Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD ANNOUNCEMENT: Unity Protest in Sint-Truiden on Saturday, March 4th - transport provided

Comments

• Solidgone said:

I am thinking of staying in Brussels - I hear the transport is good in Belgium but need to know what the nearest station is for the protest and whether its reachable directly from Brussels and how long it would take?

Hourly service to S-T, and takes an hour.

Liege is a lot closer though, and despite what @se9addick wrote above, I liked Liege (in much the same way as I like Swansea). It's a city with a soul and a spirit.

Really ? I only spent a couple of hours there but it made Eltham look like Santorini !
  • se9addick said:

Solidgone said:

I am thinking of staying in Brussels - I hear the transport is good in Belgium but need to know what the nearest station is for the protest and whether its reachable directly from Brussels and how long it would take?

Hourly service to S-T, and takes an hour.

Liege is a lot closer though, and despite what @se9addick wrote above, I liked Liege (in much the same way as I like Swansea). It's a city with a soul and a spirit.

Really ? I only spent a couple of hours there but it made Eltham look like Santorini !
    Well its a city built on steel and coal, so it isn't going to be like Bruges; but the riverside is nice and it's a city that isn't feeling sorry for itself, but is pulling itself up. If there was a Belgian version of Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the boys would come from Liege.

Re hotels in Liege our Standard friend booked me Hotel Husa De La Couronne Liege, which was €73 room only and was fine. Right across the road from the high speed rail station, itself a quite remarkable piece of modern architecture. But I have the feeling Liege isn't connected to S-T by direct train, so Hasselt may be better if you are not with the car.
  • Sint-Truiden isn't blessed with lots of hotels, be warned. Of course, the biggest is Stayen, RD's pile at the ground. You would think it would also be the best. But go look up the reviews on Trip Advisor (sorry, seems its impossible to directly link a TA page). They are both "unique" and somehow depressingly familiar.

Booked a better place (Belle Vie hotel, near the station)

Stayen is functional (and right at the Stadium) - however, if you have an aversion to giving Duchatelet money then you might want to look elsewhere..
    Belle Vie is nice.
    Belrom is also functional - close to the seedier part of town (not that St Truiden is a seedy town by any means)

If you want to stay elsewhere and travel in then Hasselt is approx. 20 mins from Sint Truiden, direct link on train.

Also check AirBnB - last time I went I stayed in cottage in Heers - about 10 mins outside St Truiden
    How could anyone travel over to belgium to protest against the regime & then stay in a hotel owned by the regime :smiley:
  • T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

I'm struggling to find direct flights, I don't want to spend 8 hours getting there via Amsterdam :(

London - Brussels? there are loads, but depends which airport works for you

City or Gatwick, my old van wouldn't get me there and I don't have any friends that would give me lift. :(
    Gatwick or City are very straightforward by public transport.
  • Stayed there for the second of the pre season friendlies. We got the Sky boxes where the patio doors open out onto the top of the stand. Meant we got free tickets for the game.

They don't make them available for match days now.

Only two rooms left at the Belrom :smiley:

• T.C.E said:

T.C.E said:

I'm struggling to find direct flights, I don't want to spend 8 hours getting there via Amsterdam :(

London - Brussels? there are loads, but depends which airport works for you

City or Gatwick, my old van wouldn't get me there and I don't have any friends that would give me lift. :(
    Gatwick or City are very straightforward by public transport.
    But no direct flights to Brussels on Saturday, it seems

• Sponsored links:

• Booked the Belrom with Threadkiller
    Apologies in advance for drunkenness

Hotel in heart of the red light strip. Tut tut

Great stuff, morts !

• Hotel Reserved - Belrom I think
    Name down with Card for the Travel
    Now to ask the gf if she wants to come as well.
    Depending on what she says i may have a half a room to let out or a full one to exchange with someone

I stayed there for the pre-season game in 2015.

We had a few in town after the game then went back to the hotel a bit early than preferred as my chum had his young lad with him. I then went off for some more beer but just found live models in shop windows!!!!!

I ended up drinking in the petrol station down the road from the hotel.
    I have heard of meths drinkers but petrol Elfs, did it put a tiger in your tank? :wink:
  • RedChaser said:

Booked the Belrom with Threadkiller

We had a few in town after the game then went back to the hotel a bit early than preferred as my chum had his young lad with him. I then went off for some more beer but just found live models in shop windows!!!!!

I ended up drinking in the petrol station down the road from the hotel.
    I have heard of meths drinkers but petrol Elfs, did it put a tiger in your tank? :wink:
    All civilised as they had a 'bar area' in the shop.
  • Announcement from us, The2Percent our role in the Belgium Unity Protest, Live music following the march, venue to be revealed at a later date and its a good one!

I sent you guys a tweet but hopefully I'll be out there, need a hand with anything? Guitar/backline tech so plenty of experience to exploit ha

• well...it occurred to me that I could join RD for lunch if I was that side of the glass :-)

But it seems from the reviews that he's no better at running a hotel than he is at running a football club, so I thought, sod that.

Well Prague I can say from experience that the beefsteaks in his - now not so favorite restaurant, are utterly delicious. Around the best I've had.
    Be assured I there for the very best of reasons.

PS; I am also in the Belle Vie hotel - see you there.
  • Sponsored links:

• just had a quick look at hotels. if (and I hope this will happen) a few hundred of us go down there have I got it right there's only 10 hotels in the town?
  • edited February 2017

well...it occurred to me that I could join RD for lunch if I was that side of the glass :-)

But it seems from the reviews that he's no better at running a hotel than he is at running a football club, so I thought, sod that.

Well Prague I can say from experience that the beefsteaks in his - now not so favorite restaurant, are utterly delicious. Around the best I've had.
    Be assured I there for the very best of reasons.

PS; I am also in the Belle Vie hotel - see you there.

And me......... ;)
  • Booked in at the Belrom as well but I'm Billy no mates so be good to see a few of you there!
  • Try Leuven. 3p minutes on train.
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Sint-Truiden isn't blessed with lots of hotels, be warned. Of course, the biggest is Stayen, RD's pile at the ground. You would think it would also be the best. But go look up the reviews on Trip Advisor (sorry, seems its impossible to directly link a TA page). They are both "unique" and somehow depressingly familiar.

Booked a better place (Belle Vie hotel, near the station)

Stayen is functional (and right at the Stadium) - however, if you have an aversion to giving Duchatelet money then you might want to look elsewhere..
    Belle Vie is nice.
    Belrom is also functional - close to the seedier part of town (not that St Truiden is a seedy town by any means)

If you want to stay elsewhere and travel in then Hasselt is approx. 20 mins from Sint Truiden, direct link on train.

Also check AirBnB - last time I went I stayed in cottage in Heers - about 10 mins outside St Truiden
    Tell me more about the seedy part of town, I'm currently running a Northampton v St Truiden playoff to decide where I go on March 4th and you might just swing it.
    There is a long wide road from town out to the airforce base. Every other building has a semi-naked woman in the window looking for "business" or is a "night club"

Disgusting
    That's genuinely what Liege is like - wonder what it is about these places that attracts Roland ?
    No wonder none of the network players could seem to keep their legs together.

I ended up drinking petrol in the station down the road from the hotel.
  • Try Leuven. 3p minutes on train.

Isn't Leuven the home of Stella Artois?
  • Isn't Leuven the home of Stella Artois?

and home of Meire's old University who awarded her their top academic prize in 2016 for having been appointed CEO at Charlton.

• Booked the only single room left at the Belrom yesterday.