Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

CARD ANNOUNCEMENT: Unity Protest in Sint-Truiden on Saturday, March 4th - transport provided

Comments

• Slightly late to the party but what's the cheapest option still available for this?

I have deadlines for the Monday afterwards so might have to cancel on it last minute so would want to keep as cheap as possible?

PM davo55 as I'm not sure how much detail can be posted here. Walls have ears etc.
  • From the club's blurb promoting free travel to Northampton:

We know how important it is for fans to visit a new stadium

Really?

Perhaps that's why they don't want us to get promoted, because the fans have been to those nice Championship grounds.
    If we stay in League 1 then there might be a chance that there's a new ground or two among the promoted clubs and you never know but, maybe not next season but the one after, we could possibly go into League 2 ourselves. Oh, how excited the fans would be.
    How apt is this sketch from 'Alas Smith & Jones' (made me laugh anyway)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyuW53EJ7-0

Sint Truiden
    V
    Northampton: 'A hideous East Midlands non-entity that doesn't even get a signpost at Spaghetti Junction

Would have loved to know how S&J would have described Charlton
  • So can we get a free breakfast at The Valley and then jump on the Unity coach to Belgium ?

Let's hope so, long time to wait until the buffet.
  • Slightly late to the party but what's the cheapest option still available for this?

I have deadlines for the Monday afterwards so might have to cancel on it last minute so would want to keep as cheap as possible?

Have PM'd you mate
  • Many thanks to the Lifers who have donated £25 (and more in some cases) to sponsor a fellow addick to come o the trip.

As @Curb_It says above, please quote "Sponsorship" on the payment reference.

Now - the next part....

If you would like to come on the Unity Protest but are on a very tight budget, please do apply for a sponsored place.

You can do that, strictly privately, by sending me a PM. I will do a quick check of posting history to ensure we aren't using sponsor money to pay for someone who is strongly anti-protest to come along!

Of course, the sponsored place will be for the coach fare only - which suggests the "there and back same day" option. Anyone on a sponsored place going for the two days will still need to find and pay for their own accommodation.
  • Great sketch @cherryorchard. They possibly wouldn't have too much to say pre-Jan 2014 but would have loads to say now.
  • Would be a brilliant message for CARD and the protests if more people go to Belgium than do to Northampton with the free coaches. Chances of that happening?
  • edited February 2017

Would be a brilliant message for CARD and the protests if more people go to Belgium than do to Northampton with the free coaches. Chances of that happening?

I think that's highly possible (more Charlton fans in Belgium that day than travel on the club's free coaches) but given the relative cost and inconvenience I don't think it's a sensible benchmark.
  • I wonder how many security staff Roland will have to employ. He won't like that.
  • Sponsored links:

• It's not like for like at all.
  • RedPanda said:

Have those who sent the form & paid yesterday had a response...?

RedPanda said:

Have those who sent the form & paid yesterday had a response...?

Not yet
  • Davo55 said:

Many thanks to the Lifers who have donated £25 (and more in some cases) to sponsor a fellow addick to come o the trip.

Now - the next part....

If you would like to come on the Unity Protest but are on a very tight budget, please do apply for a sponsored place.

You can do that, strictly privately, by sending me a PM. I will do a quick check of posting history to ensure we aren't using sponsor money to pay for someone who is strongly anti-protest to come along!

Of course, the sponsored place will be for the coach fare only - which suggests the "there and back same day" option. Anyone on a sponsored place going for the two days will still need to find and pay for their own accommodation.

Didnt realise there was a back in a day option. I may now be able to make it. Have emailed Card for more details.

If I can make it I would appreciate a sponsor being a student...
  • Dansk_Red said:

I have sponsored three places ask for one of those.

Appreciate it mate thank you!
  • Davo55 said:

Many thanks to the Lifers who have donated £25 (and more in some cases) to sponsor a fellow addick to come o the trip.

Now - the next part....

Didnt realise there was a back in a day option. I may now be able to make it. Have emailed Card for more details.

Why don't you take your bird n'all mate to give your housemate a break :wink:
  • Davo55 said:

Now - the next part....

Why don't you take your bird n'all mate to give your housemate a break :wink:
    Haha not sure she'd appreciate the finer points of a football protest.

She thinks I'm a hooligan as it is. Which anyone who has met me would find laughable.
  • From the club's blurb promoting free travel to Northampton:

We know how important it is for fans to visit a new stadium

Really?

I bet da cloooob do not offer unlimited coaches in line with the allocation.
    Five in total (2 on the round about route and 3 starting at the Valley) leaving in convoy.
  • Not sure how to work out the logistics of this trip. I'm working on two conditions:

-I'm looking to be there and back in a day
    -I don't drive and I live at least 30 mins from any of the drop off/pick up points.

It won't be a problem getting to Ebbsfleet on the Saturday morning train. Is anyone planning to make the trip from the Canterbury/Swale area that I could potentially share a taxi fare with at gone midnight? I'm not dodgy I promise...
  • Sponsored links:

• Not sure how to work out the logistics of this trip. I'm working on two conditions:

-I don't drive and I live at least 30 mins from any of the drop off/pick up points.

It won't be a problem getting to Ebbsfleet on the Saturday morning train. Is anyone planning to make the trip from the Canterbury/Swale area that I could potentially share a taxi fare with at gone midnight? I'm not dodgy I promise...

I'll either need to be getting back to Canterbury or maybe chatham. Depends if I go back to uni or the parents house...
  • boggzy said:

It's not like for like at all.

I wasn't trying to say it was, and I appreciate it is not a competition in the slightest. Would just be a nice message to anybody who thinks that everything is rosy and it's only a few people who are still anti-regime.
  • Will people please stop mentioning the buffet, poor old Perks won't know whether to go to Northampton or Belgium.

hah that's easy pop in the Valley for the freebie & then onto Eurostar just to checkout proceedings of course. After all she wouldn't want to comment without knowing the facts would she ?
  • Callum , lets see if anybody answers your question, i'm fairly sure we can sort out any transport problems in time. Let me know if you are sorted else i'll try to find another solution for you.
    We need as many people as possible to go to Belgium, and thats why we are trying to make the logistics as easy as possible for as many as possible.
    Too many possibles !

Great. Thank you! That's given me the nudge I need to donate the £25 regardless of a plan to get home. Can work it out later!

Not sure how to work out the logistics of this trip. I'm working on two conditions:

I'll either need to be getting back to Canterbury or maybe chatham. Depends if I go back to uni or the parents house...
    Sounds like the beginnings of a potential plan!
  • edited February 2017

Would be a brilliant message for CARD and the protests if more people go to Belgium than do to Northampton with the free coaches. Chances of that happening?

I think that's highly possible (more Charlton fans in Belgium that day than travel on the club's free coaches) but given the relative cost and inconvenience I don't think it's a sensible benchmark.
    Under 20% of the clubs supporters attending the match will be on the free coaches to Northampton.

• edited February 2017

Under 20% of the clubs supporters attending the match will be on the free coaches to Northampton.

Indeed, but that was how I read the comparison in the original statement. No way we are going to get more people to travel to Belgium for a protest than supporters (pro and anti protest or undecided) for a first Charlton match at Northampton, and there is no equivalence anyway. A large majority of fans won't be doing either. But the number in Belgium will be substantial.
  • Davo55 said:

Davo55 said:

Now - the next part....

Righto. I posted this very hurriedly this morning before being dragged out round the shops in Windsor by the fair Mrs Davo.

Let me put a bit more flesh on the bones:

1. The protest fund is subsidising the coach travel to enable individual fares to be limited to £25 return.

2. Separately, a number of fans (many of whom would love to come but just can't make the Belgium protests personally) have paid £25 or more into the protest fund to "sponsor" a fellow addick who would like to go but is on too tight a budget.

3. We will use this sponsorship money to pay the £25 fare for deserving fans.

4. Such sponsored places will be allocated subject to availability on the "there and back" same day coach(es). Note: This coach will not arrive back to SE7 until about 2am. It is not anticipated that sponsored places will be available on the two day options - as the cost of accommodation will preclude that possibility for people needing sponsorship.

5. Sponsored places will only be given to Charlton Life members for whom I can check posting history. This is simply to ensure that places are not taken by anyone who is anti-protest and is seeking to disrupt the protest arrangements. Sorry to sound a bit of dictator but my decision will be final - I'm looking after other people's money and will be very careful not to waste it.

6. I will take a £10 deposit from each person given a sponsored place, which I will hold and refund once hey have travelled/protested. This is to discourage "no-shows".

7. If we receive more money in sponsorship than there are places available, any residual balance will be put into the protest fund and help to offset the cost of the coaches.

8. Anyone wishing to apply for a sponsored place, please PM me. This will be strictly private and confidential.
    Are you a referee!