Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

How long does Robinson get?

Comments

• Options
    You watch him play a half-strength side against Millwall, "in preparation for the busy festive period"
  • Options

Im not impressed so far, for an attacking coach we dont attack much and we looked better under Nugent but.......

We have to break this short-termism and allow a manager time.

Though it doesnt really matter how much time or support we fans give any manager.

Duchatelet could sack Robinson and put Cuckoo Chris O'Loughlin in charge on a whim because that's what he does.

Exactly. We need to get behind Robinson for this very reason, as we all know who will be next in charge.
    Um anyone fancy collaborating?
  • Options
    6 more games and then gone unless he picks up at least 9 points from them.

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

It's immaterial whether Robinson is lucky or unlucky as Roland always dismisses a manager if the form slumps and the results don't happen. Should Robinson depart it would be O'Loughlin until the end of the season.

Personally I can't see what we could usefully change in the January transfers either. We actually have a decent squad for this level as it stands. And probably as strong a squad that we've had for any of the 8 seasons at this level that I've seen since I started going to games in 1967.

So - it's up to Robinson.
  • Options
    To answer the thread title, as long as 70 year old bloke who does not watch us decides. Results and performances are irrelevant at our joke of a club
  • Options
    Greetings Roland!! Please give me time to make us great!!!!

Sorry Karl but you will get 6 months max like the rest
  • Options
    edited December 2016

Im not impressed so far, for an attacking coach we dont attack much and we looked better under Nugent but.......

Though it doesnt really matter how much time or support we fans give any manager.

Duchatelet could sack Robinson and put Cuckoo Chris O'Loughlin in charge on a whim because that's what he does.

To be fair, it sounds like we were very attacking at Bradford and just had a day where the ball wouldn't go in. Sounded okay over 90 minutes against MK Dons as well.

The problem with the British manager (SDAddick Cliche alert) is that they will always want to bring in their own players. I can't say I blame Robinson, as he's inherited a team built to play 4-4-2--except without central midfielders who have the quality or athleticism to play as part of a central midfield 2 in the modern game (Foley, Crofts, Jacko). We have no one capable of playing "between the lines," and for a manager who likes 4-2-3-1, that's a huge problem.

So, instead of having a Director of Football driving recruitment and helping to ensure continuity of system, we have a manager who may look to offload 2-3 and sign 3-4 in January. And that may be before we sell off our most saleable assets (Lookman and Konsa). Where does Ajose play in a 4-2-3-1? Is Novak fit and athletic enough play as a lone front man? Do we have two holding midfielders capable or breaking up opposition attacks and starting our own? The answer to me is no, unless we get Kashi back.

So in some ways we're at square one with a squad that has talent in it that should be top 6, and probably on top 6 wages, and yet lacks coherence in its make up, its system, and its balance.

Yaaaaaaay.
  • Options
    So wish we had kept Cousins.

Could we not offer to double his wages and bring him home?
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

He didn't want to stay and he wouldn't come back.
  • Options

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

It's immaterial whether Robinson is lucky or unlucky as Roland always dismisses a manager if the form slumps and the results don't happen. Should Robinson depart it would be O'Loughlin until the end of the season.

Personally I can't see what we could usefully change in the January transfers either. We actually have a decent squad for this level as it stands. And probably as strong a squad that we've had for any of the 8 seasons at this level that I've seen since I started going to games in 1967.

Seven

The fixtures:

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Dansk_Red said:

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

Seven

The fixtures:

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
    When has the Rochdale game been rearranged for then?
  • Options
    KR has a promotion in his Future for us, I can see it. But, more likely to be back into this leauge from leauge 2, than out of it to the Championship. Sorry, the talk is great the reality is, no better than other Network muppets.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

The fixtures:

Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Rochdale (a)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)

Eh? As strong a squad as CPs record breakers..............I don't think so.
    Comparisons are difficult. But........I'd say Rudd is as ok a keeper as Hamer, Teixeira and Bauer (and Pearce) are as good if not better in central defence than Morrison, Taylor and Cort, the midfield is about the same (though Jackson is clearly past his prime now) and up front.....well BWP was better than Ajose and Kermogant, then, was a huge asset. Apart from Jackson, Cort, Wright-Phillips and Kermogant, Powell had - at that point - a team of League One players that he successfully drilled into playing in a League One fashion. Having Jason Euell around on the pitch also helped. What we have now is a squad with more overall experience at a (usually) higher level that is struggling to hit form against typical League One sides.

Unless Robinson gets them playing in the next 6-7 games (just seen the correction above) he'll be gone.
  • Options

KR has a promotion in his Future for us, I can see it. But, more likely to be back into this leauge from leauge 2, than out of it to the Championship. Sorry, the talk is great the reality is, no better than other Network muppets.

Good one.
    Like he'd still be around if there is a remote possibility of us dropping down!!
  • Options

TOO LATE NOW.. Robinson's in and will be here for a while irrespective of results .. The owners should have begged Nugent to change his mind and to take the job, offered him a long gold plated contract .... but NO .. Meire, who knows fuck all about football, falls for the gurning, grinning, smooth talking, big haired bullshitter that is Robinson .. I'll wager the players don't like him and all the time he's at the Valley, they will NEVER go the extra yard for him .. but .. too late now .. he's in

Got to say Lincs. He does seem to have a particularly smarmy, disingenuous manner about him for sure! (KR that is; not Lincs!). Perfect fit for the regime to be fair. It's all a bit too flowery and false for me I'm afraid. Never trusted anyone with such a Cheshire Cat grin. Very dodgy.
  • Options
    The next seven games (excluding the Rochdale Fixture) are

Millwall (a)
    Milton Keynes (a)
    Southend U (a)
    Bristol R (h)
    Millwall (h)
    Scunthorpe U (h)
    Bolton (a)
  • Options
    If we are judging league- experienced managers after 4 games this regime really has poisoned the club.

This thread proves that everyone is destined to fail and its a viscous circle. First sign of anything but success and the natives get angry and it is more mud to sling at the owners (who have done enough to deserve a lot of it). The regime then has to act to temporarily appease the (or at least some) of the fanbase to ensure at least a few thousand keep turning up and to paper over their disastrous tenure so the manager is sacked and the next scapegoat peddled out.

Most who are appointed by this mob are not given a fair chance, even subconsciously by most of us as they are tarnished by association and "must know what they are getting involved with". Maybe they should but maybe the opportunity is too good to turn down for the likes of the managers we will attract and/or the realities of what is occurring doesn't become clear until they're firmly in the dug out and its too late by then.

Got a fan base who are unforgiving after years of incompetence (post Curbishley) and distrust of owners and betrayal by former heroes like Murray so once bitten and all that and we are getting managers in who are afforded very little time or backing by both the board and it appears fans now.

A recipe for complete instability and continued failure.
  • Options
    How long does he get?
    Until Roland and Katrien sod off.

The only change in management that will make any difference is owner and CEO.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

To be fair, it sounds like we were very attacking at Bradford and just had a day where the ball wouldn't go in. Sounded okay over 90 minutes against MK Dons as well.

The problem with the British manager (SDAddick Cliche alert) is that they will always want to bring in their own players. I can't say I blame Robinson, as he's inherited a team built to play 4-4-2--except without central midfielders who have the quality or athleticism to play as part of a central midfield 2 in the modern game (Foley, Crofts, Jacko). We have no one capable of playing "between the lines," and for a manager who likes 4-2-3-1, that's a huge problem.

So, instead of having a Director of Football driving recruitment and helping to ensure continuity of system, we have a manager who may look to offload 2-3 and sign 3-4 in January. And that may be before we sell off our most saleable assets (Lookman and Konsa). Where does Ajose play in a 4-2-3-1? Is Novak fit and athletic enough play as a lone front man? Do we have two holding midfielders capable or breaking up opposition attacks and starting our own? The answer to me is no, unless we get Kashi back.

So in some ways we're at square one with a squad that has talent in it that should be top 6, and probably on top 6 wages, and yet lacks coherence in its make up, its system, and its balance.

Yaaaaaaay.
    Good Post

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If we are judging league- experienced managers after 4 games this regime really has poisoned the club.

This thread proves that everyone is destined to fail and its a viscous circle. First sign of anything but success and the natives get angry and it is more mud to sling at the owners (who have done enough to deserve a lot of it). The regime then has to act to temporarily appease the (or at least some) of the fanbase to ensure at least a few thousand keep turning up and to paper over their disastrous tenure so the manager is sacked and the next scapegoat peddled out.

Most who are appointed by this mob are not given a fair chance, even subconsciously by most of us as they are tarnished by association and "must know what they are getting involved with". Maybe they should but maybe the opportunity is too good to turn down for the likes of the managers we will attract and/or the realities of what is occurring doesn't become clear until they're firmly in the dug out and its too late by then.

Got a fan base who are unforgiving after years of incompetence (post Curbishley) and distrust of owners and betrayal by former heroes like Murray so once bitten and all that and we are getting managers in who are afforded very little time or backing by both the board and it appears fans now.

A recipe for complete instability and continued failure.

I agree with all this apart from the bit about "the regime has to act to appease the fans" - they don't give a monkey's what we think... whether we support the managers or not Roland will get an itchy trigger finger every few months regardless.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

You can't see what we could change in the transfer window ? You must be the only supporter that thinks we don't need strenghtening.

Solly of a few years back, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson of a few years back, SWP, Kermorgant and probably others I can't be bothered to remember would stroll into our team now.

Powell's promotion team would be top of this division today, not languishing in the bottom half.
  • Options

Absolute rot. Solly of a few years back, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson of a few years back, SWP, Kermorgant and probably others I can't be bothered to remember would stroll into our team now.

Powell's promotion team would be top of this division today, not languishing in the bottom half.
    This all day long
  • Options
    edited December 2016

He humiliated Fox today by subbing him at the end.

I can't agree with this. If Fox felt humiliated, it was by his own inept performance (I know 5 others were as bad).

Otherwise, are we saying a manager can't sub anyone who is playing poorly, in case they feel humiliated ?

Surely that is one of the main reasons to sub a player ?
  • Options
    I actually think Robinson will be a decent manager for us and I hope he gets enough time to prove it.

But the hype around his appointment and the willingness of some fans to take his arrival as their cue to throw their support behind this despicable regime was and remains complete and utter nonsense.

Robinson isn't the messiah. He's just a very ok manager.
  • Options

Absolute rot. Solly of a few years back, Wiggins, Morrison, Jackson of a few years back, SWP, Kermorgant and probably others I can't be bothered to remember would stroll into our team now.

Exactly. This division is way worse than 2011-2
  • Options
    edited December 2016
    I think the most surprising statistic to come out of the last four games is that we've only scored on goal. That might be true even if you've seen all of them (I've only seen two).

With three away matches to follow, Robinson could easily go seven games without a win before he gets to bring a player in. Or we could win at Millwall and the last four matches will be forgotten.
  • Options
    We're crying out for stability. Now that he's in there he must be given some time.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

TOO LATE NOW.. Robinson's in and will be here for a while irrespective of results .. The owners should have begged Nugent to change his mind and to take the job, offered him a long gold plated contract .... but NO .. Meire, who knows fuck all about football, falls for the gurning, grinning, smooth talking, big haired bullshitter that is Robinson .. I'll wager the players don't like him and all the time he's at the Valley, they will NEVER go the extra yard for him .. but .. too late now .. he's in

Oh come on Lincs......were you at Bradford last Saturday?
    Those same players certainly put in a terrific shift for him and the team was described by Bradford supporters as the best opposition seen at Valley Parade this season. Despite the 0-0 score line, I know most Charlton fans left Bradford in high spirits.....and I imagine so did the team coach. Now a week later, it's the exact opposite....god knows why, but are you seriously suggesting that in those seven days players have collectively and mysteriously turned against him and are not prepared to cooperate with him?
    You've certainly nailed your sails to the mast regarding Robinson from the get go with some very presumptuous sweeping statements......he may fail he may succeed, who knows....though if the last three years are anything to go by, the odds are certainly stacked against him. If Sir Alec Ferguson took over tomorrow even he would need time to sort out the mess......and let's be honest, we've got a pretty hefty injury problem to some key players at present to add to the mix.
    But FFS Lincs, at least give the bloke a chance.....he's got enough to contend with without us getting on his back from the word go. That may or may not need to be the case at some point....but certainly not yet.