Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long does Robinson get?

Comments

• Options
    He managed a team that finished below our shit storm of a club last season, that suggests to me that his current form is piss poor.
  • Options
    Very naive team selection to play lookman, botaka and ajose from the start, always meant we were likely to get overrun in central midfield and gave us no plan b option from the bench when we went behind.
    He will be given one transfer window but after such a poor start and our owners lack of patience how many on here would seriously being putting money on him being here next season?
  • Options

Very naive team selection to play lookman, botaka and ajose from the start, always meant we were likely to get overrun in central midfield and gave us no plan b option from the bench when we went behind.
    He will be given one transfer window but after such a poor start and our owners lack of patience how many on here would seriously being putting money on him being here next season?

Sacked by March if not in contention for play off spot. Sacked in the summer if not promoted. Only promotion might see him here this time next year. The Irish Carol Fry will be the next fool to take charge
  • Options
    It's quite scary but our form in all competitions is 5 wins from our last 23 games. Indeed all season it's 7 wins from 28 games - a 25% win rate is usually relegation form.

It doesn't 'feel' that bad as some of those wins have been quite impressive (eg Scunthorpe, Bristol R) but the form is quite damning.

The dumb thing is that the form trend was turning slightly positive under Slade (and briefly Nugent), and we have since scored one goal in six and a half hours of football.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

TOO LATE NOW.. Robinson's in and will be here for a while irrespective of results .. The owners should have begged Nugent to change his mind and to take the job, offered him a long gold plated contract .... but NO .. Meire, who knows fuck all about football, falls for the gurning, grinning, smooth talking, big haired bullshitter that is Robinson .. I'll wager the players don't like him and all the time he's at the Valley, they will NEVER go the extra yard for him .. but .. too late now .. he's in

Oh come on Lincs......were you at Bradford last Saturday?
    Those same players certainly put in a terrific shift for him and the team was described by Bradford supporters as the best opposition seen at Valley Parade this season. Despite the 0-0 score line, I know most Charlton fans left Bradford in high spirits.....and I imagine so did the team coach. Now a week later, it's the exact opposite....god knows why, but are you seriously suggesting that in those seven days players have collectively and mysteriously turned against him and are not prepared to cooperate with him?
    You've certainly nailed your sails to the mast regarding Robinson from the get go with some very presumptuous sweeping statements......he may fail he may succeed, who knows....though if the last three years are anything to go by, the odds are certainly stacked against him. If Sir Alec Ferguson took over tomorrow even he would need time to sort out the mess......and let's be honest, we've got a pretty hefty injury problem to some key players at present to add to the mix.
    But FFS Lincs, at least give the bloke a chance.....he's got enough to contend with without us getting on his back from the word go. That may or may not need to be the case at some point....but certainly not yet.
    you make some good points and I agree that the Bradford performance was very good .. However, I was watching the players closely at the end of the game .. Robinson was milking our applause, he was THE man (so he thought) .... taking Konsa's shirt, carefully folding it and almost ceremonially handing it to someone in the crowd .. the players looked almost embarrassed .. I could feel the vibe from them .. 'mmmm we won the point and this twat is all over our hard won point like a bad rash .. '

... Just a feeling .. I don't think that the players are gonna go all out for this super smooth vacuum cleaner salesman ..

an afterthought .. of course, I REALLY hope that I am wrong .. thing is, there is NOT a lot of time to find out unless we're all prepared for even worse results and performances and even more fan unrest and disillusion

(Advice to moi) .. Cheer up f f s .. It's CHRISTMAS ((:>)
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

6 more games and then gone unless he picks up at least 9 points from them.

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

It's immaterial whether Robinson is lucky or unlucky as Roland always dismisses a manager if the form slumps and the results don't happen. Should Robinson depart it would be O'Loughlin until the end of the season.

Personally I can't see what we could usefully change in the January transfers either. We actually have a decent squad for this level as it stands. And probably as strong a squad that we've had for any of the 8 seasons at this level that I've seen since I started going to games in 1967.

So - it's up to Robinson.

Seven

The fixtures:

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
    Hard to see where the points are going to come from in this run of games.
  • Options

It's quite scary but our form in all competitions is 5 wins from our last 23 games. Indeed all season it's 7 wins from 28 games - a 25% win rate is usually relegation form.

It doesn't 'feel' that bad as some of those wins have been quite impressive (eg Scunthorpe, Bristol R) but the form is quite damning.

The dumb thing is that the form trend was turning slightly positive under Slade (and briefly Nugent), and we have since scored one goal in six and a half hours of football.

That form would be poor at the best of times, but when you factor in we are in League 1 then it is just desperate. It seems the fact we now draw more as opposed to losing them all has convinced some people we are getting better. Even were the unlikely to happen and we were to go up via the play-offs, how many of this side would survive in the Championship, because I can't see Roland investing in players who would.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

He humiliated Fox today by subbing him at the end.

Robinson didn't humiliate Fox by taking him off.
    Many clubs take off a full back and put a slightly more attacking player on when chasing the game !

The crowd humiliated him, but supporters Critics have the right to do that. I don't believe in doing that in Fox's case(or any individual) as he gives 100%, even when he is shite ! while he is picked i support him.
    I made it clear that i would have given Holmes-Dennis 10 games to prove himself last season at Left back. no wonder he got pissed off and wanted away.
    We had no team play yesterday just individuals.

Robinson should stay as long as Duchatelet stays ?
    There is no point in this unmerry go round.

Get Fit soon Ricky Holmes, for Robinson and the fans sake.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I don't care if he is sacked tonight or next season, the real problem is not being addressed. But if you really want my opinion I'd say 16 more games max.

Who is Max?
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Dansk_Red said:

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

It's immaterial whether Robinson is lucky or unlucky as Roland always dismisses a manager if the form slumps and the results don't happen. Should Robinson depart it would be O'Loughlin until the end of the season.

Personally I can't see what we could usefully change in the January transfers either. We actually have a decent squad for this level as it stands. And probably as strong a squad that we've had for any of the 8 seasons at this level that I've seen since I started going to games in 1967.

Seven

The fixtures:

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
    I'll ask again, has the Rochdale game been rearranged yet? Either way it's still a tough run of games.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:

I don't care if he is sacked tonight or next season, the real problem is not being addressed. But if you really want my opinion I'd say 16 more games max.

Who is Max?
    He's mad;
  • Options

I'd sack him now, then bring in a different "guest" manager every week until we find one who wins a match. Then he/she can stay until they lose a match, at which point we start the process again.

We've been doing that for nearly three years and it hasn't worked. We should keep the managers identity secret and tell the players the tactics and team selection half an hour before the match and let them get on with it.

Although it looked like we tried that yesterday....
  • Options

Nug said:

He humiliated Fox today by subbing him at the end.

I agree with that, thought the cheering of him going off was awful. He had a very poor game but he was certainly not alone. Quicker we have a midfield that doesn't include Crofts the better, thought he got absolutely slaughtered today in the middle.
    Also agree, shouldn't have been subbed and will echo whats been said above. Thought Crofts was atrocious and much worse than Fox.
    Agree with this Fox wasn't any worse than a lot of them out there yesterday.
    Crofts is shit, only passes backwoods or sideways, when he tries forwards he passes to the opposition. He can't tackle , just look at the 2nd goal he just tries to run along side their player from within their half can't catch him up, then just gives up.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Unless he starts playing Lookman upfront, we will lose more than win and I doubt he will make past mid-January. May I be first to say "welcome Chris O'Laughlin, we will judge you on results"
  • Options
    cabbles said:

RedChaser said:

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

Eh? As strong a squad as CPs record breakers..............I don't think so.
    I'm with Red here. This is not a strong squad. This isn't even a strong XI. If I go through the team, one by one, this is who I think are promotion quality

Rudd - unsure
    Solly - probably not anymore
    Fox - no
    Bauer - unsure
    Pearce - unsure because of the strength of the others around him
    Botaka - no
    Ullvestad - no
    Crofts - no
    Jackson - no
    Holmes - yes
    Magennis - yes
    Lookman - yes but still has tons to learn
    Ajose - no
    Texeira - yes
    Novak - no
    Foley - no
    Lennon - no
    Johnson - no
    Chicksen - unsure

The rest are all youngsters either breaking into the team or just not ready.

I truly believe if you go through one by one, we've probably only got 3 players other teams in this league would take hands down and that's Holmes, Magennis and Lookman.

That's not a strong squad at all
    Are we really saying that Rochdale and Fleetwood have got better players than us? Or are we saying that their players are being used in a better way? Surely the latter.

Apart from - maybe - an extra creative midfielder (and we missed Holmes yesterday, and Kashi remains injured) and a fit full back I can't really see who we could replace. And: why would we? We've spent the last 3 years in continual player churn. Getting rid of half a dozen in January and bringing in another 7-8 will only produce another spell of everyone in the squad getting used to everyone else.

My view is that, accepting a bit of tweaking, this is down to Robinson now.

By the way......is Lookman really that good? He can't take corners or free kicks.
  • Options
    This is L1 not Championship promotion race.

Rudd - unsure. What? Prem player
    Solly - probably not anymore. Prob best RB in this div and most of CC.
    Fox - no. Allegedly turned down £1m+
    Bauer - unsure. Would be decent in division above
    Pearce - unsure because of the strength of the others around him. Any L1 side would have him 1st choice CB.
    Konsa you forgot but on Prem side's radar.
    Botaka - no. Based on about 6 games
    Ullvestad - no. Hard to judge in a weak unbalanced side
    Crofts - no. Agreed with bells on
    Jackson - no. Sorry Johnny but try coaching
    Holmes - yes
    Magennis - yes
    Lookman - yes but still has tons to learn. Less if played in his correct role
    Ajose - no. Agreed
    Texeira - yes
    Novak - no. Really? Hardly played. Not fully fit. Done it at level above.
    Foley - no. Decent cover at RB, not a midfielder
    Lennon - no. Really? Clubs in L1 are queuing up for him.
    Johnson - no. Tosser but been decent in Prem. Get in most L1 sides.
    Chicksen - unsure. WHAT? Rusty but been one of our best when in XI.

The problem is balance of squad and playing guys in their correct position, added to organisation, shape and confidence.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

Dansk_Red said:

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

Seven

The fixtures:

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
    I'll ask again, has the Rochdale game been rearranged yet? Either way it's still a tough run of games.
    Not yet but the game after Scunthorpe is Bolton away.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Sacked by March if not in contention for play off spot. Sacked in the summer if not promoted. Only promotion might see him here this time next year. The Irish Carol Fry will be the next fool to take charge
    Hate to say it but thats where i'm at. I said when he was appointed he has until March (think there's a thread somewhere I actually gave a date in March), if we aren't looking likely to be at least in the play off's at that point he'll be sent packing just like the rest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It’s hard to believe that it was only 12 months ago that we headed into the January transfer window with the hapless Fraeye at the helm. One year on, and the same basic mistakes are still being made; the heart and soul of the club has been ripped out and, at best, mid-table mediocrity beckons: all for the glorification and vanity of Meire and that senile fool in Belgium.

I can’t see Robinson being here too long - not because of this defeat – but whatever his credentials as a manager it’s just a case of wrong time, wrong place. Half the squad seems to have its bags packed, looking for the nearest escape route, whilst Driesen’s probably had their replacements lined up for months.

I reckon KR will get 12-16 games (like Slade) but, given his poor start, the heavy Christmas schedule, the loss of players in January, and the time it takes for new players to bed in, I really can’t see him surviving Roland’s trigger happy finger – most of all because, once it’s clear we’re staying in L1, the incompetent Meire will need another scapegoat to hide behind and blame (more so if we're flirting with relegation).

At least we know how the first programme notes of next season will read: The SMT has engaged with the fans and we realize that some mistakes were made, but our aim this season is to get back into the Championship as soon as possible. Welcome to a new era at The Valley.
  • Options
    Oops some stupid people have interrupted my birthday lunch, I'm on national TV in Belgium looking like an idiot, oh here is a taxi with Roland out on it in my home town, better fire the manager.

It's going to happen again.
  • Options

TOO LATE NOW.. Robinson's in and will be here for a while irrespective of results .. The owners should have begged Nugent to change his mind and to take the job, offered him a long gold plated contract .... but NO .. Meire, who knows fuck all about football, falls for the gurning, grinning, smooth talking, big haired bullshitter that is Robinson .. I'll wager the players don't like him and all the time he's at the Valley, they will NEVER go the extra yard for him .. but .. too late now .. he's in

Those same players certainly put in a terrific shift for him and the team was described by Bradford supporters as the best opposition seen at Valley Parade this season. Despite the 0-0 score line, I know most Charlton fans left Bradford in high spirits.....and I imagine so did the team coach. Now a week later, it's the exact opposite....god knows why, but are you seriously suggesting that in those seven days players have collectively and mysteriously turned against him and are not prepared to cooperate with him?
    You've certainly nailed your sails to the mast regarding Robinson from the get go with some very presumptuous sweeping statements......he may fail he may succeed, who knows....though if the last three years are anything to go by, the odds are certainly stacked against him. If Sir Alec Ferguson took over tomorrow even he would need time to sort out the mess......and let's be honest, we've got a pretty hefty injury problem to some key players at present to add to the mix.
    But FFS Lincs, at least give the bloke a chance.....he's got enough to contend with without us getting on his back from the word go. That may or may not need to be the case at some point....but certainly not yet.
    you make some good points and I agree that the Bradford performance was very good .. However, I was watching the players closely at the end of the game .. Robinson was milking our applause, he was THE man (so he thought) .... taking Konsa's shirt, carefully folding it and almost ceremonially handing it to someone in the crowd .. the players looked almost embarrassed .. I could feel the vibe from them .. 'mmmm we won the point and this twat is all over our hard won point like a bad rash .. '

... Just a feeling .. I don't think that the players are gonna go all out for this super smooth vacuum cleaner salesman ..

an afterthought .. of course, I REALLY hope that I am wrong .. thing is, there is NOT a lot of time to find out unless we're all prepared for even worse results and performances and even more fan unrest and disillusion

Have to admit that I lean towards your opinion, @Lincsaddick .

A bit too much of a showman for me at this moment in time....

....but maybe the PR guy will be tasked with sorting him out.
  • Options

Have to admit that I lean towards your opinion, @Lincsaddick .

A bit too much of a showman for me at this moment in time....

....but maybe the PR guy will be tasked with sorting him out.
    Needs 18 months and financial backing in the transfer market.

Will most likely get, 3-4 months and the bargain bin, before being replaced by CO'L.
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    Listened to his interview after the match and talking about the Millwall match he said all the right things "We want to make our people proud...I know what we have to do here...it doesn't matter how hard they hit us, we have to keep going forwards...we'll be bigger, bolder, faster stronger" - we've had a few managers recently who've said the right things but haven't really delivered when it came down to it, let's pray that Robinson bucks that trend.
  • Options
    Talk is cheap. One goal in four games.
  • Options
    I really hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling this appointment is comparable to Carol.

He appears to be an attention seeking arse licker and I understand not particularly well respected by the players.

You just can't pick an "attacking team" without proper ball winning midfielders, which we haven't got. There is absolutely no balance in the team he picked Saturday.

Unless results improve quickly reckon he could be gone by end of Jan, just as the transfer window closes which means the next one in (almost certainly the Irish spy in the camp) will have little to deal with.

The sorry circus rolls on.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I really hope I'm wrong but I get the feeling this appointment is comparable to Carol.

He appears to be an attention seeking arse licker and I understand not particularly well respected by the players.

You just can't pick an "attacking team" without proper ball winning midfielders, which we haven't got. There is absolutely no balance in the team he picked Saturday.

Unless results improve quickly reckon he could be gone by end of Jan, just as the transfer window closes which means the next one in (almost certainly the Irish spy in the camp) will have little to deal with.

The sorry circus rolls on.

To be fair no appointment, in English football history, has been or ever will be comparable to Karel, yet.
    Fixed that for you mate best not to underestimate how stupid some people can be, huh :wink:
  • Options
    He has got to be given time and money to manage. The constant change of Managers has not worked. We need stability and he needs time to implement changes.