates so 

1556 Thomas Cranmer was burnt at the stake for treason & heresy. 
    I just want to know what happens when we reach page 2020
    I’ll take a stroll down to Brighton seafront later and ask the lady who’s got a booth at the end of the Palace Pier.
  • edited March 2019
    From day 1 of Duchatelet's tenure, did Richard Murray back Roland because he had ambitions to one day return with a consortium to the board room because he had unfinished business with CAFC ?

Was Murray playing the long game because he knew that Duchatelet's network model was doomed to fail in English football ?

Is this impassé with the sale of Charlton because of quid pro quo between Duchatelet and Murray, plus RM finding it difficult to broker the deal because of RD eccentric behaviour.

Would the Cafc fan base accept Murray in some role if it meant Roland Duchatelet is history ?
  • 1564, William Shakespeare born.
  • edited March 2019
    Here's the club's position in October 2017, as told to Karl Robinson by "a member of the board".

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-karl-robinson-reacts-to-report-that-takeover-talks-at-advanced-stage/
  • Interesting interview with David White. @Airman Brown - which of his opinions do you disagree with? The idea that RD doesn't want promotion makes sense. I also think he's got right to the heart of how RD operates - on his own stubbornness regardless of what makes a rational business decision. I think you're right about people trying to flush out RD on price, but he is in a world of his own and I think we need more pressure on him. 

• irudd123 said:
    Had DW done this interview before any knowledge of the £30m banker bid? He seems pessimistic about a sale happening any time soon. If the bid has come in since, it's at least going to stir things up a bit surely. 
    Given the SLP goes to press at lunchtime on Thursday, there's no way he could have given the interview subsequent to the story. It was done days earlier.
  • edited March 2019
    rananegra said:
    Interesting interview with David White. @Airman Brown - which of his opinions do you disagree with? The idea that RD doesn't want promotion makes sense. I also think he's got right to the heart of how RD operates - on his own stubbornness regardless of what makes a rational business decision. I think you're right about people trying to flush out RD on price, but he is in a world of his own and I think we need more pressure on him. 

Price, mainly. On whether it has ever been close, I believe the principals and the professionals have believed it was - you don't put the contract into the EFL without believing that for a start. Hence the numerous stories to that effect from me, Rich Cawley, the Standard, Jim White, @JamesSeed and others.

I don't believe he doesn't want promotion - just that he isn't going to put any extra money into it because it's not guaranteed to deliver. He will believe that Vetokele is the answer because that's what his spreadsheet and probably Thomas Driesen tell him.
  • irudd123 said:
    Had DW done this interview before any knowledge of the £30m banker bid? He seems pessimistic about a sale happening any time soon. If the bid has come in since, it's at least going to stir things up a bit surely. 
    Given the SLP goes to press at lunchtime on Thursday, there's no way he could have given the interview subsequent to the story. It was done days earlier.
    And so I wonder IF the idea this offer is more potent than the 'previous five' - would he maybe say differently? Granted, given time for it to really develop what the new offer is. 
  • Sponsored links:

• fortunately we aren't on TV much as we would end up getting new optimistic updates/news on the "takeover" all the bloody time.

Look forward to the next one if we get into the play offs.
  • Murray has well and truly outstayed his welcome. Its sad because for all the good he did,he's now going to be remembered for the douchbag years.
  • JamesSeed said:
    If that’s true, I wonder at which stage he became involved. Oct ‘17 or before?
    Unlikely to have been before as he was 'involved' elsewhere.
  • edited March 2019
    Am I missing something?
    The article didn't really confirm that Murray was involved in the bid.
    Just said he went round to White's place with the Aussies.

So effectively reps for the buyer and seller approaching those owed.

I'm always one of the first to jump down muddled Murray's throat but would err on the side of caution in this circumstance.
  • Interesting read. I would not necessary assume on Murray’s involvement with the Aussie group from that as the Aussie group seems to have changed significantly in 18 months and it wasn’t expressed what actually was the purpose of that meeting.

Equally not writing it off though. 
  • Also, next page, a good read on young Kevin Lisbie, still playing at 40(!!)
  • rananegra said:
    Interesting interview with David White. @Airman Brown - which of his opinions do you disagree with? The idea that RD doesn't want promotion makes sense. I also think he's got right to the heart of how RD operates - on his own stubbornness regardless of what makes a rational business decision. I think you're right about people trying to flush out RD on price, but he is in a world of his own and I think we need more pressure on him. 

Price, mainly. On whether it has ever been close, I believe the principals and the professionals have believed it was - you don't put the contract into the EFL without believing that for a start. Hence the numerous stories to that effect from me, Rich Cawley, the Standard, Jim White, @JamesSeed and others.

I don't believe he doesn't want promotion - just that he isn't going to put any extra money into it because it's not guaranteed to deliver. He will believe that Vetokele is the answer because that's what his spreadsheet and probably Thomas Driesen tell him.
    How can you say that you dont believe he doesnt want promotion, he pretty much said that the other day himself
  • Wonder whether he'll show up at the superstore to buy a scarf. We'll know he has some serious money if he pays the 5p extra to baguette 
  • rananegra said:

How can you say that you dont believe he doesnt want promotion, he pretty much said that the other day himself
    Don’t think he did. He knows the club is worth more in the Championship.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!