Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD ANNOUNCEMENT: Unity Protest in Sint-Truiden on Saturday, March 4th - transport provided

Comments

• edited February 2017

Very serious question as a very normal fan

I'm not a fan of CARD, it's too much for me. Why the hell would you go to a foreign country instead of going to Northampton?

There are about 1,000 threads which would give you answers to this question to this on this website. I am sure you will have come across one in the past. My recommendation would be to find the one about people's personal messages to Roland that B20 delivered. Whilst I will be gutted to miss out on an away trip to the mighty Northampton I am confident I will get another chance next year if I really want to
    Essex_Al said:

HarryLime said:

OK Roland, time to freshen up the duck tape and brush those teeth of yours. Me and the missus have booked a hotel for the night of 4th and so we're staying the weekend. Hopefully the protest coaches will get us there, as the flights and in some respects the trains are a bit steep.
    Will it make a difference? Probably not, but sitting at home watching Sky Sports won't either and there's no way I'd get a ticket for Northampton now I'm not a Season ticket holder or in Valley Gold.
    Two more actors enter the stage.

You certainly know how to treat the wife Harry!

''I'm taking you away on a romantic weekend to Belgium love''

''That's nice of you dear''

''Flights are a bit expensive so I've arranged a nice free coach with some of my friends. Take no notice if there are one or two a little bit worse for wear on their Belgium Lager''

''That's nice dear, I'll look forward to that!''

Class!

• Sint-Truiden isn't blessed with lots of hotels, be warned. Of course, the biggest is Stayen, RD's pile at the ground. You would think it would also be the best. But go look up the reviews on Trip Advisor (sorry, seems its impossible to directly link a TA page). They are both "unique" and somehow depressingly familiar.

Booked a better place (Belle Vie hotel, near the station)

Stayen is functional (and right at the Stadium) - however, if you have an aversion to giving Duchatelet money then you might want to look elsewhere..
    Belle Vie is nice.
    Belrom is also functional - close to the seedier part of town (not that St Truiden is a seedy town by any means)

If you want to stay elsewhere and travel in then Hasselt is approx. 20 mins from Sint Truiden, direct link on train.

Also check AirBnB - last time I went I stayed in cottage in Heers - about 10 mins outside St Truiden
    If it's not seedy I'm not going!
  • Anyone flying from City airport use the code Inspire for 20% discount.
  • olster said:

Away cycling otherwise i'd have been the first to sign up.

Good luck all & keep fighting the good fight.

Thanks for your support Oli @olster it means a lot.

Ps if you find out someone has nicked your bike or slashed your tyres, it's wasn't me :wink:
  • After the coach, the cheapest way to go is eurotunnel.

With a car of four we reckon it is about £50 a head travel return.

Book early to avoid the price rises. I have tried to book a week or two in advance and it can more than double in price.
  • jamescafc said:

olster said:

Ps if you find out someone has nicked your bike or slashed your tyres, it's wasn't me :wink:
    Oli, that is disgraceful!!!

James and I are going to dine on this one for years!
  • Leuven is where my second son was born.

Great place for a night out.

Trying to convince missus and said son that it would be good to make the trip, wish me luck
  • jamescafc said:

olster said:

Have a nice time Olster, ignore what Jimbo says!
  • jamescafc said:

olster said:

Have a nice time Olster, ignore what Jimbo says!
    Come on @ElfsborgAddick, you've met him. Blokes that size don't ride bikes!
  • For those have difficulty finding accommodation in Sint-Truiden, can anyone recommend a modest, budget hotel somewhere near the station in Hasselt?
  • Sponsored links:

• I haven't stayed there but the cheapest option I found close to the station was YUP Hotel at £74 for the night.
  • A day return on DFDS ferry Dover to Dunkirk is less than £80 for a car and 4 people, crossing time less than 2 hours.
  • Helpful - thanks
  • Oooh, thanks, Davo.
  • Just booked Eurotunnel - £30 each way. If you want to leave later both days it's £23 each way.
  • Reading this thread and people booking Eurotunnel and ferries etc have I missed something? How do you know what is planned, when, what time you need to be there etc? I was just sitting tight thinking the good people at CARD would let me know in due course or should I be sorting something out? Are those making plans making a weekend of it or don't want to sit on a coach for hours? If I look into booking Eurostar does that go direct into St Tuiden?
  • Reading this thread and people booking Eurotunnel and ferries etc have I missed something? How do you know what is planned, when, what time you need to be there etc? I was just sitting tight thinking the good people at CARD would let me know in due course or should I be sorting something out? Are those making plans making a weekend of it or don't want to sit on a coach for hours? If I look into booking Eurostar does that go direct into St Tuiden?

@LargeAddick

I am just one of the foot soldiers, but I can help with some of your questions.

There was a request earlier in the thread for people thinking of going to get in touch with charlton.card@yahoo.co.uk

I recommend everyone to do that.

You'll get a reply which will update you on the arrangements, including support with travel arrangements for those who need it. I think at this time some things still need to be kept under wraps.

But being proper Charlton I can tell you all about the trains.:-)

From Ebbsfleet you can take both the 09.15 and 11.15 to Brussels. Eurostar terminates at Brussels, but you just walk down to the main part of Midi station where a direct train to Sint-Truiden will take you on. Eurostar is relatively expensive, but I think it is the way to go, especially if you are close to Ebbsfleet, it is so bloody civilised. Note that when booking, you book "Any Belgian station" and that way you do not pay any extra for the S-T train. The website gets you the cheapest prices.

I am taking the 09.15, as is @TCE. If you need any more help with trains, you are welcome to PM me.

• Will there be dancing after the protests?
  • Sponsored links:

• Just to re-iterate, Sint Truiden is a nice provincial town - with good people to match - very accommodating- even if you are coming out for a weekend independently, there are a heck of a lot of things to see.
  • Just to re-iterate, Sint Truiden is a nice provincial town - with good people to match - very accommodating- even if you are coming out for a weekend independently, there are a heck of a lot of things to see.

Would you please list the things to see. Thanks
  • Will there be dancing after the protests?

Only if I can lead. ;)
  • Solidgone said:

Just to re-iterate, Sint Truiden is a nice provincial town - with good people to match - very accommodating- even if you are coming out for a weekend independently, there are a heck of a lot of things to see.

Would you please list the things to see. Thanks
    Get onto the Lonely planet website.
  • somehow or other I seem to have picked up copy of the tourist brochure 365 days in Belgium.

If you are really after tourist stuff, the Sint Truiden entries are:

Sint-truiden by lights - walk along the illuminated track at sundown with 20 monumental sites and architectural beacons

The playful bird quest - children can play to their hearts cintebt and discover all about fruit/insects

The church of the bequinage - late roman early gothic church with magnificent collection of wall paintings from 1300 to 1600

Museum de mindere - get carried away by this contemporary museum by the exciting story of Francis of Assisi and his 'friars minor'

Climb the abbey tower enjoy a breathtaking view over the city and the region.£

There is however much more to a town than it's tourist attractions and Sint Truiden does have a decent set of eateries, coffee shops, architecture dating back to the 1600s and the odd decent pub.

As well as a very amiable bunch of local residents.

There are a load of other pages in the brochure including Train World in Brussels. A must for every Charlton fan discover the railways of yesterday and tomorrow, visit us and spend an unforgettable day in the Train Wolrd universe.
  • And dont forget Bruges on the way back !
  • And dont forget Bruges on the way back !

Or Oostende for Mussels and chips, right beside the sea
  • Eurostar group discount

Attn. @Big in Brasov, @foresthillred

It's too bad they took so long to get back to me, but it appears that Eurostar will offer a group discount of around 25% for 10 or more people. Too late for @TCE and I, I guess, but if this is of interest maybe best to mail me and I will pass on the email from Eurostar